Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
DT accepts Canadians. There's also Wolfestone, but they're more periodic, and if you like slamming your head into a brick wall for pennies there's Rev. :) I'm also having great success with word of mouth, but I'm blessed with having an academic heavy friend circle. So once you have some experience under your belt try giving your province's local health research foundation a crack. :-) I'm currently dealing directly with Dalhousie University and our NS research foundation and it's working out really well! There's also apparently lists of government approved contractors but I don't know how to get onto those or if they even have one for transcription. Oh and there's also Points West out of Vancouver but their clean verbatim style was quite subjective in my opinion although the pay would have been pretty great. If they've changed management it could be a really great gig I just had an issue with the woman who seems to have previously owned it but may still be part of their hiring team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

I signed up for odesk (now Upwork) from the 2nd page, and my God is it the most depressing poo poo ever. Nothing but 'companies' who can't spell a single word correctly in their proposals offering $2/hr for skilled work, and South and East Asians with copy pasted bios willing to do it.

If you want to feel like you're absolutely worthless, that's the site to do it. My whole team was laid off this week without notice to outsource to India, and it just feels like this is going to be the standard for any work where you're not absolutely required to be on site. Support those fast food workers who want $15/hr, cos that's all that's going to be left soon...

That's one good thing about transcription and captioning and poo poo, it requires command of the English language. I've seen transcripts poo poo out of the Philippines and it is not pretty but at least I get paid to fix that poo poo and make it readable.

I would be down with whatever the equivalent jump up to 15/hour for per footage minute would be regardless though but I'm sure as a not-employee we'd never see the gain from that even if minwage doubled nationally overnight.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I signed up for odesk (now Upwork) from the 2nd page, and my God is it the most depressing poo poo ever. Nothing but 'companies' who can't spell a single word correctly in their proposals offering $2/hr for skilled work, and South and East Asians with copy pasted bios willing to do it.

If you want to feel like you're absolutely worthless, that's the site to do it. My whole team was laid off this week without notice to outsource to India, and it just feels like this is going to be the standard for any work where you're not absolutely required to be on site. Support those fast food workers who want $15/hr, cos that's all that's going to be left soon...

I did some graphic design freelancing on there, and my experience was pretty much the same. It was completely awful. Most of the jobs I applied for went to someone in India or Philippines charging pocket change for artwork. I gave up on it after about 3 months.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Astro7x posted:

I remember signing up for it and never getting into a user test so I dumped it

I think I got an acceptance email tonight, when I have chance to check my email on my laptop I'll see where exactly the link they sent me goes. I hope it's something viable, because critiquing stuff is something I genuinely enjoy doing.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I haven't posted anything to Constant Content in two years but someone bought something from me last week. I don't even want to look at it, I bet it was crap.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Is anyone using transcription software that's not Express Scribe? With my current workflow I run the tape through express scribe and type straight into Word. My only issue with the software is that it's not flexible when it comes to different time codes. Sometimes I need exact frames and other times I don't need frames at all. It would also be a cool bonus if there was software that could automatically add brackets like [15:00:24:15] because right now I manually type BRACKET - COPY TIME - PASTE - BRACKET and I feel like there's got to be a quicker way. I'm also thinking about buying some text-expander software too.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Killfast37 posted:

Is anyone using transcription software that's not Express Scribe? With my current workflow I run the tape through express scribe and type straight into Word. My only issue with the software is that it's not flexible when it comes to different time codes. Sometimes I need exact frames and other times I don't need frames at all. It would also be a cool bonus if there was software that could automatically add brackets like [15:00:24:15] because right now I manually type BRACKET - COPY TIME - PASTE - BRACKET and I feel like there's got to be a quicker way. I'm also thinking about buying some text-expander software too.

I'm using Inqscribe and it does what you're looking for. A hotkey for inserting timecodes [with brackets] and you can turn frames on or off. It also auto-detects the framerate of the video and everything. You have to type into Inqscribe though, can't type into Word as far as I know.

Definitely get a text expander. I've been using PhraseExpress because it's free and works well enough. For DT stuff, I always start by making a shortcut for the filename followed by four spaces. So that when I time stamp I can just type "fff, SPACE, Ctrl + ;, RETURN" and everything is set up. It's incredibly handy and saves a lot of time.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Killfast37 posted:

In Express Scribe if you go to Options-->Display there is a place where you can add the prefix (filename, bracket) and suffix (end bracket). You can assign other hotkeys as well. You can also use Word's auto-type function to get some things too, for instance when I type [ni] I get [NON-INTERVIEW] and I have a bunch of others in there.

I also use Inqscribe if I need to do frames, but I find it annoying not to be able to type into a Word file directly.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Killfast37 posted:

Uh, go to Options -> Display and you can put in brackets, filenames, whatever around the time code.

For adding frames I use this Autohotkey script (ctrl-1 copies the TC in my Express Scribe), I basically hit F1, it pastes in the time and waits for two characters, then goes to the next line and enters the person's name:

F1::
send, ^1
send, ^v
SEND, :
input, userinput, v l2
send, {enter}
send, {enter}
send, NAME:
send, {space}
send, {space}
exit

Here's my normal DT format ones (with brackets and filename on in display -> options:

F1::
SEND, Q:
SEND, {SPACE}
SEND, {SPACE}
EXIT

F2::
send, ^1
send, ^v
send, {enter}
SEND, DR. DUDE:
SEND, {space}
send, {space}
exit

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Pete Zah posted:

Definitely get a text expander. I've been using PhraseExpress because it's free and works well enough. For DT stuff, I always start by making a shortcut for the filename followed by four spaces. So that when I time stamp I can just type "fff, SPACE, Ctrl + ;, RETURN" and everything is set up. It's incredibly handy and saves a lot of time.
Awesome this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I also use Inqscribe if I need to do frames, but I find it annoying not to be able to type into a Word file directly.
Yeah that's kind of a deal breaker for me. I don't like the additional step of getting it in Word and making sure everything is still good format wise. In my first month transcribing I would type directly into Express Scribe's notes. One day I had just finished a 70 minute file and selected all to copy and paste it into word. Instead of copying it I hit a c instead of ctrl+c and replaced the entire transcript with c. Couldn't undo it or manage to get the transcript back.

thylacine posted:

Uh, go to Options -> Display and you can put in brackets, filenames, whatever around the time code.
Can't believe I've been transcribing for 6 months and didn't know this. Thanks for the AHK script that looks incredibly useful.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Killfast37 posted:

Can't believe I've been transcribing for 6 months and didn't know this. Thanks for the AHK script that looks incredibly useful.

It's okay, it took me forever not to manually input the time code before I noticed I could paste it in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I still just paste everything in, gently caress it. As long as there aren't multiple assholes cutting each other off every 2 seconds then it's fine by me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You should give Autohotkey a try, hitting f1/f2 for q&a just feels smoother. I mean it's free and all. Or f2, f3, f4, f5 for dialogue lovely poo poo. Or you can program it for dumb poo poo like that Love/Hip Hop New york with the stupid columns, etc.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Killfast37 posted:

Yeah that's kind of a deal breaker for me. I don't like the additional step of getting it in Word and making sure everything is still good format wise. In my first month transcribing I would type directly into Express Scribe's notes. One day I had just finished a 70 minute file and selected all to copy and paste it into word. Instead of copying it I hit a c instead of ctrl+c and replaced the entire transcript with c. Couldn't undo it or manage to get the transcript back.

InqScribe would've saved you. Automatic backups of project files every few minutes, plus a one-key undo that I've never, ever had fail me even going back 15+ operations for when I really gently caress things up. Plus, it's really handy having a plain-text backup of a transcription file sometimes. Once you get the hang of importing data into Excel from a text file it makes even the tetchiest ABS format a breeze. And the built-in timecoding engine is a thing of beauty. Adjust formats, bracketing, frames, frame rates and even offset specific timecodes in a transcript with ease.

No, I don't get paid for hawking InqScribe. It's just a really, really handy transcription program. :)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 4, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I also just manually place it in. I've tried using a shortcut, and now that I've seen this Express Scribe stuff I may try it again, but I tend to be like 2-3 seconds behind in my typing anyways. I just keep this in my clipboard:

FILENAME [15:5:]
QUINN:

and paste it for every time code, then add in the missing numbers, and update it every 10 minutes of audio.

I also use my own shortcuts for tags, iii for [INAUDIBLE], nnn for [NON-INTERVIEW] etc, and just find/replace at the end. I guess I'm a bad typer, because this brackets always slow me down.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
So would this be the closest SA has to a supplemental income megathread? Sorry for the baby question.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MrSlam posted:

So would this be the closest SA has to a supplemental income megathread? Sorry for the baby question.

It'll get you beer money, yeah.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, it's way easier (and safer) to approach this as a supplement to your day job rather than trying to do it full-time. You can do this full-time, but it takes time and experience to reach the point where that's really feasible, and it takes dedication and effort to manage enough clients to maintain a steady paycheck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know there's already a Voice Over thread (I think in CC), but for anyone who's interested, https://www.voicebunny.com is an option. They have a test you need to pass to prove that you're actually able to deliver a quality product, but if you do, they have multiple jobs that pop up per day for me (that I usually miss out on since I'm at my day job), and I'm probably in the most crowded demographic, 30-something white North American male.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
My voice is best suited to being behind a keyboard listening to other people talk. However if they need someone to type the poo poo other people say, then whatever I'd be down to listen to randos talk about whatever, that's already my job.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know there's already a Voice Over thread (I think in CC), but for anyone who's interested, https://www.voicebunny.com is an option. They have a test you need to pass to prove that you're actually able to deliver a quality product, but if you do, they have multiple jobs that pop up per day for me (that I usually miss out on since I'm at my day job), and I'm probably in the most crowded demographic, 30-something white North American male.

I have actually been told my voice is quite pleasant and articulate. Maybe I'll try this. I've wondered how I could possibly break into voice work. Thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deathbagel posted:

I have actually been told my voice is quite pleasant and articulate. Maybe I'll try this. I've wondered how I could possibly break into voice work. Thank you!

If you need any pointers (not that I'm a great VO, but I've trained as an audio engineer), PM me. Keep in mind that Voice Bunny will pick up on any slight echo or background noise in your audition and will give you a chance to redo it, so you not only need the talent and voice, but also the proper surroundings and, as I mentioned before, gear.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Here's a short and probably stupid question: On the DT NDA, there are three blanks to fill: one for "date," one for "name," and one for "by." What's the purpose of the "by" blank? I suppose I could sign one and print my name on the other.

Also, it only took them a little over three months to accept me. Yippy.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Print your name on "name" and sign on "by". (Honestly I don't think it'll matter if you mix them up, but that's what you're meant to do.)

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Do you guys have any suggestions for Europeans? I'm trying to boost my zero income while looking for a job locally. Getting kinda desperate and willing to work for slave owners while I find my feet.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

After having a couple kind of skeevy files in a row, it is really nice and uplifting to transcribe a guy who just really loves animals :3:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Pete Zah posted:

After having a couple kind of skeevy files in a row

For some reason Goodbye Horses started playing in my head

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MrSlam posted:

For some reason Goodbye Horses started playing in my head

Good, it should be playing in your head all day every day, like it does in mine.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Any tips for prepping a resume for DT? What should I emphasize? I have an undergrad/masters in a field that has required a lot of academic writing.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

sitchensis posted:

Any tips for prepping a resume for DT? What should I emphasize? I have an undergrad/masters in a field that has required a lot of academic writing.

It's pretty much a formality because what matters is whether you can do the test file they send you. I would not be surprised if you could put "-Is a very cool dude" at the bottom of your resume and get hired so long as you do the test file really well. I wish more jobs worked that way.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Pete Zah posted:

It's pretty much a formality because what matters is whether you can do the test file they send you. I would not be surprised if you could put "-Is a very cool dude" at the bottom of your resume and get hired so long as you do the test file really well. I wish more jobs worked that way.

Thanks!

The email I got back after applying says "To be considered for a position with Daily Transcription we require that ... you are a citizen of the United States."

So, uh, how much of a hard rule is that considering I am Canadian? The thread gave me the impression that Canadians were OK.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Unless they changed like within the past couple months, Canadians should be fine.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Well, that was amusing. Had a client get peeved at me when I suggested an eight-page revision script for a 53-minute scripted ABS was a little on the anemic side and pull the job. I need to be pickier about crappy jobs more often. :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Today I finally experienced audio quality so abysmally low that I had to reject a file entirely based on being not confident that I could discern even half of the video. Where do conference groups buy their loving equipment from? Do they even buy it or are they making their own recorders with Dixie cups and string?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Shima Honnou posted:

Today I finally experienced audio quality so abysmally low that I had to reject a file entirely based on being not confident that I could discern even half of the video. Where do conference groups buy their loving equipment from? Do they even buy it or are they making their own recorders with Dixie cups and string?

Business IT budgeting:

#1 Swanky $3,000 laptops for managers who use them solely for email and to open Powerpoint and Excel files
#5,000 lol, maybe some working media equipment? The old stuff isn't even broken yet!

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I swear every focus group I've had records the whole room with a wide angle web cam and records the audio from it too. I can handle most poo poo audio, but when you have poo poo audio and then add eight speakers I'd rather eat a bullet than transcribe that garbage.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

It finally happened. I just got offered an ABS job for a show for which I transcribed the raw interviews. :)

And I love focus groups. That is, as long as they come from my per-hour client.

"Yeah, I'll go back over and make some ridiculously minor but time-consuming changes. No problem!"

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

How do I transcribe/timestamp someone who won't stop mm-hmm'ing while a question is being asked? They got after me once when I neglected to transcribe those and I haven't had to deal with it for a while. It feels wrong to timestamp like 10 seconds of "Yeah. Mm-hmm. Ah. Okay. Let me actually answer your question now." Maybe tag non-interview? Seems like everything this person says is going to be appended with the tag then.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Pete Zah posted:

How do I transcribe/timestamp someone who won't stop mm-hmm'ing while a question is being asked? They got after me once when I neglected to transcribe those and I haven't had to deal with it for a while. It feels wrong to timestamp like 10 seconds of "Yeah. Mm-hmm. Ah. Okay. Let me actually answer your question now." Maybe tag non-interview? Seems like everything this person says is going to be appended with the tag then.

That's weird, the only time they've told us to transcribe that stuff is that Comedians in Cars stuff afaik. Sure questions aren't "clean verbatim" in that they skip those parts? Should say at the bottom of the instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

thylacine posted:

That's weird, the only time they've told us to transcribe that stuff is that Comedians in Cars stuff afaik. Sure questions aren't "clean verbatim" in that they skip those parts? Should say at the bottom of the instructions.

The questions are summarized, respondent is verbatim. It's the respondent that keeps making the people noises, not the interviewer. I looked through my emails and found that the time they mentioned me missing the filler was when both interviewer and respondent were verbatim, so maybe I'm safe to ignore that stuff in this case.