Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hey Oxphocker/Hoboknife next time you're online can you make a bunch of us into officers please, (like I dunno, anyone who's level 100 or who's been in the kin a year or some other arbitrary measure, noting that I've intentionally chosen arbitrary marks that would allow me, Gracia, to be an officer, because shut up that's why) so it's easier for us to recruit peeps into the kin, OK thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Also make me, Edheladan, an officer. Mostly because I crave authority and would make poor decisions with said authority.

And also the inviting people thing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Man, you make one joke about Arwin and Eowyn kissing and world chat goes insane.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CobiWann posted:

Man, you make one joke about Arwin and Eowyn kissing and world chat goes insane.

Making world chat is pretty easy to do but happens often enough that you should be kind :(

If anyone has some free time please check all your characters for 'frosty beverages' or if you somehow drank 300 of them and have the skill, post that characters name here. Once we have enough of these we were meeting up on a cliff, across from a river you swim from near the giant trolls who protect the gate to Mordor. Do not ask questions, just find 'frosty beverages' that were purchasable during the winter festival and make you jump..very high.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Hey Oxphocker/Hoboknife next time you're online can you make a bunch of us into officers please, (like I dunno, anyone who's level 100 or who's been in the kin a year or some other arbitrary measure, noting that I've intentionally chosen arbitrary marks that would allow me, Gracia, to be an officer, because shut up that's why) so it's easier for us to recruit peeps into the kin, OK thanks for reading.

Back when my Burglar was my main, she was given officer. I was told at the time that I was only allowed to have officer on one of my characters. I went back to my Guardian as the main character and would have to switch characters to invite someone. Hopefully we can get rid of that dumb rule and just let everyone that has officer status have it for any characters on their account they want to have it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Does LotRO have some kind of limitations on how many officers you can have? I think I've played some games where you could only promote a certain percentage of your group or something.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hobo just made every character that was logged in the last week an officer. Officers all the way down.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

extra stout posted:

If anyone has some free time please check all your characters for 'frosty beverages' or if you somehow drank 300 of them and have the skill, post that characters name here. Once we have enough of these we were meeting up on a cliff, across from a river you swim from near the giant trolls who protect the gate to Mordor. Do not ask questions, just find 'frosty beverages' that were purchasable during the winter festival and make you jump..very high.

Alright I'll follow up on this: The big jump from drinking these is supposedly the only way to climb the mountain and see the current version of Minas Morgul that is in the game. There is a patch tomorrow morning which may remove this method, but is probably focused on bugfixes or balancing or maybe even the raid if it's early. If a GM is still there they are supposedly kicking people out but I don't think there's any real punishment.

The flash sale of today is half off most the mounts in the game.

Someone who claims to be from the player's council told me Shelob is a raid being tested now, as the next raid and I would guess final one of 2016. Very cool if true.

And finally: Here's a text summary of the many hour long twitch video where everyone asked the devs a lot of questions. Minas Morgul unsurprisingly confirmed but not until sometime after 18.2, Mordor is within a year, 105 will be the level cap for at least another 6 months, LIs will never be above 100 or need to be replaced again just upgraded more, and some kind of live events will be added soon.

http://dadislotroguides.com/9th-anniversary-twitch-stream-summation/

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

extra stout posted:

For the next 21 hours as of this post 35 percent off Gift and Blessing of The Valar is the flash sale. Logged in to a 105 so I can't see them, will check on my alt in a bit to see the cost. One is 1-95 and the cheaper one is 50-95. I'm normally against that idea but I keep winning 1600 TP giveaways on twitch and it's really tempting. Having a healbear in the kin would be pretty amazing. I know we're always set on DPS so more heals or a tank would be nice.

I am playing a Beorning and plan on him being primarily a healbear, am only level 79 atm but actively levelling. My timezone sucks balls though.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

And finally: Here's a text summary of the many hour long twitch video where everyone asked the devs a lot of questions. Minas Morgul unsurprisingly confirmed but not until sometime after 18.2, Mordor is within a year, 105 will be the level cap for at least another 6 months, LIs will never be above 100 or need to be replaced again just upgraded more, and some kind of live events will be added soon.

http://dadislotroguides.com/9th-anniversary-twitch-stream-summation/

I've wondered for years if they were planning on putting Northern Mirkwood into the game. I guess a "maybe" is better than nothing. Interesting that they say "post Mordor" so it appears they definitely have plans beyond the next year or so. That would hint that they may be expecting the license to get renewed again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never understood why the development team all use stupid nicknames.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sassassin posted:

I've never understood why the development team all use stupid nicknames.

Good insight, sassassin.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

I've wondered for years if they were planning on putting Northern Mirkwood into the game. I guess a "maybe" is better than nothing. Interesting that they say "post Mordor" so it appears they definitely have plans beyond the next year or so. That would hint that they may be expecting the license to get renewed again.

I'm no prophet all we know is it seems like it'll be Minas Morgul --> Who knows ---> Black Gate, then I imagine the burning of the Shire will be an epic quest, then the content after that would probably be Northern Mirkwood or Erebor, wouldn't doubt if both come out.

Also the patch notes are up, servers came up early, a lot of slayer deeds that were ridiculous numbers like 250-360 were reduced to 100-150, so log in your mains, I got about 150 TP for free.

Guardian redline got some kind of small nerf, seems like once we get the burglar buff classes might all have their own jobs they do again and not all of the roles or none of the roles. Just keep beorning OP forever, please.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7594915#post7594915

edit

Also the daily flash sale on horses w/ big shiny armor is over, an underwhelming sale for half off additional milestone skills has begun!

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 16, 2016

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

ruffz posted:

It is one of the more profitable western MMOs, there have been a lot of expensive flops. I doubt there would be a long list of people wanting to bankroll a new expensive MMO any time soon, it is basically a license to print money, not a ton of money but a steady stream of money with little in the way of risk. I would be surprised if the game didn't continue to go on for quite some time.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

extra stout posted:

I'm no prophet all we know is it seems like it'll be Minas Morgul --> Who knows ---> Black Gate, then I imagine the burning of the Shire will be an epic quest, then the content after that would probably be Northern Mirkwood or Erebor, wouldn't doubt if both come out.

I think there are a lot of interesting regions they could add to the game beyond Mordor, a lot depends on what they plan to focus their energy on. I think the game is too linear, I know the passage of the ring is linear and the game follows it but I think beyond Mordor it seems a bit weird to follow the linear model.

I am not sure what scope they would have to rejig some mechanics, but I think eventually it would be best for the the game if it incorporated something similar to GW2 in which the content naturally scales and the zones don't have a fixed level of difficulty. It would be weird if you got to significantly outlevel Mordor and plow through it ez-mode.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The lands sound of Gondor would be content they could have near-free reign to do whatever. North Mirkwood and Erebor, with some further expansion over to Rhun.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I know we don't have many 105s still but it's only a 6 man run and /world is always running this, if anyone wants to learn the main end game boss farm that does not require much strategy or gear as the T2 challenges, be online tonight. I'm thinking 10 pm eastern, but can change it based on who's around.

Also if sometime before that anyone wants to level their alts or low leveled mains I'll be doing 30-35 or so content, skirmishes instances or whatever. Just post a name here or just be online!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I logged into 4 of my characters and got a total of 210 TP for completed slayer deeds, pretty nice. Then I notice Far Anorien is 1995 TP :argh:

I guess they're forcing people to pay for the future raid with Far Anorien, whether or not people plan on actually raiding.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

I logged into 4 of my characters and got a total of 210 TP for completed slayer deeds, pretty nice. Then I notice Far Anorien is 1995 TP :argh:

I guess they're forcing people to pay for the future raid with Far Anorien, whether or not people plan on actually raiding.

I don't know how much I made but about 600 shy. I'm gonna take my RK through Trollshaws and Misty Mountains. However, at a pathetic level 30 I will definitely need help. Mind you I don't rush quests I like reading the text...

extra stout posted:

I know we don't have many 105s still but it's only a 6 man run and /world is always running this, if anyone wants to learn the main end game boss farm that does not require much strategy or gear as the T2 challenges, be online tonight. I'm thinking 10 pm eastern, but can change it based on who's around.

Also if sometime before that anyone wants to level their alts or low leveled mains I'll be doing 30-35 or so content, skirmishes instances or whatever. Just post a name here or just be online!

Was that you I ran across last night?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Was that you I ran across last night?

I'm everywhere on this video game and I look over all of you like my children, this weeks code is

SASDBX1

And it's for a skill/slayer deed booster scroll

edit

Here's a forum post
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?622897-5-20-6-1-2016-Online-offer-maintenance

I think it means from now on any expansion pack codes or TP codes or whatever can all be used in the store instead of some having to be used on the my account website.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 20, 2016

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Those of you who have leveled alts recently: how much has SoA content changed since 2010? Does it still retain the magic that made vanilla LOTRO so compelling? Are there many people in the Kin leveling through old content?

The reason I ask is that I keep getting drawn back into the game, but I end up getting bored or frustrated with the questing content. It feels like I'm doing the same quest over and over again in RoR/HD and I'm wondering if I should just sate my nostalgia by leveling an alt. I have very limited time (being a father, teacher, and coach year round), so I'm trying to figure out where my time is best spent. I haven't gotten to Gondor yet, which is the only thing keeping me in late game.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It wouldn't hurt to roll an alt and relive the SoA content. I think that the magic is still there for the most part.

Your current issue stems from the fact that both RoR and (especially)HD are almost universally considered to be sub-par content. Avoid Wildermore and Fangorn if you can. Paths of the Dead also sucks(it was a hugely wasted opportunity), but the game gets better almost the moment you step out into Gondor.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Definitely keep going, Gondor is pretty drat well done and is the best content they've put out since Moria. RoR was just bad. HD was a bit of an improvement but still not great.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cnidario posted:

Those of you who have leveled alts recently: how much has SoA content changed since 2010? Does it still retain the magic that made vanilla LOTRO so compelling? Are there many people in the Kin leveling through old content?

The reason I ask is that I keep getting drawn back into the game, but I end up getting bored or frustrated with the questing content. It feels like I'm doing the same quest over and over again in RoR/HD and I'm wondering if I should just sate my nostalgia by leveling an alt. I have very limited time (being a father, teacher, and coach year round), so I'm trying to figure out where my time is best spent. I haven't gotten to Gondor yet, which is the only thing keeping me in late game.

Yeah you'll want to get through to Gondor since it's worth while moves at a quick clip and the landscape is varied and cool. Just power through it bit by bit because making an alt (considering how cool those Eriador regions are) is good fun and all but it won't get you any closer to accessing Gondor.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cnidario posted:

That's a lot to summarize but since 2010 several of the SoA areas have been revamped, none of them really seem entirely different to me it's more like they upped some textures to look good on modern computers, added a few more horses (and more goats in Moria to help the easily lost out a bit), some questlines were updated.

A lot of the changes were to remove or fix things in the game that were broken or just considered too confusing for most, and after 9 years there are so many kinds of 'perks' and new character rewards, especially for old players, the general review of SoA is that it is very very well done with nice music but pretty easy to solo nowadays.

There are probably 50 goons with alts they play once a week, in terms of active alts in SoA it's mostly Ceardin and I playing at night right now, then a few level 100-105s.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They did revamps of almost every SoA zone within the past few years in order to streamline everything and fill in the quest gaps in the 40s. It'll probably seem very similar to how it was in 2010, though much less frustrating than it used to be in parts.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll probably try to get my foot in the door in Gondor and see how it goes and then get back into the early game. Man, thinking about those early game experiences is getting the nostalgia flowing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cnidario posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll probably try to get my foot in the door in Gondor and see how it goes and then get back into the early game. Man, thinking about those early game experiences is getting the nostalgia flowing.

I'm back for the first time since Mirkwood, and I am having an absolute blast. I'm level 37 and just now starting North Downs because I insisted on doing every deed in Bree and the Lone-Lands before moving on. Being so over-leveled means I'm seeing stuff I never would have seen just rushing through and means I can just run a Skirmish whenever I feel the need to level and get new gear (or get a GA run from high-level goons, thanks again!). The SoA revamp means you can just sit back and relax, there's no "rush to the end game" here like there was in World of Warcraft especially when deeds at any level give you TP...

My stepdaughter actually picked up the game this weekend. We're doing to run a Dwarf Champ (her) and a Dwarf Guardian (me). I spent last night making her purple armor/weapons up through level 30, even though she's going to out-level them so drat quick. :smith:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I get to feel dumb now because I gave away a good 6 or 7 of these almost entirely to goons who don't play except one, but if anyone gets any 100 first age symbols and wants to sell or trade them, let me know. Going for might/crit/morale two hander on my new bear, not going to settle for anything other than perfect and it'll cost me about 2000 gold that I no longer have with average luck at current prices.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I probably still have a few. I'll try to log soon and mail you one.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

I probably still have a few. I'll try to log soon and mail you one.

Yeeeeeeah. Let me know how many you have and if you'd trade/sell the rest. Going to try to deck out this bear. How have you been? Have seen you in a while, hope all is well and you come back for the raid.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Sent you 3 of them, I'm keeping a few for now in case I log back in more in the near future.

I'm doing fine here, it's just I'm super busy with school and my kid and working full time and all that life stuff you know :) I don't have much time left for gaming.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

Sent you 3 of them, I'm keeping a few for now in case I log back in more in the near future.

I'm doing fine here, it's just I'm super busy with school and my kid and working full time and all that life stuff you know :) I don't have much time left for gaming.

Hope that the busy life is good, thanks a ton that was very generous. You know if you come back next week or months from now I'll return the favor.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I'm about to hit level 100. Someone explain what I'm supposed to be doing re: legendary items because I have no idea how imbuing or any of that works

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Litany Unheard posted:

I'm about to hit level 100. Someone explain what I'm supposed to be doing re: legendary items because I have no idea how imbuing or any of that works

Get a level 3rd/2nd/1st age symbol, have the appropriate crafter craft it (will also cost some shards that can be bartered at the skirmish vendor, some supplies of that craft).

Rename it, give it a really cool name.

Upgrade it with a Crystal of Rememberance (most expensive kind in game,( have fun unless you've got the Helm's Deep deluxe/pre-order thing)
Upgrade it with 3 Star-Lit Crystals

Swap out the legacies until you have all the ones you want, best to finish tinkering with your build before you imbue. And unless I've forgotten something very important, you can imbue now. I think you want to max out each legacy with anfalas scrolls of empowerment before you imbue as well. If I remember it's not hugely important, but it saves you a ton more scrolls later as they count for more 'power' before imbueing than after or something like that.

edit

Even if you do this all right, imbueing just means you're now half done with maxing out a weapon, maybe more like a third. The good thing is 1-2 scrolls of empowerment drop every single time you run the featured instance, and you can easily find groups to run it at both 100 and 105 daily. So you will have 7-18 or so of these a week for free.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Drachen's first LI was named (something like) "The Cursed Axe What Brought Low Washington's Cherry Tree"

I haven't come up with a better name since. I would name it something serious, but then I wrote a character bio for my guy that explains why his name is "Dragon Fodder", and I don't think I could come up with a suitably Tolkienesque name.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Do they(or will they) have 105 lvl LIs, or is 100 the highest the system is going to go?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Thanks that was really helpful. Can anyone here craft 1st Age Lvl 100 spears/javelins?

And in other news, I was supposed to go to SF this weekend, but my friend is sick so I will instead be in Middle Earth. If you would like to pity me in person, my usual run is scheduled for :siren:tomorrow, Saturday, at 2 PM PST/10 PM GMT.:siren:

Brave New World posted:

Do they(or will they) have 105 lvl LIs, or is 100 the highest the system is going to go?

My understanding is they've said LIs will never go above 100. I think they're worried about a riot if everyone has to scrap the weapons they've put god knows how many hours into.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

extra stout posted:

Hope that the busy life is good, thanks a ton that was very generous. You know if you come back next week or months from now I'll return the favor.

I'm sure you will as you've already done that in the past :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Get a level 3rd/2nd/1st age symbol, have the appropriate crafter craft it (will also cost some shards that can be bartered at the skirmish vendor, some supplies of that craft).

Rename it, give it a really cool name.

Upgrade it with a Crystal of Rememberance (most expensive kind in game,( have fun unless you've got the Helm's Deep deluxe/pre-order thing)
Upgrade it with 3 Star-Lit Crystals

Use crystals on a 3rd age LI? Even on a 2nd age that's a waste.