Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I know it's been discussed a lot, but what's the consensus about Nexus 5x battery life? My Nexus 6 is giving me headaches (all the usual fixes don't work anymore, maybe I've just abused it too much) and I want a new but not too expensive phone quickly.

Will I have worse or better battery life? Anand says slightly better, many other reviews are disappointed about the battery. What's the real world like?

I'd consider my usage average to heavy. One push email account, many whatsapp messages throughout the day, browsing SA, Instagram and Facebook whenever on the shitter. I get about 3h SOT with the 6 at the moment and it's fine. I couldn't live with any less but on par or slightly above would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just above 3hr SOT sounds about right, it lasts me the day but if I'm going out in the evening I need to give it a quick boost

Fast charging is great though

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
gently caress, so I've bent and thus screwed up the screen on my S6 Edge, can only see about the top third of it. I basically can't navigate or do much using the actual phone. I might try and repair it or just buy a replacement (as I don't like it anyway). Problem is I stupidly haven't got my contacts backed up, and they are stored on the phone. I can connect to Airdroid, but that seems to have no contacts backup.

Is there some way of backing up my contacts entirely via my PC, with the phone connected either via cable or wifi, so I can transfer them to a new phone?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is not having your contacts backed up to Google even possible on a modern android phone?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Apparently, yes. When I tried going to Google Contacts it said I have none. Clicking "Import" just gave me the option to import from other accounts. Nothing that I can see that I can do vis a vis my broken phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Is not having your contacts backed up to Google even possible on a modern android phone?

when you first set it up it asks if you want to back up contacts and app data to google servers, you can uncheck the box and then it wont. they're checked by default tho so you have to consciously choose not to

you can also go to the google account in settings and deselect the various things it syncs there

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to bet Samsung syncs them to their own dumb contact service by default?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think Tunga's right and the first thing Samsung does is break the best and most useful features in Android. To be fair, Samsung users do not deserve nice things so it's okay.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, Samsung users do not deserve nice things so it's okay.

It's this kind of helpful and mature comment that keeps me coming back to this forum.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's this kind of helpful and mature comment that keeps me coming back to this forum.

Here's a helpful comment: store as much as you can in the cloud so you don't have to worry about something like your phone breaking wiping out your contacts or photos from the last 5 years or whatever. It's too late right now, of course, but save yourself from going through it again in the future.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Supposedly Samsung Kies can pull the contacts off your phone? No idea if it would work in your case but it's probably worth a shot.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

RVProfootballer posted:

Here's a helpful comment: store as much as you can in the cloud so you don't have to worry about something like your phone breaking wiping out your contacts or photos from the last 5 years or whatever. It's too late right now, of course, but save yourself from going through it again in the future.

Yep, I know and admitted it was dumb (really dumb) to not have them backed up. I have saved my photos, it's only my contacts not backed up and it's not even like me, as my wife pointed out. Still, here I am. I have so much on my plate at the moment this is the last thing I needed, hence trying to find some help on one of the more knowledgeable forums I know of.

From a thread on the Android Central forums it seemed my best bet was to try Smart Switch. Sadly when I connected it said I need to enable USB File Transfer on the phone to continue, which I can't do. Looks like I might be re-entering them on a new phone by hand. :sigh:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Supposedly Samsung Kies can pull the contacts off your phone? No idea if it would work in your case but it's probably worth a shot.

Kies won't work with the S6 or didn't last time I tried it - it tells you to use Smart Switch instead. Which almost worked, except it didn't quite.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 22, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you had a Droid Turbo, but could move to Turbo 2 for free (no cost, no plan changes, no contract, etc) would you?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

XIII posted:

If you had a Droid Turbo, but could move to Turbo 2 for free (no cost, no plan changes, no contract, etc) would you?

I moved from a turbo to a 5x. No regrets. But personally I'm trying to avoid all carrier branded phones.

I would but what's the catch?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'd rather have a 6P (or maybe even a 5X), but a family member has a Turbo 2 I can have. It's either swap to the 2 and sell my Turbo or sell the 2, pocket a little more cash, and keep mine.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Sell both and buy a 5x for $200 bucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

gently caress, so I've bent and thus screwed up the screen on my S6 Edge, can only see about the top third of it. I basically can't navigate or do much using the actual phone. I might try and repair it or just buy a replacement (as I don't like it anyway). Problem is I stupidly haven't got my contacts backed up, and they are stored on the phone. I can connect to Airdroid, but that seems to have no contacts backup.

Is there some way of backing up my contacts entirely via my PC, with the phone connected either via cable or wifi, so I can transfer them to a new phone?

Use the google play store to remotely push Vysor to your phone, install it on your PC, use phone from computer?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I ordered that Anker Powercore charger that's been recommended a few times in this thread, but uh...I didn't realize how drat big it was and I was kind of looking for something a little more portable. I really just need something toss in my bag for the occasional days when I need to top off my 5X.

Is there something smaller with USB-C ports and quick charging that you guys have had good experience with? It seems like the none of the smaller capacity/form factor power banks I can find support USB-C.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 22, 2016

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there a way to sync iCloud calendars to my phone? My wife and I typically use iPhones and have a shared cal for our family but I'm a nerd and threw my sim back in my old 2013 Moto X for a little change but I'd like to still be able to access that calendar. I could get it in the outlook app but it was unreliable and wouldn't show everything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A helpful tip for the future is that Samsung does dumb things so you'll need to double check every setting in case they disabled something fundamental like contact sync. Or just don't patronize bad companies, your call.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

MikeJF posted:

Use the google play store to remotely push Vysor to your phone, install it on your PC, use phone from computer?

A nice idea in theory, though having looked into it you don't install Vysor on your phone, just your PC, but you need USB Debugging enabled on the phone, which it isn't in this case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Contacts synced to Google just fine by default on the multiple Samsung devices I've had so I'm not sure why the hate :shrug:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A nice idea in theory, though having looked into it you don't install Vysor on your phone, just your PC, but you need USB Debugging enabled on the phone, which it isn't in this case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just so I'm clear, the top third of your screen is both visible and responds to touch, but the rest is blank and doesn't respond to touch? Does your home button still work?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Any advice for a new phone? I'm on Sprint.

I like my current LG G2's double-tap and quick window features, but those are bonuses. I'm otherwise looking for a screen size no bigger than 5.2in, with speakers that aren't on the bottom (I hate having to hold the phone in landscape mode in a particular way so my hands don't block the speakers. It's tiring after a couple minutes), and a call volume that doesn't force me to use headphones in anything other than a perfectly silent room. I need removable storage, since I'm drat tired of reaching the point where I need to factory reset my phone and realizing I'm going to have to painstakingly re-add my music—in a specific order, too, because I heavily use the auto-generated "recently added" playlist. (And no, The Cloud (TM) is not an option; I live in a lovely small town where even 3G is sometimes barely there, and my bus passes through the occasional total dead zone.) I'm also concerned about build quality, since my G2's audio jack broke two years in so I can only get sound out of one side of my earphones. (I've been forced to use my old 2010-era Epic 4G is a music player. Its audio jack works just fine after six years...) I don't care about removable batteries, since I carry around an external battery pack anyways, and price isn't a big deal—I can afford an expensive phone just fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Curvature of Earth posted:

Any advice for a new phone? I'm on Sprint.

I like my current LG G2's double-tap and quick window features, but those are bonuses. I'm otherwise looking for a screen size no bigger than 5.2in, with speakers that aren't on the bottom (I hate having to hold the phone in landscape mode in a particular way so my hands don't block the speakers. It's tiring after a couple minutes), and a call volume that doesn't force me to use headphones in anything other than a perfectly silent room. I need removable storage, since I'm drat tired of reaching the point where I need to factory reset my phone and realizing I'm going to have to painstakingly re-add my music—in a specific order, too, because I heavily use the auto-generated "recently added" playlist. (And no, The Cloud (TM) is not an option; I live in a lovely small town where even 3G is sometimes barely there, and my bus passes through the occasional total dead zone.) I'm also concerned about build quality, since my G2's audio jack broke two years in so I can only get sound out of one side of my earphones. (I've been forced to use my old 2010-era Epic 4G is a music player. Its audio jack works just fine after six years...) I don't care about removable batteries, since I carry around an external battery pack anyways, and price isn't a big deal—I can afford an expensive phone just fine.

Source your quotes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Contacts synced to Google just fine by default on the multiple Samsung devices I've had so I'm not sure why the hate :shrug:

Just general Samsung hate. 90% of the time when something goes wrong on a Galaxy it's becuase Samsung tried to replace a well-ish-designed and functional Google thing with their own half-arsed bullshit, so we just assume now.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Unless you can figure out how to enable USB debugging, most of our solutions won't work, I suspect. Sorry.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 23, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A longshot but how did you get your contacts on to the phone? Obviously you didn't do it the normal way via Google so they must have come from somewhere else. Can you do that again?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a tablet with an HD IPS screen and takes full size SD card(s) as a media player.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a tablet with an HD IPS screen and takes full size SD card(s) as a media player.

That last one probably isn't going to exist in the Android space. Micro, baby.

Aside from that, any hints to your target size and price range?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MikeJF posted:

That last one probably isn't going to exist in the Android space. Micro, baby.

Aside from that, any hints to your target size and price range?

Not sure about size as I don't have any experience with different tablet sizes. I want to use it to watch movies in bed, in car, on plane, etc. Price, less than $400 not including additional storage. Also would need enough CPU power to decode straight BD rips.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Is there a way to sync iCloud calendars to my phone? My wife and I typically use iPhones and have a shared cal for our family but I'm a nerd and threw my sim back in my old 2013 Moto X for a little change but I'd like to still be able to access that calendar. I could get it in the outlook app but it was unreliable and wouldn't show everything.

This was posted in 2014, so no idea if it still works, but there does appear to be CalDAV support in iCloud.

http://computing.physics.harvard.edu/icloud

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure about size as I don't have any experience with different tablet sizes. I want to use it to watch movies in bed, in car, on plane, etc. Price, less than $400 not including additional storage. Also would need enough CPU power to decode straight BD rips.

An old surface (not rt), maybe?
Idk what's needed to play bluray rips, I watch blurays on TVs with a player.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just so I'm clear, the top third of your screen is both visible and responds to touch, but the rest is blank and doesn't respond to touch? Does your home button still work?

Home button works, and the top third of the screen was visible and responsive, but now it seems the whole screen is kaput.

LastInLine posted:

A longshot but how did you get your contacts on to the phone? Obviously you didn't do it the normal way via Google so they must have come from somewhere else. Can you do that again?

I used Smart Switch to move them from my old phone. I don't have the PC used for that any more, though,

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Home button works, and the top third of the screen was visible and responsive, but now it seems the whole screen is kaput.

I used Smart Switch to move them from my old phone. I don't have the PC used for that any more, though,

Well, assuming you're not on an MVMO carrier like Cricket, you could try taking it to your carrier and see if they have tools to extract your contacts. I'm not sure if they can do that without a working screen though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm torn between getting an Anker 26000mAh power bank for £34, or 20000mAh one but with USB-C for £38. I'm trying to work out whether the faster charging speed will be worth the slight extra cost and lower capacity. Does anyone know how big the speed difference will be? Since even the non-USB-C bank can deliver 2.4A on a port, I'm wondering if there will be that big a difference. Since my use case is likely to include quick pit-stops to charge up the phone on camping trips as well as just putting it on to charge overnight, that extra speed might be really useful if it's significantly faster.

I asked before, but is there a power bank thread?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Google Contact photos work just fine. I've just made peace with the fact that Marty McFly occasionally goes back in time and narrowly averts preventing everyone I know from being born.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I was planning on stretching my 2013 Moto X out until this year's Nexus phones or something, but mine has just turned into a poo poo show of lag.

I think I'll do the Project Fi $200 5X thing and then cancel Project Fi. It will work fine on AT&T as long as I go get a nano SIM, right?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

I was planning on stretching my 2013 Moto X out until this year's Nexus phones or something, but mine has just turned into a poo poo show of lag.

I think I'll do the Project Fi $200 5X thing and then cancel Project Fi. It will work fine on AT&T as long as I go get a nano SIM, right?

Yes. You can either pay off the phone in its entirety or keep doing your payments without Fi service.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How do I disable audible notifications for everything except texts?

It gets annoying hearing beeps for tweets and junk mail.

Also Android has the worst predictive text ever. Wow it is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

lite_sleepr posted:

How do I disable audible notifications for everything except texts?

It gets annoying hearing beeps for tweets and junk mail.

Also Android has the worst predictive text ever. Wow it is bad.

You'll need to go into each app and adjust the notification settings.

Try out SwiftKey for a keyboard. Its predictions seem better. It'll learn as you use it, too.