Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
One of the biggest factors of matchmaking is the size of the player pool, and I imagine Clash has less people in queue at any given time compared to modes like Conquest and Arena.

People give HiRez a lot of poo poo about their matchmaking, and it's not great to be sure, but a lot of that really is sheer numbers. This isn't LoL or Dota2 we're talking about with tens if not hundreds of thousands of players to match against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Clash is loving great if you have friends who know how to play it safe and farm up hard in the early game. Less so with pubbies.

Its also fantastic with Susano. Plz never nerf Susano.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

dogstile posted:

Plz never nerf Susano.

According to smiteguru, he's sitting around 50% win rate when you factor in all games across all regions and platforms.

But when you look at the stats closer and factor in the win rate % of people who are more experienced with him (you eliminate the people who probably just wanted to master him, or you eliminate the people that insta-locked him over the free god weekend), he approaches 60%. Even Thor isn't sitting that high.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I know he's ridiculously overtuned. It's kind of funny seeing people who aren't good with mobile gods play him, because he is so, so goddamn bad if you can't dodge and move properly. People who can though, its ridiculous.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

^edit: Me playing He Bo and getting out damaged by a kinda tanky built Susan. He was dead more than me, got less kills, and somehow managed to do more damage...

I played him once and only once, confirmed that he was easy and unfair and haven't touched him since.

Something about being able to deal 50% of someones health in under a second and dash away at level 1 is kinda... not very hard.

coca bojangles fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 20, 2016

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Having effectively no downtime between teleporting to you, slapping you with at least two big chunks of damage, and dash away so fast that you can't actually see him traveling - making it more difficult to see where he went is really bullshit. They need to give each of his 1 attacks a short casting time or a short cooldown before using the next step at minimum.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

dogstile posted:

People who can though, its ridiculous.

This is a huge problem with him. The scaling and bloated kit aside, there's almost no counter-play with him. This is why

dogstile posted:

i'm winning most of my games with them and doing a shitton of damage, its mainly against people who aren't paying attention and aren't shutting me down.
happens.

His teleport is instant which means you can't block it; Awilix can't pull him out as opposed to being able to pull out Scylla and Hades. The fact that it resets to a 6s cooldown if you hit someone is ABSURD because that means you can use it to initiate AND get away.

It's launch Rat dash problems all over again.

edit-
People say walls counter him because he can't leap over, but he can actually teleport out of Odin cage; and Ymir/Cabrakan aren't enough to keep him locked down.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 20, 2016

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
He should only be able to teleport with his 3 if it hits an enemy, like Hun Batz, so he can only initiate with it and not escape

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

They need to add counter-play options to him, because right now there's almost nothing you can do to him besides heavy cripple and cc/focus, which is the counter to any god.

Make hard cc stop the 1 combo and put it on cooldown. Make his ult have a warm-up time similar to Ymir - the faster you deploy and shoot it, the less damage/cc it does. Have the 2's pull distance scale with how you level it - that way you force him to put points into it instead of it being a one point wonder. Remove the cooldown reduction off his 3 if you hit someone so you're forced to use it as an engage OR escape (not both).

There's plenty HiRez can do to tweak him, but knowing their track record, they'll probably nerf the wrong places over and over again (scaling, mana costs, cooldown) until they finally nerf the right spot (his hyper mobility and instant easy high damage poke), to the point of him being unviable; which causes him to be rekit *coughRATOTASKRcough*. Or they'll just keep him as-is or worse, buff him (the Ao Kuang treatment).

Hyper-mobile gods by design are not easy to balance. Either they're too slippery and deal too much damage (Serqet, Mercury in his prime, launch Rat), or they're are a non-factor and can be ignored (current Rat). I don't know what HiRez was thinking. Rush to launch a god to meet deadlines and tweak later I guess?

:psyduck:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What interrupts channeled abilities? I tried stunning Nox out of her dark lash thing that roots you forever, but she just keep channeling through it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hi all, just started playing this game the other day and am practicing on arena games.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but Athena isn't the best for this mode, right?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tirranek posted:

Hi all, just started playing this game the other day and am practicing on arena games.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but Athena isn't the best for this mode, right?

Global presence via her ult loses some of its luster on such a tiny map. That said, her taunt is one of the best cc abilities in the game and it alone makes her pretty great in any setting.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Shab posted:

Global presence via her ult loses some of its luster on such a tiny map. That said, her taunt is one of the best cc abilities in the game and it alone makes her pretty great in any setting.

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep practicing with her then because it feels like there will always be people filling the damage roles, and playing a tank is pretty fun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep practicing with her then because it feels like there will always be people filling the damage roles, and playing a tank is pretty fun.

I've found Geb and Ymir to be pretty useful tanks in Arena too. Ymir in particular shines with an Odin, Hades, Ares, or similar god who can keep enemies in range of his ult.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

What interrupts channeled abilities? I tried stunning Nox out of her dark lash thing that roots you forever, but she just keep channeling through it.

Most hard ccs: stuns, knockups, silences, mezes. What god were you playing?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

cyclonic posted:

Most hard ccs: stuns, knockups, silences, mezes. What god were you playing?

Ymir. I tried to frost breath her so a teammate could escape a gank. I hit the stun; Nox's model turned white. The attack somehow kept being channeled though; the beam continued through the stun, and my teammate stayed rooted.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips on landing Ra's ultimate? I've forgotten how narrow the hitbox is.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Nothing can stop Nox's channeling... not even death (sort of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdfROW4coQ&t=178s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS3_kTQjfZk&t=145s

I recommend watching all the "Smythbuster" episodes. Some neat stuff in there.

5 total:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjpQkvF9mwrceoyxpn8n5d4v7oLp6fD1N

Fake Edit: It's a bit difficult to link a YouTube playlist.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008

Knee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdfROW4coQ&t=178s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS3_kTQjfZk&t=145s

I recommend watching all the "Smythbuster" episodes. Some neat stuff in there.

5 total:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjpQkvF9mwrceoyxpn8n5d4v7oLp6fD1N

Fake Edit: It's a bit difficult to link a YouTube playlist.

These are really cool, Nox is a massive sleeper and someone in the SPL is going to wreck with her at some point and she will have her day in the meta(also Agni). Fenrir used to shred objectives in his ult, I don't remember when they changed it.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Knee posted:

Wow how about that. Nox more OP than I thought.

edit-
Speaking about Smythbusters, here's dash priority list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4k9h0v/cc_dash_priority_list_test_results/

Amaterasu's dash overrides everyone. Sobek > Herc, and surprisingly Merc > Herc?

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 21, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

So, does anyone know why Raijin has been getting banned so often in SPL games recently? Last I saw he had an extremely low winrate, and most people who picked him ended up getting blown up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
could be a case of the old dota invoker syndrome? for a long time he was banned in comp all the time, with like a 45% winrate, and ate huge nerfs: the secret was that he was banned out vs people who could play him really, really well and exploit the poo poo out of a broken rear end hero, and the bad winrate came from people who could not properly exploit the poo poo out of him picking him because he was "OP," but only if you were good with him.

I dunno if Raijin is that deep or complex enough to compare.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
Raijin checks all the boxes for what a lot of teams want in a mid mage. He has a leap/dash thing that can get out of rings and cant get Awilix ulted. He has good aoe damage, and he has an ult that can secure GF/FG and do a lot of damage/control from a safe distance. I think he will win more when people stop trying to make him this silly all in mage and try to set him up more.

Hitogeki
May 19, 2002

Minrad posted:

could be a case of the old dota invoker syndrome? for a long time he was banned in comp all the time, with like a 45% winrate, and ate huge nerfs: the secret was that he was banned out vs people who could play him really, really well and exploit the poo poo out of a broken rear end hero, and the bad winrate came from people who could not properly exploit the poo poo out of him picking him because he was "OP," but only if you were good with him.

I dunno if Raijin is that deep or complex enough to compare.

Not really all that complex at all, there are no characters at the level of Invoker. Closest I can think of are stance switchers like Ullr/Hel/Tyr, but none of them are really that complicated.

Raijin was prioritized too highly in picks early in the season, before they buffed his escape. Also way overvalued, id argue he still is.
All you needed to do before was hit him with a cc while he was casting his escape and he was screwed.
They then nerfed his movement speed in his ult and a tiny bit of his damage, then fixed his escape.
It was around that point that he fell out of popularity and people went to zeus/scylla/janus.

The one that shocks me is that nobody seems to be picking/banning Mercury, he was in a pretty good spot before and now with the new versions of wind demon, bloodforge and to a lesser extent golden bow, he could really dominate.
But for some reason, not a popular pick.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a way to see what characters are getting Rekit? Or have been? I am very sad to see that Arachne used to be fun as hell. Are they going to update gods like Anubis and AMC who were made before all the CC and thus have no escapes?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Kobuddy posted:

So, does anyone know why Raijin has been getting banned so often in SPL games recently? Last I saw he had an extremely low winrate, and most people who picked him ended up getting blown up.

Because of the absurd scaling in his kit, he can 100-0 someone late game. Watch the first Fnactic vs. Leftovers match: https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4kexwr/fnatic_vs_leftovers_eu_spl_season_3_spring_post/ - there's times where he just deletes people.

I think the problem is he's a new god, and he's suffering from instalock syndrome. People just want to lock him in but don't really know how to play him yet, and/or they don't build a comp around him (or even know how to yet). This was a problem when I used to play ranked Conquest - people would lock in top tier gods for the sake of them being top tier, never factoring in whether someone knew how to play that god or not.

Rhjamiz posted:

Is there a way to see what characters are getting Rekit? Or have been? I am very sad to see that Arachne used to be fun as hell. Are they going to update gods like Anubis and AMC who were made before all the CC and thus have no escapes?

Usually you need the community to keep complaining that a god is terrible, and then the match number/data have to actually show it (low pick rate, low win rate, low KDA numbers). And then eventually HiRez will hint at it.

Nothing's been said about any other gods. Anubis/AMC are probably not getting rekit because even though they have low mobility, they still do decent in other modes or with new players.

It's only a problem if a god is underperforming across the board (new players, veteran players, Conquest/Clash/Joust/etc).

For a history of gods that have been rekit, check out https://nemo.pythonanywhere.com/smite/ which archives all patch changes to gods (semi-regularly updated). The gods I remember getting rekit are Arachne, Cabrakan (slightly), Kali, Nox, Nu Wa, Odin, Ravana, Sun Wukong (becoming Hun Batz), Vulcan. To find out if a god has been rekit, click on a god, then on the top right corner there's a link "Release Stats/Reworks."

edit-
Also, Kukulkan's kit used to be Ao Kuang

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 22, 2016

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So I haven't played in forever, but I got reminded of this game and I recall it being fun. That said, can I get an invite to goon clan? (Lprsti99)

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

I'm playing Nox almost exclusively now and love her crowd control to death, but I'm beginning to wonder if I could be doing something more useful or effective than building magical power/penetration once I've maxed out CDR, or if I should even be focusing harder on power/penetration INSTEAD OF maxing out CDR. My typical Arena build (I don't bother with lane games because I rarely have enough friends to play with) has been Shoes of Focus -> Chronos' Pendant -> Pythagorem's Piece -> Obsidian Shard, followed by some combination of Spear of the Magus, Spear of Desolation, or Polynomicon. This gets me dropping silence circles and roots every 5 or 6 seconds and nearly always having my ultimate available to pick off a runner when the opportunity arises, and by the time I have every item can effectively pick off any mage I feel like from full health as long as their teammates aren't paying enough attention to intervene.

However, Spear of Desolation is an expensive damned item, and Polynomicon only really seems to shine if there are opponents consistently pushing in close. Could I be doing something I'm not considering with my last 3 item slots instead of filling out my power/penetration, such as getting nasty auras or on-hit effects like Void Stone or Gem of Isolation? Should I be trying to play damage from the very start with items like Book of Thoth / Warlock's Sash / Ethereal Staff?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

CDR is tough to cap without sacrificing stats somewhere now that it's spread out. If you really really want to get close to 40%, I'd say settle for CDR boots and Chronos Pendant at 30%, that way you can grab some of the higher power items. Also - don't bother with Magus if you're getting Shard - just Shard is enough.

I'd go CDR boots, Chronos, Soul Reaver, Obsidian as core items. Tahuti/Bancroft/Desolation as the other heavy hitting items, but you usually don't have a long enough game to get all 6 items in Arena, so I'd even try working Doom Orb in that build; Nox is slippery enough to get it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Flat pen can be more useful against squishes, and Nox root + Magus passive work pretty well together

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
nuRat seems pretty OP

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Calculated: Rat is OP so people forget about Susano. :shepface:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
How long is Viking event gonna last? Anyone know what the prize is on the final node?

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Is Zhong Kui worth trying even a little? I tried him in a co-op vs. AI arena and felt like he wasn't all I'd hoped but maybe if I got really practiced I could get into him. Is there a better choice for Nox-with-a-little-less-CC-in-exchange-for-area-damage?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Pimp Drakula posted:

Is Zhong Kui worth trying even a little? I tried him in a co-op vs. AI arena and felt like he wasn't all I'd hoped but maybe if I got really practiced I could get into him. Is there a better choice for Nox-with-a-little-less-CC-in-exchange-for-area-damage?

Scylla? Same sort of damage circle but with a slow instead of a silence and the opportunity to detonate, the same sort of root except at max it roots nearby enemies too and it doesn't stop you from attacking while you root dudes, a longer range (but no damage) movement ability, and an ult that can potentially do a heck of a lot more.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Turpitude posted:

How long is Viking event gonna last? Anyone know what the prize is on the final node?

https://www.smitegame.com/viking-invasion-faq/

It ends July 5th. Final reward is "upgraded" Chaac/Kali skins. Not sure if they're exclusive/limited or not.

Pimp Drakula posted:

ZK is more a bruiser DOT mage; he doesn't have much burst. If you're looking for more burst, try Poseidon; he has a big area cripple instead of a silence. If you get Gem of Iso it's SUPER loving annoying.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

cyclonic posted:

It ends July 5th. Final reward is "upgraded" Chaac/Kali skins. Not sure if they're exclusive/limited or not.

Limited. You get Einherjar Chaac and Valkalli Kali for buying into the event, your choice of Storm Jarl Chaac or Blood Jarl Kali depending on which quest you pick for your fifth quest, and then the other Jarl skin for finishing the last quest.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Blood Jarl Kali doesn't look at good as Valkalli Kali. Actually the default Kali skin from the Viking event looks like the best one she's ever had.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Holy poo poo SPL NA games are unpredictable alright.

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wow I just got home and watched the ~9 minutes of NV playing and what the flying gently caress :suspense:

• Locked thread