Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

In that case, tepid weekend before your birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Kashuno posted:

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to finish stuff last night! I forgot I had to open my game :(

It's ok there's still some flavor left to do if you want.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Shadow0 posted:

I actually have a fondue pot here and can confirm: it's good.

Side note: you should try shabushabu. It's kind of like fondue. It's a similar spirit at least.

I have made something similar to this with beef bulgogi in hotpot. You are correct it is delicious :).

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

We're at -1 to start this shindig

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hello what is game I am new to mafia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Sorry mafia is dead.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So in my continuing Lin obsession and descent into madness, tonight I discovered that he wrote the opening for the 2013 Tony's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danBaPWT09A

I've watched this video probably at least once a month for years. Honestly years. I remember watching it at my old apartment before I moved here. I didn't know why but I loved it so much. It's one of my favourite videos on the internet.

When I found out he wrote it I literally had to get up from my desk and just walk around the room for a while I was so shocked. I've loved his music before I even knew who he was. It's so crazy to me.

It also continues to make me sad how late in the game I'm getting into this. I could have known about all of this so many years ago if I bothered to pay attention.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I really like this song from In The Heights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQFjtszBYg

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's my favourite song from In The Heights. I listened to the whole thing and liked it okay, but not nearly as much as Hamilton. It makes me sorta happy that I don't like it as much, cause then I'd feel extra bad about how behind the times I am. That said, it still has great moments, and this song is one of them.

That song (and Nina's story in general) I really identify with too. I was the first one in my family to go to university and I was only able to afford it because of a scholarship. I had to keep an A average throughout my entire university career or I would not be able to go back. There's no way we'd be able to afford tuition without that scholarship, so my only option was to be incredibly hard on myself. Anything less than an A was a fail.

Now that I'm in grad school the second half of the song feels very familiar.

quote:

Straighten the spine
Smile for the neighbors
Everything’s fine
Everything’s cool
The standard reply:
“Lots of tests, lots of papers.”
Smile, wave goodbye
And pray to the sky, oh, god…
And what will my parents say?

I have spent the last year or so feeling really burnt out by grad school and how long I've been there, but it's like all my family's hopes are wrapped up in it and all I've been working towards needs me to continue, so I'm gonna keep going, and just the idea of putting on a "yeah, I sure am busy but it's all good and cool" to my mom is pretty much what I say when she asks how it's going.

A couple of months ago I almost got my old job back which would have completely invalidated everything I've been doing the last 6 years and I really was tempted.

Not to get too deep, but there is a reason that Hamilton, and especially (ESPECIALLY) My Shot resonate with me so much that I listen to it multiple times a day to get pumped up is that Grad School is a loving grind and while I know that technically I'm working towards something that's important and can really make a difference in people's lives and improve the world in some way, but it's hard to keep that big picture motivation when you just sit in your apartment for weeks at a time willing yourself to write.

I am completely obsessed with Lin and Hamilton, but it's not because I want to be a crazy stalker and get a lock of his hair or whatever, it's because I can really see myself in the music in a way that I don't usually do with music. This is probably a little too much to say in this here mafia thread, but it's late and I'm rambling and also I am fully aware that this is basically all I've talked about for weeks and that's super weird, but it's really struck something for me and I can't shake that feeling.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Welp looks like my laptop is dead. Sorry for anyone excited for more Mafia Is Dead, I have no idea when I'll be able to do more :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:ironicat:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

you'll be dead soon buddo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tommunist posted:

you'll be dead soon buddo

Nah, gonna jokepost my way to victory.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i've won twice as a serial killer now so i get to make the new thread

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Asiina posted:

Yeah that's my favourite song from In The Heights. I listened to the whole thing and liked it okay, but not nearly as much as Hamilton. It makes me sorta happy that I don't like it as much, cause then I'd feel extra bad about how behind the times I am. That said, it still has great moments, and this song is one of them.

That song (and Nina's story in general) I really identify with too. I was the first one in my family to go to university and I was only able to afford it because of a scholarship. I had to keep an A average throughout my entire university career or I would not be able to go back. There's no way we'd be able to afford tuition without that scholarship, so my only option was to be incredibly hard on myself. Anything less than an A was a fail.

I have spent the last year or so feeling really burnt out by grad school and how long I've been there, but it's like all my family's hopes are wrapped up in it and all I've been working towards needs me to continue, so I'm gonna keep going, and just the idea of putting on a "yeah, I sure am busy but it's all good and cool" to my mom is pretty much what I say when she asks how it's going.

A couple of months ago I almost got my old job back which would have completely invalidated everything I've been doing the last 6 years and I really was tempted.

Not to get too deep, but there is a reason that Hamilton, and especially (ESPECIALLY) My Shot resonate with me so much that I listen to it multiple times a day to get pumped up is that Grad School is a loving grind and while I know that technically I'm working towards something that's important and can really make a difference in people's lives and improve the world in some way, but it's hard to keep that big picture motivation when you just sit in your apartment for weeks at a time willing yourself to write.

I am completely obsessed with Lin and Hamilton, but it's not because I want to be a crazy stalker and get a lock of his hair or whatever, it's because I can really see myself in the music in a way that I don't usually do with music. This is probably a little too much to say in this here mafia thread, but it's late and I'm rambling and also I am fully aware that this is basically all I've talked about for weeks and that's super weird, but it's really struck something for me and I can't shake that feeling.

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith: the burn sucks I hope it ends soon for you. I have something similar going on and will be out of academia soon as I finish this.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I have made something similar to this with beef bulgogi in hotpot. You are correct it is delicious :).

I really need to learn how to make Korean food.

Also, meat pies: the only thing I know about British food. I remember they were amazing though.
I was wondering what Australia brought to the world in terms of food, just more meat pies? Sounds good though, I want to try one. Please mail a hot one to Germany, kthx.

I had kangaroo once, but I don't remember what it tasted like. :(
Ever notice how no one is ever impressed by exotic not-meats you've eaten? Anyone ever eaten a durian? They also make good projectiles.

All pies are amazing; Germany really needs to take a break from cakes and cake-likes and try some pies.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

:( Hang in there.
I know the feeling. I've really delved into SA to fill the void in my heart. Just one year left...
We'll make it! it's just a matter of time and not going insane before then.
Try watching One Piece to feel better! :zoro:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Remember that Hamilton's downfall is entirely the result of him not wanting to miss his shot :sun:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to look at my no-longer-Mafia-why-would-you-have-so-many-roles-what-why-is-everyone-a-Doctor-this-is-stupid role-heavy flavor-light setup?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qAOA0qXBOAehHdF2nxCBwZTy-9n0PyINIH-i26etYQY/edit?usp=sharing
Especially let me know if you come up with any better role ideas for some of the characters.
It's an open setup, so this is the OP. Looking at it won't disqualify you from playing, but PM me if you see any really good strategies instead of commenting them in the doc because you might give the enemies ideas if I keep it as a valid strategy.
Also let me know if I am inconsistent in terminology or capitalization anywhere.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

Anyone want to look at my no-longer-Mafia-why-would-you-have-so-many-roles-what-why-is-everyone-a-Doctor-this-is-stupid role-heavy flavor-light setup?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qAOA0qXBOAehHdF2nxCBwZTy-9n0PyINIH-i26etYQY/edit?usp=sharing
Especially let me know if you come up with any better role ideas for some of the characters.
It's an open setup, so this is the OP. Looking at it won't disqualify you from playing, but PM me if you see any really good strategies instead of commenting them in the doc because you might give the enemies ideas if I keep it as a valid strategy.
Also let me know if I am inconsistent in terminology or capitalization anywhere.

I didn't even get all the way to the setup yet but 72 hour nights is way too long

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

hope y'all are having a nice morning

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
(that picture is a month old, by the way. she moves so fast now i can't get a good picture unless she's asleep)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Hi mafia thread, I've been shopping new TVs for a while and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon. But then I was listening to a podcast last night where someone discussed how they haven't had a TV for over a decade because they just watch everything on their computer. I have a couple consoles so a TV is a must but it made me wonder how much diversity there is in entertainment setups. So, what does yours look like?

Mine is currently a 40" Vizio from like 2010 that I am probably going to replace with a Samsung 55" 4K. Pretty excited about it.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

BottleKnight posted:

Hi mafia thread, I've been shopping new TVs for a while and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon. But then I was listening to a podcast last night where someone discussed how they haven't had a TV for over a decade because they just watch everything on their computer. I have a couple consoles so a TV is a must but it made me wonder how much diversity there is in entertainment setups. So, what does yours look like?

Mine is currently a 40" Vizio from like 2010 that I am probably going to replace with a Samsung 55" 4K. Pretty excited about it.

How long have 4k tvs been out?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quite a few years now, but they've only been mass produced at more reasonable prices since 2013. If you go into a Best Buy their more expensive half of TVs will be 4K.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

BottleKnight posted:

Quite a few years now, but they've only been mass produced at more reasonable prices since 2013. If you go into a Best Buy their more expensive half of TVs will be 4K.

For some reason I thought they were relatively new technology. I always heard with TV's the new tech is super expensive when it immediately comes out but like a year later the price drops like crazy.

That should be a great TV, enjoy your new purchase.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I hope so!

If you want to know what the new big TV technology (the holy grail) is, here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPLFzEHvqd4

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

My PC is connected to a 50in TV as well as a 24in monitor. I have a wireless controller, keyboard, and mouse for the TV setup and a wired keyboard and mouse for the desk.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

My PC is connected to a 50in TV as well as a 24in monitor. I have a wireless controller, keyboard, and mouse for the TV setup and a wired keyboard and mouse for the desk.

This is exactly my setup. My desk and TV stand are next to each other and my TV acts as a second monitor. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse I can use from the couch, and wired keyboard and mouse on the desk.

I love this setup. I wouldn't want to get rid of my TV, because I like being able to watch things on a larger screen and also hang out on the couch and not have to sit at my desk to watch TV. It's pretty good for playing games, and good for general interneting (I'm sitting on my couch right now). If you can manage to arrange your living space around it, it's a great setup.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

My messy desk (and a laser cat)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I have a really small tv, but I hired a very small man (he's around 20cm tall) to watch it for me and describe what is happening. He has the talents of a poet and the tales he weaves about the TV show "please let me out of this box you monster" really warms my heart.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I have a 55" Sony 1080p TV I bought last year in my living room that I have a bunch of consoles hooked up to, and my desktop is on a desk in my guest room. I will hook up my desktop to my TV occasionally because that can be pretty fun with certain games. I try to avoid screens in my bedroom as much as possible.

I almost feel like 55" is too small for 4K at any reasonable sitting distance, but maybe as there is more content and if you don't mind sitting really close it will be fine.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Look Under The Rock posted:

hope y'all are having a nice morning

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow0 posted:

i echo what kash said, 72 hour days AND 72 hour nights are way way way too long. Days should be 48h at most (this is up to interpretation on a mod-by-mod basis) and nights should be ~24h or you will kill the momentum of your game - especially in big games.

I left a few comments in the doc!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

i would play that

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I echo the sentiment that 72 hours is way too long.

Also, you kind of posted your setup to the public so everyone will know what all the roles are and as soon as anyone claims their flavor everyone will know what that person can do, You basically gave scum a guide on who to kill.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CapitalistPig posted:

I echo the sentiment that 72 hours is way too long.

Also, you kind of posted your setup to the public so everyone will know what all the roles are and as soon as anyone claims their flavor everyone will know what that person can do, You basically gave scum a guide on who to kill.

The intent as stated is that flavor should never be claimed (look at Widowmaker) and that it's an open setup. How well that works in practice, I dunno.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Podima posted:

The intent as stated is that flavor should never be claimed (look at Widowmaker) and that it's an open setup. How well that works in practice, I dunno.

I am bad at reading things.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

i echo what kash said, 72 hour days AND 72 hour nights are way way way too long. Days should be 48h at most (this is up to interpretation on a mod-by-mod basis) and nights should be ~24h or you will kill the momentum of your game - especially in big games.

I left a few comments in the doc!

72 hours for a day is absolutely fine 72 hours for night is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My setup is a 24" tube TV in here for consoles because my focus with those is generally the older the better (really, it's mostly for my NES, a lot of the other stuff is too much effort for too little enjoyment), my PC, which has two 21" LCDs on the desk next to it. The TV will often have ESPN or VH1 Classic on because I am old and like sports and music videos while I game or internet or whatever on the PC. Out in the main room where the bookcases, drums, amps, etc are, there's also my stereo setup: it's a lower-range Stanton turntable that I'll probably replace at some point, a mid-80s Realistic receiver that needs the pots cleaned up or replaced---sounds great as long as you don't have to turn a knob, and the most recent acquisition, a pair of Cerwin-Vega speakers that scream I AM LISTENING TO VAN HALEN CIRCA 1987 but sound loving great. We also have an ancient 15" 4:3 LCD TV in the kitchen with a DVD player that we got in a box of Omaha Steaks (??!!) hooked up to it for if I absolutely positively have to put on Depeche Mode while I'm cooking (this happens way more often than you think)