Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

anothergod posted:

So when I was looking at lenovos I saw that the t460p had a quadcore i5 in it for less than the cost of the x260 and its dual core i5s. I bought it.

Still looking at the old lappie smelling like green chartreuse. Ugh

The X260 is expensive because it's tiny and super light. If you don't need tiny and super light, there's no reason not to buy a T-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I got identical prices for the sameish builds for the x260 and the t460. The t460p is slightly bigger but I got a real quad core cpuwith it for less. *editted*

anothergod fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 17, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

anothergod posted:

I got identical prices for the sameish builds for the x260 and the t440. The t440p is slightly bigger but I got a real quad core cpuwith it for less.

T440p or T460p? The T440p has a worse screen and the garbage clickpad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think you can really consider the x260 as tiny or light anymore. It's one fat mofo compared to a 12" Macbook.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The x260 has a real i5/i7 in it with hot swappable batteries though, the 12" Macbook is just a Chromebook with an atom processor. 13" Mac Book Pros are still chunky machines because they need the thermal cooling capacity.

It's like comparing a half ton pickup vs a Japanese convertable mazda miata sports car, one is very capable, the other looks nice but only serves a handful of functions (and poorly at that) :iiaca:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I doubt that people buying 12" laptops are even looking for that much power.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mu Zeta posted:

I doubt that people buying 12" laptops are even looking for that much power.

Why? Lots of companies are in mostly or entirely 12" laptops like the X260 or HP 820 or Latitude 7270 because they're light enough to cart about but powerful enough to chuck in a dock and use at a desk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But they aren't light. The x260 weighs more than laptops with much larger screens like the Samsung 15".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think you can really consider the x260 as tiny or light anymore. It's one fat mofo compared to a 12" Macbook.

The X230 was a pig compared to the 11 Air back in 2010

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mu Zeta posted:

But they aren't light. The x260 weighs more than laptops with much larger screens like the Samsung 15".

Still a good bit lighter than a Thinkpad T-Series or E6xxx Dell Latitude, which are the options they're getting compared against.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

My friend has the XPS13 and is complaining that when she shuts off the laptop (not sleep or hibernate, but shutdown) the battery still drains significantly. Has there been a problem with the laptop using battery while shutdown? I'm read of the random reboots and battery drains but not from shutdown.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Strong Sauce posted:

My friend has the XPS13 and is complaining that when she shuts off the laptop (not sleep or hibernate, but shutdown) the battery still drains significantly. Has there been a problem with the laptop using battery while shutdown? I'm read of the random reboots and battery drains but not from shutdown.

Sounds like something updating the BIOS would fix.

Unrelated: I have a base XPS 15 and so far I've had the monitor assembly changed four times due to the bezel coming off. My question is this: Is the bezel problem also a thing on the touch screen version? I'm asking since I may have the option to either return the unit for a better one or return it. Returning it creates another issue of: What the hell do I buy instead?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There isn't a bezel on the touch version to come off. It's edge to edge gorilla glass.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bull3964 posted:

There isn't a bezel on the touch version to come off. It's edge to edge gorilla glass.

That's a comforting thought, thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Which Samsung? The business class Thinkpads get excellent recommendations based on their long term durability. My X230 is a pig, but holy hell it's in perfect shape after probably 100,000 air miles, five continents and countless cities, sailboats, trains etc. Plastic consumer class laptops are cheaper and lighter, but you can't trust their durability in the same way.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I would second updating the bios. It wouldn't hurt to check back for a new bios on occasion either. Depending on your opinion of dell they're either incapable of getting it right or are chasing perfection, so new releases are relatively common.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So I just picked up an XPS 15 to replace my aging 13" MBP. I'm pretty darn happy with this thing for the most part, but there's a minor issue with the touchpad that's driving me insane. It feels like every tap on the touchpad is registered as a prolonged click (like holding the mouse button down for a fraction of a second before releasing it), which in turn is making the laptop feel kind of unresponsive on the whole. I actually thought it was being unresponsive until I started actually clicking on the touchpad and realized what was going on. There's no actual issue with the touchpad responding to taps either, since anything I tap on immediately switches to its pressed state. It's just the delayed release that's making taps feel... not great.

I'm guessing I'm out of luck on changing this behavior and that it's just something I'm going to have to live with, right? None of the precision touchpad settings in Windows seem to apply to this particular problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah definitely check the website for new drivers. Pretty frequently the drivers that come with the laptop are barely beta quality to meet a ship date, and the QA'd drivers don't hit the website for a few weeks after manufacture due to when the drive gets imaged.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I broke my toshiba chromebook 2 i loved by shattering the screen and need something new for personal use. I have a work laptop i use for excel and stuff, so i was looking at a chromebook, but i seem to be able to get fully functional laptops for not that much more. I play games like DOTA or XCOM but nothing crazy....

I'd like to be between 2-300$ on something.

I went to best buy cause i need something ASAP and they have these things below....are any of these worth it? or am I getting hosed on all of them?

there's also two open boxed pc's i was looking at just to have a desktop again...the last time i had a computer was when i built one for doom 3 (thats how out of touch i am)

would really appreciate any direction or advice

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Waroduce posted:

I broke my toshiba chromebook 2 i loved by shattering the screen and need something new for personal use. I have a work laptop i use for excel and stuff, so i was looking at a chromebook, but i seem to be able to get fully functional laptops for not that much more. I play games like DOTA or XCOM but nothing crazy....

I'd like to be between 2-300$ on something.

I went to best buy cause i need something ASAP and they have these things below....are any of these worth it? or am I getting hosed on all of them?

there's also two open boxed pc's i was looking at just to have a desktop again...the last time i had a computer was when i built one for doom 3 (thats how out of touch i am)

would really appreciate any direction or advice

literally all of those are terrible.

Buy a used thinkpad. Maybe a t420 or t430, plop in a Samsung 850 EVO aftermarket, that'll probably get you to $300 and you'll have a much better computer than any of those.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the issue is that most modern Celerons are basically Atoms with their TDP opened up so they can run a bit faster. If you can only spend $200-300 and you want a laptop with real specs instead of an overgrown netbook, look at used business laptops like Thinkpads (T/X series depending on size) or Dell Latitude E6000 series. HP makes them too but I never hear anyone talk about those and I don't know what the good models are. A 2000- or 3000-series processor is usually comparably fast to a modern one and has a GPU that can run games on low settings. The new systems mostly just have much better battery life, smaller/lighter chassis and faster integrated graphics.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 19, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Edit: drat, sorry about the double post. Browser was lagging like mad and I didn't think it went through.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 19, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
gently caress i need something quick but i guess the money would be best spent ordering a thinkpad off amazon?

E: are those desktops really pieces of poo poo? :/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Waroduce posted:

gently caress i need something quick but i guess the money would be best spent ordering a thinkpad off amazon?

E: are those desktops really pieces of poo poo? :/

Try and snag something from this Dell outlet selection, maybe? http://www.techbargains.com/deal/427711/dell-outlet-computer-deals

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A buddy of mine has an HP Pavilion TX1000 and I think it looks pretty swell. How cheap can I pick one of those up with a functioning Windows OS?

Not really sure what I'd be using it for other than dicking around on the internet, and can't justify spending a lot of money on it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah just get a T420 from eBay and pay for expedited shipping

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How important is/will having 16gb of RAM be in our near future? Is it a must have or just nice to have?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

probably not the right thread but anyone want to recommend a wireless mouse with 1) a couple extra thumb buttons but not like 20 and 2) no need to install crap from a cd for it to work

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my Logitech M510 and I have like 8 extra just in case Logitech stops making them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Boiled Water posted:

How important is/will having 16gb of RAM be in our near future? Is it a must have or just nice to have?

It's starting to be nice to have for gaming as we see 64-bit only games that can use more than 4GB but I don't think it's necessary for anything yet. Rather unnecessary for general productivity unless you like to have 50+ tabs open at a time.

Awesome! posted:

probably not the right thread but anyone want to recommend a wireless mouse with 1) a couple extra thumb buttons but not like 20 and 2) no need to install crap from a cd for it to work

A bit expensive but Logitech's MX Master is great and doesn't need drivers, although in Windows it will automatically prompt you to install a utility that provides some optional features after you plug it in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Not critical, windows will technically run on 2GB, and SSD softens the blow quite a bit. 4 is really minimum, 8 is preferred. 12 is probably the sweet spot but nobody makes 3GB SODIMMs. I've found it hard to fill up 16gb unless you like to run a lot of VMs locally.

I would avoid 4gb unless really all you do is browse FB and watch Netflix on the thing (in which case why not just buy a tablet?)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
16gb and beyond is useful for edge case productivity tasks, but that's the kind of thing where you'll know if you need it. If you aren't already using 16gb or finding that you're limited by having less, then you probably don't need it and probably won't need it anytime into the future for normal computing stuff.

It's nice to have for games, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a gaming laptop where it matters that doesn't already come with at least 16gb. All of the mid-/high-end workstation laptops that are "good enough" for some light gaming are going to be hampered by their weaker GPUs (as far as gaming goes) long before you need to worry about the lack of RAM.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

I collect internet tabs (many of which are adobe pdfs) and I really like 16 gb.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's everyone's opinion on Sandisk for SSDs? I'm a little wary myself as I've had a couple different Sandisk products crap the bed after only a short time owning them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Sandisk for SSDs? I'm a little wary myself as I've had a couple different Sandisk products crap the bed after only a short time owning them.

An ok budget choice, which is more likely to be not bad than some other non-Samsung/Intel SSDs. Performance is lower than an 850 EVO even in most Sandisk workstation/enterprise drives though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

milkman dad posted:

I collect internet tabs (many of which are adobe pdfs) and I really like 16 gb.

I too have a crippling tab addiction and that's what got me to jump to 12GB on my desktop from 8. When I start getting low memory problems usually that means it's time to close that set of tabs from three months ago, I probably am not going to go back and read it later at this point. Also I noticed I am one of the first to realize when specific versions of Chrome have memory leaks. Versions 39-42 had serious memory issues which seem to have been fixed since.

Skylake is supposed to support 64GB RAM by default at all chipset levels now, and we're supposed to be getting 16GB DDR4 SODIMMs (finally) which means 64GB RAM in a quad-SODIMM laptop (W570 among others) will be a thing, now. I don't know what you're going to do with it, but if you're a data scientist or whatever who doesn't already to all their work in the cloud, you have options.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

With all this thinkpad talk, I'm chiming in to say I took delivery of a tricked out x260 w/ i7, 1080p IPS, 16GB RAM about 3 weeks ago. Its an upgrade from an old second hand non-IPS x230 I have, mainly to get something with a decent resolution and quality screen.

I'm very happy with it so far. There are a couple of niggles: the screen isn't the best quality display I've seen, and shows some weird vertical interlace lines occasionally e.g. when logging on. The mouse pointer intermittently freezes for a couple of seconds every so often as well, but I'm putting both these issues down to drivers and win10 which I hope will work themselves out. The keyboard is also a little bit more spongy than my old x230 and has smaller keys, but I think the sponginess is also a teething thing that just needs a bit of use to wear in.

Overall I would recommend, I was deciding between this and the xps13 and post-purchase am still glad I got the thinkpad. It just feels durable. The battery life is also good. I got the 6-cell upgrade and it lasts about 14 hours or so. In reality because I don't use it for 14 hours straight, it lasts me a couple of days of moderate use before I have to plug it in.

Other adhoc things I've noticed: The fingerprint reader sucks and isn't worth it. The backlit keyboard is useful. The fan doesn't come on all that often (for my use), and is quiet when it does. I really miss having hard volume/mute buttons that the x230 had. I feel like there is quite a difference in footprint from the x460 - it seems a lot more portable e.g. on an airplane/lap, but definitely bulkier than the Dell XPS13. I love having all the USB ports but don't think I'll use the rest (HDMI/Ethernet) as much as I thought I would.

headlight fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 21, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah Apple bought the company Lenovo used to source their fingerprint readers from. Along with all the patents that makes them reliable. I think the x240 may have been the last model with the old style (better) fingerprint reader.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

That makes sense - its so bad I'm not even bothering to use it. Its the swipe style reader rather than the apple-esque touch style that (I think?) the t460s and yogas have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looks like I forgot my charger at home for a week long trip. I have a Lenovo ideapad Y410p. I'm going to be in a large city so finding a replacement should be feasible

Does anyone have any experience with those universal power adapters? Anything to look out for?

Googling around it looks like the original charger is 120 W. If I get like a 60 or 90 W charger will it just take longer to charge or will it not charge at all?