Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

My unit hosed up my discharge and I didn't get a reserve commission when I got out, and I think that's fairly standard to get. I think you lose your AD commission and end up with a reserve commission (at least, you're supposed to).

Are you a west pointer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Well I have my physical commission as a document (DA Form 1), and I had two appointments- one as an officer in the reserve and one as an officer in the PA national guard. My get out of jail documents say the appointments are terminated but says nothing about the commission. I just figure it would be silly if they left me the commission since the official discharge reason is non-selection for promotion.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Soulex posted:

Goddamn retard loving American drivers. Took me literally an hour and a loving half to go from JBLM to Lacey. Suck my dick cunts. Every loving one of you that caused this bullshit.

Fortunately traffics been pretty good to me both on the way and leaving JBLM, 30 minutes tops to get to north Tacoma during rush hour.

Triggs posted:

- Fridge bitch
- OPORD/taskings bitch
- BN CDR's special events/projects bitch

That's about it. You're too new to the BN to really know how to run anything so they'll probably stick you with writing OPORDs. Don't get your hopes up that you'll go straight to a platoon, its not unusual for guys to sit on staff for a year (at least in aviation).

In my squadron I think it's about 6 months or so. My sponsor got his platoon about a month before he got 1LT, I should be getting O2 around December this year. However at least one of the battalions in my brigade must be short for LT's because I had an infantry company commander try to steal me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
TDY is over and I have to go back. I am sad.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Fortunately traffics been pretty good to me both on the way and leaving JBLM, 30 minutes tops to get to north Tacoma during rush hour.

In my squadron I think it's about 6 months or so. My sponsor got his platoon about a month before he got 1LT, I should be getting O2 around December this year. However at least one of the battalions in my brigade must be short for LT's because I had an infantry company commander try to steal me.

Another word of advice is there are a lot of unique/different ways of doing things that aren't taught by doctrine. I remember once we got a new LT that did everything by the book but at least admitted he still had to learn all of our techniques. Just listen to your NCOs and ask them how they do things- not because you don't know, but because they might do things differently that works better for your unit. Just saying in case you get scooped up for a platoon.

Stuff like making a cigar/football shaped ORP instead of a triangle, sitting down beside each other in a line for halts if you work in smaller teams, etc. obviously that's more geared towards RSTA units but you know what I mean.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm the least likely person to do things strictly by the book or to think they know everything, I'll do whatever makes the most sense/is easier.

Also I am in a RSTA unit so those are the kinds of things I'll have to learn.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Well I have my physical commission as a document (DA Form 1), and I had two appointments- one as an officer in the reserve and one as an officer in the PA national guard. My get out of jail documents say the appointments are terminated but says nothing about the commission. I just figure it would be silly if they left me the commission since the official discharge reason is non-selection for promotion.

My understanding, from back in the stone age when I was commissioned, is that once your commissioned from any source it stays with you until you resign/turn 62/get it taken away.

I had a buddy try and resign AFTER he REFRADed and DC denied it. So he'll have the specter of being called back until he's 62 I guess.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I know this gets replied every other page re: your posts but seriously

Mustang posted:

I'm the least likely person to do things strictly by the book or to think they know everything, I'll do whatever makes the most sense/is easier.

Also I am in a RSTA unit so those are the kinds of things I'll have to learn.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

that and weapon draw are the best TL comics

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Are you a west pointer?

gently caress no. OCS grad, I was supposed to owe a few years IRR time after I got out. When I tried to fix it and get into civil affairs, the recruiter directed me to a reappointment board that meets once a year and I lost interest.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ah, DUI paperwork. Including my one special little angel on his third DUI who decided to run from the cops instead of pulling over.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also my toothless E-5 who admitted to me during a long car ride that he tried meth "once". Totally unsolicited information.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Also my toothless E-5 who admitted to me during a long car ride that he tried meth "once". Totally unsolicited information.

OH nice to see you again sir

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
we had a toothless methface too :unsmith:

also one guy who was on meth before the army, got choice of duty station to irwin after our iraq deployment so "he could be closer to his family" and then got busted down from E5 to E1 for doing meth again once he got stateside.

lol enlisted

HAVE FUN LT MUSTANG!!!!!

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mustang posted:

The PL pipeline in infantry is probably quicker than in aviation because aviation hinges on RL progression so you're probably safe. Even then, all roads lead to S3.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
saw a kid in AIT probably get like 10k worth of dental work replacing his black methmouth. I'd say no matter what happened after that, I mean providing he didnt die in combat, his enlistment was completely worth it for that alone.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm getting something like 20-30k in dental work during my last year in and it's making it a lot more bearable. Something something senioritis.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

saw a kid in AIT probably get like 10k worth of dental work replacing his black methmouth. I'd say no matter what happened after that, I mean providing he didnt die in combat, his enlistment was completely worth it for that alone.

I have seen this more than once. The transformation is amazing.

Had a dude who just drank well water his entire life and lived in the country. So his teeth were black nasty. He got an entire mouth full of hollywood looking perfect chompers. Dude was grinning ear to ear non-stop from that day forward.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Soulex posted:

Goddamn retard loving American drivers. Took me literally an hour and a loving half to go from JBLM to Lacey. Suck my dick cunts. Every loving one of you that caused this bullshit.
I haven't been to EVERY state yet, but Western Washington drivers are still the worst I've encountered.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bell_ posted:

I haven't been to EVERY state yet, but Western Washington drivers are still the worst I've encountered.

Easily. Seattle and Tacoma had the absolute dumbest traffic accidents I have ever witnessed occurring every hour.

Colorado drivers are also pretty awful.

I figured both legalized weed because trying to get through anything close to urban in either state is PTSD inducing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

massachusetts drivers are the worst

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm usually really reluctant to be "PLACE X DRIVERS ARE THE WORST" but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck spokane.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tbh i dont blame mass drivers, they've been institutionalized by the Big Dig and Boston road placement in the revolutionary times

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bell_ posted:

Hey, we're at least on par with California

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Booblord Zagats posted:

Easily. Seattle and Tacoma had the absolute dumbest traffic accidents I have ever witnessed occurring every hour.

Colorado drivers are also pretty awful.

I figured both legalized weed because trying to get through anything close to urban in either state is PTSD inducing

I haven't driven most of the US, but Colorado will always hold a special place in my bowels for the most oblivious motherfuckers ever to climb behind the wheel of anything with a combustion engine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not speaking to the quality of drivers, but I have not experienced any real traffic since I moved out of honolulu and off of oahu. My longest trip home to waikiki from pearl harbor (12 or so miles all of which is some sort of highway and/or freeway) was almost 3 hours on valentines day 2011. Additionally, I rarely see someone cut across three lanes of traffic to turn left or right which was commonplace in hawaii.

brains
May 12, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

massachusetts drivers are the worst

*most aggressive

not caring here posted:

I haven't driven most of the US, but Colorado will always hold a special place in my bowels for the most oblivious motherfuckers ever to climb behind the wheel of anything with a combustion engine.

the biggest problem with drivers in colorado is the staggering number of transplants who have never, ever seen, let alone driven in, snow. they see a single flake fall from the sky and go full retard (looking at you, every texas plate i ever saw there).

slowest drivers: alabama. good god. these people put driving miss daisy to shame.

edit: real talk tho everyone everywhere is terrible at driving. see also that guy in here awhile back that was like "turn signals lol losers who actually uses those??"

brains fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2016

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I joined fairly late so I had my wisdom teeth fully grown and in place. Had no problems at all but they had to come out because reasons. Dentist even said they wouldn't ever be an issue because they were fully grown and not a problem but welp.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The drivers from Mexico in El Paso are ridiculous, not in the sense of actual reckless driving but I have a fair assumption that they think the speed limits in America are in KPH. They are always doing at least 50-55 on the highway. It's a magical sight to see 3-4 cars all swerve into other lanes doing 75 trying to avoid the tiny Toyota truck doing 50 in the middle of a 4 lane interstate.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
^ It might have been false, but when I lived there the explanation was that the Mexicans didn't need automobile insurance. Either way, I gave Chijuajua plates a wide berth.

I've been at Carson a year, and Colorado drivers haven't bothered me as much as some. Then again, maybe I have to drive further north to get my hate on. The roads where I'm at are usually a mess with faded lines making it tricky to tell which lane is which whenever the weather turns sour.

I'm going to mention North Carolina while I'm at it. Not that I noticed drivers sucking, but at any time of the year you're going to find dead cars pulled to the side of the road. I have no idea why.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The story I got from friends back when I lived in west texas was "there's no point in getting insurance on a $500 car. You just go buy another $500 car."

Always have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance for that reason. There's always someone just bouncing from one shitbox to the other.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

The drivers from Mexico in El Paso are ridiculous, not in the sense of actual reckless driving but I have a fair assumption that they think the speed limits in America are in KPH. They are always doing at least 50-55 on the highway. It's a magical sight to see 3-4 cars all swerve into other lanes doing 75 trying to avoid the tiny Toyota truck doing 50 in the middle of a 4 lane interstate.

Mexican drivers are my most hated group out here. I get stuck behind so many of those assholes doing 45km in a 45 MPH zone

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gahhh when I was in Korea I was on a small camp (Camp Jackson, if you did PLDC/ALC in korea you know the place)

anyhow I was the only person apparently that was able to drive the manual box truck and bongo we had on camp for driving to yongsan or casey to get supplies and other menial tasks. Freaking SNCOs riding with me would be like freaking the gently caress out because I was going 80 or 90KPH on the freeway like uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

so basically the opposite :/

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

E:^^^^^^^^ Bunch of candy asses, rule #1 in Korea has always been "go fast".

California and Washington I remember being terrible just for the sheer number of people on the road at rush hour, and Seattle's godawful freeway exit system.

Boulder/Denver area Colorado had a ton of transplants that I'm pretty sure had never ever heard of snow. I've got some fond memories of post-blizzard highway bumper cars.

Texas, though, was some Mad Max poo poo. Guns waving, wildly variable speed limits, casual disregard for the concept of stuff like "insurance" and "lanes", and one frozen morning I watched three cars in a row slide through a four way stop doing a good 50, one of them sideways somehow.

Conversely, Oklahoma had probably the most polite and aware drivers of anywhere I've ever been. Go figure.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 21, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's the ghost accidents here that piss me off more than anything.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My most hated group of drivers always has been and always will be Canadians.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You haven't driven in a poorer Courtney have you?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress washington traffic, gently caress the WSDOT, and gently caress washington drivers

horrible drivers + lovely state DOT + stupid loving roads built in the fifties and haven't been improved or upgraded since then for the boom in population makes it all a shitshow. we literally have one major freeway for the entire area (not including 405 and poo poo around seattle and bellevue) with 3-4 lanes. no loving wonder we have poo poo traffic all the time. DOT and politicians are too busy embezzling money to do anything.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Massholes are, hands down, the worst, followed close behind by Washington and Jersey drivers. Alabama gets an honorable mention just because everyone drives like a grandma.

Anyway, this has been going on for a few days now at NTC:

5-20 :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

Anyway, this has been going on for a few days now at NTC:

5-20 :lol:

I wouldn't look down on a man for fragging him.

• Locked thread