Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The guy that did the infamous Captain America "do you think this A stands for France?!" comic probably had a raging boner when Ma Kent told Superman "gently caress humans, don't help those working class scum".

That guy was Mark Millar, just so you know, and he's been the creative consultant for the X-Men line of movies at Fox since 2012. Also, he worked on the Fantastic Four movie since it was based off his Ultimates work.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
See if Zack Snyder had somehow been chosen to direct the Captain America/Avengers films, that is the version he would have jumped on.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Flesh Forge posted:

See if Zack Snyder had somehow been chosen to direct the Captain America/Avengers films, that is the version he would have jumped on.

Remember before CA: The First Avenger everyone was worried that the movie would be some fascist, militaristic, nationalist propaganda and they predicted it would kill the future Avengers movie to have him in the group because it would ruin international sales?

That fear is literally exactly what Zack Snyder would have delivered. And Captain Ubermensch would have smothered the MCU in its crib.

Luckily Marvel went with actually understanding their characters before putting them on film and everything worked out.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Remember before CA: The First Avenger everyone was worried that the movie would be some fascist, militaristic, nationalist propaganda and they predicted it would kill the future Avengers movie to have him in the group because it would ruin international sales?

That fear is literally exactly what Zack Snyder would have delivered. And Captain Ubermensch would have smothered the MCU in its crib.

Luckily Marvel went with actually understanding their characters before putting them on film and everything worked out.

Captain America would have been leading the firebombing of Japan. At one point Curtis LeMay would have ordered him to bomb a Chinese city on accident and Cap would have looked directly at the camera to say "Ok Sir, I can't tell the difference between them anyways."

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Captain America would have been leading the firebombing of Japan. At one point Curtis LeMay would have ordered him to bomb a Chinese city on accident and Cap would have looked directly at the camera to say "Ok Sir, I can't tell the difference between them anyways."

i would watch this film

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can anyone really when you get right down to it?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cap finds the camp of extremely well cared for Jews outside of a German town. "America must be kept in the dark" he says solemnly while whipping his shield through the bodies of townsfolk.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Unrelated, but I saw CW picked up Supergirl from CBS? I think that's good. Supergirl's pilot was uneven and I got the sense it didn't have the best of focus, but Melissa Benoist seemed like a fun Supergirl and I think the show will have more focus and polish there.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
About to go watch Civil War. Waiting in line for my ticket is already more exciting than BvS.

E: everyone has clear motivation, I can see the action and the conversations are naturally delivered.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 19, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

E: everyone has clear motivation, I can see the action and the conversations are naturally delivered.

this should be par for the course for every comic book movie.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cap finds the camp of extremely well cared for Jews outside of a German town. "America must be kept in the dark" he says solemnly while whipping his shield through the bodies of townsfolk.

This is a real thing that Marvel has recently added to Cap's design (a shield for chopping dudes in half)

Not a joke

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

this should be par for the course for every comic book movie.

He meant the standing in line part

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Flesh Forge posted:

Can you imagine that any writer ever involved with Superman or Batman in all of comics history watched MOS or this film and thought "gently caress yeah I wish I'd done it this way!!"

Mark Waid did a great piece on his experience of watching MOS.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

He meant the standing in line part

Bingo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Freestyle posted:

Wow, I'm really surprised he let the film off the hook for how it treated Pa Kent, specifically he forgave the "Maybe" exchange.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'd be interested to see how he reacted to ghost dad's "heroism is nothin but a bunch of horse drowning" in the new one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freestyle posted:

lmao this guy is retarded.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Otisburg posted:

I'd be interested to see how he reacted to ghost dad's "heroism is nothin but a bunch of horse drowning" in the new one.

I thought that was more "doing the right thing usually has negative consequences" but I liked ghost dad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Otisburg posted:

Or Supermom's "You don't owe these people a drat thing, you never did" which is like the "Maybe" conversation if it had terminal cancer caused by the massive steroids it's been on since the first film

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a guy who wrote about superman defended pa kent and pa kent's death in man of steel. lollll

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

In BvS, Superman isn't just reluctant to save people. He actively hates it. It's like a terrible burden on him - he'd rather not save anyone. It's like his horrible sisyphean duty - he has to play nice and pretend to care about these tiny human creatures. All he wants to do is gently caress Amy Adams. Not Lois Lane, mind you - he doesn't give two shits about Lois Lane, there's barely even the semblance of a character there - he just likes Amy Adams.

It's kind of like the beginning of Hancock, but with a superhero with no charisma.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ashpanash posted:

In BvS, Superman isn't just reluctant to save people. He actively hates it. It's like a terrible burden on him - he'd rather not save anyone. It's like his horrible sisyphean duty - he has to play nice and pretend to care about these tiny human creatures. All he wants to do is gently caress Amy Adams. Not Lois Lane, mind you - he doesn't give two shits about Lois Lane, there's barely even the semblance of a character there - he just likes Amy Adams.

It's kind of like the beginning of Hancock, but with a superhero with no charisma.

just remember that snyder is a card carrying ayn randian objectivist and it'll all make sense

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ashpanash posted:

In BvS, Superman isn't just reluctant to save people. He actively hates it. It's like a terrible burden on him - he'd rather not save anyone.

Well it's not really his fault, in MoS when he saves a busload of kids from certain death his dad chews his rear end for it. He's trained from a young age to let unimportant people die. Also that everyone is unimportant people including dear old Pa.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Well it's not really his fault, in MoS when he saves a busload of kids from certain death his dad chews his rear end for it. He's trained from a young age to let unimportant people die. Also that everyone is unimportant people including dear old Pa.

But of course he's not really conflicted about it, because Henry Cavill can't act for poo poo. (Or Snyder is a terrible director of actors, take your pick.) He just accepts it and mopes about it. He's like Super Charlie Brown. Good grief.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Flesh Forge posted:

Then his mother in this film: "You don't owe this world a thing."

It's difficult to imagine worse parents for Superman.

ashpanash posted:

But of course he's not really conflicted about it, because Henry Cavill can't act for poo poo. (Or Snyder is a terrible director of actors, take your pick.) He just accepts it and mopes about it. He's like Super Charlie Brown. Good grief.

I've heard Cavill isn't too bad in some other films, so I'll assume it's Snyder.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Man this is like every Snyder meme condensed

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can't help it if your boy fits a pattern.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

some dude in my facepage feed whos been carrying this movies water since release suggested the understated "he killed my mom" line from civil war should have been recieved by audiences as exactly the same absurdity as batfleck bellowing about martha, but marvel fanboys give it a pass.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hmm, yes. I see how those two revelations given in the context of their respective scenes and given the development in the movies for the characters involved :swirls brandy glass: FAAART!

"You have a mom too? Let's be buds!" Certainly feels the same as "I had just now renewed my trust in you, a good friend of mine, and extended faith in your judgement that this dangerous criminal I've been relentlessly pursuing is trustworthy despite his past. Only now, I've just found out that you, my friend, knew that my parents were assassinated and didn't die in an accident as I have believed my entire life but you withheld this information from me for years. To make matters worse, this criminal you assured me was on the level has turned out to be my parents' killer. I am understandably quite upset at this news."

E: it's not like Civil War is high art, but it's almost farcical how well it handles roughly the same themes as compared to BvS. Maybe DC is trying a Producers-style gambit and they actually made Springtime For Hitler unwatchable.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 22, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

some dude in my facepage feed whos been carrying this movies water since release suggested the understated "he killed my mom" line from civil war should have been recieved by audiences as exactly the same absurdity as batfleck bellowing about martha, but marvel fanboys give it a pass.

Which one of your dumb friends is this?

Also Deadpool outgrossed BeaViS.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Otisburg posted:

Your friend is really dumb

e: or "friend" since facebook
I'm not sure you could have two scenes be more diametrically opposed to one another. Does he explain why it should be seen as absurd or does his logic stop at 'protagonists talking about their parents' = 'same'

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 22, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Just one of those acquaintances one accumulates, friend-of-a-friend type thing.

A sampling:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do people realize the only people defending the movie are "fanboys"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

do people realize the only people defending the movie are "fanboys"

Yeah it's laffo that people think hating this makes you a "marvel fanboy"

I grew up wearing out several superman costumes. my pal Jonus probably has a batman buttplug. we agree that this is a bad movie, because it is bad, even though it has the names of two characters we like in the title.

conversely the marvel movies, while having characters i'm less passionate about, are generally at least generally enjoyable to watch and don't poo poo all over cherished characters, even if they are often predictable, risk-averse pap they aren't like, actively appalling like this lovely prolapse of a film

tbh if any label fits i'm a superman fanboy who would like to see a superman movie featuring a recognizable superman, something we last had a decade ago when we thought the worst it could get was the hokey sort of stalkery but generally good-natured love letter to the donner films with routh

it's kind of sad that dc can't even reach for that really low ceiling of "good by the standards of children's costumed superhero movies."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"He killed my mom", wasn't the culmination of two hours of complete bullshit either.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Only us brilliant film aristocrats enjoy Batman, the most well known and popular character on earth next to Jesus and Spiderman."

*eats own turds out of the toilet*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The people defending this movie should be put on the electric chair.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you want people who like a movie to die maybe you should go and kill them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good idea thanks man

• Locked thread