Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

So it's well established Thunder was garbage and the main event would be Bryan Adams vs Rick Steiner in a pivotal match for the control of WCW. But were there any great matches that happened on it?

Like they'd let Eddie and Psychosis go 20 minutes and do whatever the gently caress they wanted or Jericho and Raven open the show for a couple segments and have a really good tv match without any bullshit.

After mid 98 there were very few. Thunder was where you'd see the baffling stuff like Disciple singles matches. You'd get some good Jericho promos but the main star they'd stick on Thunder was Bret Hart and Bret's matches weren't very good in WCW. His promos were great, but you can only do so much in the ring with that kind of a groin injury.

Thunder had a lot of good stuff in early 2001 though. They stuck the cruiserweights on there so you'd see a lot of new talent in fresh match ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Was it on a Thunder that had the Jericho vs Wrath match where Jericho locked himself out of the arena? (And where someone opened a door that was supposed to be locked, and both Jericho and Wrath ran past the camera stopped and laughed. All broadcast nationally)

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

After mid 98 there were very few. Thunder was where you'd see the baffling stuff like Disciple singles matches. You'd get some good Jericho promos but the main star they'd stick on Thunder was Bret Hart and Bret's matches weren't very good in WCW. His promos were great, but you can only do so much in the ring with that kind of a groin injury.

Thunder had a lot of good stuff in early 2001 though. They stuck the cruiserweights on there so you'd see a lot of new talent in fresh match ups.

Bret Hart was bewildering in WCW because in the WWF his promos were almost never very good but his WCW promos were great - sometimes funny even (I never doubted El Dandy again).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Bret gets a bad rap for his promos in WWF. Like theres no denying originally he was terrible and it took forever to find his rhythm, but in 97 everything just clicked for him and he became legitimately a great promo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Skinty McEdger posted:

Bret gets a bad rap for his promos in WWF. Like theres no denying originally he was terrible and it took forever to find his rhythm, but in 97 everything just clicked for him and he became legitimately a great promo.

My vague memory is that he was... OK... as a smug :frogc00l: heel, but was completely 1 dimensional and super dull as a face, but I could be imagining it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Oh yeah, everything he did with Steve Austin was amazing, agreed. That Hart Foundation heel run was stellar.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

I still wouldn't say he was great. He had great promos with others, but he always sounded awkward to some degree on his own.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think part of the issue is that in Stamepede, pretty much all he had to say was "Karachi Vice, we're gonna beat you down on Saturday in Lethbridge" and that was generally good enough, because he was a Hart, and he backed it up in the ring. Then when WWE started using him, they probably realized that, so he was put with Jimmy Hart for a long while which, in fairness, was a good, solid move, because Niedhart wasn't any good as a talker either (although he did have a cool maniacal laugh). I think those 2 things kinda stunted his development as a talker for a while, although you'd have thought he'd have learned a thing or two by being around so many good talkers. I guess Bret just didn't see it as overly important, and with what he managed to accomplish, gently caress it, maybe he was sorta right.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's funny, but if Bret had been good with promos to begin with he never would've ended up with one of the most iconic parts of his character - they only put shades on him because he looked absolutely terrified when they filmed pretapes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

Was it on a Thunder that had the Jericho vs Wrath match where Jericho locked himself out of the arena? (And where someone opened a door that was supposed to be locked, and both Jericho and Wrath ran past the camera stopped and laughed. All broadcast nationally)

I remember Jericho doing a Spinal Tap bit which had him wandering around looking for the ring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

I remember Jericho doing a Spinal Tap bit which had him wandering around looking for the ring.

He did. Although that was intentional, the chase shaking out the way it did was not. Or so Chris says, who knows, it was WCW.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Say Nothing posted:

it wasn't quite a Spinal Tap bit.

He was spoofing Goldberg's entrance and couldn't find the ring. Then he got locked outside.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

jericho wandering around lost backstage saying "hello cleveland" was a spinal tap bit

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BrigadierSensible posted:

ayn rand hand job posted:

it wasn't quite a Spinal Tap bit.

He was spoofing Goldberg's entrance and couldn't find the ring. Then he got locked outside.

oatgan posted:

jericho wandering around lost backstage saying "hello cleveland" was a spinal tap bit

WCW was the best and I wish it were still running to this day :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was in fact on Thunder though.

RZApublican posted:

WCW was the best and I wish it were still running to this day :allears:

It is.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

[Brooklyn, Africa] doesn't count!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Who was in charge of talent acquisitions in wcw?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Terry boella, brother

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's weird that Ed Leslie never adopted "Bollea" as the name of a gimmick. :wcw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Given the history of this thread I should state tonight's Tuesday Nitro features the debut of the birdshit logo set. Join us:

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

We missed out on a Marvel crossover :smith:

Sting/Spider-man

The Hulks

Bret/Captain America

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Corek posted:

It's weird that Ed Leslie never adopted "Bollea" as the name of a gimmick. :wcw:

Not for lack of wanting to ride Hogan's coattails mind you.
He adopted both the 'Boulder' and 'Hogan' monikers early in his career.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Not for lack of wanting to ride Hogan's coattails mind you.
He adopted both the 'Boulder' and 'Hogan' monikers early in his career.

Eh, at that when they both started, they were actually a tag team and advertised as brothers. It was at the very start of Hogan's career, before it really took off.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Baron Beefcake
Big Brother Booty
The Booty Man
Brother Bruti
Brute Force
Brutus Beefcake
The Butcher
The Clipmaster
The Disciple
Dizzy Hogan
Ed Boulder
Eddie Hogan
The Mariner
The Man With No Name
The Zodiac
The Zodiac Man

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Say Nothing posted:

Baron Beefcake
Big Brother Booty
The Booty Man
Brother Bruti
Brute Force
Brutus Beefcake
The Butcher
The Clipmaster
The Disciple
Dizzy Hogan
Ed Boulder
Eddie Hogan
The Mariner
The Man With No Name
The Zodiac
The Zodiac Man

The Man With No Face

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Man With No Face

I believe you mean "fur face".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Both, actually

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Furface was so random. He got to beat the crap out of Earthquake, which never happened (dude was protected well enough that even Hogan never really dominated him). Then he was gone.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

Baron Beefcake
Big Brother Booty
The Booty Man
Brother Bruti
Brute Force
Brutus Beefcake
The Butcher
The Clipmaster
The Disciple
Dizzy Hogan
Ed Boulder
Eddie Hogan
The Mariner
The Man With No Name
The Zodiac
The Zodiac Man

When and where was he called The Mariner?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was a gimmick he was supposed to do right after he came back from his injury, when he showed up in a mask and do run-ins. I'm not sure they ever actually called him "The Mariner" on air, though, because they decided to drop the idea. He wasn't fully healed and was at risk of re-injuring himself.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

It was a gimmick he was supposed to do right after he came back from his injury, when he showed up in a mask and do run-ins. I'm not sure they ever actually called him "The Mariner" on air, though, because they decided to drop the idea. He wasn't fully healed and was at risk of re-injuring himself.

Wasn't his injury the result of a jet ski accident? I really hope The Mariner would have been a jet ski-related gimmick.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://kayfabecommentaries.com/DVD_TW_1997.html

oh hell yes, Kevin Nash on these is always mega-entertaining

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RZApublican posted:

Wasn't his injury the result of a jet ski accident? I really hope The Mariner would have been a jet ski-related gimmick.

Parasailing. He was rigging a friend up for it, someone raised an arm, the driver of the boat thought that was the "GO" signal, and it ended up with his friend's feet stomping into his face and fracturing it horribly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sixteen ring names. Has anyone had more?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Technically Plowboy Frazier has been billed under more names, but several of them were slight variations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In the course of ten years or so, Leslie had two names in WWF: Eddie Boulder and Brutus Beefcake.
In five years of WCW service, he wrestled as The Butcher, The Man With No Name, Zodiac, Booty Man, and the Disciple.

Similarly, Ray Traylor managed to burn through The Boss, The Guardian Angel, Big Bubba (Rogers), and Ray Traylor in the course of about four years.

The key to having a lot of name/gimmick changes on TV was to be an ex-WWF guy who lost his gimmick when he came over with Hulk Hogan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some lucha guys who have wrestled under more masks than The Beefer had names.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Technically Plowboy Frazier has been billed under more names, but several of them were slight variations.

Geez, 22 ring names!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Elmer

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was gonna say, while most of them didn't have as many names as the Booty Man, a lot of territory guys wrestled under 5-10 names. You can find lots of guys with slight variations on the same name depending on what would play in the territory they were in (maybe to be more or less "ethnic" sounding), a couple names that were totally different, and then maybe they were a masked jobber in two separate places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Someone wrote a lot of words about Brother Bruti

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/09/the-bizarre-convoluted-career-of-ed-leslie-wrestli.html

It's actually a pretty fun read