Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

He stared into the Abyss.

And smashed a sword in its face :stare:

It's a pity it's so clearly such a huge roll of the dice. Crits are 1.5x damage, so he had to get up to 115 damage and crit to allow that to happen the way it did. His damage range was 58-116, and his crit percentage was like 30%. This is basically the coolest thing but gently caress off if I'm ever gonna be able to do it in my own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I believe that crits automatically roll maximum damage and then get the multiplier, so the only tricky part is ensuring the crit itself. As long as you have high enough maximum damage you can exactly estimate how strong a crit will be.

30% is definitely not reliable, but if you savescum it'll probably happen within a handful of tries.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, I wasn't aware that crits were entitled to maximum damage. That makes this a hell of a lot easier if true. 116 * 1.5 = 174, though, so unless there's some wonky floating point stuff going on that may not be true.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nakar posted:

I believe that crits automatically roll maximum damage and then get the multiplier, so the only tricky part is ensuring the crit itself. As long as you have high enough maximum damage you can exactly estimate how strong a crit will be.

30% is definitely not reliable, but if you savescum it'll probably happen within a handful of tries.

Is that new? Or does it only apply to certain moves?

I definitely remember the joys of having a jester crit for less than the crusader is doing normally, or having the occultist "crit" heal for 2.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Crit 0 is an occultist rite of passage

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mzbundifund posted:

Is that new? Or does it only apply to certain moves?

I definitely remember the joys of having a jester crit for less than the crusader is doing normally, or having the occultist "crit" heal for 2.
It seems to be true for damage, but it has never been true for healing. It also takes into account things like skill multipliers, so a -33% DMG skill won't crit for 1.5x base damage exactly.

Crits always rolling for maximum is partially why Grave Robbers are so good. If crits still rolled for damage you'd get a lot of very weak GR crits.

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, I wasn't aware that crits were entitled to maximum damage. That makes this a hell of a lot easier if true. 116 * 1.5 = 174, though, so unless there's some wonky floating point stuff going on that may not be true.
Damage values are not integers (though they are displayed as such) and are only rounded off at the end of all damage calculations, so the actual maximum damage is probably somewhere between 116-117 in a way that rounds up to 175.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nakar posted:

Damage values are not integers (though they are displayed as such) and are only rounded off at the end of all damage calculations, so the actual maximum damage is probably somewhere between 116-117 in a way that rounds up to 175.
He rolls 173 in the video, so I'm guessing it's actually somewhere between 115-116, since 115 * 1.5 = 172.5, which would then round up presumably. I guess that makes sense.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
By the way, someone looked at it and apparently figured out that single-target heals have a 12% crit chance and multi-target heals have a 5% crit chance. So that is one reason to favor the Vestal's ST heal over her MT, though on the other hand she has a 5% chance to crit heal every member of the party. It also somewhat explains why the Occultist feels like his heal crits more, since he only has a ST heal.

I don't think you can raise your crit healing chance, even with generic +Crit boosts.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Crit 0 is an occultist rite of passage
Crit 0 AND bleed. If it kills one of your crew in the process, you should get an achievment for it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nakar posted:

By the way, someone looked at it and apparently figured out that single-target heals have a 12% crit chance and multi-target heals have a 5% crit chance. So that is one reason to favor the Vestal's ST heal over her MT, though on the other hand she has a 5% chance to crit heal every member of the party. It also somewhat explains why the Occultist feels like his heal crits more, since he only has a ST heal.

I don't think you can raise your crit healing chance, even with generic +Crit boosts.

Multi-heals roll to crit for each individual, and a 5% chance to crit 4x is a total ~21.5% chance to crit at least one target, vs a 12% chance for a single target heal. Unless you desperately need a lot of healing on one target, or only have 1 or 2 party members that need healing, party heals for the vestal are a more efficient use of a turn than single heals, not just in terms for chances at scoring a crit, but also in terms of total health restored per action.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Azran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsTZtH8308

Someone managed to beat the final boss without CUYM activating. Amazing.
God loving drat. That leper is the real Eldritch horror.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Are the Antiquarian's special loot boosting abilities listed anywhere in game? Do any other characters have similar special abilities (ie abilities that aren't combat or camping skills) ?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Kekekela posted:

Are the Antiquarian's special loot boosting abilities listed anywhere in game? Do any other characters have similar special abilities (ie abilities that aren't combat or camping skills) ?

Having a Leper in your party increases the proc rate of "Yo Miron so fat" jokes by 70%

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Do trap disarm rates count? Some classes are better at it than others.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Do trap disarm rates count? Some classes are better at it than others.

Not really, since I can see those from the character screen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the religious/nonreligious quality isn't explicitly listed

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Node posted:

God loving drat. That leper is the real Eldritch horror.

Plague Doctor #1: What the hell just happened?
Plague Doctor #2: I don't know! I can't see around Fatass over there.
Plague Doctor #1: God damnit Miron, get out of the way to we can do the come unto your maker thing and get this going.
Plague Doctor #3: I am readyish to lay down my life.
Plague Doctor #2: Seriously, Miron what's the holdup? Say something you tub of lard.
Miron: Look guys, I-I just got so nervous. And you know that I stress eat.
Plague Doctor #1: We're out of food Miron, don't lick the slime off the walls again.
Miron: That's not really going to be a problem...See the heart was making this keening noise, and it was making me feel all kinds of uncomfortable; so I-um-I ate it.
Plague Doctor #3: Miron so fat he ate the Heart of Darkness.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

p sure that's the post the Ancestor read just before shooting himself

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ruin has come to our sub-forum.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Are big huge effort posts appreciated here? Too bad.

Just found what might be my favorite team comp. Vestal / PD / Hound / (Tank). I've used a Leper and MoW in front, but I feel that a Crusader is probably be the best option.

Easiest dungeon runs I've ever had - single target focus, stun, dots, heal, de-stress. Overall damage might be low but you have so many stuns and dots. Dots are so great for comps with lots of healing, as they let you make easy judgement calls. Like, if an enemy is guaranteed to die on it's own, you know you are safe to heal up rather than needing someone to deal that last bit of damage and either rolling low or missing. Then enemy attacks, crits, and someone eats it. Being able to act on perfect information is so invaluable.

VESTAL - Judgement / Dazzling Light / Divine Grace / Divine Comfort.
PLAGUE DOCTOR* - Plague Grenade / Incision / Battlefield Medicine / Disorienting Blast.
HOUND MASTER - Hound's Rush / Hound's Harry / Black Jack / Lick Wounds.
CRUSADER - Smite / Zealous Accusation / Stunning Blow / Inspiring Cry.
* Most versatile. Build depends on dungeon the team is going into. Switch out Incision and replace with Noxious Blast or Blinding Gas, and swap out Disorienting Blast for something else. Mix to taste.

Important Camp Skills:
Therapy Dog / Hounds Watch / Stand Tall / Zealous Speech / Leeches / Experimental Vapours.

Trinkets: Don't really know yet, ideas? Do you think giving everyone bloodthirst rings is a good idea, or ultimately unnecessary given how much healing the party has?

Makaris fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 23, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Makaris posted:

Trinkets: Don't really know yet, ideas? Do you think giving everyone bloodthirst rings is a good idea, or ultimately unnecessary given how much healing the party has?

Good Lord no, you have a Vestal AND three characters with healing skills, that's practically overkill on its own. Your Vestal wants some kind of +Heal that doesn't gently caress with her stuns, I suggest her class Tome, and something that boosts ranged accuracy. The Plague Doc is Blasphemous Vial forever and always and then one of her other class trinkets. If you throw a +Stun on alongside the Vial you can seriously stun enemies up to three turns straight. Dogman gets his Cudgel Weight and Spiked Collar or some other +DMG thing. Crusader is pretty much whatever you want at that point, because everyone else has stuns and healing covered so he really needs to be doing as much damage as possible.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

Ruin has come to our sub-forum.

More shitposts… more Miron so fat jokes… more disappointment.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Node posted:

More shitposts… more Miron so fat jokes… more disappointment.

Another poster... another misfortune.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

curious is the post-maker's art. his efficacy unwitnessed by anyone ever, at all, in any way

Makaris posted:

VESTAL - Judgement / Dazzling Light / Divine Grace / Divine Comfort.
PLAGUE DOCTOR* - Plague Grenade / Incision / Battlefield Medicine / Disorienting Blast.
HOUND MASTER - Hound's Rush / Hound's Harry / Black Jack / Lick Wounds.
CRUSADER - Smite / Zealous Accusation / Stunning Blow / Inspiring Cry.
* Most versatile. Build depends on dungeon the team is going into. Switch out Incision and replace with Noxious Blast or Blinding Gas, and swap out Disorienting Blast for something else. Mix to taste.

the vestal skillset appears to be the default back-row, non-profane-scroll loadout and thus is probably about as uncontroversial as possible. i am however a little alarmed at how you are treating my wife, the plague doctor.

once you get a profane vial, aka probably the best trinket in the game, you get a ridiculous bonus to stuns, and she ain't got Blinding Powder, aka "that skill what consistently locks down the two back-row stressers, possibly two turns in a row". maybe you find Disorientating Blast helps out with that by bringing them to the front rows, i dunno? also Incision is a curious choice, i never really rated that skill as anything other than a "finish off front-rank wounded foe in the final stages of the fight" option, in which case i usually use the single-target blight skill so that i have the chance of sneaking in a cheeky heal or buff from another team member.

for dogman i would ditch Lick Wounds and probably introduce Guard Dog or Target Whistle for the -Prot, and for the Crusader i'd probably ditch Stunning Blow and replace it with Holy Lance for the inevitable party shuffle that will hit you and vex you.

trinketwise i would give vestal +stun and +heal, or alternatively her own head and a -stress item (calming crystal would be great). plague doctor gets blasphemous vial and +speed or -stress. dogman gets either spiked collar or protective collar, and some form of slayer ring - cudgel weight would be good if you want him to be all stun all the time. crusader would get swordsman's crest and probably that common trinket that gives +melee damage in exchange for a pittance of dodge

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

In time you will know the tragic extent of my posting.

Makaris posted:

Bloodthirst rings are only for level 0 people going into the dungeon with a more experience party, or for an entire party of low level scrubs who are trying to get more profit out of a run by skimping on food. You should probably focus on damage and stunning trinkets for that party; you don't have much offense at all so you'll need help beating through things, and you have a ton of self healing so if you stun the last dude on the other team you can make up for the extra hit you took from not having defensive trinkets.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Explore 90% Of Rooms

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Explore 90% Of Rooms

That's pretty normal.

Hope you're set up for a dark run!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was a Champion dungeon with level 5 heroes and level 4 equipment. they all also had the secret disease "diabetes" where they get a hunger popup every single corridor.

no deaths and only one insanity though, as they waded through three giants and a million, billion wolves

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Started playing again after only playing the beta version way back when. Still fun!

:confuoot:

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So I played this to death after it was first released, but it looks like a bunch of poo poo has been added. Should I start a new game, or wait till more stuff is released?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

BobMcFartsens posted:

So I played this to death after it was first released, but it looks like a bunch of poo poo has been added. Should I start a new game, or wait till more stuff is released?

Play. There aren't any content updates coming any time soon now. Town events were the last thing on the agenda to add.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Snow Job posted:

Play. There aren't any content updates coming any time soon now. Town events were the last thing on the agenda to add.

Wait, have they been added? I haven't played for a bit, and I'm reading the update history on steam and I can't tell if they're in yet or still coming soon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They're live in the beta branch if you opt in.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
I'm so excited to finally play this dammed game. Though I suppose I may as well wait another two weeks for this patch to shake down.

I can play some Pillars of Eternity! Which also finally seems feature complete.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:allears:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
So it turns out Town Events have been out for a few days now! Started a new game and so far they've been entirely positive, a free town upgrade of my choice and all abbey stress relief activities free for a week. I'm expecting something horrific to happen soon.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
town events are fun as hell but they seem to be a bit bugged. I literally have only done ruins maps on my new file because the game keeps giving me the Ruins extra experience and damage one.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

I know it's a reference to that one picture, but...hell. Real farming in this place? That's hope, that is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I know it's a reference to that one picture, but...hell. Real farming in this place? That's hope, that is.

American Gothic by Grant Wood.

What you can't see is the innsmouth look on the woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Is it just me or does the Frothing Madman's Doomsday attack sound like the Swedish Chef?

Also:. gently caress THE GODDAMN COLLECTOR