Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Just had an idea for a serious doom map I would like to try and make. Anyone have some good suggestions for music to use for an escalating arena battle? All else fails, I've got a ton of fakebit stuff I can choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh I missed this somehow:

scroton_ posted:

TBH it's already been generously promoted by a bunch of nice people which is more than it deserves, and I think the reason it isn't more widely played is because it's really only appealing to weirdos and the general populace just finds it annoying.

Yeah, I can see that. I still love it though!

Also: nice avatar.

Elliotw2 posted:

Please don't use texture filtering on Doom, it makes me feel sad inside.

No really, your Display Options>Open GL Options> Texture Options section should look exactly like this.

Your game will load faster and look better.

People can make their game look however they want you goof.

I personally enjoy your setup but with the resize mode set to Scale2x. Smooths it out a bit like I would expect from a source port chocked with other enhancements, but still leaves everything nice and pixelated. If I wanted something that looked vanilla I would just play with Chocolate Doom.

That said, the real crime is when nobody sets the sector light mode to Software :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"None (Linear Mipmap)" is the best texture filter option if you want pixels. It'll give you that pixelated look, while still filtering between mipmap levels, so you don't get sudden shifts in quality or lines across textures as you move around.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LogicalFallacy posted:

Just had an idea for a serious doom map I would like to try and make. Anyone have some good suggestions for music to use for an escalating arena battle? All else fails, I've got a ton of fakebit stuff I can choose from.

Ravel's Bolero is now in the public domain :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Got an aesthetics question, because I'm stumped.

Stairs, so far, have been my drat enemy when it comes to good looking visuals. Specifically the change in height difference on the wall for each stair-step. For the Doom mappers of you out there, how do you make the connecting walls on staircases look good?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I just really hate any filtering of spritework. I also own a bunch of retro consoles and poo poo if it explains it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Stairs, so far, have been my drat enemy when it comes to good looking visuals. Specifically the change in height difference on the wall for each stair-step. For the Doom mappers of you out there, how do you make the connecting walls on staircases look good?

In the IWAD maps, you'll notice that the ceiling doesn't follow the floor in stairs. Keep the same ceiling height so that the walls remain aligned, do a single ceiling height drop at the bottom of the stairs.

For very long stairs or for spiral stairs you can do more drops, but don't do one per step.

Don't hesitate to insert some separator texture -- like the ever-useful SUPPORT* and DOORSTOP, or even some of the LITE* -- between two different heights of walls, as that can remove the awkwardness from the difference in alignment. Again, vanilla maps are a good inspiration for that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Good idea, this looks significantly less jarring. I'll fiddle with it some more to see if I can get it to look even better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

No really, your Display Options>Open GL Options> Texture Options section should look exactly like this.

Morter posted:

I don't know why it would make anyone sad, and I don't even know who you are, but since it's lagging my poo poo up, I guess it's coming out how you want it. :shrug:

I'm with Elliotw2 100% on this, and when some goon was streaming doom recently (was that you CJacobs?) I even went out of my way to say they should turn off the texture filtering, because I can't stand watching it. It looks so ugly. Hopefully that wasn't too dickish to suggest.

Seriously though if you don't know the difference, using texture filtering on doom sprites makes them look "smoother" but also makes them look really washed out and blurry. Doom sprites were intended to be drawn pixel-for-pixel, as a raster grid, and that's how you should view them.

Elliotw2 posted:

I just really hate any filtering of spritework. I also own a bunch of retro consoles and poo poo if it explains it.

Yeah I also hate 2xHQ filters in emulators and the like. You don't have to go all the way with SCART and RGB and perfect square pixels, but texture filtering is an abomination.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Got an aesthetics question, because I'm stumped.

Put a short bit of intersecting texture work at the top and/or bottom of stairs. That way the line of your predominant texture can be broken up without looking bad.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Cat Mattress posted:

Ravel's Bolero is now in the public domain :v:
Hmm. I do have AnvilStudio, so I can definitely try to 8bit it up a little. I'll have to see on that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

and worst (9, 23, 30) Doom 2 maps

What the gently caress

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jia posted:

What the gently caress

I'm more shocked that Map13 wasn't on the worst list.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Update: I have discovered that making big multi-tiered rooms that can see into one another is pretty fun. Once I noticed that this layout kinda looked like a 'C' I was considering spelling my name but then the map would be gigantic so maybe it's best I don't.

edit: This map is called SLUDGE PIT, by the way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That looks more like an imp zone II. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arivia posted:

That looks more like an imp zone II. :colbert:

There's significantly more standing space than in the imp zone map, at least!

But I could rename it to IMP ZONE 3 anyway if you want.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm with Elliotw2 100% on this, and when some goon was streaming doom recently (was that you CJacobs?) I even went out of my way to say they should turn off the texture filtering, because I can't stand watching it. It looks so ugly. Hopefully that wasn't too dickish to suggest.

Seriously though if you don't know the difference, using texture filtering on doom sprites makes them look "smoother" but also makes them look really washed out and blurry. Doom sprites were intended to be drawn pixel-for-pixel, as a raster grid, and that's how you should view them.

Yeah I also hate 2xHQ filters in emulators and the like. You don't have to go all the way with SCART and RGB and perfect square pixels, but texture filtering is an abomination.

Oh, well i'm not a graphics/emulation :spergin: I just threw the game into my fullscreen resolution and played. Hell, I think it might have been default (cause I don't remember messing with them). But like I said, I already have it put the way you want so I dunno why you're trying to sell me on it, let alone why you think one should change graphics filters because you think it's ugly. :geno:

In short:

Mak0rz posted:

People can make their game look however they want you goof.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

What I don't understand is why ZDoom defaults to that brown on tan automap instead of the actually readable red on black.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't know if it's the rational used or not, but it allows to have color-coded doors appear with their lock colors without confusing them with walls when they need a red key.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

Pretty much. Though I'm gonna echo what KozmoNaut said and suggest "(Linear Mipmap)" over "(Nearest Mipmap)", because the latter still has some ugly aliasing artifacts in the distance that the former does not. (Although, doing a comparison between the two filtering modes using some screenshots and Photoshop's "Difference" blending mode, it doesn't seem to make much difference - I suspect the Anisotropic Filtering is taking precedence, but hell, what do I know.)

Though, everything under the various "Resize" options, just set to whatever the hell you feel like.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jia posted:

What the gently caress

It's a typo. I actually meant map 13. Mea culpa.

Although I'm not very fond of map 23 either because it has a really cool premise and then proceeds to do nothing interesting with it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Filtering is one of the few things that legitimately piss me off, to the point where I've got it disabled by default in my "full game" projects with no way in menus to re-enable it. And this is coming from someone who's usually all "let the player play how they want to play!".

I will admit, it is probably one of the stupidest things to get upset about, but even with my own personal autism aside, filtering looks bad. And it doesn't just look bad, it's needlessly expensive on memory, as it's rendering each individual pixel multiple times.
It's a horribly inefficient way to gain a not-hi-res look in games where the artist's work should REALLY stand by its own merits.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 22, 2016

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way to have autorun enabled in Crispy Doom? it seems to ignore my "+cl_run 1" parameter in ZDL, and I can't seem to bring up the console with `

EDIT: the solution was CapsLock :downs:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 23, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morter posted:

Oh, well i'm not a graphics/emulation :spergin: I just threw the game into my fullscreen resolution and played. Hell, I think it might have been default (cause I don't remember messing with them). But like I said, I already have it put the way you want so I dunno why you're trying to sell me on it, let alone why you think one should change graphics filters because you think it's ugly. :geno:

In short:

I'm not trying to sell you on it, I was agreeing with your statement that filtering on sprites looks bad.

Also why should someone else change graphics filters based on what other people think? Well, if they're streaming like I mentioned... :v:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I'm having a moment where I'm both surprised and not surprised that someone would be raging in a stream chatbox about the filters the person in-stream is using.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CJacobs posted:

There's significantly more standing space than in the imp zone map, at least!

But I could rename it to IMP ZONE 3 anyway if you want.

Clearly you should name it Sludge Pit: Revenge of The Imp Zone or something cheesy like that(more maps and WAD's need to take naming inspiration from goofy b-movies)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Touchfuzzy posted:

I'm having a moment where I'm both surprised and not surprised that someone would be raging in a stream chatbox about the filters the person in-stream is using.

Was there raging?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GlitchThief posted:

Was there raging?

I ran over a berserk pack and was disappointed when the HUGE GUTS were all blurry. :smith:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Finally beat Episode 2 on Ultraviolence. gently caress the shithead that made E2M6 and particularly gently caress him if he's the one who went on to make that lovely corpse-filled backtrack fest that is E2M7.

E: Eat my shorts, Sandy Petersen.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Having a weird issue with GZDoom Builder.

Trying to make a fancier looking door. the door itself is the standard 16x128, with a pair of sectors that are 8x128 in front of and behind it, which I'm using to basically frame the doorway. I set the linedefs on both sides of the door to open on use, repeatable, the same settings that I used that worked without the framing. The front side of the door works fine, but when I head through, turn around, let the door close, and try to open it again it doesn't work. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Edit:
The mystery deepens. When I set the side that isn't working to open when I shoot it, shooting it causes the door to turn into the "I don't have a texture, enjoy this terrifying repeated expanse". Then, if I clip back through to the other side, the door no longer opens from that side, instead it shifts a tiny amount and then stops.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Check that the non-working side is properly presenting its front side out, because linedefs usually can't be activated from their backside. (They don't like it when you touch their butt.)

The missing textures can come from how you'd have properly put the upper textures on the front side, but then it shows its back side, not its front side...

You can always flip a line's sides by pressing F (unless you changed that binding I guess) when it's selected in 2D mode.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Check that the non-working side is properly presenting its front side out, because linedefs usually can't be activated from their backside. (They don't like it when you touch their butt.)

The missing textures can come from how you'd have properly put the upper textures on the front side, but then it shows its back side, not its front side...

You can always flip a line's sides by pressing F (unless you changed that binding I guess) when it's selected in 2D mode.

Well poo poo. That was it. Thanks!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Finished Master Levels for Doom II. Christ. There were a couple of good maps in there but by and large, the levels encompassed everything I disliked about the worst of Sandy Peterson levels. Annoying gimmicks, doing things that would be a secret in any id developed Doom level being mandatory to beat it and having to take advantage of weird movement quirks with the engine to do awkward platforming to beat levels. The number of times I got completely lost was ridiculous and I had to look up the solution online and I couldn't believe that 9/10 it was something like "press interact on a random wall that doesn't even look like it'd have a secret because there's nothing remarkable about the drat wall" to progress the level. I can't really see myself replaying the Master Levels in the future outside of a small few levels.

Here's hoping TNT and Plutonia from Final Doom don't have bullshit like this. I'm okay with difficult levels but I hate obtuse level design.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Finished Master Levels for Doom II. Christ. There were a couple of good maps in there but by and large, the levels encompassed everything I disliked about the worst of Sandy Peterson levels. Annoying gimmicks, doing things that would be a secret in any id developed Doom level being mandatory to beat it and having to take advantage of weird movement quirks with the engine to do awkward platforming to beat levels. The number of times I got completely lost was ridiculous and I had to look up the solution online and I couldn't believe that 9/10 it was something like "press interact on a random wall that doesn't even look like it'd have a secret because there's nothing remarkable about the drat wall" to progress the level. I can't really see myself replaying the Master Levels in the future outside of a small few levels.

Here's hoping TNT and Plutonia from Final Doom don't have bullshit like this. I'm okay with difficult levels but I hate obtuse level design.

TNT doesn't have anything necessary, but you can miss out on half a level. When you get to the glowing bars in "Wormhole," go through ONCE then go look through the rest of the level again.

Plutonia has 1 notable idiot thing. On the second map, when you get to the canyon, you want to shoot the computer through the window to your left. You can't get to it physically yet, so you have to shoot it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

Plutonia has 1 notable idiot thing. On the second map, when you get to the canyon, you want to shoot the computer through the window to your left. You can't get to it physically yet, so you have to shoot it.

I think having an invisible bridge also counts :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looking pretty likely that Arcane Dimensions v2.0 will arrive for Quake's 20th anniversary late next month. A lot of really good existing Quake maps are being remixed and updated for it:

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/721118401175883776 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/721179815320137728 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/718868948398252032 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/723641276739018752 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/723992351996280832 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/734476930624421888

Edit: Tweetdump!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 22, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

I think having an invisible bridge also counts :)

I was literally describing the encounter with the invisible bridge!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing through TNT at the moment and it's great. Some nice loving around with what you'd expect from enemy placements and great looking level design.

Haven't gotten to Plutonia yet... I hear that's the balls hard one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dominic White posted:

Looking pretty likely that Arcane Dimensions v2.0 will arrive for Quake's 20th anniversary late next month. A lot of really good existing Quake maps are being remixed and updated for it:

[tweets]

Edit: Tweetdump!

:eyepop: This looks gorgeous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, AD 2.0 is looking drat fine.

Perhaps it'll turn it to be THE definitive Quake mod that everyone builds their maps for.