Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Amps are current, which is the amount of electricity that can flow through a wire. Basically. (An amp-hour is how much electricity is transferred over a 1 amp wire in an hour, which is quite different)

Volts are potential, so the amount of electricity a thing can release if there's a current.

Watts are work, how much power/force something can do.

Volts x amps=watts.

I am not an electrician or engineer, but that makes some sense to me anyway. I still don't know why phone batteries are measured in milliAmp hours, for instance, rather than watts.

Amperage is literally a measure of how many electrons per second are running through the cord. More electrons per second = faster charging. mAh are used for batteries because if you do some converting and multiplying you get coulombs. Think of it like your power bill, which is measured in kilowatt hours, which works out through conversion to be some number of Joules, a unit of energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't think I've ever once actually looked closely at a power bill. I look and I pay what they tell me, and optionally mutter to myself about the Las Vegas heat and lousy apartment insulation :v:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Joules (J) are the unit of energy, and the things you actually pay for. However, they are a bit unintuitive compared to the numbers on your household appliances, so what you pay for is usually listed as kiloWatt-hour (kWh). They are the exact same thing though. Watt is simply joule per second, so it is listed as "1000 watt appliance running for a full hour" or 1000 joule of energy consumed for a full hour. There are 3600 seconds in an hour and you use 1000 joule per second, so 3,600,000 joule go into one kWh.

And, as listed before;

Joule = watt * seconds

Watt = Ampere * voltage

Typically you plug your appliance to your power network, and based on its internal components and the voltage on your network it will drain a certain amount of ampere from your provider (voltage should be a fixed number). So your Watt and by extension your Joule use depends on how much ampere your thing drains.

If you connect to much poo poo and blow a fuse, that's because your appliances are draining too much amperes and you overloaded that specific fuse.

Now for some reason the phone industry doesn't work in either of these units, but in mAh (milliAmpere-hour). I'm not entirely sure why they leave out voltage, but I guess modern phones and poo poo have that all standardized? Anyway, it works with the same principle; if your phone needs 5000 mAh to be fully charged, it needs to be hooked for 5 hours to a charger that provides 1000 mA per hour.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Why haven't they invented 'remote' flight recorders yet? All that's being transmitted is voice and basic data so surely the bandwidth requirements wouldn't be extreme. I did hear that one of the recent flights that went down did so in some sort of black zone but surely these black zones are a problem that could easily be overcome - transmitting by satellite for example.

Just seems to be a fairly simple solution to retaining critical data that can be easily lost in something as extreme as a plane crash. They could even have the onboard flight recorder as a redundancy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can one adjust for the inherent negative bias in online reviews? We're looking at buying a new house, and the majority of the reviews for the builder (a national firm) are not positive. We'd like to be able to tell how much stock to put in the reviews.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

Why haven't they invented 'remote' flight recorders yet? All that's being transmitted is voice and basic data so surely the bandwidth requirements wouldn't be extreme. I did hear that one of the recent flights that went down did so in some sort of black zone but surely these black zones are a problem that could easily be overcome - transmitting by satellite for example.

Just seems to be a fairly simple solution to retaining critical data that can be easily lost in something as extreme as a plane crash. They could even have the onboard flight recorder as a redundancy.

There's really no excuse other than "it's too expensive!" Engine health data monitoring is dead simple and would require next to no bandwidth compared to in-flight wifi.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hooah posted:

How can one adjust for the inherent negative bias in online reviews? We're looking at buying a new house, and the majority of the reviews for the builder (a national firm) are not positive. We'd like to be able to tell how much stock to put in the reviews.

Usually by taking into account the general tone and content of the review and asking yourself if the complaints are valid or if you are reading someone who just likes to complain about petty things. There's not really any "system" for it beyond that, but you can usually tell if someone actually got hosed over somehow or if they just like to be a dick in reviews.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fuckpot posted:

http://www.wired.com/2011/06/ff_blackboxes/

A good read.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Look for commonalities among reviews. Does everyone say that they added hidden charges or made changes that weren't in the contract? Be wary.

I would probably disregard any comments about the job being behind schedule. It's construction. The schedule is there to make you feel better, and they're probably not going to meet it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fuckpot posted:

Many planes are equipped with systems that do constantly relay "black box" information, or which dump out the latest information every X minutes or so. The problem is, if whatever takes down the plane breaks the ability to use the radio/satellite link, you don't have any of that data after the communications are broken until you find the black box on the ground/in the sea anyway.

Separately, there are potentially expensive costs to retrofit older planes to also send out the black box data over their satellite/radio links, and it can be expensive to an airline to buy the necessary service plans with data link providers to handle all the data. So the biggest airlines are far more likely to do it than smaller/poorer airlines.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

hooah posted:

Read the negative reviews. A lot of people will leave negative reviews because they didn't pay attention to the original contract or had unrealistic expectations. If reviews are negative because "too expensive and didn't even want to work 18/h a day those lazy fuckers" ignore them. The ones that matter are stuff like "shoddy workmanship and went radio-silent after payment" or "there were a lot of 'hidden costs' and workers intimidated until we payed".

Always go with your gut too.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Namarrgon posted:

watts n whatnot

Thanks for this. I didn't ask the original question but I've always been confused about that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

Now for some reason the phone industry doesn't work in either of these units, but in mAh (milliAmpere-hour). I'm not entirely sure why they leave out voltage, but I guess modern phones and poo poo have that all standardized? Anyway, it works with the same principle; if your phone needs 5000 mAh to be fully charged, it needs to be hooked for 5 hours to a charger that provides 1000 mA per hour.
Phones work in amphours because they are operated by batteries, not by plugging into the wall. I.e your explanation on amps was spot-on, amphours is that amount of amps for an hour, and then the battery is dead. Milli is obviously 1/1000th of that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are realtors on a different quarter system than the rest of the world? The one we're working with told us that since it's getting towards the end of the month as well as the end of the quarter, builders might be willing to offer more incentives. Since when is May the last month of any quarter?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

photomikey posted:

Phones work in amphours because they are operated by batteries, not by plugging into the wall. I.e your explanation on amps was spot-on, amphours is that amount of amps for an hour, and then the battery is dead. Milli is obviously 1/1000th of that.

Er, no. Laptops also operate on batteries, but are rated in watthours (usually) instead. The primary reason we see use of milliamphours is that the batteries are almost always 3.7 volt nominal output across practically all phones and a lot of tablets and other small devices. But we usually use watthours for laptops because laptop batteries end up with many different voltages, e.g. I have one laptop with a 14.4 volt battery output, another with 11.1 volt battery, etc. But you can compare the relative energy between easily with watthours: the 11.1 volt battery totals to ~86.6 watthours with its 7800 mah@11.1 volt capacity. The 14.4 volt battery for the other one is ~58 watthours with its 4000 mah@14.4 volt capacity.

If you just compared the milliamp ratings, you'd think the the one battery held 1.95x the energy of the other, in reality it's more like 1.5x the energy. This is useful if you're trying to get a sense for battery capacity across brands/makes of laptop, and is similarly useful in other situations where voltages vary widely for similar products.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Does the Netflix app for Roku really not support profiles? I'm on version 3.1, build 6041, which as far as I can tell is the most recent release.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

What's with the sudden proliferation of $4 meals at fast food places?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Probably trying to undercut KFC's $5 meals.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

Are realtors on a different quarter system than the rest of the world? The one we're working with told us that since it's getting towards the end of the month as well as the end of the quarter, builders might be willing to offer more incentives. Since when is May the last month of any quarter?

From your description, it doesn't sound like he meant it that way.

"It's getting toward the end of the month (May). It's also getting toward the end of the quarter (which ends in June). "

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Prices are slowly rising on normal value meals, and so companies are throwing out these sops to mask that. Instead of looking at the menu and saying "Aww drat, a #4 is now eight bucks?" you look at the menu and say "Ooh, that's pretty cheap." Or if you do notice the increased price, instead of getting mad and walking out, you'll look at the lower-priced option and hopefully buy it instead.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

For what it's worth, my phone (galaxy s5) has watt-hours printed on the battery, not amp-hours.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

fishmech posted:

Er, no. Laptops also operate on batteries, but are rated in watthours (usually) instead. The primary reason we see use of milliamphours is that the batteries are almost always 3.7 volt nominal output across practically all phones and a lot of tablets and other small devices. But we usually use watthours for laptops because laptop batteries end up with many different voltages, e.g. I have one laptop with a 14.4 volt battery output, another with 11.1 volt battery, etc. But you can compare the relative energy between easily with watthours: the 11.1 volt battery totals to ~86.6 watthours with its 7800 mah@11.1 volt capacity. The 14.4 volt battery for the other one is ~58 watthours with its 4000 mah@14.4 volt capacity.

If you just compared the milliamp ratings, you'd think the the one battery held 1.95x the energy of the other, in reality it's more like 1.5x the energy. This is useful if you're trying to get a sense for battery capacity across brands/makes of laptop, and is similarly useful in other situations where voltages vary widely for similar products.
I get what you're saying here, but I have never seen a battery marked in watthours, they're all in mAh. I am exclusively a Mac guy, so I can't pop out my laptop battery, but my drill, my cameras, and my AA batteries are all mAh. Why it was done this way initially I have no idea, but I assume they continue to do it because you would be very unlikely to compare a 9V and a AA to see which had a greater watthour rating... as you'd already be committed to either 1.5V or 9V, and so you'd only compare in the batteries you could use to begin with.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

There's also the case of the manufacturer choosing one or the other based upon: the preference of the marketing guy, whatever makes the battery look better, or just because they felt like designing to a round number in one unit and not the other.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Prices are slowly rising on normal value meals, and so companies are throwing out these sops to mask that. Instead of looking at the menu and saying "Aww drat, a #4 is now eight bucks?" you look at the menu and say "Ooh, that's pretty cheap." Or if you do notice the increased price, instead of getting mad and walking out, you'll look at the lower-priced option and hopefully buy it instead.

Yeah i guess there's been a move toward more "premium" burgers up menu while the cost of dollar menu items has gone up. Still though, some of them come with a ton of food. The Wendy's version seems about right for the price but the Carl's jr/Hardee's and Jack in the Box versions seem like they should cost more. Hardee's has a double cheeseburger AND a chicken sandwich, while JITB has a jumbo Jack and two tacos. They all come with fries and a drink, but those two just seem like a ridulous amount of food for $4, especially when you consider JITB just raised the price of two tacos from $0.99 to $1.19. I don't know maybe the jumbo Jack is smaller than it used to be.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The two moneymakers are fries and a drink. Fries and a drink are expensive on the menu, but cost virtually jack poo poo to produce. Usually they get those dollars from people ordering value menus, but as those prices go up people are more likely to just purchase a burger from the value menu and carry it home where they already have a drink. By creating these cheap value meals they're getting those people, once again, to pay for fries and a drink.

Edit: Remember, as well, that biggest costs for restaurants are fixed costs. The price of the building, utilities, and paying employees. The food itself does not cost them much at all. So if they can get a customer to spend twice as much money as they normally would, even if it means giving that customer three times as much food, that almost always works out to a win. The key is trying to find a way to reel in customers for that deal, without losing any money from the customers you already had that were and are willing to pay your full price. If you get a customer that normally buys two $2 burgers, and he instead decides to purchase two $4 value meals, that's a win. If you have a customer that normally buys your $8 combo meal, and instead he goes for the $4 value meal, that's a big loss. It's a fine line to try and maximize profits. That's why these meals are made up of things off the value menu.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 22, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When it comes to TV and movie credits, do stars get more money when they get the "and..." credit?

Like a TV show that would list the stars followed by "And Mister Kingdom as Joe".

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

stubblyhead posted:

Does the Netflix app for Roku really not support profiles? I'm on version 3.1, build 6041, which as far as I can tell is the most recent release.
Older Rokus are stuck on an old version of the Netflix app that doesn't support profiles. The newer ones do, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

When it comes to TV and movie credits, do stars get more money when they get the "and..." credit?

Like a TV show that would list the stars followed by "And Mister Kingdom as Joe".

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Usually being credited that way is a compromise for not getting the top billing - the "and Bob as Whatever" style makes the name stand out in the list.

Actors get very picky about the orders they're credited/introduced in for prestige reasons.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want to paint some of my axe handles the way that Best Made Axe Co does theirs, only without paying $115 for it (:psyduck:). What kind of glossy paint would they use for their axe handles?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

They have instructions for DIY handles painted in their style on their blog.

http://www.bestmadeprojects.com/post/31471481659/step-by-step-axe-painting-tools-have-been

Edit: And since you seem confused by their price: Best Made axes are for hipsters. They're good tools, quality, but they're as much a fashion brand as a tool company. They're designed for the dude who has a man bun, a scraggly beard, wears flannel, and goes camping a few times a year, but proudly displays his axe in his metropolitan studio apartment at all times. You pay for the brand, not the tool. (They're still good tools, though, and seem like a quality company, even if their target demo is annoying.)

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

If the handle of your axe breaks and you replace it, then the head breaks and you replace THAT, is it still the same axe?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

If the handle of your axe breaks and you replace it, then the head breaks and you replace THAT, is it still the same axe?

Yes. Due to the fact that (almost) everything requires maintenance and is in some form of chemical equilibrium with it's environment on an atomic scale, intent is an important part of an object's metaphysical identity.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

gently caress you, Theseus.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

tuyop posted:

gently caress you, Theseus.

Thesues had the boat, David Wong had the axe! :pseudo:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

http://www.bestmadeprojects.com/post/31471481659/step-by-step-axe-painting-tools-have-been

Edit: And since you seem confused by their price: Best Made axes are for hipsters. They're good tools, quality, but they're as much a fashion brand as a tool company. They're designed for the dude who has a man bun, a scraggly beard, wears flannel, and goes camping a few times a year, but proudly displays his axe in his metropolitan studio apartment at all times. You pay for the brand, not the tool. (They're still good tools, though, and seem like a quality company, even if their target demo is annoying.)

Cool thanks

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Lol if you axe isn't made by some Scandinavian dude. I have spend a shameful amount of money on axes/hatches and have never heard of this brand, is my internet usage totally old man now? I felt like a dumb hipster for owning a GB small axe that I have only used for cutting down little gum trees, but now I am feeling much better.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have two USB adapters.

Adapter 1:

100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.3A(0,3A)
Output 5.0V = 1.8A (5,0V = 1,8A)

Adapter 2:

100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.15A(0,15A)
Output - 5.0V = 1.0A

Which adapter will charge my phone / accessories faster? I'm assuming Adapter 1.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

The rate at which your accessory charges is determined by the accessory. The amp rating of your charger just tells you how fast of a charging rate it can support without the charger overheating.

I think... :ohdear:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Tin Gang posted:

The rate at which your accessory charges is determined by the accessory. The amp rating of your charger just tells you how fast of a charging rate it can support without the charger overheating.

I think... :ohdear:

More or less. Having an adapter that can supply 2 A is great, but pointless if the appliance refuses to draw more than 1 A. Your phone can probably draw more than 1 A though, so I'd put my money on Adapter 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Busy Bee posted:

I have two USB adapters.

Adapter 1:

100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.3A(0,3A)
Output 5.0V = 1.8A (5,0V = 1,8A)

Adapter 2:

100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.15A(0,15A)
Output - 5.0V = 1.0A

Which adapter will charge my phone / accessories faster? I'm assuming Adapter 1.

Adapter 1 will do it faster, unless the device requires special signaling to be present, in which case adapter 2 might do it.