Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and RAM in my system meant for games on a 1080p/60Hz display. Right now, I just want to pick out a new processor and select the other parts based on that. If I don't want to bother with overclocking, is an i7-6700 too much of a cost increase versus actual performance increase compared to an i5-6600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Looks fine to me, and just so you know the windowed panel makes almost no difference as far as sound deadening goes, and that is according to Fractal themselves from their testing, it's because sound does not propagate well through the plexi used in most case windows.

Good to know that my gaudy choices can still be quiet choices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

A good poster posted:

I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and RAM in my system meant for games on a 1080p/60Hz display. Right now, I just want to pick out a new processor and select the other parts based on that. If I don't want to bother with overclocking, is an i7-6700 too much of a cost increase versus actual performance increase compared to an i5-6600?

I'd say yes, the best price/performance choice for gaming is the i5-6500 or i5-6600.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm about to build my first computer in 5 years and I'm really interested in going to a micro case because of space limitations in my current living situation. That said, my brother offered to sell me his 980 TI for $200 once he gets his 1080, but it's a full size card. Is there a good micro case that can still accommodate a full-size card and the PSU to run it (without being insanely hard to squeeze everything into)?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mayor Dave posted:

I'm about to build my first computer in 5 years and I'm really interested in going to a micro case because of space limitations in my current living situation. That said, my brother offered to sell me his 980 TI for $200 once he gets his 1080, but it's a full size card. Is there a good micro case that can still accommodate a full-size card and the PSU to run it (without being insanely hard to squeeze everything into)?

Tons of them, have a look:

Mini-tower:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($202.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($539.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1175.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 02:32 EDT-0400

Shoebox:

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1170.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 02:35 EDT-0400

Thin:

Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1249.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 02:38 EDT-0400

Cube:

Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1143.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 02:39 EDT-0400

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay. All my stuff is here and I have it all in the room I set aside to build this thing. I am missing rubbing alcohol only, do I need to clean the top of the heat spreader as it mentions in the video?

I am also pissing terrified at the moment as so bought an anti-static strap from a PC shop near me. I am still terrified, but slightly less so.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Rubbing alcohol is for cleaning thermal paste off the heat spreader when you're reseating or replacing a cooler. I assume you bought that i5-6500 system Radish recommended you, so you should have a reasonably pristine heat spreader out of the box.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Rubbing alcohol is for cleaning thermal paste off the heat spreader when you're reseating or replacing a cooler. I assume you bought that i5-6500 system Radish recommended you, so you should have a reasonably pristine heat spreader out of the box.

It was what I got. Thanks. Still nervous, but I want to thank all of you for your help!

Argh, now I am worried because the freaking lift up arm is creaking a bit when I try and set it. How on earth have I made it to adulthood by being afraid I will break something like this.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 21, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Josef bugman posted:

It was what I got. Thanks. Still nervous, but I want to thank all of you for your help!

Argh, now I am worried because the freaking lift up arm is creaking a bit when I try and set it. How on earth have I made it to adulthood by being afraid I will break something like this.

It does that, just be careful and smooth. Cautious is good and warranted, afraid is less helpful. If the chip's seated right with the raised bits in the socket matching the grooves in the chip, the force will be spread nicely.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

xthetenth posted:

It does that, just be careful and smooth. Cautious is good and warranted, afraid is less helpful. If the chip's seated right with the raised bits in the socket matching the grooves in the chip, the force will be spread nicely.

That is all now sorted, thank goodness, also installed the memory stuff. However with teh case that I have it has one raised thing and no instructions as to where exactly I screw things in in order to mount the motherboard.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

That is all now sorted, thank goodness, also installed the memory stuff. However with teh case that I have it has one raised thing and no instructions as to where exactly I screw things in in order to mount the motherboard.

You just match the pattern of holes on the mobo to the posts on the mobo tray in the case, most cases come with the posts for the largest mobo type they fit preinstalled. Also remember to get the I/O shield in before installing the mobo, it's a real pain if you forget that and need to remove the mobo to get it in.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Josef bugman posted:

Argh, now I am worried because the freaking lift up arm is creaking a bit when I try and set it.

That's normal, and it does take some pressure to get the cpu in place.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Are there letter codes next to the screw holes? If so, there's a code to match your motherboard's size and the holes are standardized.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You just match the pattern of holes on the mobo to the posts on the mobo tray in the case, most cases come with the posts for the largest mobo type they fit preinstalled. Also remember to get the I/O shield in before installing the mobo, it's a real pain if you forget that and need to remove the mobo to get it in.

Okay, all of that has been done. But just as quick thing... the SSD I have didn't come with a tray and I can't seem to find where to pop it in on this one.

Nope, checked the list and no hard drive, ignore previous sweary question.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 21, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Your case might have an attachment point for an ssd behind the mobo, so check for that. Alternatively, my case came with an adapter for 2.5" drives, so you can check in case you have one with your case parts.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

Your case might have an attachment point for an ssd behind the mobo, so check for that. Alternatively, my case came with an adapter for 2.5" drives, so you can check in case you have one with your case parts.

Doesn't appear to. Or if it does my SSD is too large for it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Doesn't appear to. Or if it does my SSD is too large for it.

I believe you have a Cooler Master N200, yes? The SSDs can mount either under the 5.25" bays or on top of the 3.5" HDD cage, there are little metal tabs with holes in them that will fit around the SSD and then you screw it in from the sides.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I believe you have a Cooler Master N200, yes? The SSDs can mount either under the 5.25" bays or on top of the 3.5" HDD cage, there are little metal tabs with holes in them that will fit around the SSD and then you screw it in from the sides.

Herf a derf. Thanks.

I am so sorry for turning this thread into "Josef is building a PC". Do tell me if I should gently caress off.

Oh and whichway up does the SSD go? With the little metal pad things facing towards the fan and the part that says "Samsung" facing up?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 21, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Herf a derf. Thanks.

I am so sorry for turning this thread into "Josef is building a PC". Do tell me if I should gently caress off.

Oh and whichway up does the SSD go? With the little metal pad things facing towards the fan and the part that says "Samsung" facing up?

You could do it either way, I like to keep the logo facing up but that is just my preference. Oh, and also there are little rubber grommet type things that you can attach to the SSD and then those will slot into holes in the motherboard tray so you can mount up to four SSDs if you want, here is a picture:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What is your case?

E: beaten

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Tons of them, have a look:

Haha, serves me right for not doing enough research. Thanks for your help. I ended up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.79 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $708.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 14:46 EDT-0400

Are there any major problems that jump out? Would it be a heat problem to jump up to a faster mobo/processor and try to overclock in that case?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Haha, serves me right for not doing enough research. Thanks for your help. I ended up with this:

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.79 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Are there any major problems that jump out? Would it be a heat problem to jump up to a faster mobo/processor and try to overclock in that case?

Take a look at the Corsair SF600 power supply. Reviews so far indicate that it's quieter than the Silverstone for the same price.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI H170I Pro AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($11.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $671.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 01:21 EDT-0400

Put in the order this morning. Paid a few dollars extra to order from Amazon and Newegg only to make sure the stuff is here by next weekend.

My 9-year-old daughter asked if she can help build it. Should be fun.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

You could do a mild OC, but nothing major, 4.4GHz on a 6600k would be a good target. But if you are going to do so I would make a few changes:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.44 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $835.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 15:31 EDT-0400

1) A better CPU cooler since you will be OCing.
2) Faster RAM, that makes a difference in some games these days and it's not much extra to pay.
3) A better PSU, this one has a much longer warranty and is a bit better in every other way too.

You might want to think about a larger HDD, the only reason is that you can only mount one in this case so you want to make sure it is plenty big enough for your needs for years to come.

Also make sure the video card will fit, I know of at least one model (a Zotac AMP!) of the 980Ti that would not fit, I think that is the only one but make sure the one you are getting is under 13".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, everything put in place. Couldn't get one of the screws to fit in exactly with the Mobo though, is that going to be a problem later?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, everything put in place. Couldn't get one of the screws to fit in exactly with the Mobo though, is that going to be a problem later?

That can sometimes happen, it should be ok, you just want to make sure that the standoff for the screw is not contacting well away from the hole, in that case you would remove the standoff to prevent the possibility of a short, if it's just slightly misaligned you should be fine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That can sometimes happen, it should be ok, you just want to make sure that the standoff for the screw is not contacting well away from the hole, in that case you would remove the standoff to prevent the possibility of a short, if it's just slightly misaligned you should be fine.

Its conected, just at a slightly weirder angle, for some odd reason there are two that didn't quite align with the Mobo properly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Its conected, just at a slightly weirder angle, for some odd reason there are two that didn't quite align with the Mobo properly.

That should be fine, the area around the screws is grounded off so you can't get shorts there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
FWIW I'm not saying it's great advice but I've built at least six computers over the years and I've never used a static strap or anything else but the same tools I use on everything else. I've even used a magnetic screwdriver in a tight case where I couldn't get both hands in simultaneously. Never had a problem. I don't think they're as fragile as people think.

But if I was working on someone else's PC I'd be more careful.

Back in the day you had to really read the instructions and gently caress with jumpers and slaves and all that but nowadays you don't even really need to read the instructions if you have any competence at all because everything only fits together one way and usually Just Works.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 21, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Imagined posted:

FWIW I'm not saying it's great advice but I've built at least six computers over the years and I've never used a static strap or anything else but the same tools I use on everything else. I've even used a magnetic screwdriver in a tight case where I couldn't get both hands in simultaneously. Never had a problem. I don't think they're as fragile as people think.

But if I was working on someone else's PC I'd be more careful.

This is kind of the first thing I have ever built that wasn't primary colours and wouldn't be ruined by being popped in your mouth, so I am just a little bit on edge. The fact that I can't stop my hands wobbling like I have delerium freakin' tremens also isn't helping.

Oh and for some reason when I try and plug the cables into their respective slots they just keep falling out. Any advice to get them to stick? Its the PLED, HDMI and all that lot ones that just keep falling out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The hard and frustrating part of building a PC is not assembling it, it's figuring out what's wrong if it doesn't work.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

The hard and frustrating part of building a PC is not assembling it, it's figuring out what's wrong if it doesn't work.

That's tedious but usually just a process of elimination starting with the dumbest simplest thing possible ("Did I plug it in? Is the power switch on?"). Can't remember how many times I've had a heart attack with a PC I hosed with that wouldn't start until I noticed I'd hit the power switch on the PSU in the process. I remember one PC I built wouldn't boot until I had reseated every stick of RAM, even though I could swear they looked perfect before.

The only one I ever truly hosed up was when my screwdriver slipped and popped something that was apparently very important off the motherboard. Instant dead computer.

Josef bugman posted:

This is kind of the first thing I have ever built that wasn't primary colours and wouldn't be ruined by being popped in your mouth, so I am just a little bit on edge. The fact that I can't stop my hands wobbling like I have delerium freakin' tremens also isn't helping.

Oh and for some reason when I try and plug the cables into their respective slots they just keep falling out. Any advice to get them to stick? Its the PLED, HDMI and all that lot ones that just keep falling out.

Don't get frustrated. Just relax and walk away from it for a bit, then try again. Usually bits like that have a little catch that snaps in when it's fully seated.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2016

editor
Feb 4, 2007
Looking to upgrade to 144hz at 1080p.

Here's my current video setup:

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 17:39 EDT-0400

And the rest of the computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)

Here's what I'm considering:

Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($241.99 @ Adorama)
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ B&H)
Other: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card ($379.99)
Total: $971.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 17:42 EDT-0400

The Dell is a 1920x1200 IPS and would be used in portrait.
The AOC is kind of gross but reviews well and is way cheaper than other G-Sync monitors.

I know benchmarks aren't out yet, but is it looking like the 1070 will be enough to drive 144hz at 1080p?
Looking at playing Overwatch and Rocket League on whatever settings, as long as I can have a little AA and textures cranked up.

Anything dumb here? Other monitors to consider?

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Finished my build and installed Spanish Windows 10.

Hilarious bottleneck with the 660ti from a friend until I get a 1070/1080 but it runs most games fine at 1080p.

My only concern is GPU heat since the PSU is directly beneath it, as illustrated:

Seems to temp OK under normal load and of course the CPU is fine, but it seems to me I may have to get a smaller cooler if the 1070/1080 has a large amount of cooling on it.

Although I suppose I could always get a larger case.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($283.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($73.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($384.99 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($63.17 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.98 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($130.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1270.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 18:19 EDT-0400

What are you using the system for? Web, videos, games
Budget? I want to stay under 1300 if possible
Gaming: I am going to use 1080p, preferably 60 fps at high/max. No real desire to go up anytime soon.

Here's my planned build that I am going to replace my 6.5 year old laptop with. It's also going to be my first ever build. Are there any suggested improvements/glaring flaws I should be aware of?

The Carbide 88R isn't a final choice, as I'm having a hard time picking a computer case. It's between that and the Fractal Design ARC mini R2. The Carbide is cheaper but I'm worried that it will affect the quality and durability of the product. The Fractal Design looks nicer but is much more expensive, so I'm not sure if it's worth the money. Can someone help me pick between the two? Suggestions for alternatives are welcome too. I'd like my case to be small-sized and reasonably 'future-proof' if possible. If I can reuse it in a build maybe 6 years down the line that would be great. I was also looking at the Corsair Air 240 for a while, but backed off because I read about video cards pushing on the window and making it bulge.

For the video card I'm planning on obtaining either used 970 or a new mid-range Polaris card, depending on how they compare once benchmarks are released. However the Polaris release is likely to be several weeks away and I've already been waiting a month while getting kind of annoyed with the slowness of my laptop. Would it be a good idea to order and build everything now and rely on integrated graphics until I get a proper graphics card later on?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Imagined posted:

That's tedious but usually just a process of elimination starting with the dumbest simplest thing possible ("Did I plug it in? Is the power switch on?"). Can't remember how many times I've had a heart attack with a PC I hosed with that wouldn't start until I noticed I'd hit the power switch on the PSU in the process. I remember one PC I built wouldn't boot until I had reseated every stick of RAM, even though I could swear they looked perfect before.

My post was partly out of frustration that the PC I literally just built wasn't booting. I've since my previous post figured out the problem (got a pair of sticks of RAM, one is bad), so am in a much better mood :)

One last thanks to AVeryLargeRadish. The Nano S was impressively easy to work with for such a small case, and – while I'm running without a dedicated GPU right now, so it will presumably get louder – it's whisper-quiet and looks great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

editor posted:

Looking to upgrade to 144hz at 1080p.

Here's my current video setup:

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)

And the rest of the computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)

Here's what I'm considering:

Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($241.99 @ Adorama)
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ B&H)
Other: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card ($379.99)
Total: $971.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-21 17:42 EDT-0400

The Dell is a 1920x1200 IPS and would be used in portrait.
The AOC is kind of gross but reviews well and is way cheaper than other G-Sync monitors.

I know benchmarks aren't out yet, but is it looking like the 1070 will be enough to drive 144hz at 1080p?
Looking at playing Overwatch and Rocket League on whatever settings, as long as I can have a little AA and textures cranked up.

Anything dumb here? Other monitors to consider?

You should get the Dell U2415 instead of the U2412M, the U2415 is the successor to the U2412M, it has a much better anti-glare coating and is better in general.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Finished my build and installed Spanish Windows 10.

Hilarious bottleneck with the 660ti from a friend until I get a 1070/1080 but it runs most games fine at 1080p.

My only concern is GPU heat since the PSU is directly beneath it, as illustrated:

Seems to temp OK under normal load and of course the CPU is fine, but it seems to me I may have to get a smaller cooler if the 1070/1080 has a large amount of cooling on it.

Although I suppose I could always get a larger case.

Is that the d15? Have you looked at the d15s? It's offset a bit from the gpu. Also, are you going to remove this drive trays?

E: also are your cpu fans pointing away from the exhaust case fan?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 22, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

nuclear_cheetos posted:

GPU coolers fit into two slots' width, a bigger GPU wouldn't be going up any more towards the CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Lynch
Jun 8, 2008

Not today gentlemen
I found that the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 ATX is just about $70 off for a bit. I'm wondering if it's worth changing the build for the 6600K chip from a ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX at that discount?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: how's about I link the right boards.

No Lynch fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 22, 2016