Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

i hope ur coming here the same time as kafkaesque

I was really hoping to time it just after the rate hike so I could see the city in its natural state and beauty: panic and despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Chicken posted:

Here's an article describing Victoria and Vancouver's regulations. Vancouver seems to be cracking down pretty hard with stringent regulations while Victoria's taking a more relaxed approach. There are something like 50 dispensaries in and around downtown Victoria and it would probably be a bigger issue, but the Tent City is taking up all the outrage that upperclass white taxpayers can muster.

:wtc: Tent City?
how have i not heard about this

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

a primate posted:

My original take on this was that they shouldn't be letting dispensaries proliferate outside of legal bounds, since this gives business owners with way more cash to pay the possible fines an unfair advantage. Without closing them, there should be some way to level the playing field for new startups that come in legally after federal legislation is passed. My thinking was that I didn't want to see a bunch of chain stores stake a claim in the market before the green light was given, as it would essentially bar mom and pop shops from starting legally in the first place.

This however, is clearly against the will of the electorate and I'm surprised Tory is even taking this on. I've been living in Toronto for some time now and I've never heard a complaint about dispensaries in general. His name is Tory, after all I guess.
I would be more concerned about glacially slow legislative action resulting in an LCBO or Beer Store scenario. Or to look at it another way, I doubt the existence of the LCBO and the Beer Store would prevent the growth of niche or independent alcohol stores if regulations were loosened.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

It's been mentioned a few times right here in this thread and I've seen some news on it in Vice and CBC but there isn't really anything exciting happening there so it doesn't get a lot of press. Depending on how the courts rule it and how far any appeals go, it could have significant ramifications for cities across Canada but the court date isn't until September so I wouldn't expect any big coverage until then. Of course if there's a big fire or some murders or something the press will be all over it.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Chicken posted:

It's been mentioned a few times right here in this thread and I've seen some news on it in Vice and CBC but there isn't really anything exciting happening there so it doesn't get a lot of press. Depending on how the courts rule it and how far any appeals go, it could have significant ramifications for cities across Canada but the court date isn't until September so I wouldn't expect any big coverage until then. Of course if there's a big fire or some murders or something the press will be all over it.

I am phone posting right now but man, I'd love to see what VibrantVictoria thinks of the tent city :allears:

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

THC posted:

Saskatchewan Government Dubs Climate Change ‘Misguided Dogma’ in Throne Speech

The throne speech, delivered by Lieutenant Governor Vaughn Solomon Schofield, pointed to “oil and gas, coal and uranium, livestock and grains” as allegedly victimized sectors.

“They look at those jobs like they are somehow harming the country and the world,” she read. “To those people, my government has a message. You are wrong. You could not be more wrong.”

Uuuuggghhh garbage. I'm not surprised though. But seriously, even if they don't believe in ~climate change~ making changes (such as not relying so much on resources...) seem like a good move. But SK Party ain't exactly a party of long term planners. A monkey could've run this province during the $100/barrel years and we probably would be better off.

In other SK news, at least CBC are still chasing that Global Transportation Hub land deal scandal?
Minister of Justice can't explain why CBC was charged $100K more than CTF for GTH documents

Someone could probably summarize it better but the GTH land deal is basically the GTH bought land for about 100k an acre (with tax payer money) yet it was appraised at 30k (and the neighbour's land was bought for $10k/acre). Then CBC requested information and they were given a bill of something like $111k. After some exchanges of words, GTH changed their mind and decided it would not release the land deal appraisal because it could 'harm the reputation' of the preparer.

I found the honesty of this headline refreshing:
Gas prices jump just in time for long weekend: Up 8.5 cents a litre overnight

And this was probably posted already: Trudeau's Elbow from a Different Angle

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cultural Imperial posted:

I'd totally have beers with you idiots of I could personally punch reach and every one of you in the face

and yet you have not come out to one vangoon meet - all talk and no follow-through, just like a vancouverite, smh

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

I said a thing about it a few pages ago. It's an interesting problem. And a bit inevitable given the availability of services and stability. I worked in the homeless community for a couple years (2008-10ish) and there are a lot of familiar people there. I'm not an avid fan of Reverend Al, our local Saint Jude--he's kind of a dick--but I follow his FB just to see who's still alive. I wouldn't mind working with Tent City if a decent outreach/admin contract came up, though I've been more involved with disability stuff in the last few years.

Would have beer with any Prince George goons when I'm up there in June, but my beer will be coffee, and there's no way I'm missing the Friday night party for disability advocates that involves Zorbs . I'm probably going to hell.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

bunnyofdoom posted:

For the record, myself, Jordan7hm and flakeloaf had a good respectful informed discussion about canpol tonight and you can too if you live in Ottawa.

Does the good respectful informed discussion involve drinking?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Pixelante posted:

I said a thing about it a few pages ago. It's an interesting problem. And a bit inevitable given the availability of services and stability. I worked in the homeless community for a couple years (2008-10ish) and there are a lot of familiar people there. I'm not an avid fan of Reverend Al, our local Saint Jude--he's kind of a dick--but I follow his FB just to see who's still alive. I wouldn't mind working with Tent City if a decent outreach/admin contract came up, though I've been more involved with disability stuff in the last few years.

Would have beer with any Prince George goons when I'm up there in June, but my beer will be coffee, and there's no way I'm missing the Friday night party for disability advocates that involves Zorbs . I'm probably going to hell.

Thanks, I haven't read this thread in a while.

the trump tutelage posted:

I would be more concerned about glacially slow legislative action resulting in an LCBO or Beer Store scenario. Or to look at it another way, I doubt the existence of the LCBO and the Beer Store would prevent the growth of niche or independent alcohol stores if regulations were loosened.

I'm honestly happy with the way the LCBO is, minus a few things. I hope they don't go that route though - it would be ridiculously slow to get it off the ground, as you suggested.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yellow Ant posted:

Uuuuggghhh garbage. I'm not surprised though. But seriously, even if they don't believe in ~climate change~ making changes (such as not relying so much on resources...) seem like a good move. But SK Party ain't exactly a party of long term planners. A monkey could've run this province during the $100/barrel years and we probably would be better off.

In other SK news, at least CBC are still chasing that Global Transportation Hub land deal scandal?
Minister of Justice can't explain why CBC was charged $100K more than CTF for GTH documents

Someone could probably summarize it better but the GTH land deal is basically the GTH bought land for about 100k an acre (with tax payer money) yet it was appraised at 30k (and the neighbour's land was bought for $10k/acre). Then CBC requested information and they were given a bill of something like $111k. After some exchanges of words, GTH changed their mind and decided it would not release the land deal appraisal because it could 'harm the reputation' of the preparer.

Yea this is super blatant corruption. Noted turd and current :sask: Minister of the Economy Bill Boyd

helped some business buddies and neighbours of his get more rich with barely concealed insider trading swapping land titles around cutting multi-million dollar+ profits off government dime. That whole GTH is one big pork barrel. Gotta love the 15 million dollar overpass that was completed that has to get torn up now to make way for the permanent overpass :psyduck:. Can't wait for former president of the Regina Home Builders Association Michael Fougere to get re-elected mayor so we can keep driving our city hopelessly into suburban wasteland and debt with mid-life crisis vanity projects and collapsing infrastructure.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 21, 2016

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Stickarts posted:

Yea this is super blatant corruption. Noted turd and current :sask: Minister of the Economy Bill Boyd

helped some business buddies and neighbours of his get more rich with barely concealed insider trading swapping land titles around cutting multi-million dollar+ profits off government dime. That whole GTH is one big pork barrel. Gotta love the 15 million dollar overpass that was completed that has to get torn up now to make way for the permanent overpass :psyduck:. Can't wait for former president of the Regina Home Builders Association Michael Fougere to get re-elected mayor so we can keep driving our city hopelessly into suburban wasteland and debt with mid-life crisis vanity projects and collapsing infrastructure.

Jesus loving Christ. And here I thought the Alberta government under the PCs were bad.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Gregor called the NEB a sham and said he's fighting the new pipeline all the way.

Good man, this Gregor.

Gregor and Vision occupy an interesting place on the political spectrum. At a glance it seems like a fairly centrist, pro development party, but they really push the environmentalist angle harder than you'd think. Given that there's going to be a lot of infrastructure money floating around in the next few years, you'd think Gregor would be trying hard to play nice and stay on Trudeau's good side, but environmental stuff really seems to rile Vision up.

On the topic of Vancouver municipal/Federal infrastructure, I've read some comments that some decision about Transit funding has got to be made in a week or so or that unprecedented 50% Federal funding for transit could expire. It'll be interesting to see who blinks, the province or metro Vancouver.

edit article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-will-act-quickly-on-federal-transit-funds-peter-fassbender-says/article30089112/

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 21, 2016

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Yellow Ant posted:

I found the honesty of this headline refreshing:
Gas prices jump just in time for long weekend: Up 8.5 cents a litre overnight

And this was probably posted already: Trudeau's Elbow from a Different Angle

I left Saskatchewan a few years ago and haven't heard much about what a joke this deal is. I suppose it follows in the grand tradition of former Regina mayor Pat Fiacco building Harbour Landing above saturated swamp land and below the airport approach - and it just happened to be owned by his family. It was a complete contradiction of the city's growth strategy and has led to traffic issues and nary a dry basement in the entire development.

If it wasn't for Quebec, New Brunswick, Alberta, and Ontario I'd say Saskatchewan is the most corrupt province.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Justin Trudeau posted:

If you kill your enemies, they win.

What did he mean by this?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Narciss posted:

You have to let them kill themselves for us to win. Thankfully we can sell them all the weapons they need to accomplish that!

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

You have to let them kill themselves for us to win.

A tried and trusted method. The ol' Adolf treatment.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Femtosecond posted:

Gregor and Vision occupy an interesting place on the political spectrum. At a glance it seems like a fairly centrist, pro development party, but they really push the environmentalist angle harder than you'd think. Given that there's going to be a lot of infrastructure money floating around in the next few years, you'd think Gregor would be trying hard to play nice and stay on Trudeau's good side, but environmental stuff really seems to rile Vision up.

What's sort of weird about it is that it isn't even just the standard greenwashing stuff you'd imagine, they are actually spending a lot of effort and money on the "greenest city 2020" thing. Kind of surprised me.

Big picture, maybe it's all a bit meaningless while the majority of the rest of the world doesn't give a gently caress, but I do kind of like that they've taken a stand on a difficult goal and actually are trying to make it happen.

Not a fan of the constant handjobs/handouts for developers and NIMBYs, but we haven't in recent memory had a legitimate political contender who wouldn't do that as well. Strongest opposition last go was the NPA who basically ran on "everything exactly the same, but gently caress bikes and trees".

Give me a party who likes bikes and trees, but promises a crusade on SFH zoning, oh my would I be in.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Narciss posted:

I dunno. He never actually said it. Ezra did and attributed it to Trudeau

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Okay, sure... doubling down is a thing you could do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress are you doing Tom?

How are the NDP this bad at politics? This is their whole job. They have been doing it for their whole careers. I don't loving get it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Butcher posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Tom?

How are the NDP this bad at politics? This is their whole job. They have been doing it for their whole careers. I don't loving get it.

Because anyone worth listening to has spent decades being marginalized by the party, the media and the entire political establishment, and these gutless, oblivious fucks are all that's left

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Since #Elbowgate occurred I've heard nothing but negative things from the people around me... towards the NDP, specifically from women.

This must be getting traction somewhere, or else they'd stop doing it, right?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This is the inevitable conclusion of the endless performative moral outrage we've been witnessing for the past few years. Oh but surely it's only an Internet thing~

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Remember, this is the party that threw an election that was being handed to them on a platter because they doubled down on centrism by caving in to the whining of Vancouver startups after the rhetoric of balancing the budget started killing them in the polls.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I can't believe you retards are still talking about this.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Since #Elbowgate occurred I've heard nothing but negative things from the people around me... towards the NDP, specifically from women.

My BC opinion-echo-chamber (late 20s to early 50s, mostly educated and active in their communities) is posting an endless stream of NDP bashing memes and publicly cancelling NDP memberships. No one is supportive of JT, but his swift apologies moved him out of the splash zone.

It's kind of a nice break from the stream of trans bathroom humour.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 21, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The conservatives are using it to fundraise for the record too

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Buff, handsome PM wins another fight.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

more like dICK posted:

Buff, handsome PM wins another fight.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Amazing

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Oh my god jokes are dead forever

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well I am gonna take a shower, have a cold drink and a good cry now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao as if Trudeau will ever be in a meeting with Putin

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You guys we need a tough leader to take on the bad guys of the world like Putin, because Canada is so relevant.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't wait for Tough Guy Trudeau, heavyweight champion of the world, to show that dastardly Putin what's what in their weekly one-on-one meeting between the two most important people in the world.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Trudeau's approval rating hits 150% as he physically muscles Putin out of Crimea before elbowing Yulia Timoshenko in the breast while returning it to Ukraine.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Limestone City born and raised :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

I was all ready to post this mural, but it turned out to be way hockey-centric than I remembered.