Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

How do you get that conduct message and what else does it tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Unless I miss my guess, that's wizmode.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sage Grimm posted:

Unless I miss my guess, that's wizmode.

winner winner chicken dr. brinner

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My HuFE found a book of Necromancy and was doing really well... until he turned a corner, ran into a hill giant, and suddenly stopped being so lucky.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Could I get some advice on this guy? DsNe of Kiku, just about to enter Lair. I've barely ever played Necromancers and I've never gotten this far with one (I don't think I've ever gotten this far with a Demonspawn either). Should I be focusing on melee now? Defenses? Wearing heavier armor?

My only wins are MiFi and HOPr, and I am out of my depth on non-melee fightmans.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

A little more into defenses wouldn't hurt. Necromancy does a good job at keeping you safe, though, so you don't have to go crazy with it. I wouldn't go for heavier armor just yet, you're strength is low and it will take a lot of investment to get good defenses out of it and keep your spells comfortably castable. Heavy armor and melee is absolutely a possibility for a necromancer, though. If that's the path you choose, I wouldn't invest any more into casting at all except maybe necro to 15 or so to use death channel or possibly simulacrum. Or you could go for more of a caster build and use necromancy for meat shields while relying on sublimation for MP recovery. If you go heavily into melee, you might consider switching away from short blades. They're not a terrible choice for necromancers because you can get minor stabs on distracted enemies, but a polearm is hard to beat for poking from behind your minions. If you decide to stay in light armor, getting some charms and other utility spells might also be a nice idea. Simulacrum, haste, and metabolic englaciation makes a really nice combo, for example. Throw in ozo's refrigeration if you've got the gear for it for even more fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like playing tengus(good conj apt, basically innate boots of running after a certain level) but then eventually something gives me a mean look and I keel over dead

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Is there a way to persuade jivya to not make my pretty much melee only troll as weak as a Deep Elf? Because that would be awesome. Str. is at 8 which is kind of ridiculous.

Edit Dead. I guess that's the Jivya life, was frustrating though to have a good start and then just get crippled by your god.

oneof3steves fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 22, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Jivya is kind of stupid, but what sort of armor are you wearing? I think that might factor into it, is jivya putting it all in dex?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So I'm playing a VSNe and I'm being chased by an adder, some orcs, Grinder and when I'm almost near the stairs hound shows up. I manage to climb up but I'm to 1 HP, being the dumbass I am and not identifying some of the many scrolls I have. So as a last ditch effort I drink the first stack of 2 potions I have... and it's experience. I decide to increase my Fighting to 10 which gives me tiny increase in current HP but I guess it's enough for me not to die. The next potion I drank was lignification which saved my rear end several times before.

I just love that you can find 2 pots of experience on D:3. I chose to increase several different skills instead of just one, not sure if it was the right decision in long term but there you go.

What is the ideal way of distributing the experience from 2 pots at such a low level?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The generic answer is "whatever you were training at the time."

A less generic answer is your main offensive skill or any of the defensive skills, depending on whether not dealing enough damage or taking too much damage is the bigger problem for you at the moment.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Just getting into crawl, I've been following character guides for beginners on the crawl wiki. I've lost two good characters now to entirely preventable deaths - a MiBe on Vaults 4 and a GaEE on Orc 2.

I'm sure if I played one of those two again I could probably work my way towards a win, but I want to try some other stuff. What are some good character/god combos that are relatively easy to 3-rune win with? I've heard stuff about SpEn's, Deep Dwarf ___ of Makhleb, Transmuters... are there any guides out there for these, or any other cool poo poo that I can play?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ignore all wiki guides and the wiki in general. The wiki is REALLY outdated.

Greyman
Apr 20, 2005

Seeing as I'm going to be spelling things to death anyway I think I'm just not going to put this weapon down ever.

Greyman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 22, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Greyman posted:

Seeing as I'm going to be spelling things to death anyway I think I'm just not going to put this weapon down ever.

nice sky weapon

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What is a sky weapon?

I've been rolling around with a +12 mace of draining since D6, and it's still better than my pile of great maces.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lol Jorgun with a wand of teleport owns. He keeps walking up to me with no health left and teleing himself out, then wrecking the whole dungeon on his way back.

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
I forgot to mention previously, but congrats to fellow Lean Mean Purple-Eating-Machine members fulsomfrank on the DsFi win and static on the HOMo win (not that there is anything wrong with that). Also, thanks to everyone involved in setting up the tournament.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
So I ended up starting a SpEn, and it's been fun so far. I've just cleared the Lair, and I feel like it's time to start branching out into other spell schools so I don't 100% rely on stabbing things. I picked Kiku as a god because I figured why not (I could get necro up and then pain brand my weapon), and I have access to low and mid level necromancy spells. I also have access to blink and repel missiles, although they are in completely different spell schools.

I guess my question is, how should I develop my character from here? Start going deep into necromancy? (If so, what are the best necro spells for a SpEn?) I'm not planning on doing 15 runes or anything like that, I still have yet to win a game.

Current character: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Sent/Sent.txt

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chukamok posted:

I forgot to mention previously, but congrats to fellow Lean Mean Purple-Eating-Machine members fulsomfrank on the DsFi win and static on the HOMo win (not that there is anything wrong with that). Also, thanks to everyone involved in setting up the tournament.

if we're talking about bad Crawl names, I just deleted a tournament screenshot of a ring I found named "Bint."

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

ThePineapple posted:

So I ended up starting a SpEn, and it's been fun so far. I've just cleared the Lair, and I feel like it's time to start branching out into other spell schools so I don't 100% rely on stabbing things. I picked Kiku as a god because I figured why not (I could get necro up and then pain brand my weapon), and I have access to low and mid level necromancy spells. I also have access to blink and repel missiles, although they are in completely different spell schools.

I guess my question is, how should I develop my character from here? Start going deep into necromancy? (If so, what are the best necro spells for a SpEn?) I'm not planning on doing 15 runes or anything like that, I still have yet to win a game.

Current character: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Sent/Sent.txt
You're a SpEn, you should have Blink and RMsl castable (possibly at a 20-30% rate) without any training and you have the apts to get both of them online quickly (+4 Tloc and Charms). You'll want to get enough Necro to get Dispel Undead online at the minimum, it's a solid spell. Animate Dead is also solid and Control Undead has some niche uses.

Spells you should get: Ozocubu's Armour, Regeneration, Tukima's, Dazzling Spray, possibly Agony and Death Channel later on. Corpse Rot is also good specifically with Kiku; just deliver some corpses, walk off them so you don't hit yourself and use it for free miasma clouds.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So I notice that there's more in game info on mindelay and skill necessary to negate penalties for shields. Very cool and good. Is there a chance we'll see something similar with armour skill any time soon? I honestly have no idea how much skill and strength I need to equip, say, plate without getting a lot of misses from it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I demand 3 stars of piety for monks that use a faded altar and that there be a faded altar in every game. Then I can play DsMo's for ever and refuse to make any decisions.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pun pundit posted:

So I notice that there's more in game info on mindelay and skill necessary to negate penalties for shields. Very cool and good. Is there a chance we'll see something similar with armour skill any time soon? I honestly have no idea how much skill and strength I need to equip, say, plate without getting a lot of misses from it.

The armor skill was changed a while ago so there's no longer a real "breakpoint" where you eliminate all penalties. It's more like dodging where you have to rely on some sort of vague heuristic over whether you have "enough".

I would definitely support "with your current strength and armor skill, this armor would penalize your evasion by X, your accuracy by Y, and your spellcasting by Z" though. It's a pain having to try on +0 armors in the early game to see whether they give better AC + EV than your current one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
As far as I'm concerned, if you have the strength for it(at least the same STR as the encumbrance penalty, maybe a couple more), and it doesn't make you unable to cast spells that you need, always always wear the heaviest armor possible, if armor enchants are equal. But if there's like a +3 chain or +5 ring mail, wear that instead of +0 plate.

Unrelated and might be just me, but even in a game like crawl it bothers me that the game calls it "chain mail" instead of just "mail", and that "ring mail" is something that exists(gently caress you, Samuel Rush Meyrick). I kinda feel like ring mail/scale armor should just be combined into 1 thing, scale armor, since there's only a 1 point base AC difference... I don't think there needs to be 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 base AC armors. Put ring mail in the dumpster with splint mail.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 22, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Managed to cram a stabber win in before the tournament ended: HaAs of Trog. First time I won a stabber that wasn't reliant on spells (for obvious reasons).

The game was a rollercoaster of feeling weak and feeling strong. I started off feeling unbelievably weak, considering my best weapon was a +0 venom dagger and thus I was probably doing more damage with the poison effect than with actual melee, it took an eternity to actually kill things.

Then I acquired a cloak of invisibility and got gifted a +7 quick blade, which immediately got branded to piercing. And shortly afterwards rebranded to elec. Suddenly I was no longer weak

It turns out the list of things that both 1. see invis and 2. have rElec is not very big at all, and the list of things that were actually significantly dangerous on top of those 2 qualities is really small.

I think the entire list of commonly seen 3-rune enemies fitting the first two consists of air elementals (the rest can't see invis), titans, golden dragons, tentacled monstrosities, bone dragons (pretty much vault only but odds are high you'll see at least one somewhere), demonic crawlers (if you roll Spider), ancient liches, electric golems, and orbs of fire. Everything else either lacked See Invis and was stabbed to death while they were incapable of fighting back, lacked rElec and were pretty much electrocuted in a matter of seconds because of how fast quick blades swing, or both and were dispatched of with 0 effort involved. Bonus points if I went berserk; it turns out that berserk + invis + quick blade = all the stabs in the world. All the various back-up plans I began working on like slings, needles, and evocations basically sat unused for most of the game.

THEN I hit Zot:$ and suddenly I was pulling out the rod of shadows, dropping BiA frequently, and generally using all the stuff I had been ignoring the rest of the game because it turns out that Zot:$ is full of ancient liches, electric golems, and orbs of fire.

Also, don't try to kill an orb of fire with just a +9 quick blade, even if you zerk. It takes forever and I'm amazed that I didn't get malmutated that entire game.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20160522-123936.txt

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

IronicDongz posted:

I kinda feel like ring mail/scale armor should just be combined into 1 thing, scale armor, since there's only a 1 point base AC difference... I don't think there needs to be 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 base AC armors. Put ring mail in the dumpster with splint mail.
As long as it gets ring mail's ER instead of scale's. There's rarely any reason to use scale over ring, since the AC gain/EV drop ratio is so bad.

pun pundit posted:

I honestly have no idea how much skill and strength I need to equip, say, plate without getting a lot of misses from it.
Do you have str equal to the armor's encumbrance rating? Wear it. The misses don't matter that much, especially once you're out of early game and start training armor.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Posting to ask advice about my current game: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/chamandro/chamandro.txt

It's a DrCj and I think this is the furthest I've gotten before on a spellcaster. I'm pretty deep into lair, but starting to run out of steam. I have a handful of lower level books (Fire, Poison, Necro, party tricks), there are some good spells available, but I feel like what I need now is something stronger. I can kill the hydras, death yaks, and elephants, but it generally takes battlesphere and a lot of plinking down with a smaller spell, which means a lot of time and most of my MP. Vehumet has Spellforged Servitor on offer now, but probably not for much longer. I'm not sure if that would be worth investing into the Summoning skill for, and I don't know how that spell works in general (is it basically just a better battlesphere?).

So my main questions are:

- should I get spellforged servitor?
- what skills should I train?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nogic posted:

Posting to ask advice about my current game: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/chamandro/chamandro.txt

a.) I'd find a safe spot and ID some scrolls. I dunno about others, but I save the ID scrolls for potions(/amulets) and read ID scrolls. Just make sure not to torment yourself with a hydra offscreen or something.
b.) Fireball, IMB and BATTLESPHERE (you gotta use all caps, man) are all really good workhorses for where you're at. I don't know a ton about Spellforged Servitor, but hopefully some attack spells from Veh soon.
c.) You're training some defenses which is good! I'd maybe just focus on them for just a bit - following the kill dudes -> don't get kill by dudes -> kill dudes strat for skills - but you may want some more power for your spells/spell levels. Hopefully you'll get some direction from Veh on what will help define your character further. Maybe a spellbook from an Orc:2 bookshop?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

nogic posted:

-Servitor is good, but I wouldn't bother with it this early on. It's a steep investment for someone with no Summonings skill(meaning it's taking XP away from the things that help you Not Die now), and its mechanics reward already knowing higher level spells. It casts spells chosen from the ones you've memorized, assuming they're on the short list of eligible spells. In other words, you have to build your spell list around it. Trimming out low-level spells(you don't want it wasting turns on magic dart or stone arrow), picking up a bolt spell or two for it to use, etc. Also, it can't use any L9 spells you pick up.
-What skills you train depends on what high level spells Veh or books offer. Conj is a safe bet, and this is the point where casters really need to pump defensive skills. Probably keep raising Fire Magic, for more powerful Fireballs and greater likelihood that Veh will offer you high-level Fire spells.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 23, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What is a sky weapon?

I've been rolling around with a +12 mace of draining since D6, and it's still better than my pile of great maces.

A resist stick. Also, your great maces are almost certainly better, once you get some m&f skill.

IronicDongz posted:

Unrelated and might be just me, but even in a game like crawl it bothers me that the game calls it "chain mail" instead of just "mail", and that "ring mail" is something that exists(gently caress you, Samuel Rush Meyrick). I kinda feel like ring mail/scale armor should just be combined into 1 thing, scale armor, since there's only a 1 point base AC difference... I don't think there needs to be 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 base AC armors. Put ring mail in the dumpster with splint mail.

we're not going to make design changes for the sake of Armour Realism

pretend it's called 'elf-mail' or 'mithril mail' or whatever makes you happy, imo

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

we're not going to make design changes for the sake of Armour Realism

pretend it's called 'elf-mail' or 'mithril mail' or whatever makes you happy, imo

:argh: mah immersion!

e: I want to take this opportunity to apologise to my team mates for sucking at crawl and having the patience of a toddler...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a really promising DrCj that I was trying to sneak a win in on, but my roommate/team captain shooed me to bed. There were three hours left, I had just cleared the mines, and I'd been up playing all night.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I had a fantastic OgAs of Dith with time enough left I lost in a bailey from being dumb. :v:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
What are some interesting combos to try? I haven't played since I 3 runed with grbe and grfi in .14 it looks like?

I've gotten at least to the end of lair with defe, decj, hoak, mifi. I'd like to try something with gods not trog, vehmut, or oki

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
congrats to all who played in the tournament. i won and everyone else lost, but it's still good to have played. better luck in six months!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ImPureAwesome posted:

What are some interesting combos to try? I haven't played since I 3 runed with grbe and grfi in .14 it looks like?

I've gotten at least to the end of lair with defe, decj, hoak, mifi. I'd like to try something with gods not trog, vehmut, or oki

If you haven't played a Pakellas character yet you should do that.

Pick something with a good evocations aptitude like DD or Ko.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
we came in 9th :toot: and I came 27th in individual players!

now back to getting greatplayer.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you haven't played a Pakellas character yet you should do that.

Pick something with a good evocations aptitude like DD or Ko.

Okay! Any other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I only played 14 games and only got one three-rune win, but I also increased my collection of tier 3 banners from 3 to 7. A decent result.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Deep Elf Enchanter of Kiku!

Literally anything of Makhleb, because Makhleb can carry anything once you get lesser demon.

• Locked thread