Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kopijeger posted:

Who is the bald guy left of Shani/ below Siegfried? Could the ba Thaler, but hard to tell. Don't recognise the guy directly behind Adda and the Lady of the Lake.

Definitely Thaler. Wears the that high collar coat. don't recognize the guy behind adda either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So I just finished all of the MQ and HoS. Game was baller as heck, full stop. I dicked around and tried a mono blue, UR, and GR build throughout the game. It does appear that Green is just straight up the best

Anyway, I deliberately avoided this thread and other spoilers and only looked up guide stuff when actually stuck and this is how it shook out

Sided with Crones over Creepy Tree, this may have been a mistake
Baron and Anna poochie back to the homeworld of lovely couples

Helped Triss smuggle the Mages to Kovir, said I loved her. I missed out on the quest to examine Philipa's Megascope part in greater detail though, whoops.
Didn't let the mage hunters torture her. Menge went down like a bitch, finished him after one Aard. Killed Cyprian Wily, the Whoreson.

I skipped a lot of the ? in Skellige but I did a few of the quests and as many contracts as I could find.

Helped Hjalmar kill the Giant, let him take the credit
Helped Cerys the Cutie free the Jarl from the Hymm. Baby right in the Oven, Geralt really is a sucker for a pretty face and a "well draped skirt (lmao Ermion)"!
Cerys is Queen of All Skellige, sucks for Svanrige he seemed alright
Did the Last Wish. I didn't really like Yen all that much before the Last Wish and post break up Khaer Moren, but I did feel bad after all that. I laughed out loud after Geralt badgered her into talking about her feelings and she raged out about the bed being covered with red hair, and teleported him a few hundred feet above the lake. I'm reading the books now so my thoughts on all Geralt's waifus are changing by the book.

I got everyone I could to Kher Moren, woot. Roche, Ves, and Letho talked some poo poo, it was good. "Eredin's a king, aint he?"
Keira and Lambert are adorable together
Eskel sad :smith:

Ciri lived through defeating the White Frost, and became a non mutated Lady Witcher because she is metal AF.
After the assassination (Philippa Eilhart ain't nothin to gently caress with) of Radovid Emhyr conquers the North but grants Temeria autonomy.
Geralt and Triss live a life of ease, luxury, and superhuman sexuality in Kovir. Good on them, they earned their retirement.

Somewhere in the hazy timeline brought on by expac rules, Geralt accepts Von Everc's contract and poo poo goes down hill from there. TL:DR, shagged Shani (who owns), learned about challenging Master Mirror to a duel of wits, opts not to. Olgierd was a right piece of work, and got what was coming to him. Geralt got a Horn of Plenty out of the deal, and some time with Shani. Ain't so bad. Headcanon is this occurred before he commits to Triss cause timeline is fuzzy.

Tell me how I hosed everything/should have picked another waifu/etc/etc

Do I start a NG+ now, or wait until after I've done a playthrough of B&W with this Geralt? Decisions, decisions.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Good stuff

Up until HoS your play was pretty much point for point the same as mine. Only thing was sticking with Triss's plan against Menge. Think it all fit together pretty drat well. As for NG+ I was tempted but I'm going to wait for BaW then if I have enough free time go through again being all magical and poo poo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Rygar201 posted:

So I just finished all of the MQ and HoS. Game was baller as heck, full stop. I dicked around and tried a mono blue, UR, and GR build throughout the game. It does appear that Green is just straight up the best

Anyway, I deliberately avoided this thread and other spoilers and only looked up guide stuff when actually stuck and this is how it shook out

Sided with Crones over Creepy Tree, this may have been a mistake
Baron and Anna poochie back to the homeworld of lovely couples

Helped Triss smuggle the Mages to Kovir, said I loved her. I missed out on the quest to examine Philipa's Megascope part in greater detail though, whoops.
Didn't let the mage hunters torture her. Menge went down like a bitch, finished him after one Aard. Killed Cyprian Wily, the Whoreson.

I skipped a lot of the ? in Skellige but I did a few of the quests and as many contracts as I could find.

Helped Hjalmar kill the Giant, let him take the credit
Helped Cerys the Cutie free the Jarl from the Hymm. Baby right in the Oven, Geralt really is a sucker for a pretty face and a "well draped skirt (lmao Ermion)"!
Cerys is Queen of All Skellige, sucks for Svanrige he seemed alright
Did the Last Wish. I didn't really like Yen all that much before the Last Wish and post break up Khaer Moren, but I did feel bad after all that. I laughed out loud after Geralt badgered her into talking about her feelings and she raged out about the bed being covered with red hair, and teleported him a few hundred feet above the lake. I'm reading the books now so my thoughts on all Geralt's waifus are changing by the book.

I got everyone I could to Kher Moren, woot. Roche, Ves, and Letho talked some poo poo, it was good. "Eredin's a king, aint he?"
Keira and Lambert are adorable together
Eskel sad :smith:

Ciri lived through defeating the White Frost, and became a non mutated Lady Witcher because she is metal AF.
After the assassination (Philippa Eilhart ain't nothin to gently caress with) of Radovid Emhyr conquers the North but grants Temeria autonomy.
Geralt and Triss live a life of ease, luxury, and superhuman sexuality in Kovir. Good on them, they earned their retirement.

Somewhere in the hazy timeline brought on by expac rules, Geralt accepts Von Everc's contract and poo poo goes down hill from there. TL:DR, shagged Shani (who owns), learned about challenging Master Mirror to a duel of wits, opts not to. Olgierd was a right piece of work, and got what was coming to him. Geralt got a Horn of Plenty out of the deal, and some time with Shani. Ain't so bad. Headcanon is this occurred before he commits to Triss cause timeline is fuzzy.

Tell me how I hosed everything/should have picked another waifu/etc/etc

Do I start a NG+ now, or wait until after I've done a playthrough of B&W with this Geralt? Decisions, decisions.

Your waifu is bad and you should have picked Yen, both or neither.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mostly am excited for eventually hitting NG+ so I can actually play Gwent this time around because apparently it is the bee's knees. Unfortunately I am in places with high level players and don't really want to backtrack to start over

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The most interesting O'Dimm reward to me was the saddle, best stamina boost in the game (although that's not really that important outside of the racing side quests) and it turns Roach demonic and gives her the ability to stun enemies in combat. Food and alcohol are easy enough to loot that they're practically infinite already anyway.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I didn't notice all the other free DLC either, so I basically have to do another run with all that on. I think I'll play through Blood and Wine first though, then see what it's like if Geralt picks Yen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
:nws: So, uh, some people are very dedicated to their cosplay. :nws:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

1/10 no unicorn.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The unicorn is taking the photos.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I just finished the Witcher 2 (finally), and while having two "paths" sounds cool on paper, I feel like it would have been a better game with just one. Having to replay the cursed battle sucks, and all the environments are just reused. Despite being a large, overarching conflict involving so much of the North, the game and narrative feel strangely cramped. Find the kingslayer and clear your name! By going through a swamp, a camp, a city, and a dead city. A lot of events that should have had proper cutscenes also just sort of happen. Triss is being taken away by the Nilfgaardians! Let's just watch the boat slowly drift away and then exclaim that it's too late. It's actually kind of difficult to put my finger on it exactly, but just things like that.

Also, Roche and the Blue Stripes have to be the least competent special forces I've ever seen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

drkeiscool posted:

I just finished the Witcher 2 (finally), and while having two "paths" sounds cool on paper, I feel like it would have been a better game with just one. Having to replay the cursed battle sucks, and all the environments are just reused. Despite being a large, overarching conflict involving so much of the North, the game and narrative feel strangely cramped. Find the kingslayer and clear your name! By going through a swamp, a camp, a city, and a dead city. A lot of events that should have had proper cutscenes also just sort of happen. Triss is being taken away by the Nilfgaardians! Let's just watch the boat slowly drift away and then exclaim that it's too late. It's actually kind of difficult to put my finger on it exactly, but just things like that.

Also, Roche and the Blue Stripes have to be the least competent special forces I've ever seen.

Yeah, it's a gimmick. There's a reason Witcher 3 doesn't have anything of sort.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Megazver posted:

Yeah, it's a gimmick. There's a reason Witcher 3 doesn't have anything of sort.
Nah Blue Stripes are back in TW3.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

That's really good. The amount of photoshop makes it look a little off though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

So, is letting Master Mirror claim Von Everec's soul the minority choice? Olgierd seems love the last person you'd risk your soul for. Odimm is definitely hella evil and all, but I'm not sticking my immortal soul on the line for Olgierd.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

So, is letting Master Mirror claim Von Everec's soul the minority choice? Olgierd seems love the last person you'd risk your soul for. Odimm is definitely hella evil and all, but I'm not sticking my immortal soul on the line for Olgierd.

Olgierd is not a good person, but not so evil I'd feel good about giving him to whatever the gently caress O'Dimm is and when else are you going to get a chance to tweak the nose of a primordial Evil? Besides, duh, it's game, you're obviously going to succeed/survive it. If it was real life, uh, sorry mate.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Rygar201 posted:

Geralt kills monsters.
Odimm absurdly evil demon evil monster thing that lives forever.
Olgierd only typical human being.

That's how i rationalized my choice at least! Now if games had in any way taught me that there was a possibility Odimm would just kill Geralt and that would be game over or there would be any repercussions i would obv not have messed with him.

edit: also he tried to manipulate and control me and i quite frankly took offense

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 21, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The amusing thing is if you don't interfere Geralt comes out of the whole ordeal smelling like a rose. Odimm sets you on the path to Yennefer (presumably he wants Ciri to save his sandbox), saves you from Ofieri (Von Everec's doing), and the handsomely rewards Geralt for his services.

I thought about it this way. Odimm is twisty evil yeah, but Geralt can be played as someone who avoids killing intelligent monsters, and as someone who avoids pulling people out of their own messes. Basically, Olgierd made his filthy bed and no one's going to pay Geralt to take the considerable risk of pissing off this nameless terror.

Alsop Olgierd set Geralt up from the word go.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 21, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Geralt already beat him once and it's not like he's going to enter into any new contracts with him. Seems like a pretty safe solution really.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Weird bug I didn't have my first playthrough: I'm doing the Tower of Mice quest and decided to raid that little island to the south of Fyke (the one with the ruins and the Witcher gear). I got hit and Geralt's reaction sounds were replaced with what sounds like Ciri's. It's weird because it has that female townsperson scream whenever he sights enemies. I'm hoping a reload of the game fixes it, but I saved in a different slot just in case.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Geralt kills monsters.
Odimm absurdly evil demon evil monster thing that lives forever.
Olgierd only typical human being.

That's how i rationalized my choice at least! Now if games had in any way taught me that there was a possibility Odimm would just kill Geralt and that would be game over or there would be any repercussions i would obv not have messed with him.

edit: also he tried to manipulate and control me and i quite frankly took offense

one of the recurring themes of the Witcher series is that humans are the real monsters, I don't think Geralt would side with Olgierd just because he's human

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Seriously, it's not like Olgierd is riding down the high road, minding his business and gets attacked by some beasty. The guy sold his soul and his brother's life for riches. Geralt doesn't owe him poo poo.

I actually love how the timed responses keep me honest.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I grew to really enjoy Olgeird and his ghost brother. It was obvious O'Dimm was behind it the second a weird rear end in a top hat offers me a faustian bargain on a god drat sinking ship locked in a brig, I am against that sort of thing way more than I'm against scoundrels

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Generally speaking when its a choice between literal satan and anyone else I'd go with the anyone else.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Will Blood and Wine make any mechanical or story changes to the main game? I haven't played Witcher 3 since launch because I was waiting for the DLC's to all come out before round two. But I'm really itching to get started, and I wanted to know if I'll miss anything if I don't wait until the 31st.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Will Blood and Wine make any mechanical or story changes to the main game? I haven't played Witcher 3 since launch because I was waiting for the DLC's to all come out before round two. But I'm really itching to get started, and I wanted to know if I'll miss anything if I don't wait until the 31st.
There are some overall changes like the UI, skill slots, mutagen workings etc. but it's not clear whether they'll be available in the main game or only in the expansion. I'm betting also in the main game so I'd wait honestly.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 21, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd have sided with O'Dimm, because I like him, BUT the game made it clear leading up to the whole thing that going against him was going to involve a whole beating the devil at his own game scenario.

I couldn't resist!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

I enjoy screwing over people who think they're impossible to screw and O'Dimm fits that to a tee.

Besides, if you banish him then you prevent him from making eldritch bargains with any other suckers for a century or so, that's got to be worth something.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was really hoping for a fiddling contest

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Palpek posted:

There are some overall changes like the UI, skill slots, mutagen workings etc. but it's not clear whether they'll be available in the main game or only in the expansion. I'm betting also in the main game so I'd wait honestly.

Yeeaaaaaah, you're entirely correct. I read all that too, but I was hoping against hope that I could sneak in early. Oh well! The wait will only make the game sweeter.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The worst thing about taking long breaks is some of the finer controls in this game aren't in other games, and honestly I forget some stuff. Brushing up on combat is a decent idea if you want to play on anything other than story or easy difficulty.

My original save (lost to a format) was on the hardest difficulty. gently caress getting that progress back, and gently caress relearning the game to that level of proficiency, but practice is still a decent idea and I'm going to do it leading up to release.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

hemophilia posted:

I was really hoping for a fiddling contest

When you say you'll beat him at his own game he asks if you want to play a game of gwent and I shrieked in horror oh god please anything but that

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Prokhor posted:

When you say you'll beat him at his own game he asks if you want to play a game of gwent and I shrieked in horror oh god please anything but that

I hated Gwent at first, but I was just incidentally picking up cards, went back to the low level areas and started playing it in earnest. It's kind of cool, but it's really easy to break the AI and win most games with just the starting Temeria/Foltest deck. I haven't even played the others. I just know I can clean house with some decent spies and draw cards.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gwent owns, haters to the left.

I need to try something other than Northern Realms though. I got stuck on the card draw power, and the Remove Weather Effects Foltest. I want to try Squirrels and maybe Eredin.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The least fun AI were monster decks. Those were always pure luck wins for me, and I'm guessing in the balance those are the hard counter to temeria or something, and I imagine it's a broken rear end deck if you assemble enough good monster cards.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

They have a hard time against Biting Frost and Scorch effects.

I loved the stupid tight bond cards in Northern Realms, and I enjoyed baiting out scorches before dropping 3-5 Blue Stripe Commandos and a Commander's Horn effect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's something that is puzzling me. A lot of the game characters and book characters say that witchers are emotionless, but we know from Geralt that is patently untrue. Now the question is to what extent are the emotions of witchers altered? Geralt experiences things on a higher level due to his extra experimentation, but "Standard" witchers like eskel and lambert obviously have Strong emotions and ties to each other. Even the cat school Witcher had some emotion to him. But then you have witchers like serrit and auckes who envy geralt's capacity for feeling and I question to how much normal witchers actually feel and how much is conjecture from the book monstrum.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It's also possible that some Witchers are emotionally stunted as a result of their traumatic upbringing and lonely lives.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Here's something that is puzzling me. A lot of the game characters and book characters say that witchers are emotionless, but we know from Geralt that is patently untrue. Now the question is to what extent are the emotions of witchers altered? Geralt experiences things on a higher level due to his extra experimentation, but "Standard" witchers like eskel and lambert obviously have Strong emotions and ties to each other. Even the cat school Witcher had some emotion to him. But then you have witchers like serrit and auckes who envy geralt's capacity for feeling and I question to how much normal witchers actually feel and how much is conjecture from the book monstrum.

Their training and mutations dampen their emotions, but if you've made it to Kaer Morhen and interacted with the other witchers it's pretty clear none of the Wolf school are unfeeling sociopaths. Mutated monster-killing assholes who have seen a bunch of poo poo and gone through a terrible mutating ritual that fucks them up, but there is clearly something missing and there is way less empathy than normal. Of course you can have emotion without empathy, so that's kind of what's going on. A witcher can be happy, sad, rage-fuelled angry, or a stone cold letho, but it clearly varies by school, and Geralt/the wolf school are wearing the shared reputation of all witchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

Don't tell me they can't feel anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Finally got through the Barghest boss fight. Geralt fought a noble and cinematic battle, kiting a pack of dogs around in circles long enough for the Swallow to regenerate his health so that he could stop and take a few swings at them and repeat. Eventually the hellbeast succumbed to a thousand nicks and scrapes, at which point Geralt killed half of the village he'd just spent the last three hours assisting.

Been exploring Vizima. This game is really getting fun--kind of glad I stuck to it, though it sounds like the swamp portion is going to be another speedbump. :getin:

Arcsquad12 posted:

hemophilia posted:

Their training and mutations dampen their emotions, but if you've made it to Kaer Morhen and interacted with the other witchers it's pretty clear none of the Wolf school are unfeeling sociopaths. Mutated monster-killing assholes who have seen a bunch of poo poo and gone through a terrible mutating ritual that fucks them up, but there is clearly something missing and there is way less empathy than normal. Of course you can have emotion without empathy, so that's kind of what's going on. A witcher can be happy, sad, rage-fuelled angry, or a stone cold letho, but it clearly varies by school, and Geralt/the wolf school are wearing the shared reputation of all witchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

Don't tell me they can't feel anything!

Somebody is spreading rumors that the Witcher mutagens cause autism.