Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I actually did try kiting the skeleton train up to the catacombs bonfire once, after killing the ball-controller. it seems like they won't even follow you up the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

host advantages are excessive but lol if you think "you can't break the other person's entire playthrough" is part of the problem

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

You don't have to. But neither are you entitled to all of the game's content if you make that choice.

I know gamers are supposed to be entitled babies but c'mon.

You already can't regardless! With mutually exclusive quests and such.

But like if you're trying to do things one way in a particular playthrough for whatever reason, and then an invader comes in and ruins that, how is that remotely fair?

Personally I like getting invaded. I played through the game embered most of the time and enjoyed fighting or running from invaders as appropriate. I hope I provided the kind of invasion experience people enjoy.

But if there were any chance an invader could mess up something in my game besides killing me, I'd be much less inclined to let myself be invaded at all. And then it's less fun for me, and one less potential invasion target for them.

GulagDolls posted:

haha say hello to the scraping spear

I never played Demon's Souls, but didn't that just break your armor? Even if that's annoying it's not permanent.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

1. it actually is funny when someone's strat backfires. 2 lol being an rear end in a top hat is entirely part of invasion and always has been. as if standing at the bonfire with a gank squad and seeding your world isn't an rear end in a top hat move somehow? killing npcs of other worlds is a time-honored tradition

Look, if you get your jollies that way then go for it, the game technically allows things like that, but you can get properly hosed if you expect sympathy when FROM tweaks things to make your dickery slightly more inconvenient to pull off. You're the worst kind of whiner.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Where's that video where the invader manages to kill someone's Emerald Herald in the Dragon Aerie through a combination of Warmth and their Old Sun Ring?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I never played Demon's Souls, but didn't that just break your armor? Even if that's annoying it's not permanent.

Agreed. The biggest mistake Fromsoft has made is not including a new scraping spear that permanently destroys items the other guy has equipped. That would also be a good way of balancing things.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All that aside that one video from DSII where the invader killed the Emerald Herald through a combination of Warmth and the host wearing that exploding ring while the host was AFK was hilarious.

It was just the perfect storm of unlikely events, and a profoundly careless host

E:

Alabaster White posted:

Where's that video where the invader manages to kill someone's Emerald Herald in the Dragon Aerie through a combination of Warmth and their Old Sun Ring?

Haha

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

No, gently caress that. If a player ruins a questline in an unfixable way, it should be due to something the player did, not because they dared to play online in an area where invaders who are more knowledgeable can grief them. I'm all for invaders loving with players in fixable ways--y'know, like killing them, or closing a shortcut they opened (can you still interact with levers and stuff?), that kind of thing.

Invaders are definitely supposed to be funny dicks and in DS3 the deck is definitely stacked too much in the host's favor, but "lock someone out of an ending because they were unlucky enough to get invaded in this zone" is just bullshit. I want mechanics that encourage people to play online and be invaded, not discourage it.

yea for real, invaders shouldn't be allowed to break npc quests. that'd really suck

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Agreed. The biggest mistake Fromsoft has made is not including a new scraping spear that permanently destroys items the other guy has equipped. That would also be a good way of balancing things.

Help police im getting trolled

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Killing Anri doesn't really get you any closer to your goal of defeating the host. I don't see why it's even relevant to the discussion of invasion balance. It's not like FROM disabled a legitimate invasion tactic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Help police im getting trolled

Sorry, my account is on the "do not autosummon" list.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
You could always hope you get a host dumb enough that you could lure to the NPC and trick them into striking them, instead of taking advantage of enemy AI to do it. Letting enemies do that seems excessively harsh, since it's not like the host can revoke a seed once it's used during an invasion unless he risks penalizing himself with Alt-F4. And that's assuming the host can even see that's what you're doing and knows to stop it.

Edit: Besides, if you really want to do that, you'd be better off trying to get someone like Orbeck or Irina killed since you'd leave the host incapable of turning in spellbooks.

Speaking of breaking things, though, is Acid Surge worth a drat in this one? Every time I think about using it, I remember that I could never get Poison or Toxic Mist to work in PVP because it's so easy to run out.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 21, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Chard posted:

Look, if you get your jollies that way then go for it, the game technically allows things like that, but you can get properly hosed if you expect sympathy when FROM tweaks things to make your dickery slightly more inconvenient to pull off. You're the worst kind of whiner.

haha is saying that hitboxes are broken whining too. you forgot to use the qq emoticon

Regy Rusty posted:

But like if you're trying to do things one way in a particular playthrough for whatever reason, and then an invader comes in and ruins that, how is that remotely fair?

murdering npcs has never been something the invader could just, do, without any action from the host. it was never possible unless they seeded or tried to fight you directly next to anri. this happened once when the host used a weapon art that shoved me behind anri and made it impossible for me to get out. they just kept attacking. there was actually nothing i could do to prevent his murder, that time

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 22, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

double nine posted:

because it's possible. E-honor is for posers. Do what is fun for you shall be the whole of the law.

congrats on the really dumb post

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

Speaking of breaking things, though, is Acid Surge worth a drat in this one? Every time I think about using it, I remember that I could never get Poison or Toxic Mist to work in PVP because it's so easy to run out.

Apparently not at all. Probably good against Washing Pole users or idle players :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

Killing Anri doesn't really get you any closer to your goal of defeating the host. I don't see why it's even relevant to the discussion of invasion balance. It's not like FROM disabled a legitimate invasion tactic.

That's because they disabled all of those before launch :rimshot:

But yeah, it sucks to be an invader in DS3 and I wish they'd do something about it, but removing a griefing opportunity isn't what I'd call unreasonable.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I think invaders should be able to click duel signs to summon more invaders while in the host world. That would be cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

add a 4v4 red vs blue arena that mound makers can invade. winning gives you your relevant covenant item

let spectators bet titanite or covenant items on the outcome

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The DS3 npc questlines are already stupid bullshit without letting random fuckers invade you and completely ruin them

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I think invaders should be able to click duel signs to summon more invaders while in the host world. That would be cool.

Actually, on this note, what does the "restrict/enable your summon sign in enemy phantom worlds" option actually do?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alabaster White posted:

Actually, on this note, what does the "restrict/enable your summon sign in enemy phantom worlds" option actually do?

Region locking, I think.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Region locking is its own separate option.

I have no idea what the enemy covenant thing does, tho.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Cyberventurer posted:

You could always hope you get a host dumb enough that you could lure to the NPC and trick them into striking them, instead of taking advantage of enemy AI to do it. Letting enemies do that seems excessively harsh, since it's not like the host can revoke a seed once it's used during an invasion unless he risks penalizing himself with Alt-F4. And that's assuming the host can even see that's what you're doing and knows to stop it.

Edit: Besides, if you really want to do that, you'd be better off trying to get someone like Orbeck or Irina killed since you'd leave the host incapable of turning in spellbooks.

I did that yesterday, host ran away from me and just started hanging out up near Orbeck for some reason. This guy's been a huge pain so I just stood next to Orbeck and dodged while he repeatedly hit him with straight sword spam. Then he ran away again and pulled the plug.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

So I invade this guy's world and I'm repeatedly launched into the air with nobody near me.

I then find the host of embers and he's shooting out arcane missles with the wrath of gods animation.

Fun.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

host advantages are excessive but lol if you think "you can't break the other person's entire playthrough" is part of the problem

My second favorite DS1 invasion thing was tricking people into killing the giant blacksmith. I got a message once that was like, ":(. Why?"

My favorite DS1 invasion thing was stone-cold murdering the giant blacksmith with an invader witness.

actionjackson posted:

How is that cheating? That makes no sense. The point is to finish the game without leveling, that's it. I tried my best, but after five hours or whatever I didn't really give a poo poo anymore.

I was joking but I'm pretty sure no one else is.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Night Blade posted:

So I invade this guy's world and I'm repeatedly launched into the air with nobody near me.

I then find the host of embers and he's shooting out arcane missles with the wrath of gods animation.

Fun.

Ha, I had the exact same happen on my first (and so far only) wolf invasion.

Has anyone in the thread tried the family sharing fix for covenant summons on PC and had it work? Given the quality of steam forums comments I don't know that I trust the possible confirmation bias in the thread over there.

e: I also hope I gave my most recent invader just the biggest sigh of relief earlier. I had a wolfbro come in right as I was about to log off and I tried fighting him for a bit but I had someone waiting on me for dinner so I just ran up to the bonfire and sat for a toast. I like to think the guy thought "Oh hell here comes three sunbros" but nah I just want to recover my souls easily after eating, dude.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 22, 2016

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I agree, but only if you replace "invaders" with "mound makers." They're the chaotic free-for-all silliness faction, after all.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Melanion posted:

Has anyone in the thread tried the family sharing fix for covenant summons on PC and had it work? Given the quality of steam forums comments I don't know that I trust the possible confirmation bias in the thread over there.

It worked for me, although you'll have to repeat the steps to move the file back to your main account. As soon as I tried it, I got 3 summons in 5 minutes. Went back to my real account and it stopped. I'm really annoyed that I have to do this just to get it to work, but I ended up farming an estimated 933 silver knights to get the 28 ears I needed at 360 item find right before the trick came out and I wouldn't recommend anyone ever doing that, even broken up into small segments like I did it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Melanion posted:

I tried it and it worked. I went from getting 1-2 Sentinels/blades summon over a playthrough, to getting near constant summons. I never had problems with Aldrich on my old account, so there was no change there. Didn't test watchdogs, as I was past the level range.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I was joking but I'm pretty sure no one else is.

Oh....

Well anyway, I cheesed him in his first phase every time with a crossbow so eh

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
While DS3 is harder on the invaders, I don't think it's really as bad as some make it out. At least on the PS4, invaders almost always seem to work together now, so if you're patient and good at playing keep away/holding the host's group off, then some impromptu cooperation can level the playing field noticeably. You can also pick invasion spots carefully, to take advantage of terrain and tough enemies. This can be especially useful if they use a giant tree seed, since, if you're good at dodging, you can lure enemies into groups. I've had lots of luck doing this in places like the Irithyll Dungeon and Archdragon Peak.

It does feel like PVP in this game could've used a bit more though. Having a blue eye orb, or some other way to seek out invaders/sinners, would make the blue sentinels/darkmoon far more appealing. On a similar note, I also would've preferred it if sin had made a return, along with an indictment system, mainly for the aforementioned reason. Finally, I think a means for turning on friendly fire for the duration of an invasion would not just help prevent hosts and phantoms from bunching up and spamming attacks to crush invaders, it make fights far more frantic.

Stuff like easily cheesed weapons and abilities is just par for the course for all of the souls games unfortunately, so I'm not sure much could really be done to do anything there without changing core elements of the gameplay.

And, while it's definitely not the majority opinion, I think DS2 Scholar of the First Sin was probably a more enjoyable more enjoyable experience for me. This one generally plays better and is largely solid, but it feels limited in some more ways than the previous entry in the series. Still better than vanilla 2 though and the bosses are probably more interesting, even if their music usually isn't.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Melanion posted:

i did it and for a short while, i couldn't unequip the wolf covenent because i was getting an invasion summon literally right after finishing the last one.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bring on more death

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Bring back the scraping spear and soulsucker, fix your game From.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I like getting invaded and I don't equip way of the blue, but it annoys me when invaders just stand around near monsters waiting for me to get entangled in a pve fight so they can jump in and finish me off. It's been an ongoing theme today while I play my new sorceress. I'm about to start calling the cops.

Sotfs on ps4 is great right now for pvp. Invaders wave and wait for you to clear an area to duel.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I like getting invaded and I don't equip way of the blue, but it annoys me when invaders just stand around near monsters waiting for me to get entangled in a pve fight so they can jump in and finish me off. It's been an ongoing theme today while I play my new sorceress. I'm about to start calling the cops.

Sotfs on ps4 is great right now for pvp. Invaders wave and wait for you to clear an area to duel.

Everyone makes up and plays by their own rules and they are always in the right and you are always in the wrong in their mind.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Happy Hedonist posted:

That's why you carry a giant seed :colbert:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

This isn't true. That one video only tested a handful of weapons for phantom length, and notably those weapons just happened to be popular PvP ones. There are a bunch of weapons that don't get nearly as much phantom length as others. Try using the drang hammers sometime and marvel at how despite being the same size as a straight sword its way harder to hit anything with them if you aren't right in its face.

And may god have mercy on your soul if you like the Caestus.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

That's why you carry a giant seed :colbert:

Jfc ran a str build through ng+, halfway through ng on a sorceress, and I just find out what and where this seed is. I suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the amount of people who run away and hide in invasions amazes me. In the time they sit around waiting for me to take thier bait, they could have done 3 more invasions and actually won one.