Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cygni posted:

first train to Santa Monica since 1953

extremely syck

That train looks like it's from 1953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pointsofdata posted:

That train looks like it's from 1953

close, but from 87-88

heres what the (loving ugly) trains that ran to santa monica actually looked like in 1953

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

close, but from 87-88

heres what the (loving ugly) trains that ran to santa monica actually looked like in 1953

that train loving owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cygni posted:

first train to Santa Monica since 1953

extremely syck

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
TO THE GULAGS, WEST SIDER SCUM!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm on a train rn

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I'm on a train rn

how fast does it go. does anyone have a bicycle on it. is it for poors or not

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i take the gold line to go from pasadena to hollywood and even DTLA. it's cool and good, although pretty crowded which I thought was p. cool also.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LA's investment in transit is cool + good

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so the mayor of Boston is trying out a car ban on the soho boutique style street in Boston for one day this summer and I can't wait to hear the bawling from all the moron henrys and their land rovers and audis bitching about not being able to park in front of Burberry or soul cycle

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grandmaster.flv posted:

so the mayor of Boston is trying out a car ban on the soho boutique style street in Boston for one day this summer and I can't wait to hear the bawling from all the moron henrys and their land rovers and audis bitching about not being able to park in front of Burberry or soul cycle

sounds about right. our ones claim cycle lanes and reduced road access through parks will cause more pollution

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also whoever said Boston isn't a bikeable city is a moron. Boston is probably one of the most bikeable major metros because of how dense the city is built. you can be end to end in 45 minutes on a bike. poo poo I live in east Boston, on the Atlantic Ocean and I can still probably get two towns out of Boston in any direction in an hour

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Grandmaster.flv posted:

also whoever said Boston isn't a bikeable city is a moron. Boston is probably one of the most bikeable major metros because of how dense the city is built. you can be end to end in 45 minutes on a bike. poo poo I live in east Boston, on the Atlantic Ocean and I can still probably get two towns out of Boston in any direction in an hour

Biking in New England owns because everything is so close together, and you don't have to go very far to be in some nice countryside. Hell, the whole eastern seaboard down to North Carolina is heaven compared to Texas, which is where I did most of my rides for years.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2016/04/25/bike-bus-offers-ride-that-will-leave-you-spinning/PGDCh4rvPG8Mz81Ve1u7FK/story.html

boston is the most bikeable city because there's even buses that put the bikes as stationary exercise equipment inside the vehicle.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
unfortunately not just a boston thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I had not heard about a Newbury car ban but that would be loving amazing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

boston sucks to cycle in because the road conditions are atrocious and traffic volume is absolutely insane

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

shits not far but you'll be dead or have a flat before you get there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

boston sucks

ftfy

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Bloody posted:

boston sucks to cycle in because the road conditions are atrocious and traffic volume is absolutely insane

dont be a wuss. cycling means you don't have to deal with traffic and if you keep getting flats get better tires. I get what you mean but it's just a learning curve. if you can handle Boston/NYC streets on the daily you can basically bike any other city just off that core skillset

source: I bike Boston/Camberville as a job

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

do u deliver packages or do u do workout coaching or what

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

dont be a wuss. cycling means you don't have to deal with traffic and if you keep getting flats get better tires. I get what you mean but it's just a learning curve. if you can handle Boston/NYC streets on the daily you can basically bike any other city just off that core skillset

source: I bike Boston/Camberville as a job

nah this city is trash for biking in, sorry about your terrible job

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and cycling in boston is literally 100% dealing with traffic. it is 100% try not to get murdered by terrible taxis buses trucks and assholes in bmws

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like yeah camberville its not too bad but in downtown literally you get murdered

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Bloody posted:

and cycling in boston is literally 100% dealing with traffic. it is 100% try not to get murdered by terrible taxis buses trucks and assholes in bmws

that's everywhere with cars. somebody on the pos posted a video of a guy on a bike getting owned by a guy on a motorcycle in some canyon in the middle of nowhere

there's cars trying to kill you no matter where you go. at least Boston is putting more protected cycle tracks though for people like you who are understandably skittish about dealing with traffic.

I totally get what you're saying though. once you bike in traffic regularly it kind of goes away. I mean you're always hyper vigilant but it's not nearly as stressful. you still have the same random chance of death but you at least learn better ways of anticipating death

uh I deliver farmshare/csa goods via bike and on some days I do recycling pickup for the city of Cambridge via bike.

this is my whip

pre trash that bike weighs 400lbs by itself. my high score is 500lbs of recycling on it according to the scale at the recycling center. let me tell you you haven't lived until you've tried to take that loving tank on a 40mph rd.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 22, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bloody is exceedingly right and you must have hailed Satan on a serious level to still be alive, forums poster grandmaster.flv

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

so you run a trash rickshaw

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Triglav posted:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Triglav posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Triglav posted:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

drat right I do and it's going to be a loving AMAZING thesis on sustainability for me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grandmaster.flv posted:

drat right I do and it's going to be a loving AMAZING thesis on sustainability for me

something which is only going to be done by young, fit, aggressive men doesn't seem very sustainable to be.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I see old Chinese men pushing the same amount of cans on regular rear end mountain bikes all the time it they can do it so can a fat out of shape computer toucher

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm seriously impressed these old dudes have to make at least a Hundo a day in can returns

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

triple post: the other part of my thesis is about low income work and how cycling and public transit is the backbone of that class and how better cycle infrastructure lets browns and darks get to their lovely underpaying job more efficiently

it's basically about class warfare through biking

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grandmaster.flv posted:

triple post: the other part of my thesis is about low income work and how cycling and public transit is the backbone of that class and how better cycle infrastructure lets browns and darks get to their lovely underpaying job more efficiently

cycling's relationship to class seems to vary a lot from city to city. for example, now that cycling to work is popular with urban middle class people in london we are finally getting some good infrastructure, which is making it more accessible for everyone.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

well yeah infrastructure comes from rich white people who have time to lobby for it. working class people don't have time to push for it but they're actually impacted far more by safety measures

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

that's everywhere with cars. somebody on the pos posted a video of a guy on a bike getting owned by a guy on a motorcycle in some canyon in the middle of nowhere

there's cars trying to kill you no matter where you go. at least Boston is putting more protected cycle tracks though for people like you who are understandably skittish about dealing with traffic.

I totally get what you're saying though. once you bike in traffic regularly it kind of goes away. I mean you're always hyper vigilant but it's not nearly as stressful. you still have the same random chance of death but you at least learn better ways of anticipating death

uh I deliver farmshare/csa goods via bike and on some days I do recycling pickup for the city of Cambridge via bike.

this is my whip

pre trash that bike weighs 400lbs by itself. my high score is 500lbs of recycling on it according to the scale at the recycling center. let me tell you you haven't lived until you've tried to take that loving tank on a 40mph rd.

hahaha this bike fuckin owns

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grandmaster.flv posted:

cycle infrastructure lets browns and darks get to their lovely underpaying job more efficiently

shaggar was white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adix posted:

shaggar was white

• Locked thread