Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

We're still in last place...but by fewer points! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Hello Towel posted:

We're still in last place...but by fewer points! :woop:

congrats you did it

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sounders are proper poo poo. This blows.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What's it like watching dreams die

Did you find any Jersey turncoats crying as they realized they hosed up and chose the wrong side, knowing they'll never, ever live it down

Did you watch as people who felt like they HAD to get in fights because That's What You Do shove each other while hundreds tut-tutted and filmed it for Twitter

Did you feel all the revulsion from Pirlo and Villa as they realized they could have had it easy in LA instead

Did you laugh since despite losing by a football score at a baseball stadium, the biggest boos of all were for Frank Lampard

Did you enjoy yourself

Because I did

I very much so enjoyed myself. Security also has improved 10 fold. Fantastic afternoon.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Imagine having to choose which New York MLS team to root for: the one named after an energy drink, or the one that's a partnership between Abu Dhabi oil money and the loving Yankees

They were a club before the energy drinks you know.

Also, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*Deep breath*

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

They were a club before the energy drinks you know.

New York/New Jersey Metrostars - what a great, non-embarrassing name.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hello Towel posted:

New York/New Jersey Metrostars - what a great, non-embarrassing name.

Not minor league at all, doesn't sound a thing like a focus group designed 90's women's league experiment

Imagine waiting 21 years to be better than someone you hate

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Not minor league at all, doesn't sound a thing like a focus group designed 90's women's league experiment

Imagine waiting 21 years to be better than someone you hate

Dallas Burn
Kansas City Wiz
Miami Fusion
Tampa Bay Mutiny
San Jose Clash
Columbus Crew

Chivas USA
Sporting Kansas City
Real Salt Lake

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Dallas Burn
Kansas City Wiz
Miami Fusion
Tampa Bay Mutiny
San Jose Clash
Columbus Crew

Chivas USA
Sporting Kansas City
Real Salt Lake
Even though a number of those names have changed, it's nice to see the spirit live on in the PDL, where we have:

Lehigh Valley United Sonic
F.A. Euro
Southern West Virginia King's Warriors
South Georgia Tormenta
West Virginia Chaos
Albuquerque Sol FC
SW Florida Adrenaline
Kokomo Mantis FC
San Diego Zest
FC Golden State Force

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Dallas Burn
Kansas City Wiz
Miami Fusion
Tampa Bay Mutiny
San Jose Clash
Columbus Crew

Chivas USA
Sporting Kansas City
Real Salt Lake

Get Columbus off that list, with its good name and crest

MetroStars is a bad name, saying "other names are bad" changes nothing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That's a lot of FC in that list. It's not like we say Yankees BC or something.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

effectual posted:

That's a lot of FC in that list. It's not like we say Yankees BC or something.

And we call it soccer, so FC is extra stupid

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

camoseven posted:

And we call it soccer, so FC is extra stupid
FÚTBOL NOT FOOTBALL!!!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Really mad I was only able to watch up until 2-0 in the redbull game, but lol. I'm dvring the rerun. I'm going to be doing these moves while watching the match

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Crazy Ted posted:

Even though a number of those names have changed, it's nice to see the spirit live on in the PDL, where we have:

Lehigh Valley United Sonic
F.A. Euro
Southern West Virginia King's Warriors
South Georgia Tormenta
West Virginia Chaos
Albuquerque Sol FC
SW Florida Adrenaline
Kokomo Mantis FC
San Diego Zest
FC Golden State Force
Abq Sol is a good name, FC is not a good addition to it

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Bruce Arena at his best:

On if he feels that they stole a point:
“Stolen? It was a good game and we played very well in the second half. That’s not stealing a game. Stealing a game is when you’re just crap for a game which we see often in our league and you win. We weren’t crap on the day.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tigren posted:

Bruce Arena at his best:

On if he feels that they stole a point:
“Stolen? It was a good game and we played very well in the second half. That’s not stealing a game. Stealing a game is when you’re just crap for a game which we see often in our league and you win. We weren’t crap on the day.”
The Ray Parlour > 2016: We weren't crap on the day

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
DC and Marcus Halsti mutually terminate contract. I wish he had been better.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
And also now Birnbaum rumored on the way to the Netherlands. Ffs. Losing Kitchen, Birnbaum, and (maybe) Hamid would be disastrous. Not to mention Najar not long ago.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

And also now Birnbaum rumored on the way to the Netherlands. Ffs. Losing Kitchen, Birnbaum, and (maybe) Hamid would be disastrous. Not to mention Najar not long ago.

You'll still have Ben Olsen...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's pretty funny, I have had so many arguments with DC area bloggers about our acquisitions, player fitness etc. They always make these bullshit arguments as if DC doesn't ruin everything is touches and generally make bad choices. "Oh, Halsti is a great player, he'll be a key player for us moving forward as we build" and all of that. Once again they are proven to be wrong. Birnbaum is definitely gone, he is too smart and talented and his representation is too smart and talented to allow him to languish. Hamid will return and be mediocre following his surgery and time off. He'll likely try to jump ship too. Acosta, the mediocre midfield maestro will also likely be gone by the Summer. Things are looking bright.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's pretty funny, I have had so many arguments with DC area bloggers about our acquisitions, player fitness etc. They always make these bullshit arguments as if DC doesn't ruin everything is touches and generally make bad choices. "Oh, Halsti is a great player, he'll be a key player for us moving forward as we build" and all of that. Once again they are proven to be wrong. Birnbaum is definitely gone, he is too smart and talented and his representation is too smart and talented to allow him to languish. Hamid will return and be mediocre following his surgery and time off. He'll likely try to jump ship too. Acosta, the mediocre midfield maestro will also likely be gone by the Summer. Things are looking bright.

Seek help.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Seek help.

They sit in the same section as me at games turd ferguson.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

That's like arguing in the comments section. Never go full retard man. You know this.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They sit in the same section as me at games turd ferguson.

Find a new seat.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

DC is a bad team with bad players, a bad manager, and bad fans.

I'll see you guys next wednesday :smithicide:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Recap from going to the Timbers game last Sunday:

Some guy wanted a designated corner taker like the MLB has a designated hitter. I smiled and nodded and I never saw him again.

Best fans in the US my white Portland rear end.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Jewsbury as a ~designated corner taker~ would be better than watching Valeri sail it over everyone 6 times per match.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Shrapnig posted:

Seek help.

he isn't wrong

e - i mean the actively engaging people like matt doyle is a poor decision, but everything else is sound

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Foreign myth

https://twitter.com/HoustonDynamo/status/735655654787059712

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Brutal

https://twitter.com/RipSports/status/735654558072852480
https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/735655870273572865

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Halsti is another player that Olsen can't use because he's technical and not ~all heart~ the way he likes them.

Shammy you're a loving idiot.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

boom roasted

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Owen Coyle is a bigger fraud than Ben Olsen. He wasn't successful in Europe and he definitely was not here.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Halsti is another player that Olsen can't use because he's technical and not ~all heart~ the way he likes them.

Shammy you're a loving idiot.

Halsti wasn't technical, he was shite. He barely played, and none of his performances were really memorable. I am sure if I took a trip on the wayback machine I could make some .gifs of middling MLS journeyman catching him while he was on a trot and literally taking the ball from him without any effort to stop it. That would require me to go back and actually watch that turd fumble around the field and I get enough of that headache watching DC play every week.

Toward the end the team gave the usual "he's taking some knocks and has some nebulous injuries" [Note: this is always bullshit] but even after some knocks you don't get out of shape as poo poo. I don't know the guy, but I got the vibe that he felt we were garbage and low class as an organization and he filled his time with living in DC on 300k a year doing jack poo poo; perhaps sipping coffee and getting hit on by NoVA cougars with too-tight Forza Italia t-shirts that reveal just enough cleavage to be tasteful, yet appealing.

Tigren posted:

Owen Coyle is a bigger fraud than Ben Olsen. He wasn't successful in Europe and he definitely was not here.

The difference is no one had any expectations of Olsen. He came in a third through a year and everyone was like "OK, this will do until we find another coach" but at that exact moment the club management were across the hall in the dark shadows, rubbing their hands together with a devious pedophile type face muttering "in 7 years you fools."

I mean look I poo poo on Olsen a lot, but i've spoken to him, heard him talk, and he just doesn't have any confidence that good coaches have. You hear it when you hear Klopp, Mancini, Enrique and even many lower echelon coaches at the top of their division. You even hear with with Arena. Olsen becomes animated when he discusses things like the old days of DC United or his time in England. The rest of the time he kind of stumbles over questions about tactics and his choices and everything becomes unintelligible.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 26, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Also, if NYCFC lose or tie this week, no Eastern Conference team will have 20 points before June. Philadelphia has a chance to breech 20 with a tie or win on June 1.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 26, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I have zero proof but I really liked Halsti when he played last year. He looked a bit slow, but his passing and positioning was on point. I recall being very excited that he was getting minutes because he was a good technical balance to the balls-to-the-wall-shin-kicking heart that is Perry Kitchen.

But anyways, remember Hamdhi Salihi? Yeah that guy was poo poo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
https://gfycat.com/VelvetyGreatBrant

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 27, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I really could have done without seeing Vince McMahon's O Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

If you lose to Chicago, you probably deserve to get fired.

Caleb Porter, you're next. :gbsmith:

• Locked thread