Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress off Grapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ugh. Anyone driven through Merritt, BC? Terrible murals of country singers on walls all over the place. Their dead staring eyes haunt me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Ugh. Anyone driven through Merritt, BC? Terrible murals of country singers on walls all over the place. Their dead staring eyes haunt me.

:lol:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm moving to NL so I wanted to get some background to their history and politics. Are there any readings that could be recommended?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

never happy posted:

I'm moving to NL so I wanted to get some background to their history and politics. Are there any readings that could be recommended?

Yes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What I want to know is what the ndp were doing with that football defense maneuver. You can block a guy from speaking by standing in front of him? Is that some parliamentary rule or something?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Scaramouche posted:

What I want to know is what the ndp were doing with that football defense maneuver. You can block a guy from speaking by standing in front of him? Is that some parliamentary rule or something?

they stood in front of the guy so he couldnt get to his seat, in an effort to obstruct the government, both parties were complicit

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Don Cherry has a place on Wolfe Island and is apparently a Deacon or something at one of the churches over there, completely different person.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The conservatives are using it to fundraise for the record too

Well, gently caress. Thanks for reminding me that there are things I hate more than form over substance political drama queens and brainless HoC theater.

Doesn't matter. My monthly donation is staying cancelled. I will either donate it to charity or use it to give myself alcohol poisoning while poo poo posting on an Internet comedy forum. Better use either way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm just going to stop liking stuff on Facebook

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Facebook seems like an internet portal into hell and I still do not understand why so many people continue to use it.

imgur has all the cat gifs and youtube has all the cat videos, what else is there possibly to gain from the internet?

e: Oh yeah we need more NDP is shooting themselves in the foot anecdotes: not a single person I know supports the NDP running on this dumb angle. They still dislike Trudeau for trying to play hall monitor but since he was quick to apologize that seemed to be enough for most people to forget it. I wish it would go away but our politics is so boring normally that this is going to last until loving September. :suicide:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 22, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I don't even know why she's so upset about it. How many people get to say "yeah the PM elbowed me in the tit once". Like that would be my go to drinking story forever.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off Grapes

You read a thing he wrote and then let your brain turn those words back into thoughts, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for you right now.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

bunnyofdoom posted:

For the record, myself, Jordan7hm and flakeloaf had a good respectful informed discussion about canpol tonight and you can too if you live in Ottawa.

Ottawa goon meet or just canpol ottawa goonmeet

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

All that's missing is the relics of pIRA martyrs

This is truly breathtaking

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Ottawa goon meet or just canpol ottawa goonmeet

The latter. Craft is a cool bar, I like.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Facebook seems like an internet portal into hell and I still do not understand why so many people continue to use it.

imgur has all the cat gifs and youtube has all the cat videos, what else is there possibly to gain from the internet?

Facebook is a social network that I use to keep in touch with friends, organize events, etc. It's useful as poo poo. You just gotta learn how to avoid/filter your news feed.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Tom?

How are the NDP this bad at politics? This is their whole job. They have been doing it for their whole careers. I don't loving get it.

People are harassing REB and her family, calling her a dumb bitch feminazi oval office slut. Idk what kind of brain defect makes people think it's "bad at politics" to want to defend her from that bullshit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I've been making jokes about the situation since day one, but it is a little unnerving how quickly the "It's all Ruth Ellen Brousseau's fault" narrative caught fire. It feels like every tar sands caveman decided to vomit their opinions about "Bitch had it coming" on to the internet at once.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pixelante posted:

Okay, sure... doubling down is a thing you could do.

I'm sure she's getting some horrible abuse over this, and yeah, ok, let's condemn that, but the initial "issue" being so loving stupid in the first place makes people reluctant to stand up and defend her from the horrible and disproportionate reaction.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's not exactly a surprise to me that the people bitching the loudest about this online are the ones who want to constantly assert their incredible manliness while accusing a woman of faking pain and crying victim.

You'll also note it wasn't Brosseau who tried to turn it into this amazing masterstroke counter-attack on the liberals, that was all Tom (and Niki and Rona). All she did was get in the way of JT's elbow and say "yes it did in fact hurt"

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 22, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
And Jesus Christ, Tom, not everything needs to be god damned hashtag.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

It's not exactly a surprise to me that the people bitching the loudest about this online are the ones who want to constantly assert their incredible manliness while accusing a woman of faking pain and crying victim.

You'll also note it wasn't Brosseau who tried to turn it into this amazing masterstroke counter-attack on the liberals, that was all Tom (and Niki and Rona). All she did was get in the way of JT's elbow and say "yes it did in fact hurt"

Holy poo poo you are so loving dumb

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I will join a Vancouver goon meet, on the condition that CI do a dab with me in the spirit of chillaxing a bit.

The rest of you can have dabs too, of course. :tipshat:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

THC posted:

Please don't defend any of these idiot clowns, they all suck.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't recall ever defending CI and PT6A :confused:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

THC posted:

I don't recall ever defending CI and PT6A :confused:

Powerfully sick burn, bruv

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sweet zombie Jesus we really are going to be talking about this until September arent we?

This government is poised to gently caress up assisted suicide, voting reform, a chance to start moving our economy away from oil reliance, and (it would be criminal for me to not mention this for CI :v:) marijuana legalization and its all going to be ignored because our PM acted like a 12 year old and the other parties had to try to one up him on acting childish.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Lots of things hurt, and only some of them are worth complaining about. She doesn't seem to be making a huge deal out of it, which is good. What's not good is Tom Mulcair throwing a hissy fit over it and Niki Ashton rambling on about "safe spaces" like a crazy person.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

This government is poised to gently caress up assisted suicide, voting reform, a chance to start moving our economy away from oil reliance, and (it would be criminal for me to not mention this for CI :v:) marijuana legalization and its all going to be ignored because our PM acted like a 12 year old and the other parties had to try to one up him on acting childish.

Since the Supreme Court struck down the assisted dying laws, it will be de facto legal in February even if the government doesn't introduce a new law. Will be very interesting to see how the CMA deals with that and if any individual doctors actually do it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

jsoh posted:

they stood in front of the guy so he couldnt get to his seat, in an effort to obstruct the government, both parties were complicit
shouldn't this be a larger part of the story then? Or is it ok because Everyone Does It or sonething.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

shouldn't this be a larger part of the story then? Or is it ok because Everyone Does It or sonething.

As someone posted several pages ago, Trudeau didn't need the Conservative whip in the first place:

quote:

...a closer glance at House procedure reveals that the prime minister didn’t need to clear Brown’s path, and the whole thing could have been avoided if the chief government whip, Andrew Leslie, had just sat down.

Where was Brown trying to go?

Before a vote can begin in the House, the whips of the government and Official Opposition must enter together and walk up the centre aisle along their sides (which, incidentally, is why the NDP members weren’t blocking the aisle on the other side).

The whips bow towards the Speaker, then to each other before sitting down. But Brown couldn’t break through the NDP knot, leaving government whip Leslie standing alone at the front of the room wondering what was happening.

Rather than immediately taking his seat, Leslie went over to talk to his leader. It’s at that point that Trudeau stood up, strode across the chamber and reached for Brown.

It didn’t matter anyway

But here’s the thing: it turns out Brown didn’t need to be in his seat for the vote to start. The Speaker’s office confirmed on Thursday morning that only one of the whips needs to sit to trigger voting. If Leslie had sat down, even a wall of NDP MPs six feet high wouldn’t have mattered.

It’s unclear if the NDP members, Leslie, Brown, or even Trudeau knew this rule. NDP House leader Peter Julian certainly knew, however. He told reporters that when the NDP were the Official Opposition, “we tried to delay votes” using the same tactic, and were shut down by the one-whip rule.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
It's a lame tactic.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A wall of MPs six feet high is just a bunch of ordinary men standing in a line, yes?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

brucio posted:

It's a lame tactic.

It's a lame tactic which introduces physical obstruction into our safe spaces, and therefore everyone involved should be forced to confess their sins against feminism, before, of course, being burnt at the stake.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

I now have to go there some day because I'm dying at this:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Does this mean that the Prime Minister, the Government Whip and the former Opposition Leader don't understand House procedures?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Whiskey Sours posted:

Does this mean that the Prime Minister, the Government Whip and the former Opposition Leader don't understand House procedures?

Given the number of times the LPC have already almost lost a vote because they keep loving up quorum, probably.

This happened when the Cons first took over the House, so it's not entirely surprising, but jfc guys get a handle on your lobby director situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They should hire an autist to figure out these rules for them and also any train schedule they may need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Professor Shark posted:

Since #Elbowgate occurred I've heard nothing but negative things from the people around me... towards the NDP, specifically from women.

This must be getting traction somewhere, or else they'd stop doing it, right?

My facebook feed is split evenly between young bitter NDP supporters using this to take potshots at Trudeau, and old bitter Bloc supporters using this to take potshots at Trudeau.