Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

krushgroove posted:

Also, didn't know BA has Tank War - does that integrate at all with the infantry game?

Yeah, it does. It's not super simulation but it is a good transition from 40K to historical and it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am absolutely enamored with Chain of Command, but the Command Dice mechanic (especially when applied to armored platoons) will mean you'll rarely be able to activate all of your tanks in a single phase. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but for people used to 1-unit = 1-activation per turn like 40K, a system like Bolt Action will probably be a more familiar mechanic.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Are there any trap-units in BA as a russkie?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The trap is playing the Russkies to begin with. :downsrim:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
The trap of not only fielding KV-2 tanks. :black101:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Def. gotta get a KV-2 to gently caress up some Germans! :ussr:

Got my first BA Demo lined up for next Thursday, looking forward to it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are there any trap-units in BA as a russkie?

MMGs are pretty overcosted, but that's an across the board truism for Bolt Action. Just remember that your free inexperienced squad gets all of its options and is still free, so give them all grenades and throw them at a tank.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Beyond that, the staff rating deficit on the American side will likely make anything more complex than just forming lines and holding position very difficult. Is there any reason the US would have much more mediocre mid-level leadership than the UK? I get that it's 1861 and the federal war machine hasn't really come fully online yet but I'd have to think American commanders in this engagement would be more likely to have meaningful battlefield experience than the Brits, who hadn't really fought anything since Crimea.

That's not exactly a long time ago given it ended in 1856. It's like saying the modern American army's leadership doesn't have meaningful battlefield experience because it hasn't fought a war since Iraq/Afghanistan.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I'm planning to do 2 soviet armies. A winter army themed around Rzhev and Stalingrad, and a summer army themed around Bagration, Kursk and Berlin. To that end, are the T-34/76 and IS-2 terrible tanks?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

feedmegin posted:

That's not exactly a long time ago given it ended in 1856. It's like saying the modern American army's leadership doesn't have meaningful battlefield experience because it hasn't fought a war since Iraq/Afghanistan.

I was just questioning why the UK would have better command all across the board than the US. And really, you could make the argument that the Crimean war era British army was a logistical basket case that was plagued with a bunch of nobles in the officer corps that led like twits anyway.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

When did they institute a minimum number of years before you could purchase your next comission?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Fistfull of TOWs is not something I would recommend lightly. It looks like a pain when you're going one stand:one platoon representation, and going 1 mini :1 tank is even more painful.

There are tanks in Five Men in Normandy/Kursk... Or was it disposable heroes? The one that has Coffin for Seven Brothers in the title. Fairly detailed, tho.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

When did they institute a minimum number of years before you could purchase your next comission?

Lol if you think American armies promoted officers purely on merit, especially in 1861. 'You're some random dude from buttfuck Ohio and you recruited these guys and bought their uniforms, I guess you run the regiment now'.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

feedmegin posted:

Lol if you think American armies promoted officers purely on merit, especially in 1861. 'You're some random dude from buttfuck Ohio and you recruited these guys and bought their uniforms, I guess you run the regiment now'.
^^^ This. It is mind-boggling to me how many unprofressional (i.e. absolutely zero military training or experience) colonels and generals there were, especially early in the war.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I was referring to the british.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I was just questioning why the UK would have better command all across the board than the US. And really, you could make the argument that the Crimean war era British army was a logistical basket case that was plagued with a bunch of nobles in the officer corps that led like twits anyway.

Well, they did win.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The command element of most, if not all, 19th century western armies was usually made up of a couple of decent commanders surrounded above, below and abreast with incompetent loonies.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-posting from the Oath thread:

These are the first WW2 minis I've ever painted. I already have another US squad, 2 Bazooka teams, a German Tank Hunter team, and an SdKfz 222 in various stages of progress on my table. A plague upon every last one of you fuckers for being so helpful and supportive in helping me find another tabletop miniatures obsession. I hate you guys.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

"God-damnit Conrad, tie your loving laces"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

I was referring to the british.

:thejoke:

My point is that despite not paying for commissions formally and directly, America's officer corps wasn't necessarily any better. That early in the war and given the experience the British Army had from Crimea, it's at the very least not indefensible to give the latter a higher rating.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
American officers (and soldiers) were experienced, too, from the Mexican-American War.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, but look how well that turned out for McClellan.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lots of British officers you could say that about, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Took the afternoon to build a T-34/85. It's Warlord Games' kit for Bolt Action, and I'm sure it isn't up to Ensign Expendable's standards, but it works for me!

Primered and assembled:

I was originally going to mask this all out and paint it perfectly, but then I started looking at reference pictures.

The crew, about to roll in to Berlin, suddenly receives orders that they need to mark their tanks so the Western Allies don't blow them up accidentally. Why can't they just learn to recognize different shapes?

Well, what else can you expect from such individualist societies?

Here it is weathered-up and matte varnished:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Za Rodinu

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I almost wanted to put some tankodesantniki on there, but Warlord's look like hobbits:

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/soviet-tank-riders

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think Dice Bag Lady has some coming soon, right?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
A lot of 28mm figures have that weird orc-like facial proportioning, across the board. I kind of wonder what's up with that; I get expecting them to look like Leonardo DiCaprio or whatever isn't on the cards but they have more in common with fantasy figures than actual people at times.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Currently playing the next scenario in my Trent Affair games. The british are landing marines to drive off the approaching Union army, but we sorely underestimated how durable units in buildings are, so the game is tilting pretty heavily in my favor. Ships were about as useful as normal cannons, no real surprises there, but it's really the building thing that we're learning this time around. +2 morale saves until you lose a round of combat on top of the +3 combat score means that you have to be really outnumbered to lose, even with the reduced number of attacks you get.
If people liked the last screenshot-fest battle report, I'll post one for this battle too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

moths posted:

I think Dice Bag Lady has some coming soon, right?
Yup. I believe they'll be available very soon.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

So i've moved cities and my mates here play BA.

Any advice for starting a BA Germany army?
I want a Hetzer. That much is fixed.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kommando posted:

So i've moved cities and my mates here play BA.

Any advice for starting a BA Germany army?
I want a Hetzer. That much is fixed.

Like, what's good in a BA army, or what's a reasonable force to be supported by a Hetzer?

If it's the latter, I think you could build a kickass looking army by making a Panzergrenadier army supported by Hetzers. The new plastic Panzergrens from Warlord games look spiffy, and in late 1944 and on the Hetzers would start to take the role of "proper" tanks because so many tanks had been blown up.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 24, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Probably whats good in a BA army, I hear 1st edition is shite, 2nd ed is balanced and 3rd is coming in a few months time and who knows what will change.

so with that in mind as stated above:

Swagger Dagger posted:

MMGs are pretty overcosted, but that's an across the board truism for Bolt Action.
is the kind of advice some older players could offer if im making a force and spending $200 on minis to get started.

I was thinking mid war and in my demo game I messed up an M10 with pioneers and grenades/flammenwerfer which leads me to think a Hetzer over a Marder.

Plain Grenadiers, an army that could be anywhere in europe and i'll flesh it out with special bits as I get a few months under me, assuming the game remains interested.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Play with the .net rules, then MMGs arent overcosted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qPaKsZK_89OF9oV2dGaXpzeUI1SzBRVkhrZWp4VXltYkc4/view

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kommando posted:

Probably whats good in a BA army, I hear 1st edition is shite, 2nd ed is balanced and 3rd is coming in a few months time and who knows what will change.

so with that in mind as stated above:

is the kind of advice some older players could offer if im making a force and spending $200 on minis to get started.

I was thinking mid war and in my demo game I messed up an M10 with pioneers and grenades/flammenwerfer which leads me to think a Hetzer over a Marder.

Plain Grenadiers, an army that could be anywhere in europe and i'll flesh it out with special bits as I get a few months under me, assuming the game remains interested.

Hetzers were not produced until March 1944, so unless there's a strange definition that makes 1944 mid war, I don't think that's an option for a mid war army.

EDIT: It's official - by 2016, WW2 wargaming has officially turned me into a grognard. But honestly, it's the reason why I don't have a Hetzer yet. We're slowly adding to the collection at the club, starting with early war, and we're just getting to the 1943 tanks.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 24, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hetzers gonna hetz. A suggestion I would make is to look at the theatre selectors in your respective army book. That should give you an idea what you can take. I'm doing the same with my 62nd army at Stalingrad.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

lilljonas posted:

Hetzers were not produced until March 1944, so unless there's a strange definition that makes 1944 mid war, I don't think that's an option for a mid war army.

EDIT: It's official - by 2016, WW2 wargaming has officially turned me into a grognard. But honestly, it's the reason why I don't have a Hetzer yet. We're slowly adding to the collection at the club, starting with early war, and we're just getting to the 1943 tanks.

yeah ok, lets just scrap time period and make a beginner german army.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

late 1944 and on

So, like, 6 months?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

So, like, 6 months?

Yeah, "until the end" would be another way to put it. Since tank destroyers were quicker and easier to build the Germans were pushing them out of their factories until they were physically overrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

That happened the second you opened your webstore :v: