Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Actually I admit that I just misread coyo7e's post and got crossed up between the Wolf and Lydic segments. Sorry. Its an off day.

I agree that the Wolf standup was weird but I also stand by the idea that its growing pains and a random standup act feels similar in theory to a musical performance. But it would play better if it replaced an interview instead of one of the correspondent segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Wolf's just not that funny.

Jesus christ, I just watched last night's ep and that bit was sub-Nightly Show awful. Amish jokes? Yikes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Jesus christ, I just watched last night's ep and that bit was sub-Nightly Show awful. Amish jokes? Yikes.

Her delivery managed to be worse than the jokes, I can't remember anything she said but I do remember her mushmouthing her way through the whole thing.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Echo Chamber posted:

Both that Mom bit and the Kardashian bit were commentary on how society judges women for their decisions, whether you agree with them or not. It fits comfortably in Daily Show territory.

Won't lie. I just watched last night's episode and I already totally forgot what Michelle Wolf's segment was about.

For the two of you who still haven't seen this Stewart interview.

lol @ that goon at the end asking him about the louis ck masturbation door blocking internet thing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm finally catching up on this poo poo and I'm really enjoying Trevor Noah as the host, everyone said he was bad but I like him. Then again I also liked his stand up. But jesus, that Michelle Wolf bit in the recent episode. Not only did her jokes just have nothing to do with anything but her voice is the worst thing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This election has shown that Nate Silver can be as wrong as everyone else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think it's just that Trump's continued existence defies all logic and sense. He is anomaly made flesh.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

This election has shown that Nate Silver can be as wrong as everyone else.

Nostradamus and Jesus and all of Vegas could never have predicted that loving Trump would make it this far.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Republican primary candidates were the most embarrassing yet and Trump's image, rhetoric, and personality were perfect for reaching a whole bunch of demographics that had begun to check out of the GOP or had done so years ago (the young right, people who thought McCain and Romney lost because they were really liberals/centrists and wimps, people who care more about right economics than religious morality)

I saw it coming in 2015 and I'm sure plenty of other ppl did too

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Ultimately as much as it sounds like a broken record I once again chalk it up to the new show's growing pains.

I don't think you can call it a "new" show when its been on since September.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I laughed pretty hard during the Jordan Klepper interview last night.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
El Passion de Donaldo was entertaining but I'm not sure it can sustain a hundred more episodes.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Maybe I'll give it another go on Monday then

I get what you mean and got tired of the show for the same reasons. It's calmed down a lot from that but still isn't great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
CNN is more thin-skinned than Trump

If Trevor Noah keeps resisting taking shots at the cable news channels, I'll welcome Larry taking as many shots at CNN as possible.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Okay, seriously, where is this legendary Trump charisma that was supposed to be in that interview?

It's not his confidence since he's hems and haws whenever he is confronted on anything. Just calling everything "So good you guys" or "loser/bimbo" doesn't make for soaring rhetoric. Bullies and shock jocks have to be at least slightly witty. I've heard Newt Gingrich described as a dumb person's idea of what a smart person sounds like, which covers a lot of people, but Trump just sounds really dumb.

"How can you stay mad at that face?" *Looks at that face. Sees Tang-encrusted reverse-raccoon with puckered anus for a mouth and my cat's shed fur matted on his head.*

Am I going crazy? Am I like one of those people who actually sees Michelle Obama as ugly?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

Okay, seriously, where is this legendary Trump charisma that was supposed to be in that interview?

I'm with you man, I wasn't sure if they were taking the piss with that one because they seemed determined to convince the viewer that Trump is somehow charismatic and has gotten where he is for some reason other than "people stupidly trust those who have more money than them"

When he smiles it looks like a mangy hyena about to attack

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I definitely see the Trump charisma.

I remembered one of the panelists on Nightly describing him as the bully people liked back in high school, and I don't think that's far off of a description.

Trump ripping Jeb into shreds was huge guilty pleasure.

But the Megyn Kelly interview could be better explained as Fox finally rallying around nominee.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

We get it, TDS, you guys don't like Bernie and all his supporters are "bernie bros"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He shits on Hillary quite often too man.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't remember ever disliking a correspondent, let alone this much.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There hasn't been a lot of talk about what happened at Nevada on the comedy shows, they finally do talk about it, and it's a very lackluster pro-hiliary segment, the audience was dead silent for the whole thing and they never talked about -why- they were mad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

We get it, TDS, you guys don't like Bernie and all his supporters are "bernie bros"

Eh, they're not nearly as bad as Sam Bee about this.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

raditts posted:

Your candidate is bad and you should feel bad! : The Show

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I've avoided hating on how The Daily Show has handled the Sanders campaign. I'm usually the first guy that rolls his eyes whenever I see a lame "The Problem with Trevor Noah" thinkpiece.

I guess it's frustrating because I'll admit I turn to these comedy shows for catharsis, and hope that a funny guy can do a better job at unpacking what's going on than I can. But in the current climate in particular it feels like it's just pop culture gatekeeping what is and isn't okay in progressive politics.

Going by the comments here, I'm just going to skip the bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people are being oversensitive. Delusional Bernie supporters who won't admit this race is over or accuse Hillary of stealing the election or act petulantly is a thing that exists and its ripe to be mocked by the people who mock politics. It doesn't make all Bernie fans bad guys, and that segment was even presented as Roy White being the reasonable Bernie Supporter who thinks death threats are bad and it makes sense to support Hillary against Trump if it comes down to that.

As said, they mock Hillary too. Bernie supporters just don't mind that because its cathartic. And its totally reasonable that if you're intensely passionate about something that you're going to be bothered when TDS mocks aspects of it. But that's what they do and there's always someone in that position.

I mean, with Nevada there's another story about the stupidly of the primary caucus rules and bizarre rules that can be abused or confuse people. But these shows have covered that stuff in the early caucuses and "death threats" is a new story that stands out.

That segment was ok but it wasn't hilarious, mostly because the joke's been done plenty already. TDS was a little late to the "crazy Bernie supporter" gag. And I'm on the fence about the new lady. Can't tell if I like her or not.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Making fun of Bernie and his supporters is a punch down, especially considering everyone with eyes and ears knows that Hillary's the candidate and everyone's gonna vote for her, mostly grudgingly because wowzers she's a terrible loving candidate. Making fun of Hillary is a punch up considering she's the odds-on favorite hand-picked by the oligarchy and the literal rich cabal of people in power to be one of the two candidates we'll be allowed to vote for that have a realistic shot at winning the election.

Make fun of Bernie or his supporters if you want, but be aware it's a punch down and especially don't take the perspective that "Hillary's gonna be the candidate so stop expressing your dissent with how godawful, how absolutely loving horrifically awful of a candidate Clinton is". Because that's basically exactly what I get on my Twitter timeline from The Most Insufferable People Of All Time, Hillary supporters.

Again, I'm not a Bernie bro or what-the-gently caress ever, I don't tweet in support of him or work for his campaign. I'm not an idiot, I'm gonna be voting for her in November and I'm under no delusions she's the candidate - and will win. So telling me that just makes you one of the myriad smug assholes crowing about "party unity" or whatever the gently caress when the party I'm forced to ally with because the other side are Literal Fascists has hand-picked someone who is about to enable the continued corporate dominance of this shoddy impression of a democracy we call America. And if your ostensible comedy television program continues to hector me superliciously, reminding me what I already know to be true, you're a smug rear end in a top hat basically telling people to give up and not express their opinions.

Hope this helps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know, I feel like you can't really be "punching down" on a guy who basically made the 3rd best campaign to be the most powerful person in the world. By that logic making fun of Ted Cruz is punching down too, but we don't mind that because we all hate that fucker.

But with all due respect, I doubt we're going to find mutual ground just based on the fact that you seemed to be arguing with a lot of people other than me in that post.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Or, if you want to see actually good and prescient and funny comedic news coverage, here you go:

Here.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know, I feel like you can't really be "punching down" on a guy who basically made the 3rd best campaign to be the most powerful person in the world.

It betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the political system that you honestly think being third best in a race in a two-party system means jack or poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Toxxupation posted:

It betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the political system that you honestly think being third best in a race in a two-party system means jack or poo poo.

Bernie Sanders made a surprisingly strong showing in a primary that was never in his favor and fought nose to nose with Hillary for a good part of it. Even today he has a mathematical/technically correct argument that he could still win which is something none of us would have ever imagined 12 months ago. It just seems like a really high bar for the "punching down" idea.

But seriously, you seem super angry and it doesn't seem to be at me so I'm just bowing out because I have no desire to be the stand-in for "the most insufferable people of all time" to you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

Bernie Sanders made a surprisingly strong showing in a primary that was never in his favor and fought nose to nose with Hillary for a good part of it. Even today he has a mathematical/technically correct argument that he could still win which is something none of us would have ever imagined 12 months ago. It just seems like a really high bar for the "punching down" idea.

...because all of that means jack poo poo when the nominee won't actually do anything about the issues Sanders made central to his platform, at all, when she's elected president. And if you think Sanders' surprisingly strong showing means he'll effect any positive change at all within the people truly in power in either the DNC, the Democratic party in general, or the people who collectively made Clinton the nominee above the whims of the electorate you're more delusional than Bernie supporters. Support means nothing without power. Bernie has no power. The disenfranchised continue to be disenfranchised.

Again, hope this helps.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The segment was okay, but reading all the overreactions online made it retroactively hilarious. Well played, Daily Show.

Finally, progressive straight white dudes get to be the target of a punch down! About time!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't think you're arguing with me, Toxxuption. All I said was that if you run for President of the United States than you're fair game to be mocked by the people who do nothing but mock politics. That holds true as much for Bernie as it does Hillary, Trump, Cruz, or Lindsay Graham. TDS wasn't mocking transgendered people or the poor. I don't think "punching down" really applies in this case.

But obviously you disagree.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 21, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Making fun of the presidential campaign of a sitting US Senator who is still running for the position of Democratic Nominee is punching down?

How far up in the clouds are you living, man?

The problem with the sketch was that it wasn't funny and only weakly made any sort of point. Which is a shame because, aside from a couple weird camera angles, Trevor's first attempt at a segment long rant was pretty good.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
At first I though he missed the signal to switch cameras, but it being on purpose felt weirder. I guess they were trying to make the presentation more dynamic and dramatic, as the segment had some long monologues with fewer cutaways to talking heads saying stupid poo poo, but I thought the material and Trevor's delivery were both good enough to sustain the monologue without extra side shots.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
The Daily Show segments seem extra bad because Samantha Bee is absolutely killing it in every single episode of her show. Full Frontal is actually hilarious political satire and makes a point while being funny whereas TDS has no teeth at all and just seems like a crappy comedy variety show now. It's amazing how much better her show is compared to The Daily Show, and The Nightly Show doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Full Frontal. Oops. I liked W. Kamau Bell's comments about TNS on The Late Show and I hope Larry and Comedy Central execs were listening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnHg4NWnpZI

Toxxupation posted:

Or, if you want to see actually good and prescient and funny comedic news coverage, here you go:

Here.

Oh I see, when they make fun of your candidate it's not funny, but when they make fun of his opponent it's hilarious. Right, that's a totally unbiased opinion... And you really are delusional if you really think Bernie would be able to do anything about whatever "CORPORATE AMERICA OLIGARCHY RICH CABAL" bullshit you're ranting and raving about. STAC Goat was being completely reasonable and wasn't even arguing with you but you had to jump down his throat. I like Bernie's ideas too, but come on man. Painting Hillary as some rich people's fascist corporate puppet is the kind of thing TDS would mock Republicans for doing and it makes you look insane.

Hope that helps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I dunno, Full Frontal doesn't seem a whole lot of a departure from her Daily Show material. Which I mean is good, but not like mind blowing spectacular or anything. I rank her a close second to John Oliver. She does have the best remote bits though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

raditts posted:

I dunno, Full Frontal doesn't seem a whole lot of a departure from her Daily Show material. Which I mean is good, but not like mind blowing spectacular or anything. I rank her a close second to John Oliver. She does have the best remote bits though.

Her bit about Susan G. Komen funding drill tips for fracking was so great, though? I think Full Frontal is actually more biting than anything TDS did.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Her bit about Susan G. Komen funding drill tips for fracking was so great, though? I think Full Frontal is actually more biting than anything TDS did.

I don't know if I'd say biting so much as just angry some weeks. There are episodes where I find myself enjoying the whole show and others where the tone never quite sits right with me. The one where I first noticed it was the whole "we have 60 seconds to credits, an audience member stood up, let's make security and tazer jokes" episode.

That said, none of 'em* really feel like outright crap, so I tape 'em all and usually catch up on Fridays if I've nodded off during the week.

* I lied, Nightly still feels like crap when I catch it and go "wow me, Larry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Christmas posted:

Am I going crazy? Am I like one of those people who actually sees Michelle Obama as ugly?
She's a handsome woman, but that underbite is pretty hardcore, makes her look like she just stepped out of the boxing ring and hasn't spit out her mouthguard yet.

raditts posted:

I was listening to a recording of a bernie rally from the other day, and his supporters can be heard referring to each other as bernie bros.

Get over it.

• Locked thread