Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
On 3.5 playthroughs I don't think I've not gotten one from my first kill. I thought it was a guaranteed drop off the one that attacks after the Cathedral zombie graves area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

I wouldn't bother, it's probably full to the brim with hacker trolls and other bullshit.

Not really. There was a Gatsu with a halberd/curved sword/etc but that was solved by never summoning him again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RyokoTK posted:

Uchigatana from the Sword Master just wrecks pretty much everything, and has bleed to boot which is fun. Sellsword Twinblade and Warden Twinblade both dominate now that they were buffed, although the latter is really loving annoying to farm so unless you want to do dex/luck for bleed I would just not bother.

The Carthus Curved Sword is also great/amazing, so is the corvian scythe.
Strangely enough if you Sharp infuse a weapon with very good str scaling, it will turn into very good dex scaling.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 21, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I think it only leans dex but I don't see drang twin spears that much and I think I have more trouble fighting them in PVP than anything else.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I think it only leans dex but I don't see drang twin spears that much and I think I have more trouble fighting them in PVP than anything else.

They get D/C to start, E/B with Sharp.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

so it really seems like you can't get the skeletons to kill anri in a seeded world anymore

i guess the host having less than every advantage possible is just too awful a thought to consider

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Yes how terrible you can no longer ruin someone's questline for the rest of their playthrough. Horror of horrors.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I finally just did a summon on sl1 pontiff. He did die halfway through though but I finally got past it. I would use a crossbow on his first phase then a raw longsword with flame arc. The problem was I couldn't do enough damage to kill the clone when it spawned though I was close. If I did kill it I simply ran out of the stamina I needed to survive his 10 hit combo or whatever he does at the end.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Might as well use the souls to level up now that you cheated on your sl1 run imo

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Melanion posted:

Yes how terrible you can no longer ruin someone's questline for the rest of their playthrough. Horror of horrors.

this is the dumbest thing you could have possibly said so gratz

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

actually he's right, it's fun to gently caress with a host for one life but potentially ruining a long term goal just makes you an rear end in a top hat, not funny.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm having fun playing this. The pvp is alright but I feel a lot of people's issues with it would be fixed if red phantoms got something better than 500 ish souls for beating a phantom. I went faith build with double blessed infusion and sun princess ring and it's pretty fun for pve and rat pvp also went with dragon slayers Cresent axe. All in all I would give this game a 7 out of 10. It's better than 2 but I had more fun with 1 because nostalgia also it was the first one I played.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Why are people so bad at fighting Dragonslayer Armor. I dont get it.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Finally finished out all the covenants. Time to actually level and beat some bosses!

I knocked out both wolfbro and aldrich over the course of last night and this morning. For others trying: Wolfbro had pretty constant summoning at 27 with +3 weapons. Aldrich had non-stop summoning (I would return to my world only to immediately be summoned again) at 34 and +4.

I probably had a 80% success rate on invasions just using crossbow + Astora Straight Sword. For Estocs I kept a Caestus and beat them to death with it like another poster here was saying. Parry their spam and when they try to parry, just punch them in face.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm terrible at dodging the shield for some reason

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Are you actually surprised that someone objects to this because "I can't permanently gently caress over singleplayer games anymore without cheating" :qq: has got to be the pinnacle of invader tears.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just so we're clear, it's impossible to save Greirat from his Lothric expedition right? Because he just died in my game and I never bought the armor off of patches AND I informed patches of the destination.

At this point I don't know what other elements could impact this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stokes posted:

Why are people so bad at fighting Dragonslayer Armor. I dont get it.

His weapon arc's much bigger than you'd think.I've seen a lot of people caught off-guard by that massive bastard two-hand attack he does, and the sneaky shield slam after getting knocked down.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RabidWeasel posted:

Why are claws so incredibly slow and weak, look how cool they are :negative:

In DS2 I ran a dual-Claw build with bleed (or maybe poison) infusion and full Dragon Covenant loadout - it was basically Shredder.

Every single thing about it either doesn't exist in DS3 or is hilariously worse - it's like I had the perfect build of stuff-that-will-never-work-again.

Sivlan posted:

Finally finished out all the covenants. Time to actually level and beat some bosses!

I knocked out both wolfbro and aldrich over the course of last night and this morning. For others trying: Wolfbro had pretty constant summoning at 27 with +3 weapons. Aldrich had non-stop summoning (I would return to my world only to immediately be summoned again) at 34 and +4.

How old is your steam account, just for reference?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Are you actually surprised that someone objects to this because "I can't permanently gently caress over singleplayer games anymore without cheating" :qq: has got to be the pinnacle of invader tears.

It's not a singleplayer game if he can invade, you dolt.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Genocyber posted:

It's not a singleplayer game if he can invade, you dolt.

It still doesn't mean an invader is supposed to be able to screw over questlines. They're supposed to be able kill the host and take his ember. That's literally the extent of "what invading is for".

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Chard posted:

actually he's right, it's fun to gently caress with a host for one life but potentially ruining a long term goal just makes you an rear end in a top hat, not funny.

1. it actually is funny when someone's strat backfires. 2 lol being an rear end in a top hat is entirely part of invasion and always has been. as if standing at the bonfire with a gank squad and seeding your world isn't an rear end in a top hat move somehow? killing npcs of other worlds is a time-honored tradition

Digirat posted:

ummmmm yes there should be some percentage of risk to using the item that nukes the one advantage invaders have, instead of, 0 percent. people have thrown around the idea of using the seed making it possible for white/gold/hosts to hit each other. that would be good too. as of now the only thing you can do is lead an ineffectual mmo train back to the host but that's actually impossible in the catacombs and probably other areas.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 21, 2016

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Might as well use the souls to level up now that you cheated on your sl1 run imo

How is that cheating? That makes no sense. The point is to finish the game without leveling, that's it. I tried my best, but after five hours or whatever I didn't really give a poo poo anymore.

On the other hand, why is that boss so hard but Aldrich so easy? 3rd try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15OpdMJG4Qs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am generally in favor of invading and thing that hosts have too many advantages in DS3 but even I think "I can't break someone else's rather fragile/obscure questline in a way they can't fix anymore :qq:" is a loving stupid thing to complain about holy poo poo.

It should be harder for hosts to chump invaders with phantoms and constant running away but come the gently caress on, people.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

In DS2 I ran a dual-Claw build with bleed (or maybe poison) infusion and full Dragon Covenant loadout - it was basically Shredder.

Every single thing about it either doesn't exist in DS3 or is hilariously worse - it's like I had the perfect build of stuff-that-will-never-work-again.

How old is your steam account, just for reference?

My steam account? I dunno, ancient. But I'm playing this on PS4.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

I am generally in favor of invading and thing that hosts have too many advantages in DS3 but even I think "I can't break someone else's rather fragile/obscure questline in a way they can't fix anymore :qq:" is a loving stupid thing to complain about holy poo poo.

It should be harder for hosts to chump invaders with phantoms and constant running away but come the gently caress on, people.

Having the ability to do that would be worth the trade of having things heavily stacked against the invader imo. If you really don't want to risk that then just play offline.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

actionjackson posted:

How is that cheating? That makes no sense. The point is to finish the game without leveling, that's it. I tried my best, but after five hours or whatever I didn't really give a poo poo anymore.

On the other hand, why is that boss so hard but Aldrich so easy? 3rd try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15OpdMJG4Qs

Because you used someone else leveling up. If you're going to loophole your way through it, why bother in the first place.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Because you used someone else leveling up. If you're going to loophole your way through it, why bother in the first place.

because it's possible. E-honor is for posers. Do what is fun for you shall be the whole of the law.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Genocyber posted:

Having the ability to do that would be worth the trade of having things heavily stacked against the invader imo. If you really don't want to risk that then just play offline.

I also agree that new players should be vulnerable to having their questlines ruined because they weren't prescient enough to know which areas to play offline.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

No, gently caress that. If a player ruins a questline in an unfixable way, it should be due to something the player did, not because they dared to play online in an area where invaders who are more knowledgeable can grief them. I'm all for invaders loving with players in fixable ways--y'know, like killing them, or closing a shortcut they opened (can you still interact with levers and stuff?), that kind of thing.

Invaders are definitely supposed to be funny dicks and in DS3 the deck is definitely stacked too much in the host's favor, but "lock someone out of an ending because they were unlucky enough to get invaded in this zone" is just bullshit. I want mechanics that encourage people to play online and be invaded, not discourage it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

*commits seppuku*

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I also agree that new players should be vulnerable to having their questlines ruined because they weren't prescient enough to know which areas to play offline.

There's a reason ng+ is a thing and you get 10 save slots.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

There's a reason ng+ is a thing and you get 10 save slots.

Not everyone wants to play through the game more than once

This is a very silly thing to complain about

I seriously can't believe the idea that invaders shouldn't be able to permanently gently caress you over in some way beyond killing you is at all controversial.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 21, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

No, gently caress that. If a player ruins a questline in an unfixable way, it should be due to something the player did

they did do something, they used the item that makes enemies aggro on the invader. you couldn't get anri killed as an invader unless the host did that.

also who tf cares about questlines in a souls game. game has three endings

Harrow posted:

Invaders are definitely supposed to be funny dicks and in DS3 the deck is definitely stacked too much in the host's favor,

ok but i seriously doubt they're going to do anything about that, so as of now this is just, further stacking the deck in the host's favor.

i dont have a desire to """""""""""ruin"""""""" other peoples games but, it's just annoying that the one thing you could do to punish seeding in this one specific area no longer exists, partially because any enemies you kite will get killed by the boulder, and also because it would seem to be an indicator of from's view on invasions now (the deck is stacked..just...right)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I seriously can't believe the idea that invaders shouldn't be able to permanently gently caress you over in some way beyond killing you is at all controversial.

haha say hello to the scraping spear

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Not everyone wants to play through the game more than once

You don't have to. But neither are you entitled to all of the game's content if you make that choice.

I know gamers are supposed to be entitled babies but c'mon.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep, it's the hosts idea to use the giant seed and they get to reap the consequences. Honestly giant seeds gently caress over hosts more than help them, because you can train mobs into the bonfire. Too bad there aren't other ways to use it against them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

You don't have to. But neither are you entitled to all of the game's content if you make that choice.

I don't think it's "entitled" to not want to be griefed in a game that's already pretty tough with quests that are already easy enough to gently caress up.

GulagDolls posted:

haha say hello to the scraping spear

You can repair broken equipment in Demon's Souls, can't you? It just takes souls. There's nothing permanent about that.

Scraping Spear was great. That's the kind of poo poo I like. It doesn't permanently gently caress you unless you choose to play through again, it's just really annoying and hilarious for the invader.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Genocyber posted:

lol if you think you're not on the entitled baby side in this argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GulagDolls posted:

so it really seems like you can't get the skeletons to kill anri in a seeded world anymore

i guess the host having less than every advantage possible is just too awful a thought to consider

host advantages are excessive but lol if you think "you can't break the other person's entire playthrough" is part of the problem