Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, the new Star Trek is pretty progressive. I mean, they have John Cho as the pilot. They never even show the Enterprise with its blinkers on for the whole movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

They just don't have Asians at all unless they're inscrutable, computer nerds, organised crime, martial artists or sex objects.

That's not true but I greatly prefer hearing that over yet another creepy mouth-breathing diatribe from dudes justifying their fixation on asian dudes kissing white women as some kind of social justice thing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Guy Mann posted:

That's not true but I greatly prefer hearing that over yet another creepy mouth-breathing diatribe from dudes justifying their fixation on asian dudes kissing white women as some kind of social justice thing.

Are you calling for fewer asian/white interracial relationships on TV? Because that's such a problem now?

Like you live in some world where people are constantly trying to shove asian/white relationships down your throat in media

What

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hey, the new Star Trek is pretty progressive. I mean, they have John Cho as the pilot. They never even show the Enterprise with its blinkers on for the whole movie.

And then they gave him a space katana.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RagnarokAngel posted:

And then they gave him a space katana.

Which is a reference to an episode with sulu and a sword.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are there a lot of white dudes in Asian cinema or on TV?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is a reference to an episode with sulu and a sword.

Yes, a rapier, because George Takei refused to use a katana because of the racist stereotype.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Are there a lot of white dudes in Asian cinema or on TV?

In China they rent white dudes to make their companies seem better.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yes, a rapier, because George Takei refused to use a katana because of the racist stereotype.

There's also another layer of it because John Cho is Korean.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sticklefifer posted:

There's also another layer of it because John Cho is Korean.

Actually, he's Finnish. The entire concept of "Korea" was actually invented by the media as part of a marketing campaign for a failed sitcom. Nobody remembers the sitcom, but in an ironic twist, everyone remembers the fictional country made to market it!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Actually, he's Finnish. The entire concept of "Korea" was actually invented by the media as part of a marketing campaign for a failed sitcom. Nobody remembers the sitcom, but in an ironic twist, everyone remembers the fictional country made to market it!

I'm pretty sure everyone remembers After M*A*S*H, dude.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

Kim Jong Un is the star of a real world Truman Show? That...actually makes a lot of sense.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but the "I thought Christmas came only once a year :smug:" line almost made up for it.

I actually own a copy of the original script (signed by Brosnan because why NOT have him sign a copy of The World Is Not Enough of all of his movies) and the line actually used to be worse:

CHRISTMAS: You know James. . . I think Christmas is coming early this year.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Screaming Idiot posted:

Actually, the entirety of south-east Asia only exists as Finnish memes.

Here's a "Japanese" example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPIPy8sqvHU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yeah but he tries to start the warp drive with the parking brake on.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

:vince:

Brosnan really got the shittiest scripts. Goldeneye was fantastic, everything else was a pile of turds.

Well, that's because Goldeneye was written for Timothy Dalton.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A bit late, but I recently watched Hotel Transylvania 2 and the ending bothered me irritatingly so.
So the whole conceit of the movie is that Dracula now has a grandson and he loves him, but the kid hasn't displayed any signs of being a vampire, and he has until age 5 to show said signs or that means he's just a regular human. The entire movie is Dracula's attempts to force his grandkid to develop any type of vampirism.
Additionally, Dracula's daughter and her husband have decided to raise their kid somewhere else other than loving spooky Transylvania, and Dracula doesn't want that so that's another factor as to why he wants the kid to be a vampire.
So there's this bit with Dracula's dad and how he hates humans so much and how him and Dracula butt heads over their philosophies and Dracula realizes that he will love his grandkid no matter what he is and Mel Brooks does a fantastic grampa Dracula.
But who cares because the kid grows fangs and silly anime vampire powers and Dracula's daughter stays at Transylvania forever and instead of the movie and characters having a nice arc of loving your family no matter what they are and how holding them up to unrealistic expectations is unfair and also that sometimes you have to let go, Dracula gets all he wants at the end and dance party and snore.

The movie itself is good, the jokes are funny, and the animation has tons of personality and is still unsurpassed in that respect as far as I know but man, what a wasted opportunity.

Calaveron has a new favorite as of 20:49 on May 22, 2016

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You meant Mel Brooks.

Your IIMM, however, is 100% true and not irrational at all.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Don't forget the heartwarming message of the first movie. "Fall in love with someone you don't even know? You'd better marry them immediately, or else you're gonna be lonely forever. And if you lose that person, well, you're still gonna be lonely forever. You only get one zing."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

These Adam Sandler films have bad messages? What the hell!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EmmyOk posted:

These Adam Sandler films have bad messages? What the hell!

He's just a voice though and didn't write it or anything.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The screenplay was by people who have worked with him plenty of times before and it has cast most of the Sandler pals.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

A bit late, but I recently watched Hotel Transylvania 2 and the ending bothered me irritatingly so.
So the whole conceit of the movie is that Dracula now has a grandson and he loves him, but the kid hasn't displayed any signs of being a vampire, and he has until age 5 to show said signs or that means he's just a regular human. The entire movie is Dracula's attempts to force his grandkid to develop any type of vampirism.
Additionally, Dracula's daughter and her husband have decided to raise their kid somewhere else other than loving spooky Transylvania, and Dracula doesn't want that so that's another factor as to why he wants the kid to be a vampire.
So there's this bit with Dracula's dad and how he hates humans so much and how him and Dracula butt heads over their philosophies and Dracula realizes that he will love his grandkid no matter what he is and Mel Brooks does a fantastic grampa Dracula.
But who cares because the kid grows fangs and silly anime vampire powers and Dracula's daughter stays at Transylvania forever and instead of the movie and characters having a nice arc of loving your family no matter what they are and how holding them up to unrealistic expectations is unfair and also that sometimes you have to let go, Dracula gets all he wants at the end and dance party and snore.

The movie itself is good, the jokes are funny, and the animation has tons of personality and is still unsurpassed in that respect as far as I know but man, what a wasted opportunity.

So the writers went to a more realistic and true to life story: sometimes poo poo just doesn't/does work out. It all depends on perspective.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Guy Mann posted:

You keep bringing this up, but you're the only person who seems to think this is an actual thing that happens.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have a 2.5 year old son so I have seen Cars 1 and 2 roughly 5000 times each, and each viewing leaves me with more questions.

How does this imaginary world lf sapient vehicles work??? How did it loving start? Is Cars an argument for intelligent design? Do the cars reproduce by building a new car and if so why would anyone condemn their ungodly spawn to a lifetime of being a tiny forklift?

A major plot point in Cars 2 is about oil. How does oil even exist? Do the cars turn into oil that the other cars then consume? In Cars 1 they make a point of showing you that even insects are hosed up tiny cars with wings and feelers so is everything related?

My son also recently discovered the films Planes 1 and 2 which left me with other questions: the main character (a lovely propeller plane) dreams of becoming a fighter jet doing high speed low drag poo poo, but this could never happen. Because he was unlucky enough to be born into a lovely life as a crop duster. This is some bleak rear end poo poo. And then in the second one a major plot point is the planes loving gearbox ia broken and NO ONE MAKES THAT PARTICULAR KIND OF GEARBOX ANY LONGER. What the gently caress this is slme dystopian death panel poo poo in a retarded movie for kids.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
EDIT: Actually, this post was a little douchey, so I rescind it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Biplane posted:

How does this imaginary world lf sapient vehicles work??? How did it loving start? Is Cars an argument for intelligent design?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Biplane posted:

I have a 2.5 year old son so I have seen Cars 1 and 2 roughly 5000 times each, and each viewing leaves me with more questions.

How does this imaginary world lf sapient vehicles work??? How did it loving start? Is Cars an argument for intelligent design? Do the cars reproduce by building a new car and if so why would anyone condemn their ungodly spawn to a lifetime of being a tiny forklift?

A major plot point in Cars 2 is about oil. How does oil even exist? Do the cars turn into oil that the other cars then consume? In Cars 1 they make a point of showing you that even insects are hosed up tiny cars with wings and feelers so is everything related?

My son also recently discovered the films Planes 1 and 2 which left me with other questions: the main character (a lovely propeller plane) dreams of becoming a fighter jet doing high speed low drag poo poo, but this could never happen. Because he was unlucky enough to be born into a lovely life as a crop duster. This is some bleak rear end poo poo. And then in the second one a major plot point is the planes loving gearbox ia broken and NO ONE MAKES THAT PARTICULAR KIND OF GEARBOX ANY LONGER. What the gently caress this is slme dystopian death panel poo poo in a retarded movie for kids.

Fossil fuels are mostly made of plant matter, the Cars world still has plants so oil can still be a thing. But considering every non-plant is apparently a car of some kind the amount of oil they go through must be loving HUGE and they better get to work on battery and nuclear technology or else they're fuuuuuucked.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Screaming Idiot posted:

EDIT: Actually, this post was a little douchey, so I rescind it.

i hope it was basically "AND HOW THE gently caress DO MERPEOPLE BREED, ANYWAY"

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

The screenplay was by people who have worked with him plenty of times before and it has cast most of the Sandler pals.

The Hotel Transylvania films are surprisingly tolerable for Adam Sandler films but the strangest thing to me about HT2 is that they introduce a whole new villain and conflict with only about 15 minutes left in the movie because I guess they decided they needed a big action set piece.

When the main antagonist of your film doesn't show up until 85% of the way in you might want to revisit the screenplay.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Biplane posted:

I was gonna say "no one makes that kind of gearbox anymore" makes no sense given that these vehicles are sentient beings, but then I thought about it a little more, and it's kind of comparable to a human who needs a donated kidney or something, but just can't find a suitable donor.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Patattack posted:

I was gonna say "no one makes that kind of gearbox anymore" makes no sense given that these vehicles are sentient beings, but then I thought about it a little more, and it's kind of comparable to a human who needs a donated kidney or something, but just can't find a suitable donor.

Right but unlike the gearbox we can't construct a kidney from scratch. But they clearly have the ability to make a new gearbox but have apparently decided to never do it again, condemning untold individuals to a completely preventable death.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Biplane posted:

Right but unlike the gearbox we can't construct a kidney from scratch. But they clearly have the ability to make a new gearbox but have apparently decided to never do it again, condemning untold individuals to a completely preventable death.

Fair enough. But that leads to another question - can these cars die a "natural" death? Old age and whatnot? I would think not, since they're mechanical...So perhaps it's necessary to stop repairing older vehicles in order to prevent overpopulation.

(I have never seen these movies.)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Patattack posted:

Fair enough. But that leads to another question - can these cars die a "natural" death? Old age and whatnot? I would think not, since they're mechanical...So perhaps it's necessary to stop repairing older vehicles in order to prevent overpopulation.

(I have never seen these movies.)

Well, one of the cars from Cars 1 apparently dies of old age between it and Cars 2, but whether or not it was due to something else (gearbox... :colbert: ), we aren't told. But theres another character in Cars 1 who is like a rickety old oldsmobile who, as far as I can tell, was built old? What the gently caress these movies are ruining me :psyduck:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Biplane posted:

Well, one of the cars from Cars 1 apparently dies of old age between it and Cars 2

Was it Doc Hudson? Paul Newman got real busy not being alive between the two films, so they had to find a way to explain why his character wasn't in the sequel

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Was it Doc Hudson? Paul Newman got real busy not being alive between the two films, so they had to find a way to explain why his character wasn't in the sequel

Yeah it was Doc Hudson. That makes a lot of sense from a real life perspective at least.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
How would the cars/planes even get repaired? THEY DON'T HAVE loving HANDS.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Biplane posted:

Well, one of the cars from Cars 1 apparently dies of old age between it and Cars 2, but whether or not it was due to something else (gearbox... :colbert: ), we aren't told. But theres another character in Cars 1 who is like a rickety old oldsmobile who, as far as I can tell, was built old? What the gently caress these movies are ruining me :psyduck:

It's like Tinny Tim and Orphanbot from futurama

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tunicate posted:

It's like Tinny Tim and Orphanbot from futurama

How does Hedonismbot afford all of his extravagant stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The noises that loving iPad was making in Preacher drove me up the wall.