Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I feel like smasher is a better creature against tokens and other control decks. I am using 3 grasps and 2 prices main deck. No stones main deck.

You run the save removal package as me expect you have 1 more ruinous path. I'm guessing maybe you only run 2 secures?
I also don't run any Declarations in Stone sideboard. It doesn't work at instant speed for ormandahl, and if tokens are my concern I run 5 main deck board wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
GP Charlotte's pairings system is so hosed up now that we are doing random pairings the rest of the day instead of Swiss lol

Everyone that drops before round 5 starts gets a free unlimited pass for the rest of the weekend

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 21, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

ooo has some absurd bomb commons and doesn't really work unless you play with old damage on the stack rules. ool and ols were better, but again, the stack rules

What are you talking about, sparksmith is perfectly fair

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

GP Charlotte's pairings system is so hosed up now that we are doing random pairings the rest of the day instead of Swiss lol

Everyone that drops before round 5 starts gets a free unlimited pass for the rest of the weekend

so what, now I assume there's a thousand people in line to drop?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Last night I think I used Westvale Abbey's token-maker effect more than everyone else in the state combined. Over the course of the night I made ~10 clerics with it. Surprisingly useful too, since it let me stabilize with an otherwise fatal board state long enough to draw and drop Secure the Wastes for 8 and then flip+swing with Big O for lethal a couple of times.

I've also been enjoying how often Always Watching fucks up people's combat math. So many wins stolen by "my guy survives, +1 from AW" "ah poo poo, forgot that."

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Attorney at Funk posted:

There is, in fact, a huge drop out line. I'm 3-1 so I'm not dropping yet but also something about tiebreakers from today not counting tomorrow since it's random pairings. Since the system is fuckin up its taking each round like 90+ minutes, we haven't started round 5 at 4:10 p.m. and we started around 9:45 a.m.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

holy poo poo I'm actually glad I didn't get staffed at charlotte now

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4kfbyo/important_announcement_for_gpcharlotte_attendees/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

You run the save removal package as me expect you have 1 more ruinous path. I'm guessing maybe you only run 2 secures?
I also don't run any Declarations in Stone sideboard. It doesn't work at instant speed for ormandahl, and if tokens are my concern I run 5 main deck board wipes.

I run 3 secure.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I still can't get over that top decked mine to play and crack mindslaver, ultimate lili, sac all your permanents from gp la.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

A big flaming stink posted:

If you want a laugh that borders on crying, look up the prices for signed cards by Christopher Rush

I sold my signed Gauntlet of Might last year :(

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

I still can't get over that top decked mine to play and crack mindslaver, ultimate lili, sac all your permanents from gp la.

That play made me glad that I was able to watch the coverage today. That was amazing.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7lT5UdCyA

Looks about that many, yeah.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
BAN FETCHES

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Patrick Chapin curving into Darkdwellers-Bust against JC Tao (who then floats mana and breaches in a prime time to get lands back). It's always nice to be reminded why I love this format.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Man, modern freaking rules now. GDD acts as a 4/4 with armageddon.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

This match between Chapin and Jiachen Tao is great. Both games have been amazing so far.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Patrick Chapin curving into Darkdwellers-Bust against JC Tao (who then floats mana and breaches in a prime time to get lands back). It's always nice to be reminded why I love this format.

And then JC Tao comes back with a Through the Breach Primeval Titan and wins

What a great game.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mr. Peepers posted:

This match between Chapin and Jiachen Tao is great. Both games have been amazing so far.

Does Chapin have a health issue. Watching his hands he's constantly shaking and it seems like he is overly nervous which is weird for a 10+ year pro.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

80s James Hetfield posted:

Does Chapin have a health issue. Watching his hands he's constantly shaking and it seems like he is overly nervous which is weird for a 10+ year pro.

Guilty conscience

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Guilty conscience

He did literally go to jail for dealing drugs and may or may not have had a man killed

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Too many drugs in his youth.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

He has some sort of thing that gives him tremors.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's not always super noticeable but it shows up on coverage sometimes.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Elyv posted:

He did literally go to jail for dealing drugs and may or may not have had a man killed

:thejoke:

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

No, he really did time for trafficking.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Everyone knows this. At the end of his podcast, he plays a song where he raps about going to jail using magic terminology. No one needs reminding.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping Jeskai gets kicked in, so I don't feel bad about trading a foil Nahiri at 30 dollars value.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CountFosco posted:

Everyone knows this. At the end of his podcast, he plays a song where he raps about going to jail using magic terminology. No one needs reminding.

I just stArted listening to his podcast and haven't finished the episode yet, thanks for the spoilers!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Thank god I didn't go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Impressive how non-stop the GPLA coverage has been.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

CFB usually does a good job and I don't know why there aren't always timeshifted matches if you have at least 4 commentators.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
drat just lost my 4th match at round 7 :( was fun though, but drat 9 rounds is a lot of magic.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else see that guy Nahiri ult forgetting Emrukel was in his hand so he brought out a SnapCaster. He still won against affinity with lightning helix / SnapCaster beat downs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Did anyone else see that guy Nahiri ult forgetting Emrukel was in his hand so he brought out a SnapCaster. He still won against affinity with lightning helix / SnapCaster beat downs.

Playing UWR is so worth it for the Affinity Matchup alone

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh hey

UB mill onstream

also pili pala/grand architect was onstream earlier

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much money WotC is losing from GP Charlotte. I'm really glad I didn't judge it now.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoth posted:

Surprisingly useful too, since it let me stabilize with an otherwise fatal board state long enough to draw and drop Secure the Wastes for 8 and then flip+swing with Big O for lethal a couple of times.

If you're calling him that, you gotta yell "SHOOOOWTIIIME" when he flips. Those are the rules.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Manic Scribe: good enough to be a 4-of in modern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Manic Scribe: good enough to be a 4-of in modern

Watch numot destroy in limited with two of them.

• Locked thread