Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Is True Detective season 2 that bad? (I haven't seen it yet). I just finished watching 1 and it was one of the best shows I've ever watched. Completely ridiculous and insane but great. Reminded me of peak X-Files in it being completely overwritten but somehow working anyways because of the performances.

Also lol at them just killing off Direwolves left and right because they can't do CGI I guess.

It's fairly mediocre imho, but since it followed a fantastic first season, it's hard to see it as anything but a major step back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

True Detective 2 has pretty cinematography, that's about it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Losing Fukunaga definitely hurt but it also turns out that having a guy like McConaughey was pretty integral to making Nicky Pizza's dialogue work. Vince Vaughn has a lot of the same overwritten kind of material to deliver but it just sounds silly coming out of his dumb face.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Youtube just suggested me this, the floaty floaty Tower of Joy fight legit looks better as a prequel lightsaber thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTJEZXtr94

I'll be honest, this scene was improved by the Wilhelm Scream.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I like Vince Vaughn but he's better in more non-serious roles, same with Colin Farrell really who is great in roles like In Bruges.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Speaking of good writing did any of you guys catch The Hollow Crown?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

El Hefe posted:

I like Vince Vaughn but he's better in more non-serious roles
I remember cracking up at a lot of his rection shots during this, it always felt like he was trying to ACT AT MAXIMUM CAPACITY

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 22, 2016

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Being better than season 5 is such a low hurdle that it shouldnt keep being trotted out as an excuse for this mediocre season.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Where can I find this?

i just posted them a page back

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

"The time has come ... The time for you to become me."

I really do think the Three Eyed Raven is Bran from the future now.

No you idiot.

Becoming him = becoming the Last Greenseer

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's amazing how much filler there is based on the full season spoilers but they want to reduce the episode order for future seasons.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Super.Jesus posted:

No you idiot.

Becoming him = becoming the Last Greenseer

That's the sane and obvious reading of that line, yeah. I didn't say it was a good idea or I wanted it to happen.

Time travel exists and "hold the door" is real so anything goes.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 22, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

BRIENNE: Can't you just send the Blackfish a raven?
SANSA: I don't want Ramsay intercepting it.

Wow Ramsay is even better than I thought

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Linguica posted:

BRIENNE: Can't you just send the Blackfish a raven?
SANSA: I don't want Ramsay intercepting it.

20 good men stood on each other's shoulders can reach any raven and snatch it from the sky.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

That's the sane and obvious reading of that line, yeah. I didn't say it was a good idea or I wanted it to happen.

Time travel doesn't exist.

The ink is dry. It's a self contained time loop. Anything you can do to influence the past, you have already done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's terminator 1 rules.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Linguica posted:

Theon shoots down all the ravens leaving the twins when Robb is trying to cross it in season 1

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ague Proof posted:

Btw, this is another thing which Preston Got Right, he said that based on previous grrm works time travel should be possible but only through transferring consciousness and not matter.

Assuming the whole hold the door thing is a grrm thing (which I'm starting to believe it is) I'd think that what happened is that through Brans powerful telepathic abilities and the fact that he existed simultaneously in both time periods both Hodors got their consciousness crossed and past Hodor got a vision of his dying moments coupled with Meera's scream, as a result his brain endures major trauma due to temporal fuckery.

It's actually not bad but it would imply that three eyed crow guy orchestrated the whole thing on purpose which seems like a lot of effort to make one tall guy regarded enough so he'd stay at winterfell his entire life.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TheRat posted:

Theon shoots down all the ravens leaving the twins when Robb is trying to cross it in season 1
You cannot possibly believe that is even remotely the same circumstances

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ramsay's 20 good men can cover the entire north and shoot down all ravens

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Linguica posted:

Both Riverrun and Castle Black are places where enemies of the Iron Throne and the North are known to be holed up, yes the line is a bit handwavey but it's not totally inconceivable that ravens would be intercepted coming to and from.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

episode was good but omfg summer died like a bitch

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Atreiden posted:

Ramsay's 20 good men can cover the entire north and shoot down all ravens

Uhh its obvious he has 20 good ravens snatching the notes from the other birds in mid air.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Linguica posted:

I believe sansa didnt want to risk it.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Assuming the whole hold the door thing is a grrm thing

https://ventrellaquest.com/tag/what-hodor-really-means/ APRIL 20, 2014 posted:

Martin: I always wanted to be an elevator operator. If the writing thing hadn’t worked out…

We both laughed and went on to our rooms.

The final time we ended up together, the conversation went like this:

Me: I finally figured out why you have a character named “Hodor.”

Martin: Oh?

Me: I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator. It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”

Martin: (laughing) You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

TheRat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 22, 2016

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

A bit confused...what's the connection between the three-eyed raven and the children of the forest? Is he one of them?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TheRat posted:

I believe sansa didnt want to risk it.

What would he do about it? Attack the Riverlands and run right into the knights of the Vale while leaving Winterfell undefended?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

What would he do about it? Attack the Riverlands and run right into the knights of the Vale while leaving Winterfell undefended?

Stop the raven from delivering the message, thus stoping/delaying Riverrun from helping.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

So, is this about deterrence or something? Children-made others come back around the same time as dragons.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Oliver Reed posted:

A bit confused...what's the connection between the three-eyed raven and the children of the forest? Is he one of them?

They're playing him.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
So, wait...why did everyone suddenly start calling him "Hodor" when they must've known his real name anyway?

I can't decide if the "Hold the door" reveal is brilliant or stupid, but it felt like a gut punch all the same - the dude's entire life got hosed over just so he could end up as a human barricade. The one consolation is the possibility of getting Zombie Hodor out of this.

I really hope they resist the temptation to use "Bran manipulates time" as an answer to why everything in the show has happened now, I feel like that would totally go against the grain of the story up to this point.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Watching the episode. I'm at the Kingsmoot part. It was just as dissapointing as I expected, not because of the spoilers, but due to it's late and rushed introduction.

While watching that part I couldn't help but think how hilarious it would have been if Euron had actually died from the drowning ceremony

"Welp, we killed our next ruler, and the only other candidate just fled"

Was the budget so bad that they couldn't even give Euron one or two crewmen? He walks into the Kingsmoot alone, and from the way he reacts when he resurrects, he is surrounded all by strangers. If I were an Ironborn, going from what the Kingsmoot was described to be like in the books, I would be unsurprised by the peasant who doesn't even seem to have a ship (there was no mention yet of Silence so far).

Heck from the way he phrases his travels around the world, he sounds like he was backpacking and sightseeing and not actually plundering and being a pirate. ShowEuron basically walked in all by himself, killed the previous ruler, admitted in killing the previous ruler and then asked them to give him an army.

edit: Actually he doesn't even get it, cause Theon and Yara stole "all their good ships" and he has to rebuild them. Of course, time lapses being more like a suggestion on this show he is probably gonna get his 1000 ships by next episode, but by real life time standards, by the time he finishes building even one single ship Theon and Yara would have arrived at Mereen, spilled the beans to Daenerys and be halfway back to Westeros with...ahahahaha just kidding she is never going to make it to Westeros.

Iron Island veredict: :flaccid: Which might be some sort of metaphor for Theon?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 22, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Castle Radium posted:

I really hope they resist the temptation to use "Bran manipulates time" as an answer to why everything in the show has happened now, I feel like that would totally go against the grain of the story up to this point.

Theres been people theorizing how a lot of stuff from the books happen as a result of people hearing the wind or something similar, and that Bran might have caused that. One of the examples being Jon finding the direwolves and/or Ghost.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Emilia Clarke watching the burnt down temple being like "Is this foreshadowing my career after the show is over?"

Edit:

WTF is this sequential logic?

- Jorah finds Tyrion. Plans to take him to Daenerys to earn her forgiveness
- Jorah gets infected by Greyscale. Keeps going with his original plan
- Jorah manages to deliver Tyrion to Daenerys. Daenerys shuns him away
- Jorah persists in staying with Daenerys.
- "You must send me away cause I have Fantasy AIDS"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 22, 2016

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Collateral posted:

Speaking of good writing did any of you guys catch The Hollow Crown?

I watched the Henry V part. Hiddleston was perfect for it

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, one of you assholes said in the spoilers "Daenerys cries" and I was "Oh poo poo she has more than one emotion? I must see this!".

Then the scene arrives...

Face of the worry...

Eyes start getting watery...

"Nah, I can't do this screw this poo poo! Engage badass mode"

I command you to heal!

gently caress YOU EMILIA CLARKE!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

Watching the episode. I'm at the Kingsmoot part. It was just as dissapointing as I expected, not because of the spoilers, but due to it's late and rushed introduction.

While watching that part I couldn't help but think how hilarious it would have been if Euron had actually died from the drowning ceremony

"Welp, we killed our next ruler, and the only other candidate just fled"

Was seriously expecting this to happen, it so would have been a Game of Thrones moment.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dongicus posted:

So, is this about deterrence or something? Children-made others come back around the same time as dragons.

They might be connected to the whole magic returning to the world, but the others was apparently created thousands of years ago, in the bronze age, when the first men fought a series of wars against the children

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how is everybody so stupid about the hodor thing

did any of you ever even understand a single time paradox movie before

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good episode. I just hate what the Children creating the White Walkers does to the story.

You know, this was one of those big secrets that kept making me coming back to the is poo poo book/show.

I am glad I don't have to wait till s7.

Also the Hound is loving back? I am in. HBO can have me subscription money.

also, did anybody in this thread guessed the "hold-door" thing? I am pretty impressed this was not an open secret.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Splendid posted:

I was kind of hoping the drowning had killed him and the rest of the Ironborn had just been all "Well, poo poo..."

Ya no wonder the Ironborn are so poo poo. Let's drown our prospective leaders this is a good plan.

Night King still best king. Please conquer all of Westoros and usher in 1000 years of a winter wonderland.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Did anyone complain about the wights crawling on the ceiling already?

The wights still look amazing and move really creepy. Love it.

• Locked thread