Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I was kind of hoping the drowning had killed him and the rest of the Ironborn had just been all "Well, poo poo..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And what the heck was so important about that lazy winterfell afternoon at the courtyard that not-bloodraven had to take Bran there AGAIN after they already knew that the night's king was inbound? What was the point of that other than setting up the "hold door" (which btw, makes more sense than hold THE door) ending?

It made zero sense.

"Quick, it is time for you to become me"

*hangs out in a courtyard while nothing happens*

*dies*

The Hodor stuff is seriously bad. It means nothing. OK, so he says Hodor because Bran mind hosed him. I get that and it explains why he only says Hodor. Why is this of any importance? It makes viewers go "oooh thats why he says it, its all connected!" and you feel like pieces are coming together but really its nothing.

If Bran starts trying to meddle with time now and save Ned from dying and talks to Varys through the cock fire I will feel grief.

I really enjoyed the Tyrion and Varys stuff and I like how they always dance around the darkness when he was cut. The time in the blackwater episode when he's speaking to Tyrion about things he has seen was great too. But its best left to the imagination so I hope it stays that way.

I wanted the nights king et al to be more of an independent threat and having them be the guard dogs gone wild of the COTF is a bit of a letdown. The show has also done a terrible job of explaining who the COTF even are.

Yara was great and really feels like a strong female leader in this episode that I want to see kicking rear end. Dany is the opposite.

Theon seems far less broken than he should be but thats fine as I enjoy his performances and Reek is pretty one note.

Why is Aryas training all loving stick fighting? Why is that the only measure of being ready or not? It is very weird.

Davos is always awesome. Brienne is awesome. The look and grin Tormund gave her is awesome.

It feels like enough poo poo has happened that nobody should care about Sansa being a Stark enough to want to fight for her. Things have gone to poo poo and its about survival now, not doing your duty to your dead lords daughter. I dunno, maybe if Sansa was acted better Id believe people would unite under her but the performance is so mediocre that she has no gravitas.

Phew.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hottubrhymemachine posted:

The look and grin Tormund gave her is awesome.

Lmao I just got to that part, that was loving amazing

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I think it's great that the storyline in the North is going to be ADWD Stannis 2.0 with Jon and Sansa making the rounds in the North gathering support, Jamie is going to have his AFFC arc, Tyrion gets Dany+Barristan from ADWD, Ironborn get AFFC stuff, Sam gets AFFC stuff with only the big set pieces (Jon's resurrection, Dany's burning the Khals, Arya going to leave the FM, battle of the bastards) being from a future book. It almost as if D&D are mostly incapable of filling in the fluff without GRRM to hold their hands.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Captain Splendid posted:

I was kind of hoping the drowning had killed him and the rest of the Ironborn had just been all "Well, poo poo..."

They're all just standing around with no fleet, the monarch's dead and all the best captains floating off to god knows where.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah why didn't they just stab him to death right then. that would've owned.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Accretionist posted:

They're all just standing around with no fleet, the monarch's dead and all the best captains floating off to god knows where.

All the best captains, who just proclaimed Euron king but decided that NotAsha is actually the better leader? There was literally zero dissent when he was proclaimed king.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The hodor-part was really really good and emotional. If you're upset about that you're literally just wanting to find things to be upset about.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

hottubrhymemachine posted:

The Hodor stuff is seriously bad. It means nothing. OK, so he says Hodor because Bran mind hosed him. I get that and it explains why he only says Hodor. Why is this of any importance? It makes viewers go "oooh thats why he says it, its all connected!" and you feel like pieces are coming together but really its nothing.

Well maybe it's just to show that Bran can seriously mess up people with his powers. Why does it need to be much more than that? I think this is something that the viewers built up more than the show did, they only revealed he could talk a couple of episodes ago.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

They are in the courtyard to make hodor. Without hodor there's no way bran ever makes it north of the wall, and without bran making hodor there is no hodor.

E: Thats why bloodraven makes this his final act. He has to get bran to make hodor before he dies, otherwise none of this can happen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Did anyone complain about the wights crawling on the ceiling already?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
My guess is that the origin of Hodor was either not revealed by Martin to the writers ("I'm not sure yet") or to complicated for the show, because Old Nan makes the point that no one knows what "Hodor" means, but it's very clear that in the show reality, everyone knows that Hodor suddenly started to scream "hold the door" which became "Hodor" and there would be no reason for her not to tell Bran exactly what happened "Hodor suddenly had a spasm and started screaming...".

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bran sure did grow up ugly.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wonder what was the point of bringing the Freys back this season. It sounds like they don't really factor into this season at all. Maybe we'll get one scene of them all being killed by somebody who then makes a speech about how cool they are.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Beeez posted:

I wonder what was the point of bringing the Freys back this season. It sounds like they don't really factor into this season at all. Maybe we'll get one scene of them all being killed by somebody who then makes a speech about how cool they are.

There's a scene in one of the trailers that looks like it might be a bit of a counter-red wedding

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Beeez posted:

With the way this season is going, someone is going to publicly murder Walder Frey and everyone is going to immediately support that person.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That suicide bombing was hilarious. Hey, you know you can throw those things, right?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

That suicide bombing was hilarious. Hey, you know you can throw those things, right?

I think the idea was to get as many of them as possible to gather on top of her before it blew up for maximum carnage and/or time-buying

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The Freys haven't been mentioned in any of the semi-confirmed leaks have they? I feel like Manderly will be involved because we've heard nothing about him either, and they keep mentioning the Manderlys on the show so you'd have thought they'll turn up at some point.

Either that or it was mainly done cgi and they get direwolved, none of the leaks have known what happens with them either.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

the jizz taxi posted:

What's your frame of reference here? I mean, what fiction, to you, is well-written?

Personally, as an avid reader with very broad tastes ranging from highly cerebral literature to guilty pleasures, GRRM is a deft stylist throughout the first three novels, with book four and five containing both his finest and his worst work at the same time. Martin is good at pointed and lively dialogue and conveying a character's emotional en mental make-up through their internal monologue. He's not so good at describing dense places like cities, big buildings and overall town layouts. He's at his best when he either focuses on details or when he's just painting with very broad strokes.

His long descriptions of clothing, ambients, dinners etc are definitely awful to read. And we get a lot of that kinda of stuff. Also, "words are wind"

He is not a great writer, he is a decent/mediocre writer with a great imagination. He created an interesting world with interesting characters and mysteries, which is good enough for this genre of literature. Too bad is imagination is actually so great he lost himself in it

EDIT: whoa, did the episode leaked or something?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

With the way this season is going, someone is going to publicly murder Walder Frey and everyone is going to immediately support that person.

It should be an entire episode of the next person in the line of succession in the Frey family killing the person who is currently Lord of the Crossing until there's only one left.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Personally I think the showrunners are sick of doing the show and want to get it over with.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: whoa, did the episode leaked or something?

Very much so.

It's all over the internet, HBO Nordic affiliate put it on HBO go 24 hours too early.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Very much so.

It's all over the internet, HBO Nordic affiliate put it on HBO go 24 hours too early.

Oh well, Ill be back in an hour then

Kawalimus posted:

Personally I think the showrunners are sick of doing the show and want to get it over with.

Is what I think too. They are rushing it to the end and evidently dont care anymore about making sense of the plot or developing the characters. And decided to shorten it whole HBO begs then to do the opposite.

I guess they just want to move on

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The hodor stuff is bad and dumb because he just died /had a super omg dramatic plot reveal... To give Meera a maybe two minute head start running from the walkers. Meera is tiny. She's not going to be able to out run an undead army dragging a cripple.

Good thing Benjen shows up magically to save them next week and Hodor's death will now just be a "oh that happened" moment.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

NORTH: -Sansa and Jon start rallying houses to support them in removing the Bolton-rule. -Brienne and Pod is sent to the Riverlands to try and get the help from the Tullys. -Jon, Sansa and Davos travel to Northern houses. -Sansa meets Littlefinger again, and he apologises for giving her to Ramsay, claiming he didn't know. Sansa wants nothing more to do with him. (Done – episode 5) -The Starks only get the support from the Hornwoods, another show-only house and they go to Bear Island and meet w. Lyanna Mormont.

She support them, but have very few men to spare as well. -During this journey, Davos comes across Stannis' old camp near Longlake, where Shireen was sacrificed. He finds the wooden stag-figure he made for her / remnants of it or something. He gets very pissed and confronts Melisandre about it. She admits doing it.

Riverlands possibly -The Brotherhood Without Banners is no more apparently. The remnants, led by Thoros of Myr are basicly "theifs of the highway" in the Riverlands or something. -Ian McShane's former knight-turned priest character (along w. several other people) is ambushed by the "Brotherhood"-remnants. (probably killed since he only appears in one episode) -One of the men accompanying Ian's character is The Hound. Not sure if Ian McShane's character is killed, but several others in their company are killed by the Brotherhood, and the Hound is forced to fight them. -He battles Thoros of Myr 1 on 1, and apparently wins.

Bravos -Arya is sent by the Faceless Men to kill an actress. (Done – Epsidoe 5) -She refuses to do this for some reason and Jaquen orders the Waif to go after her. -Arya kills her and flees Braavos it seems. Pyke -Euron is declared king at the Kingsmoot. He wants Dany as queen. Theon and Asha meet up, and they form an alliance, and wants to go against Euron. They steal a ship or more (uncertain), and heads for Volantis. They will side w. Daenerys. -Euron does little this season. No plunder along the coasts and Oldtown (I think).
North of wall -Bran has a vision about the Children of the Forest "doing something", when he awakes, he confronts Leaf or some other Child of the Forest about it, and they explain that they basicly created the Others to "protect something". (done – episode 5) -Bran also has a vision of the Night's King and his leutenants, and Night's King senses this (grabbing Bran's arm) and finds out the location of the cave. The wights attack. (done – episode 5) -Not sure what happens to the Children or the Three Eyed Raven, but a battle occurs, (they die) -Bran, Summer, and Meera is barely able to flee. (summer apparently is dead, btw is it possible summer might become a wight. I mean the WW have undead horses so. If so then I’m calling it ghost vs summer) -Hodor sacrifices himself to hold the "door", so they can escape it seems. (done – episode 5) -Wights are after them during their journey down to The Wall. -When they are pursued, they are saved by Benjen Stark apparently and taken to The Wall, before he departs again. (why the gently caress would he depart again. And where the gently caress has he been. I expect a really good answer to this) -Bran has a vision when he gets to the Wall, where he sees the last of the Tower of Joy-scene. -We see Ned and Lyanna and we see a baby crying. Lyanna whispers something to Ned that we don't hear. (possibly the last scene of season 6. An epic cockblock)

Kings Landing -There will be no Clegane-bowl this season. Cersei is apparently refused trial by combat, but she sets The Mountain loose on some Sparrows, which he kills. He also smashes Septa Unella. -Not sure what happens to Loras or Margery, but Tommen kills himself. He apparently jumps out of a window in the Red Keep. -Quyburn kills Pycelle at least “sends his "Birds". (if he kills pycell than doesit also imply that he kills Kevin lannister as well, considering he takes the role of varys, OR in fact the little birds are working for varys)

Riverlands
-In the Riverlands, Brienne and Pod arrives in Jamie's camp. Bronn surprises Pod, with "strangling" him. His way of saying hello. (is bron an alien from scary movie 3?) -Brienne and Jamie has a discussion in Jamie's tent. He doesn't like that she is siding with the Tullys. -She explains the stuff in the North, but we see more of rear end in a top hat-Jamie from s.1-2 and he doesn't believe in the Others, and he is sent to deal with the Tullys, not the Boltons. Not his problem etc. -Brienne goes inside Riverrun to meet w. the Blackfish. Jamie forces Edmure Tully to surrender Riverrun, as he is the lord, not the Blackfish. Blackfish shoots arrows after the Lannisters. -A battle ensues inside Riverrun, and Brienne is barely able to escape. -The Blackfish is presumably killed off-screen / uncertain in the ensuing battle. Not sure what happens to Brienne.
-a lot of main characters die in the season finale.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nooneofconsequence posted:

Bran sure did grow up ugly.

lol i feel bad but i thought the same when he was looking upon the zombies during the vision.

Elias_Maluco posted:

His long descriptions of clothing, ambients, dinners etc are definitely awful to read. And we get a lot of that kinda of stuff. Also, "words are wind"

He is not a great writer, he is a decent/mediocre writer with a great imagination. He created an interesting world with interesting characters and mysteries, which is good enough for this genre of literature. Too bad is imagination is actually so great he lost himself in it

this is exactly it, half of being a good writer is knowing what to leave out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good episode. I just hate what the Children creating the White Walkers does to the story.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good episode. I just hate what the Children creating the White Walkers does to the story.

Why? It was the highlight of the season for me.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is what I think too. They are rushing it to the end and evidently dont care anymore about making sense of the plot or developing the characters. And decided to shorten it whole HBO begs then to do the opposite.
I think that this episode was the most character development Bran has received since the beginning of the story.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

:perfect:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why? It was the highlight of the season for me.

If they were created as human-killing machines, the Others are very unlikely to have their own motives.

It's also simply inherently unsatisfying to have the big threat be something created by a real nonentity in the story. There has been very little foreshadowing of this in the show and book. GRRM's probably spent more words describing Sansa's wardrobe than the Children of the Forest.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Not a single Ramsay scene this episode :perfect:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

Why are people suddenly ok with their lords being murdered?

Because for some reason the feudal contract which the entire society rests upon no longer and everyone is ok with that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

It's also simply inherently unsatisfying to have the big threat be something created by a real nonentity in the story. There has been very little foreshadowing of this in the show and book. GRRM's probably spent more words describing Sansa's wardrobe than the Children of the Forest.

they shouldn't have been in the story at all.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it's not like militarisation having unintended negative consequences later is a theme of the story or anything.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
The Hodor thing was really nice & tragic. Poor Hodor :smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

EatinCake posted:

The Hodor thing was really nice & tragic. Poor Hodor :smith:

They even time-traveled to ruin specifically him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Accretionist posted:

They even time-traveled to ruin specifically him.

Maybe they did? Seemed like it worked, so good thing too.

I've read a bit of this thread too and been seeing a lot of notions that the writers are rushing things along. Which, I don't know how you'd measure it, but is something I feel GoT has always kinda done? One thing I've always appreciated about the show is that while we linger on some plot lines (Arya, last season more or less) things generally move pretty quick.

I guess I don't know how you'd measure it, but for better or worse breakneck speeds & characters getting off'd well before their time (to me) is sorta been the case since day one.

• Locked thread