Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes! :) Details are on the Kickstarter page but I'll summarize it a bit.

This is a neat project. I see she hit her goal, congrats for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Anyone who got bored of WicDiv during the last arc (Not me, but I know a lot of people weren't so keen) , should definitely try picking up from the new arc. It's great, and everything the last arc wasn't. It's been pretty much non stop action and revelations so far, and Baphomet and The Morrigan are loving gems. Hell, the whole cast is on top form, and there have been some epic rumbles. Good, good stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Da gently caress is Ananke up to? :stare:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Da gently caress is Ananke up to? :stare:
It looks to me like she has to personally kill four gods each cycle, with the final god requiring some kind of ritual sacrifice, to stop the Darkness. My guess is that Persephone and Crew will gently caress everything up, and the next arc(s) will be about the gods banding together to stop the Darkness their way. Which seems awfully afterschool-y but I mean that's pretty much Kieron's style, as anyone knows if they've read Young Avengers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I also picked up a few of IDW's anthology book Amazing Forest but it's really been quite a let down with pretty but bog standard stories.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Does anyone know if the cover of Renato Jones is anything like what's inside? This might sound silly but I don't want to read it if the book's some kind of creepy, misogynist snuff fantasy.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It looks to me like she has to personally kill four gods each cycle, with the final god requiring some kind of ritual sacrifice, to stop the Darkness. My guess is that Persephone and Crew will gently caress everything up, and the next arc(s) will be about the gods banding together to stop the Darkness their way. Which seems awfully afterschool-y but I mean that's pretty much Kieron's style, as anyone knows if they've read Young Avengers.
Now I'm reminded of the first issue. There were four gods from the last cycle who looked like they all came together to commit group suicide, because their two years were implied to be up. They snapped their fingers and the house went ablaze and Ananke was outside. Now I'm just thinking that she was the one who did it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

For those of you thinking BKV won't kill Hazel you are on crack. This is the guy who killed 355, a bunch of cute lions, Ampersand, and turned Mitchell Hundred into a Manchurian candidate. Happy endings aren't in his repertoire.

EDIT-Oh yeah and he killed Kremlin

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 7, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

lotus circle posted:

Now I'm reminded of the first issue. There were four gods from the last cycle who looked like they all came together to commit group suicide, because their two years were implied to be up. They snapped their fingers and the house went ablaze and Ananke was outside. Now I'm just thinking that she was the one who did it.

I'm sure the issue(s) that reveal(s) Ananke's Devious Plan also shows what happened and what she got up to last cycle and I already can't wait.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Picklepuss posted:

Does anyone know if the cover of Renato Jones is anything like what's inside? This might sound silly but I don't want to read it if the book's some kind of creepy, misogynist snuff fantasy.

I wouldn't call it specifically misogynist, but it's definitely the same sort of violent cartoon as Andrews's Iron Fist run, and there are several women killed.

It's as if a post-2001 Frank Miller was instead way, way too into Occupy Wall Street.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone else try Cinema Purgatorio?
It should be of interest to a lot of you that Kieron Gillen is serializing a post-apocalyptic Pokemon pastiche in it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone else try Cinema Purgatorio?
It should be of interest to a lot of you that Kieron Gillen is serializing a post-apocalyptic Pokemon pastiche in it.

I'm a sucker for Moore, so I planed on checking it out soon.

My backlog is MASSIVE, and I'm trying to clear it out before Rebirth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New Island! :toot:

:stonk:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rat Queens status: Uh oh
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731612480426803200
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731624268828540929
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731625972554862592

Not clear if bringing back Upchurch was the idea before the decision to put it on hiatus, or it's the plan now. Maybe there's some sort of a hands tied thing if he's the co-creator, but you can't imagine him coming back could ever work out well for the author or Image.

e:
https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/status/731969168338124801
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731978734492749824

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 16, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Its like Wiebe is daring Image to cancel the book.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bringing back Upchurch will cancel the book anyway after a huge chunk of the fanbase straight up abandons it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
IDW should grab John Rogers and hire Fowler to do a new Fell's Five miniseries. Strike while the iron is hot.

OK, I just want a pay off for the tiefling warlock's storyline from that book, alright?!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pope Guilty posted:

Bringing back Upchurch will cancel the book anyway after a huge chunk of the fanbase straight up abandons it.

I already canceled my Comixology subscription when I heard the news yesterday. They're not getting any more of my money, at least.

Gaz-L posted:

IDW should grab John Rogers and hire Fowler to do a new Fell's Five miniseries. Strike while the iron is hot.

OK, I just want a pay off for the tiefling warlock's storyline from that book, alright?!

Is John Rogers even doing anything right now?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Is John Rogers even doing anything right now?

He works on "The Librarians" on TNT.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bryan Lee O’Malley's Snotgirl preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29314-meet-bryan-o-malley-s-next-introverted-wierdo-in-snotgirl-1-preview.html

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How is Crossed +100? It sounds interesting - I've honestly been put off reading any Crossed comics, because it sounmds like 'oh, there's an interesting idea', then there's all the Garth Ennis 2edgy4u TORTURE AND VIOLENCE, and it just sounds unpleasant, and not something I really want in my house. (Like, they do 'normal' and 'torture' variant covers for the ongoing series? Why?)

Is it less unpleasant than the original comics? The franchise does sound interesting, and uses a lot of tropes I like - post-apocalytic setting, man vs man, an anthology format, but it sounds so mean spirited I've never read any of it. I mean, part of the reason why I like The Walking Dead is the sense of optimism - even at his lowest points, Rick is always fighting to bulid a better world, and he belives in his ideals and his friends. I'm guessing the two franchises are very different?

Skipping ahead 100 years sounds like a really cool hook, but the sound of the tone of the series puts me off. How is it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've only ever read the original Crossed miniseries, but I enjoy Crossed 100. There's a lot to recommend to it - it has an interesting look at a "rebuilt" post-apocalyptic society (a specifically Muslim society at that), I really like its science fiction hook (at least during the initial Alan Moore run, each issue was thematically based on a classic work of science fiction), there are discussions on politics and society, there's an actual conspiracy/detective angle that I find kind of creepy - there is gore and violence, but it's not the focus. There are issues with no actual Crossed, and a big plot aspect is if the Crossed can ever overcome their nature.

With the caveat that I stopped reading The Walking Dead a few years ago, I don't think I'd really compare it. There's a lot more focus on the societal aspects in Crossed 100, and the "horror" factor isn't really "watch these guys get torn apart by mutants/zombies" but "I don't know what's actually going on here, but every hint just makes it creepier and creepier to imagine what the end game is going to be."

So I guess the TLDR is, as someone who got tired of The Walking Dead and has no real interest in the Crossed series prior, I like Crossed 100.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I hate the Crossed series in general because pointless gore etc. but Crossed +100 is actually good since it has a plot and characters

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The worst thing about Crossed is how it is ruining Mercury Heat right now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I found Moore's issues of +100 interesting enough, and then issue #4 or #5 flips it and recontextualizes the entire thing. Spurrier hasn't done anything near as good with his tenure, and I think I'm done with it for now. I might go back and try reading again once it's done, since apparently +100 is meant to have a conclusive ending somewhere around issue #20.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Crossed is a pretty interesting spin on the zombie idea - a virus that turns people savage and 'other' to various degrees, with the last few uninfected humans trying to survive? That's an interesting concept. It's just the way that the series seems to advertise the gore and rape and torture as spectacle puts me off. I read some of the solictations, and they all seemed to be promoting how SO EDGY and AWESOMELY GORY the series is. Seriously, those 'torture' variant covers are pretty disgusting and just seem mean spirited. A variant cover is meant to be an incentive - I'm not sure how a cover showing people roasting and butchering each other is an incentive?

It seems a bit too....Garth Ennis-y for my taste? I might have a skim through the webcomics, but from what I've read, it seems like a cool idea, presented in a really tasteless and cruel way. Like, with the Walking Dead, sure Rick kills people, its exciting to see him fight the walkers, and even Negan's banter is funny, but it's all moving to a goal of 'we can bulid, we can work together, we can be civilised again'. The entire point is that Rick is trying to make a safe place, where people can be people again. They're in sort of a post-post apocalytic thing right now too, since its been four years after the walker outbreak happened.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 18, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Moore issues of Crossed +100 are very well done, but as to whether they're less horrific, good god no. The last issue of his storyline is nightmare inducing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ennis's last couple of arcs have actually been comparatively restrained, although Avatar keeps doing these utterly repulsive "incentive" covers.

David Lapham's the one who started going truly apeshit with it, and unfortunately, a lot of the guys who came after him have been trying to raise the stakes even higher. I usually like Christos Gage, but the arc he's doing right now is downright nauseating. I'm not sure how much of it is down to the artist, though.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Did anyone else pick up Archangel? I'm a fan of Gibson's work in general and liked it, but curious to know what others thought of it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

The story has a rich person who tortures and kills poor people, and then hulks out into a big monster when the protagonist attacks him. It came across as silly but probably not in the way the creator intended.

Zweihander01 posted:

Did anyone else pick up Archangel? I'm a fan of Gibson's work in general and liked it, but curious to know what others thought of it.

I liked it, but I was disappointed to see it's only a five-issue mini-series. It doesn't seem like much can happen.

I also read Mae by Gene Ha. The art is really good, and it's interesting to see Ha drawing more cartoony characters. However it 's a pretty generic story about people in the real world finding a way into a fantasy world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O posted:

First issue of Joyride by Jackson Lanzing and Colin Kelly with art by Marcus To was really good. It's only a mini but I already want it to be a monthly. It's about a future Earth that's closed off from the rest of the galaxy by a giant metal dome and three characters that break out and steal an alien ship to tour the galaxy that has been hidden from them. It's fun and the art is great. Pick it up.

Quoting myself to say read this book. Issue two just came out and it's fantastic. And it got upgraded to a full ongoing!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rat Queens status: Uh oh
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731612480426803200
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731624268828540929
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731625972554862592

Not clear if bringing back Upchurch was the idea before the decision to put it on hiatus, or it's the plan now. Maybe there's some sort of a hands tied thing if he's the co-creator, but you can't imagine him coming back could ever work out well for the author or Image.

e:
https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/status/731969168338124801
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/731978734492749824

That...loving sucks :( I need more books like Rat Queens in my life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy gently caress things are really cooking in Monstress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Started up with Cinema Purgatorio and Providence. Couldnt be happier. For an anthology, Purgatorio is really meaty and dense. Likewise with Provedence despite the radically different subject matter. Despite supposedly a Lovecraft story, it's really more about queerness and being an outsider in 1920s America... so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometime's Moore's extra materials are ridiculous though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like Providence and I like Lovecraft but the supplemental diary entries at the end of each issue take me like 2-3 times as long to get through as the issue itself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're well worth reading though even if they are incredibly dense. I just got to #3 and the pamphlet from St Jude's was :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got a few more issues in and AUAAUAAAAAAAAGH AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHHHGGGH AAAAAAAA AaaaaaAAAAAAaaAAAAaaAaaaa.....

I read, turned the page, kept reading, my brain caught up and went "WAIT WHAT THE gently caress, HOLD EVERYTHING" then my blood froze and teeth felt like they were going to explode out of my mouth jesus christ.

gently caress.

gently caress me this was a few hours ago and I'm still hyperventillating thinking about it. gently caress.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I've read all released issues of Tokyo Ghost and it is fantastic!
Very refreshing in the breakneck pace, not a single dull page. Self-conciously lowbrow in the amount of sex and violence and dystopian sci-fi tech, but all of it is so gorgeously rendered that I can't get annoyed at it. I went kinda cold on Sean Gordon Murphy some time ago because he is an idiot every time he speaks and his art has not been so striking for a few years, but here he hits a homerun, especially with the help from Matt Hollingsworth. So much detail in every splash!

What is kinda grating is Remender venting out about KIDS WITH GIZMOS, badbad Internet and how going green and DIY is the only solution maaaaaan. It is all very aging punk/stoner stuff, harmed even more by making one of the villains a gamer that drops phrases like "pwn" and has a loving Power Glove. On the other hand, that heavyhandiness has its charm too and reminds me of violent 80s anime, which is always a good inspiration.

If you liked Remender's X-Force run, check it out, it has the relationship similar to Psylocke/Archangel at its core and hits lots of the same dramatic notes (with amped bodycount).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Is anyone else up to date on Deadly Class? Not sure where they're going next with this one.