Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Alabaster White posted:

You can if you want to without worry, but there's a section of the level you've missed.
I did that too until someone told me a hot tip: there's an elevator you might think leads to nothing? It does. Look "around".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god why Boreal Dancer, why?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Simply Simon posted:

I did that too until someone told me a hot tip: there's an elevator you might think leads to nothing? It does. Look "around".

Found it, thanks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

vandalism posted:

I just beat the game. I was SL 80 at comedian, and respecced after everything and went for a 40 strength 40 dexterity quality build. With the 27 in vigor, that doesn't leave me much for endurance or armor sets. I've heard that staying at or around 80 is the best. I went up to 83 I think with the extra souls I had. What levels are people generally in ng+? If I go up to 100 or so will summons dry up? Mostly for bosses, not pvp.

my 3rd character is level 163 on ng++. I'm getting invaded a bit, summoned as a dark moon blade fairly regularly and there were a fair few signs at the pvp area after pontiff...boss summons/signs arent as common as lower levels but still there, dont really need them as you can smash stuff fairly quickly anyway, going up a few levels should be pretty safe I would say(this is on PC btw)

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
Tons of kills to be had at the little place in the undead settlement where the giant shoots arrows at you. Around 30 tongues from the environment. Not because of the giant, people really want to fight you and theyll try to jump across to the little rock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpg897W9Mtw

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I have now finished every covenant grind except watchdogs... And pretty sure that will never happen naturally at SL120.

Mound Makers was a lot of fun, if the host used a giant seed I'd just start clearing the level to the boss until they caught up/I met them.

Guess I'll just finish up NG+ and call it done before Overwatch hits in ~34 hours.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:darksouls:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god why Boreal Dancer, why?

she gets caught on pillars real easy and you can use that to heal/get cheap hits in

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

actionjackson posted:

I literally have no embers and can't get anymore.

Could you not just sunbro on Vordt or Greatwood for a bit? My level 30 katana girl has more than 100 embers right now just because I love cooping with people.

e: Unless weapon upgrade levels can gently caress that up for coop as well as invasion.

e: e: It still seems stupid to me that the matchmaking goes by highest upgrade ever rather than highest upgrade in your inventory. You can't access your storage during an invasion/coop summon.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 22, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

QuarkJets posted:

did demon's souls not have a way to get sins forgiven? In DS1 you'd just talk to that velka guy in the bell tower

(coincidentally my first playthrough of DS1 I thought that the sin forgiveness NPC looked like an enemy and I was like "ha ha Dark Souls, trying to ambush me right after ringing the first bell, I'll show you!" and then killed the poo poo out of him, later I read online that he's actually an NPC)

All you could do then was hard quit. IMMEDIATELY.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these dark souls.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Melanion posted:

It still seems stupid to me that the matchmaking goes by highest upgrade ever rather than highest upgrade in your inventory.

It's also kind of stupid seeing as how you might wanna play with more than the small couple weapons you slab in a playthrough, when I keep hearing that once you +10 something the matchmaker weights you more heavily than ever to just try and find other +10's.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Melanion posted:

It still seems stupid to me that the matchmaking goes by highest upgrade ever rather than highest upgrade in your inventory. You can't access your storage during an invasion/coop summon.

I assume it's because it's easier on the matchmaking server compared to running a full-on inventory scan every few seconds.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So Aldrich faithful works and Farron watchdog kinda works, but blue cops and darkmoon just doesn't? Or is it supposed to be either all broken or all working? I swear these covenants are really confusing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I cut out more dorkmoon forked tongues just in my session last night than I did my entire previous playtime, so something went down to help at least a part of them it seems.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Decrepus posted:

Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these dark souls.

I didn't know you had the titular line in this game, Decrepus

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you use Spook does Lorian not know where you are or is he faking it? He can stand up too you know. :colbert:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I personally prefer the sl 80 meta tbh. And spells work fine in it as far as I've seen. I made a faith health regeneration build that's pretty fun. I get around 10 hp back a second and it works really well for pve and rat pvp. It's just a little weak for honor duels. It's fun to run in on a host, get a few hits and run away to regen some hp.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

I finally finished all the covenant grinds thanks to the family account switch. By god being a bluecop sucks though. Best case scenario is a 1v1 fight with an invader, but usually it's just a giant gank and half the time the invaders dead before you're even properly summoned in and you don't even get a loving ear. Worst covenant by far. I miss invading hosts with sin, that was fun and felt properly "righteous."

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Yardbomb posted:

I cut out more dorkmoon forked tongues just in my session last night than I did my entire previous playtime, so something went down to help at least a part of them it seems.

It feels like I've never not seen a bluecop when I've invaded, but I've sat as a bluecop for about 3 hours once just as an experiment, and was never summoned once. There's something fucky, I just don't know what it is.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

mortons stork posted:

So Aldrich faithful works and Farron watchdog kinda works, but blue cops and darkmoon just doesn't? Or is it supposed to be either all broken or all working? I swear these covenants are really confusing.

They all work or don't depending on your steam account for some reason. Mine doesn't for any of them accept very occasionally I would get an Aldrich summon. Like 3 in 80 hours. I swapped my character to a dif account using steam family share and was getting instant to within 5 minute summons on all of them at SL 120.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I am incredibly tempted to run a lvl30 twink for covenant grinding. Is there a restriction on rings you can give someone - like can I give a lvl30 still in ng rings that are +2 from ng+2? Could run ring of favor+2 prisoner chain, cloro+2 and hornet or something crazy with a raw Astora ss

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I am incredibly tempted to run a lvl30 twink for covenant grinding. Is there a restriction on rings you can give someone - like can I give a lvl30 still in ng rings that are +2 from ng+2? Could run ring of favor+2 prisoner chain, cloro+2 and hornet or something crazy with a raw Astora ss

That works just fine

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

youre mostly restricted from giving certain items. you also cant see +10 weapons if you havent made +10 weapons already. rings are compleatly fine as far as im aware.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Melanion posted:

Could you not just sunbro on Vordt or Greatwood for a bit? My level 30 katana girl has more than 100 embers right now just because I love cooping with people.

e: Unless weapon upgrade levels can gently caress that up for coop as well as invasion.

e: e: It still seems stupid to me that the matchmaking goes by highest upgrade ever rather than highest upgrade in your inventory. You can't access your storage during an invasion/coop summon.

Yeah I can't get summoned with my current weapon, so I'd probably have to try that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

k-spar posted:

I finally finished all the covenant grinds thanks to the family account switch. By god being a bluecop sucks though. Best case scenario is a 1v1 fight with an invader, but usually it's just a giant gank and half the time the invaders dead before you're even properly summoned in and you don't even get a loving ear. Worst covenant by far. I miss invading hosts with sin, that was fun and felt properly "righteous."

It's completely baffling to me that DMB aren't a sinvasion covenant and Blue Sentinels the cops, just like pretty much everyone else playing this game.

I feel like it has to have been a thing cut for time or something.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
sunbro is an easy covenant to finish up if you're higher than 30 just go put your sign out in front of yhorm for some easy medals and souls. You can also get an easy extra +3000 after the first time you are summoned since the gargoyle to the right of yhorm's bonfire dies if you triggered them both off their perches due to some weird spawn error.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's completely baffling to me that DMB aren't a sinvasion covenant and Blue Sentinels the cops, just like pretty much everyone else playing this game.

I feel like it has to have been a thing cut for time or something.

I think you are right and it was cut, just like the dragon covenant.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I've used axes/hammers and they are way harder to use than other weapons because of their short range. The phantom range on tons of popular weapons makes it really hard to win with the weapons that got the short end of the stick. Its less of a problem in a 1v1, but for invaders who are going to be in lopsided matches, trying to use a short range weapon is awful.

Short weapons are tough to use in all of the souls games, but I've found the broadsword fine to use on my quality build, especially with parries. Lots of damage, fairly quick, and you can actually bait parries with the short range. I just miss having a thrust with the broadsword - something that always was a bummer with the weapon. I will agree, though, that phantom range makes dealing with certain weapons a major hassle and can make getting into proper range tricky. I might look for another sword with longer reach, just to punish people that heal more easily. Use to use throwing knives for that in DS2, but they don't seem quite as useful in this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fire Barrel posted:

Short weapons are tough to use in all of the souls games, but I've found the broadsword fine to use on my quality build, especially with parries. Lots of damage, fairly quick, and you can actually bait parries with the short range. I just miss having a thrust with the broadsword - something that always was a bummer with the weapon. I will agree, though, that phantom range makes dealing with certain weapons a major hassle and can make getting into proper range tricky. I might look for another sword with longer reach, just to punish people that heal more easily. Use to use throwing knives for that in DS2, but they don't seem quite as useful in this.
Use Kukri instead, they deal insanely more damage than throwing knives for some reason.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Use Kukri instead, they deal insanely more damage than throwing knives for some reason.

kukri have better strength/dex scaling but they are thrown a bit slower however

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh, I hadn't noticed the difference in throwing speed. I was really confused otherwise because they not only scale better, they also have bleed. Granted, you'll never proc it with those alone, but still. Oh, and you can carry 10 less Kukri but whatever.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah. Get yourself to level 30 with a +3 or +4 weapon and sit at the Crucifixion Woods bonfire for all the hits you'll ever need.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
The throwing speed of kukri limits their use a little bit, since you have to be far closer to make sure you can connect. That said, they do whole lot more damage and the bleed. I find them to be fairly handy when the target is distracted.

Maybe I'll switch to a bow or crossbow to punish healers. Crossbows might even be better since I can fire those with one hand and I have an unupgraded Evelyn just sitting around.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Fire Barrel posted:

The throwing speed of kukri limits their use a little bit, since you have to be far closer to make sure you can connect. That said, they do whole lot more damage and the bleed. I find them to be fairly handy when the target is distracted.

Maybe I'll switch to a bow or crossbow to punish healers. Crossbows might even be better since I can fire those with one hand and I have an unupgraded Evelyn just sitting around.

I like bows with the quick fire weapon skills for that. If they haven't use a talisman poise buff you can get an arrow in them about as quickly as you can weapon swap; if you're building for dex or quality it can be pretty respectable damage too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Took me a second :golfclap:

k-spar posted:

They all work or don't depending on your steam account for some reason. Mine doesn't for any of them accept very occasionally I would get an Aldrich summon. Like 3 in 80 hours. I swapped my character to a dif account using steam family share and was getting instant to within 5 minute summons on all of them at SL 120.
It's not Steam because people playing on PS4 (me) don't get bluebro summons either. Got a few watchdog summons but I literally sat and read a book one night waiting on blue summons and my console threatened to shut itself down for inactivity. Must have been over 2 hours and not a goddamn thing. I know people have corrected the problem by using Steam's family thing but it doesn't explain what the problem is on console. I tried restoring licenses, making the console my primary, everything I could think of and it didn't work.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

other people (not me) have found success blue-broing by making an entirely new ps4 account.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I popped a seed in Ithryll, dropped a dried finger and stuck myself out of the way and put on way of the blue and I have 30000 souls in about 3 minutes and now I'm going to go to the grocery store. Will see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I know the shine is off the apple for many players, but for me, it'll never be old getting to beat the game as Filthy Pyro Pope