Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Here is my storage solution. I gave into madness and bought a hobby lobby artist case, a broken token divider for it, and had my local staples print out some BGG dividers. I know much how much each item cost individually but there is a mental block in place that keeps me from totalling those numbers for my own protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Going back to my emails, the dividers were $14.99 with $7.99 shipping.

So, $23 for some dividers is a little steep but ehhhhhhhhhhhh...

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
How's the Wolves of the North deluxe pack? I like how the Starks play, but if I'm not 100% on going with them, are the other faction cards pretty useful?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Going back to my emails, the dividers were $14.99 with $7.99 shipping.

So, $23 for some dividers is a little steep but ehhhhhhhhhhhh...

I'm tempted to post a photo of my free, jury-rigged, yet perfectly functional DIY LOTR storage. I just cut up the packs and expansion boxes to use as labeled dividers.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

T-Bone posted:

How's the Wolves of the North deluxe pack? I like how the Starks play, but if I'm not 100% on going with them, are the other faction cards pretty useful?

There are a ton of great Stark cards specifically, both loyal and non-loyal. Even if you're not into main-house Stark, their non-loyal stuff is great for bannering (new Eddard comes immediately to mind).

Other houses almost all have solid options as well. The only houses I think whose cards are both unexciting would be Baratheon and Tyrell. There's some solid new neutral plots in there as well. Well worth the purchase.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

CaptainRightful posted:

just cut up the packs and expansion boxes

:gonk:

I made all my dividers with a $10 ream of cardstock (250 sheets), $10 in 5mil thermal laminator sheets (100), and a $20 amazon basics laminator:

They're pretty sturdy.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 17, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I would have imagined that laminated dividers have those typical translucent edges. Did you cut those off? Does the plastic bond with the paper enough to not risk peeling?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

theroachman posted:

I would have imagined that laminated dividers have those typical translucent edges. Did you cut those off? Does the plastic bond with the paper enough to not risk peeling?

They do peel a bit after cutting, but not after I run them back through the laminator (twice because :spergin:).

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Oh ok. Well there's nothing wrong with running them multiple times on low temperature, it's way better than running them once on high and getting bubbles because the glue got too hot. Be aware they'll always peel after (possibly long) time if you cut the edges flush like you do. Afaik, the only way to ensure a lasting result is keeping a little edge that is pure fused plastic.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Because there has been so much chat about the LotR LCG I ended up buying the core set last week. I played through a couple of the quests using the tactics/spirit deck from the Hall of Beorn and had a lot of fun.

I bought both of the Hobbit Saga boxes because that is what my FLGS had and now I am trying to make 2 decks so I can run through some quests with a friend. How bad do these two decks look and do they have any chance of making it through anything other than the beginner quest?

The Hobbit Deck 1

Main Deck

Hero (3)
Bombur (On the Doorstep)
Ori (Over Hill and Under Hill)
Thorin Oakenshield (Over Hill and Under Hill)

Ally (25)
3x Bifur (On the Doorstep)
2x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)
2x Dori (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Erebor Hammersmith (Core Set)
2x Fili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Gandalf (Core Set)
2x Gléowine (Core Set)
3x Glóin (On the Doorstep)
1x Kili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer (Core Set)
2x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
2x Son of Arnor (Core Set)

Attachment (12)
3x Cram (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Forest Snare (Core Set)
3x King Under the Mountain (On the Doorstep)
2x Self Preservation (Core Set)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)

Event (13)
2x Ever Vigilant (Core Set)
3x Lore of Imladris (Core Set)
3x Ravens of the Mountain (On the Doorstep)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
3x To me! O my kinsfolk! (On the Doorstep)

3 Heroes, 50 Cards
Cards up to On the Doorstep

Decklist built and published on RingsDB.

-------------------------------------

The Hobbit Deck 2

Main Deck

Hero (3)
Bard the Bowman (On the Doorstep)
Dúnhere (Core Set)
Éowyn (Core Set)

Ally (21)
3x Bofur (Over Hill and Under Hill)
1x Fili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
2x Horseback Archer (Core Set)
2x Kili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Lórien Guide (Core Set)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set)
3x Veteran Axehand (Core Set)

Attachment (12)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
2x Blade of Gondolin (Core Set)
2x Dwarven Axe (Core Set)
3x Great Yew Bow (On the Doorstep)
1x Horn of Gondor (Core Set)
2x The Favor of the Lady (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Event (17)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set)
1x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x Foe-hammer (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Goblin-cleaver (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
2x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Straight Shot (On the Doorstep)
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set)

3 Heroes, 50 Cards
Cards up to On the Doorstep

Decklist built and published on RingsDB.

The first deck is all about getting some of the dwarves abilities to trigger, once you get a single dwarf ally out Thorin is generating 2 resources and Ori is making you draw an extra card every turn. Hopefully the resource generation and healing will keep everything running smoothly.

The second deck has Eowyn to quest and the other two hopefully will dish out some pain and keep the staging area manageable. I am concerned with generating enough resources in this deck though. Would the player using the first deck be able to play Steward of Gondor on Bard the Bowman? Or can you only play things like that on characters you control?

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 18, 2016

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

You can play Steward of Gondor on a character that the other player controls.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Selecta84 posted:

You can play Steward of Gondor on a character that the other player controls.

So the other player gains control of that attachment obviously, but what happens once that attachment is discarded, which discard pile does it go to?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Present posted:

So the other player gains control of that attachment obviously, but what happens once that attachment is discarded, which discard pile does it go to?

Cards always go to the discard pile of the deck they originated from. (Pg. 10 of the rulebook)

e: Also :siren: Dwarrowdelf is in stock at Miniature Market & CoolStuffInc, probably going to be hitting other storefronts very soon

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 18, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I bought both of the Hobbit Saga boxes because that is what my FLGS had and now I am trying to make 2 decks so I can run through some quests with a friend. How bad do these two decks look and do they have any chance of making it through anything other than the beginner quest?

The way you've done your unique characters might be a problem. If either deck draws their Kili/Fili from the wrong sphere you have a problem. Same with the Gandalfs, second deck might keep their OHuAH Gandalf out a turn too long when first deck wants to Sneak Attack core Gandalf out.

3 Great Yew Bows is probably too much since you can only attach one, and it's just not as good an ability as it seems. Same for 3 Bifurs, if you're running three copies of any unique it's to see it in play ASAP. With his ability and you having Bombur, you want to drop him after another dwarf, so you don't need 3.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Single Tight Female posted:

The way you've done your unique characters might be a problem. If either deck draws their Kili/Fili from the wrong sphere you have a problem.

This is why you need the Mirkwood quests and/or Khazad-Dum for Songs and/or Narvi's belt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Playing Dol Guldur two handed can be a huuuuge problem depending on who gets jailed.

One hand is Lead/Lead/Lore
Other hand is Spirit/Tact/Tact

If either Denethor or Eowyn get jailed, that player is basically hosed. It's a fun quest though, I've lost it twice now and am excited to probably lose again tonight.

edit-- I have two of the songs (whichever come with Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock). I might throw them into my decks, but I want to beat it with just the core cards. :cry: My purity :cry:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'd Mulligan on a bad capture. If you're keeping count, add one to your failed quests list if you want, but whatever. I have no problem forfeiting a bad setup.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I played Escape From Dol Guldur two handed with only the core set decks, Leadership and Spirit. My conclusion after finally beating it after many many MANY attempts is forfeit if Aragorn or Eowyn are the heroes captured, and mulligan until you have a Steward of Gondor or Celebrian’s Stone in your opening hand.

Best start is having Gloin be the captive.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Foehammer and I just played Dol Guldur and pulled Ungoliant's Spawn and Hummerhorns in the opening draw :how:

We lasted a whopping 5 turns

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Suck my dick, Necromancer!

The last turn, I quested with 24 willpower and hardly anything in the staging area.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Does this mean we don't have get to play Escape again?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Foehammer posted:

Does this mean we don't have get to play Escape again?

It does!

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
When Thrones was first released someone had posted 4 melee decks that could be build with 2 cores. Does anyone have an updated version with the latest card sets? I've looked around and most places just seem to be focused on joust.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hills of Emyn Muil: Wrecked it. I had two northern trackers and asfaloth on glorfindel so i just ended up waiting for victory point cards so i could win.
Dead Marshes: bit tougher. Splitting between questing and escapes was tough. Ended up losing gollum to the encounter deck and had to redo the first quest card. But he popped right up again and i finished it off.
Return to Mirkwood. I got wrecked. Spiders web hill troll early just stalled me and then attercop finished me off.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Amoeba102 posted:

Hills of Emyn Muil: Wrecked it. I had two northern trackers and asfaloth on glorfindel so i just ended up waiting for victory point cards so i could win.
Dead Marshes: bit tougher. Splitting between questing and escapes was tough. Ended up losing gollum to the encounter deck and had to redo the first quest card. But he popped right up again and i finished it off.
Return to Mirkwood. I got wrecked. Spiders web hill troll early just stalled me and then attercop finished me off.

Attercop is a motherfucker, I had to kill 2 of them in my Return to Mirkwood run. Boromir with 2x Support of the Eagles was the MVP.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The text for 3B in Passage Through Mirkwood states:

"When Revealed: Each player must search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 Spider card of his choice, and add it to the staging area.
The players must find and defeat Ungoliant's Spawn to win this game."

I just drew and beat Ungoliant's Spawn in stage 2B, but does that technically count for "find and defeat"? For the purposes of storytelling, I houseruled that once Ungoliant's Spawn is dead, as a unique enemy, it counts as having defeated him, but... Hm.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

The text for 3B in Passage Through Mirkwood states:

"When Revealed: Each player must search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 Spider card of his choice, and add it to the staging area.
The players must find and defeat Ungoliant's Spawn to win this game."

I just drew and beat Ungoliant's Spawn in stage 2B, but does that technically count for "find and defeat"? For the purposes of storytelling, I houseruled that once Ungoliant's Spawn is dead, as a unique enemy, it counts as having defeated him, but... Hm.

The "must find and defeat" condition begins when the "Don't Leave the Path" card takes effect. If the Spawn is in play at that time, the "find" aspect is immediately satisfied, they simply have to defeat it. A previous defeat, though, will not satisfy the "defeat" aspect of the card.

-Nate French

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You need to do it again.

Tried a Lothlorien deck and am tempted to run Galadriel & Celebron in secrecy. Galadriel plus handmaidens gives amazing threat control and superpowered allies that don't exhaust to quest ain't half bad either.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Foehammer posted:

The "must find and defeat" condition begins when the "Don't Leave the Path" card takes effect. If the Spawn is in play at that time, the "find" aspect is immediately satisfied, they simply have to defeat it. A previous defeat, though, will not satisfy the "defeat" aspect of the card.

-Nate French

drat!

Now I have to erase that win from my quest log :cry:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Just finished the Conflict at the Carrock with my Hobbit deck and it felt amazing.

With the help of Grimboern and some attachments I killed 1 Troll per turn. Having Sam defend for 7 and Merry attacking for 7 is pretty baller.

And that Riversong guy should be in every solo deck that can play him. He was really really helpful

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A discussion about ice in Netrunner got me thinking- has there ever been a good collectible card game where throwing down big, expensive 'creature' cards has not been super risky?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's all relative, but that's the prevailing strategy in game of thrones now since they came out with a card that wipes all the low-cost characters off the board.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

A discussion about ice in Netrunner got me thinking- has there ever been a good collectible card game where throwing down big, expensive 'creature' cards has not been super risky?

It comes down to the question of efficiency. If removal has no reasonable banding mechanic and can kill a big threat for cheap then there's risk. However, if removal is more the style of "deal 3 damage to all creatures" then larger threats are less risky.

Another way of allowing battleships to thrive is limiting attacks. GoT does this, combined with the cheap removal being of the "eliminate all small threats" style. L5R was similar in that you only had 4 battlefields worth and your big guys shrugged off the typical kill cards. Or at least made them risky to use.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StashAugustine posted:

I don't know about nowadays, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world in Magic since cards are the more important economic factor, rather than cost of those cards. The cost is more about the tempo of your deck, rather than an inherent risk. That is, losing a Serra Angel to a Terror kinda sucks, but at least you both lost a card in the process. If it took 2 Shocks to kill that Serra Angel instead, I would feel like the Serra Angel player "won" since it cost the Shock player more cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A Game of Thrones is kinda dominated by big characters right now (5+ cost). A recent plot card came out that wipes 3 or less cost character before combat, and it'shad a pretty huge impact on the game. It's a great game, really excited to see the next cycle.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The new AGoT pack is super good. I want to make a Martell/Stark deck that just kills/steals everything on the other side of the board, and if I can't kill or steal them I take away their icons instead.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

StashAugustine posted:

I haven't played a ton of Hearthtstone but I think that fits the bill pretty well.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn could also work.

I didn't play hardly any VS, beyond the new 2pcg but I think that works.

Star Wars has a pretty nice balancing system in that you typically want bigger units on the board as they have significant longevity. They can be just as fragile as small units but due to edge battles, playing a bunch of cards means you can't win the edge as well.

As mentioned aGoT2e is all about that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bottom Liner posted:

A Game of Thrones is kinda dominated by big characters right now (5+ cost). A recent plot card came out that wipes 3 or less cost character before combat, and it'shad a pretty huge impact on the game. It's a great game, really excited to see the next cycle.

Game of Thrones has always focused on having big characters out while little characters take the brunt. That plot is okay, but personally among my meta I haven't seen it played much because it hurts just as much as it helps.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Game of Thrones has always focused on having big characters out while little characters take the brunt. That plot is okay, but personally among my meta I haven't seen it played much because it hurts just as much as it helps.

No Greyjoy player in your meta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The early life of 2.0 was heavy on weenie decks, with the winner of worlds last year playing exactly that. Tons of 4-6 card setups to flood the board for early control, etc. I run The First Snow of Winter in my Lannister/Crossing, Stark/Fealty, and Greyjoy/Fealty right now. It can be one of the biggest comeback plots if played at the right time, similar to Wildfire, but can also be a huge punish when ahead as well.