Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The FFXII villains are good because they do have a post-conquest plan because absolutely none of them wants to destroy the world. It's pretty much the only FF game where the fate of the world was never at stake.

Although, now I think on it, Bhunivelze is kind of interesting when contrasted with his fellows. He's the only one actually trying to create a new world. The world will be destroyed regardless, no matter what anyone does so that can't even be pinned on him. He's just trying to make a new universe.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I finally get around to playing Birth by Sleep through entirely legitimate means, and apparently I level up skills through playing a board game. Christ, this loving series choked to death on pointless innovation.

Also Terra's VA sounds tranquilized which is appropriate considering he might be the dumbest bastard in SE history.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I kinda like the board game but it works best as something to piss around with when playing the game on a PSP with something else going on at the same time, it's way too time-consuming and grind to work in the HD version.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You don't technically need to do the board game, in fact you can become overpowered just fine without it.

If you're playing Final Mix though you have to play it a lot in order to unlock the two actually good superbosses, and that's terrible.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I never used the board game and beat the game fine. No reason to play it if you don't enjoy it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

I finally get around to playing Birth by Sleep through entirely legitimate means, and apparently I level up skills through playing a board game. Christ, this loving series choked to death on pointless innovation.

Also Terra's VA sounds tranquilized which is appropriate considering he might be the dumbest bastard in SE history.

You can also just level them by fighting enemies, and fusing abilities together.

The board-game is just a minigame that you can do if you like lovely Fortune Street and they let it actually work with the game mechanics by leveling up abilities instead of just being a separate lovely minigame.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
From what I remember of BBS, it was pretty solid gameplay-wise. I just didn't get far into it because the plot and writing made me feel like I was having a stroke.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's the normal KH experience. Soon you'll feel comfortable with your Xehanortiness.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like BBS is sort of overhyped, cause when I finally played it I thought the fighting was only pretty good instead of great, and Aqua was a lot less fun to use than people said.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Just finished FF7 for the first time. I never made it past early disc 2 when I was a kid and wow was I not missing much. Every scene on The Highwind is barely comprehensible.

Also I didn't think a spell animation could get more indulgent then Knights Of The Round and the Supernova happened.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I love the international Supernova animation, it's so stupidly ridiculous. And it can happen multiple times in a single battle, too!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mega64 posted:

And Sin could be a spaceship and the Al Bhed city could have a giant rocket sticking up and you could put the spheres you collect into your equipment.

It's funny because Square said that Shinra from X-2 built a spaceship and went to another planet and founded a company named after him.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Square says a lot of things.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CottonWolf posted:

It's one of the few ways to really have villains doing the stuff that Final Fantasy games seem to want them to want to do. It's difficult to have complex post-conquest plans if the narrative wants the stakes to be the destruction of everything.

I like it. I also like mexican soap opera villains.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Finally got ffx HD on steam. I love the game just as much as i used to, ridiculous cutscenes and all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A bit further into X-2 and I still don't feel like it's clicked yet. It's fun but I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm even supposed to be doing here.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dewgy posted:

A bit further into X-2 and I still don't feel like it's clicked yet. It's fun but I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm even supposed to be doing here.

Helping Yuna live out those crazy rebellious teen years she missed out on.

I really wish X-2 Yuna had some tattoos and maybe took up smoking to make it more obvious. As it is, she just decided to grow some of her hair out and wear skimpy clothing. She was never good at extremes, I guess.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I more meant gameplaywise but... yeah that too. Though I did like how the intro concert was a big fake out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just wander around doing missions and talking to people, it's a game about being chill :unsmith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

There are three types of Final Fantasy villain: someone who is being mind controlled and/or tricked, someone who wants to rule everything/ascend to some level of godhood, or someone who wants to destroy everything.

It was fun seeing those three camps interact in Dissidia.

Caius just misses his true love

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In Training posted:

Caius just misses his true love

Can you miss someone who is always right there?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I cannot bear this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This whole thread has this disease, and it ain't stoppin for no tracks.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Which of the FF 4 remakes should I play? Never played it before.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd argue that only the original SNES FF4 is good.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The PSP collection is good as long as you don't play The After Years

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite is the DS/Steam one since it's actually somewhat challenging and some of the QOL changes / customization options are fun. The PSP one is probably best if you want the "classic" take on the game.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Yeah gently caress this chocobo race. gently caress these birds, gently caress balloons, and gently caress this trainer. I thought dodging lightning made me mad... I need some way to cheese this, I really hate spending so long on this dumb thing

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
If you haven't played it before, the original/PSP version may be okay. The DS/iOS/steam version is the best IMO but you have to be ready for a challenge.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Burginator posted:

Yeah gently caress this chocobo race. gently caress these birds, gently caress balloons, and gently caress this trainer. I thought dodging lightning made me mad... I need some way to cheese this, I really hate spending so long on this dumb thing

It's like 100% luck based. I struggled the first time through, but this time I got a 0 score in 5 attempts, then 0 again by accident when I was moving the guy blocking Tidus' Celestial Weapon.

The Remiem Chocobo race is another whole kettle of bullshit-scented fish.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finnish Flasher posted:

PSP if you want a nicer looking version of the original, DS if you want an updated version that has actual challenge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you play the 3d version of FF4 use an Augment FAQ. Some of the augments can be missed, including some very useful ones.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Enallyniv posted:

The Remiem Chocobo race is another whole kettle of bullshit-scented fish.

I assume you're going for the 5 chest trophy? There's three possible race times for the opposing chocobo. 30, 35, and 40 seconds. 40 seconds is the only winnable race realistically. Use this video for a route and if you see the yellow marker getting close to as you go for the second chest then know that the race is a wash and practice turns or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d9Gpl42gSI

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

pizza valentine posted:

I assume you're going for the 5 chest trophy? There's three possible race times for the opposing chocobo. 30, 35, and 40 seconds. 40 seconds is the only winnable race realistically. Use this video for a route and if you see the yellow marker getting close to as you go for the second chest then know that the race is a wash and practice turns or something.

I've gotten all the prizes now, but it's good to know about the times - I had no idea.

Just generally gently caress anything to do with Chocobos in FFX!

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Welp I just got a 0.1 after I got hit by back to back birds spawning on top of me just before the end of the race. I fall back on my original statement of 'gently caress chocobos'

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Finnish Flasher posted:

The only real options are DS and PSP version but DS because it has challenge which makes it the only one with interesting gameplay.

Definitely don't use an Augment FAQ as it will ruin the story. You don't need any of the augments.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The DS version is the one that I like the most. PSP version would be the most true to the original though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The GBA version is pretty decent too. I actually have yet to play a version of FF4 that wasn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bloodychill posted:

The GBA version is pretty decent too. I actually have yet to play a version of FF4 that wasn't good.

I remember hearing that the GBA version has some pretty lovely coding though.