Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

has anyone made a modified skse dll for skyrim crash fixes yet?
http://pastebin.com/1f7ZVx4V
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/?

the author is doing the right/dumb thing and waiting on a response from the SKSE team before releasing a modified SKSE dll. You need VS 2008 and I only have 2015 and don't want to mess up my pretty environment please link to dl I beg you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In Mod Organizer, is it generally a good idea to say yes to unpacking .BSAs when prompted, as long as the mod page doesn't explicitly tell you not to?

I've read arguments both for and against doing so, so I'm not all that sure what I should be doing.

Weirdly enough I've both heard claims that:

1. Unpacking .BSAs will lessen load times because with .BSAs the game has to load the entire BSA no matter whether all the files in it are used or not. However, with loose files, the game only has to load in the files that haven't gotten overwritten by another mod further down your load order.

2. Unpacking .BSAs will increase load times because loose files take up more space, or something in that vein.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
gently caress. Picked "robbed and left for dead" as start in LAL, it dumped me in the middle of nowhere, Solstheim. And I forgot to make a save after I had sorted out all the settings in MCM. :negative: Think I might just cheat some gold so I can at least take the boat back to the mainland because enemies on Solstheim wreck my unarmed/unarmored rear end, especially with Deadly Combat.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Foxhound posted:

gently caress. Picked "robbed and left for dead" as start in LAL, it dumped me in the middle of nowhere, Solstheim. And I forgot to make a save after I had sorted out all the settings in MCM. :negative: Think I might just cheat some gold so I can at least take the boat back to the mainland because enemies on Solstheim wreck my unarmed/unarmored rear end, especially with Deadly Combat.

If you want another fun start, try the "Shipwrecked" one with Frostfall active.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there a decent unarmed mod that doesn't add a while lot of monk etc bs?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

If you want another fun start, try the "Shipwrecked" one with Frostfall active.

That one kicked my rear end so hard

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Refugee from Morrowind" is another good, tough one if you steal from the starting building in Windhelm.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I finally installed Holds of Skyrim to check it out, thinking oh wow this is the town overhaul everyone got excited for. I heard falkreath was the real good one.

First of all I didn't know the guy only did like 3 cities, which sucks, I also didn't know he'd turn Falkreath into a low effort shanty town with copy/paste wooden structures.

3/10 what were you thinking dude?????

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Mortimer posted:

I finally installed Holds of Skyrim to check it out, thinking oh wow this is the town overhaul everyone got excited for. I heard falkreath was the real good one.

First of all I didn't know the guy only did like 3 cities, which sucks, I also didn't know he'd turn Falkreath into a low effort shanty town with copy/paste wooden structures.

3/10 what were you thinking dude?????

Are you sure you got the right mod?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Singing Sunflower posted:

Are you sure you got the right mod?

I think they did.

Of course, those are the worst offenders I could find on the mod page

There certainly are some better looking areas, as shown below, but they don't really make up for the immense boxitude of the rest of the mod, at least not for me.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

There certainly are some better looking areas, as shown below, but they don't really make up for the immense boxitude of the rest of the mod, at least not for me.

Fair enough on the boxiness and rough angles, but I think that still looks preferrable over the depressingly bland vanilla settlements which are devoid of any soul or vision.

Now that said, I've only tested that mod very briefly myself, and don't even have the game installed at the moment, so it could be terrible for all I know. :shrug:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Looks like a steaming turd. Use Expanded Towns and Cities instead.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Falkreath and Dawnstar were two of the most bland places in all of Skyrim. They only seemed light slightly bigger Riverwoods, with a whole lot less personality. I never went to Falkreath on purpose. Sure there were an entire two quests that I did there, both for Daedric artifacts.
The only thing that Falkreath and Dawnstar had were they were both close to the Dark Brotherhood areas.

Riften was Thieves Guild. Whiterun was Companions. Winterhold was College of Winterhold. Solitude was Imperial Legion. Windhelm was Stormcloaks. Markarth had really neat architecture.
Falkreath was basically the closest place to the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary. Dawnstar was just there, I guess. Now Morthal, that place is completely unmemorable. I don't think of a single time I ever went to Morthal to explore it. It just has absolutely no charm whatsoever. The modder of Holds didn't even touch it, when it's so boring.

The JK series of city overhauls don't add any new NPCs, but they really touch up on the look of the holds by default. It's much more lightweight and is compatible with much more. The only problem with it is his screenshots are using some really weird ENB filter so it looks way way too bright.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Morthal has one of the only non-Dawnguard vampire lairs, that you have to clean out to be able to buy a plot of land. Dawnstar has the museum to the Mythic Dawn (which leads to the Mehrunes Dagob quest) and the hook for the Vaermina Daedric quest. That's about it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Average Bear posted:

Looks like a steaming turd. Use Expanded Towns and Cities instead.

Totally agreed on this. I thought Holds looked interesting at first, but after looking at screenshots/videos I was really put off by the lack of architectural details or even interesting clutter in the new cities. The blocky buildings look horrible. It's no good for towns to be bigger just for the sake of being bigger, when they just look lovely. Expanded Towns and Cities really does it right. The only downside is that you need like 6 plugins for it.

Another one that looks actually pretty good is "The People of Skyrim" which actually overhauls places, not people. What it does is, instead of adding onto existing towns, it adds more inhabited areas to the game, like a little fishing village on the coast below Winterhold for example. It looks great and says it's compatible with a ton of other mods, but when I looked at the files page I saw it actually has PATCHES for a ton of other mods, and I decided I really didn't want to add ten more plugins on top of ETaC...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Does the open cities mod that puts the major cities on the overworld work well without needing a pile of patches and plugins? The comments on nexus seem divided on this point.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Totally agreed on this. I thought Holds looked interesting at first, but after looking at screenshots/videos I was really put off by the lack of architectural details or even interesting clutter in the new cities. The blocky buildings look horrible. It's no good for towns to be bigger just for the sake of being bigger, when they just look lovely. Expanded Towns and Cities really does it right. The only downside is that you need like 6 plugins for it.

Another one that looks actually pretty good is "The People of Skyrim" which actually overhauls places, not people. What it does is, instead of adding onto existing towns, it adds more inhabited areas to the game, like a little fishing village on the coast below Winterhold for example. It looks great and says it's compatible with a ton of other mods, but when I looked at the files page I saw it actually has PATCHES for a ton of other mods, and I decided I really didn't want to add ten more plugins on top of ETaC...

I suppose you could merge the patches to keep the plugin count low-ish, but I'd imagine that would be a bit of a pain to deal with, especially whenever updates came out and such.

Then there are all the incompatible mods that should have a patch, but doesn't actually have one. And you don't necessarily know which mods that is.

Yeah, I can see why you decided to skip it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does the open cities mod that puts the major cities on the overworld work well without needing a pile of patches and plugins? The comments on nexus seem divided on this point.

It's actually one of the least conflicting mods out there, to the point where it's even backwards-compatible with Oblivion!

These are lies.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 21, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does the open cities mod that puts the major cities on the overworld work well without needing a pile of patches and plugins?
Open Cities works itself fine for me. Though you will need to activate the memory tweak incorporated into SKSE if you haven't done so already. Also I would not recommend adding it to an ongoing playthrough without making a save that you can revert back to. Arthmoor added a way for the NPCs to move from the original cities' cells to the new ones, but in my experience that can glitch out and you can end up with some missing NPCs here and there. Starting a new game with OC installed should not have that problem.

As for it needing a pile of patches or not: That depends on what other mods you're using. Any mod that affects the cells of the major cities and gameworld directly around them will probably need an extra patch plugin. Stuff like texture & mesh replacers will work fine.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 21, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Be glad that Arthmoor listened to reason and removed the drat oblivion gates from Open Cities.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Be glad that Arthmoor listened to reason and removed the drat oblivion gates from Open Cities.

He did? I still see them on the images on nexus.

I'm gonna recommend something I never thought I would: a nexus follower.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40960/

He's actually very well voice acted and has comments for literally everything you can do in the game (not annoyingly). Doesn't have stuff for DG and DB, but its an older mod. Stay away from all follower mods but this one.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Average Bear posted:

He did? I still see them on the images on nexus
Arthmoor added a SkyUI menu where you can disable them. Same for the gate attendants he added.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 21, 2016

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is deadly dragons actually any good? Seems like it turns them into HP sponges and not much else

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Average Bear posted:

He did? I still see them on the images on nexus.

I'm gonna recommend something I never thought I would: a nexus follower.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40960/

He's actually very well voice acted and has comments for literally everything you can do in the game (not annoyingly). Doesn't have stuff for DG and DB, but its an older mod. Stay away from all follower mods but this one.

I've actually played with several follower mods lately, I should do an effortpost about them when I get home Monday. But the short version is Inigo is the only really good one.

e: there are only I think 5 follower mods that are semi-complete, besides that it's just a sea of waifu

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Inigo is the best follower on the Nexus.

Vilja is also a good follower, but is much more script heavy. She talks way too much by default, but she has good interactions with Inigo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vilja is certainly the most ambitious follower mod, but it's not for everyone (it can be played without the sappy romance story but it's clearly designed around it, and if you don't like long fetch quests you won't like Vilja).

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I still think the best follower on the Nexus is Rumarin from Interesting NPC's. If that whole mod was just him it would still be worth using.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

LOOT just updated to 0.9.0

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I still think the best follower on the Nexus is Rumarin from Interesting NPC's. If that whole mod was just him it would still be worth using.

He's definitely one of my favorite companions. I also like Dagri'Lon(?) that you find in the ratways when you're going to get Esbern.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I'm pretty dumb and have barely managed to set up mod organiser and cleaned DLC patches. STEP is horribly out of date in places and seems to rely on 15 minute videos to explain what should be 5 bullet points of actions. My past several attempts at coming up with a stable load order have fallen apart into near-constant crashing by the time I've got the first dragonstone.

Does anyone have a stable, complete, mod order that covers a bunch of the following points? Preferably with version notes so I can hunt the right ones down on the nexus (I've no problem getting old versions of mods but nobody ever seems to specify which one they're using)

I'm looking for something that affects the gameplay a little, but mostly stuff that renovates the graphics and fine-tunes the base game:
  • SPERG, or Ordinator, or both (the SPERG-Ordinator recommended modlist seems broken as gently caress)
  • Graphical updates - Mesh improvements/SMIM, hairs, better faces / bodies, new armours and weapons
  • Interesting NPCs - Seems like it could be cool, so this with Hott Interesting NPCs and Bjin might cover a lot of the non-SMIM stuff above
  • Enhanced follower support - Because I'm probably going to end up with more than one given the above, but preferably as lightweight as possible to make sure it plays well with everything else
  • Living world stuff - OBIS and Immersive Patrols probably cover this? Especially with OBIS patches to allow the new bandits to use custom hair
  • Various small patches - better stealing, guard dialogue overhauls, realistic forces(?), quality map, alternative starts
  • New magic would be cool as well, but I'm probably going to play an archer instead
  • Maybe extra quests like Falskaar?
  • Maybe a 305 enb?

Stuff like Climates of Tamriel and Frostfall I'm ambivalent to - CoT in particular seems to cause a bunch of shonkiness because the mods that recognise it look for v3 instead of the current v5. Real needs and diseases also sounds like a chore.

I'd also like to avoid too many new buttons or having to tweak two-dozen MCM entries on game start (MCMs themselves are fine, it's just needing to alter too many defaults at once which is painful).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
You want graphics? Skyrim Mod Combiner, go download all 25 gigs, use all the options except for a few of the esp-requiring ones. There ya go on the graphics.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I swear I've asked this before, but how do you make a completely clean installation of Skyrim? I haven't played for a long, long time but my save files are utterly hosed. Figured I'd just burn everything and start completely fresh rather than trying to retrace my steps - there's even a bunch of texture and lighting mods installed that don't appear in the Curse client, further muddying things.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

I'm looking for something that affects the gameplay a little, but mostly stuff that renovates the graphics and fine-tunes the base game:
  • SPERG, or Ordinator, or both (the SPERG-Ordinator recommended modlist seems broken as gently caress)
  • Graphical updates - Mesh improvements/SMIM, hairs, better faces / bodies, new armours and weapons
  • Various small patches - better stealing, guard dialogue overhauls, realistic forces(?), quality map, alternative starts
  • New magic would be cool as well, but I'm probably going to play an archer instead
  • Maybe extra quests like Falskaar?
  • Maybe a 305 enb?

I went with SPERG for my last two consecutive runs and it's cool. Most skill trees end up a lot more useful, and the auto-perks you get mean you can still get decent at things you don't want to invest too much points into. I have no experience with Ordinator

The Static Mesh Improvement Mod didn't seem to impact performance much but made things look a lot better without being out of place. Purity is a good alternative for Climates of Tamriel. It might be a tad too dark at night, but there's another mod to change that. For my indoors lighting effects I went with Relighting Skyrim, it's not as heavy an overhaul as other mods, but it's also not pitch black like some. Skyrim Flora Overhaul is good at making plants look pretty and the lighter version doesn't impact performance too much. I've got a tiny graphics card, so I went with Optimized Vanilla Textures, which is basically the Bethesda high resolution DLC but, well, optimized. If I didn't have video RAM concerns, I'd have probably gone with Skyrim HD.

For armors and weapons I go with Complete Crafting Overhaul, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, Cloaks, and Bandoliers (that last one mostly to just cheat myself into being able to carry 1000+ weight so I don't have to constantly bother with playing inventory management). Cloaks and Bandoliers are integrated into Complete Crafting Overhaul. You'll still have to download those mods if you want to use them but you shouldn't load the .esp's, only the resources (so uncheck the .esp for them in the right MO screen, if I recall correctly).

A Quality World Map is a good map mod. If you feel like you want to see where you're going on roads without having to open the map all the time, Point the Way is also nice to have.

Apocalypse and possibly More Apocalypse are very good spell mods and I highly recommend them. Even if you're not a mage, it's fully worth it for the utility spells alone (like being able to fall from heights with Drop Zone, or walking faster, swimming faster, walking on water).

Forgotten City has been the quest mod I've been most impressed with so far (except for the wonky voice acting at the very start in a letter, the rest is very good). If you don't mind weird but still cool and fun stuff, give Trainwiz' mods a try. Blackreach Railroad and Wheels of Lull were probably the ones I liked the most from that list.

Imaginator is a good poor man's ENB, or in case you don't want to end up fiddling with ENB settings that mostly just make your game look good for screenshots and terrible to actually play with.

I'm probably forgetting a ton of mods.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 22, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

I swear I've asked this before, but how do you make a completely clean installation of Skyrim? I haven't played for a long, long time but my save files are utterly hosed. Figured I'd just burn everything and start completely fresh rather than trying to retrace my steps - there's even a bunch of texture and lighting mods installed that don't appear in the Curse client, further muddying things.

Depends on how far you want to take it.

What I'd suggest is to uninstall the game normally, delete everything in \steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ and then do the same thing in \[USER]\Documents\Skyrim.

That should get rid of native Skyrim completely, as well as get rid of every modded file that's been thrown into the actual Skyrim folders.

You'll also probably want to uninstall your mod managers and clear out their folders, especially if you use Mod Organizer, as all the mods associated with it are stored in its own folders, rather than in Skyrim.

If you want to take it even further, you could uninstall the game via a program like Revo Uninstaller, which will let you remove everything directly associated with the game, all the way down to registry edits, if you so choose. Mind that messing with the registry can lead to Bad Things happening, so be careful about that.

Of course, if you want to use Revo Uninstaller, then you'll need to let it do its thing before you follow any of the other suggestions I wrote.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fleve posted:

The Static Mesh Improvement Mod didn't seem to impact performance much but made things look a lot better without being out of place.

I know it impacts performance if you're using a GTX 270 or something older than that.

Man am I glad I got my PC upgraded.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm just embarking on my Skyrim modding journey. I was wondering if anyone else had used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-xMwAeZ8cM

And if there's anything he misses out that you would say I definitely need like bug fixes etc. from the OP? I'm just downloading them all now and applying them in order. Oh god I hope this all works out!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

All of Enaisiaion's mods are drat good.
Thunderchild tweaks shouts and adds new shouts based on the original words.
Apocalypse Magic doesn't need any introduction. It adds a ton of new balanced spells. More Apocalypse just adds a little more spells that are more "experimental" but they are still good.
Dwemertech is a questline that adds a bunch of spells based on dwemer technology.
Spectraverse adds two entire factions with unique spells that you can join. You choose one, and you get a bunch of destruction spells that are really great. They are also very strong.
Wintermyst overhauls enchantments and adds a bunch of new enchantments on gear. They are REALLY good enhancements, and it's not just "soul trap" or "fire damage". There's a enhancement that is called "throw" that launches the target away. Put it on a mace and become Sauron! Put it on an bow and fire ballista bolts from your own arm launching enemies off cliffs! It also fixes bugs that exist with the basic enhancements in the game.
Aurora Standing Stones is an overhaul of the standing stones in Skyrim. They are much better and do more than just "okay you can gain skills slightly faster". They come with a passive and an active bonus. If you're a mage I suggest beelining for the Apprentice standing stone. It makes novice spells take no magicka to cost. The active skill recharges your mana fast, but it might teleport you and other away.
Imperious - Races of Skyrim changes racial abilities. Each race actually plays differently. Bosmer can eat corpses by default, obeying the lore of the Green Pact. You can turn off ritualistic cannibalism.
Ordinator changes the entire perk tree. The best of both worlds is SPERG+Ordinator. You get the amazing gameplay overhaul of SPERG but also get some of the neato Ordinator perks.
Edda is the only one I have no clue about.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Can someone help me with ModOrganizer? I can run my mods through the client just fine but when I try to use a shortcut it says "Executable not found" which is incredible horseshit because I've double-checkd and triple-checked and doubletriple-checked that all of the poo poo in the shortcut is pointing to the right files.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

sitchelin posted:

Can someone help me with ModOrganizer? I can run my mods through the client just fine but when I try to use a shortcut it says "Executable not found" which is incredible horseshit because I've double-checkd and triple-checked and doubletriple-checked that all of the poo poo in the shortcut is pointing to the right files.

I dunno if Mod Organizer had some sort of external shortcut creation thing, but just for clarity's sake, you must start the game through the MO client. It links the virtual Data Files bundle of crap into the game's reach on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

sitchelin posted:

Is MO started in admin mode (if Skyrim is installed on system drive)? Dunno if MO gives a different error message if it doesn't have the correct rights though.

• Locked thread