Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Barudak posted:

i hope you die when the meteor passes too close to the earth.

I should have been more specific, and pointed out that it was crap garbage that I loved as a child, the way power rangers are crap garbage for people of a different age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For the record the old TMNT cartoon is also mostly loving horrid. They had a pretty strong first five episode season and season 2 was acceptable but a combination of censored violence and increasingly lazy writing makes it unwatchable for the majority of its run.

Kids love trash.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lol if you're over 16 and concerned about the quality of a show aimed at children designed to sell toys

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

I don't really care about the power rangers movie either but the costumes are breathtakingly terrible no matter what they're supposed to be, like I bet if I asked someone to make lovely costume designs for five heroes and a villain on purpose it would take talent to get ones HALF as garbage looking as these.

E: speaking of boobplate, did you see this poo poo:

Honestly, if you showed me this and told me they decided to make Loki a woman, I'd believe you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's kind of dumb is that it's Elizabeth Banks. She has such comedy chops that could really sell the cackling witch Rita Repulsa from the show. Like that costume would actually be pretty funny if she was in the big witch get-up from the show and this was her entering battle. But that's probably not going to be what happens.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, if you showed me this and told me they decided to make Loki a woman, I'd believe you.

oh my god, you're right, this is totally a "sexy loki" costume except that would probably hold together better.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Wanamingo posted:

Apparently there's going to be a new Power Rangers movie

I kinda like the costumes, they're really stupid and overdesigned.

This looks like when they take a 10 year old's drawing and gently make fun of it by translating it too accurately into 3D, like that Goku with a billion abs and biceps. The weird shaky lines with no clear purpose covering every bit of space, the weightless boobs that someone clearly spent a lot of time on but still couldn't get right, the weird proportions

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I kind of suspect the artist started from DAZ/Poser figures and modeled all that crap around them, which only exaggerates their basic wonky anatomy. Aside from that yeah those are just way too drat busy, like the robot designs in Michael Bay's Transformers movies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For me the real cherry is that every helmet is just slightly different, as if their uniforms being a completely different colours wasn't quite enough to distinguish them from each other.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

For me the real cherry is that every helmet is just slightly different, as if their uniforms being a completely different colours wasn't quite enough to distinguish them from each other.

That's straight from the show, though, each one is themed after their own unique dinosaur. It works a lot better when the outfits aren't so busy, it gets lost among the greebles here.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What are the chances that's just Rita's Battle suit and that she starts the movie in frumpy witch dress we know and love?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Travis343 posted:

That's straight from the show, though, each one is themed after their own unique dinosaur. It works a lot better when the outfits aren't so busy, it gets lost among the greebles here.

Lost Among the Greebles would be a fabulous title for a documentary film/book on this poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NotAnArtist posted:

Lol if you're over 16 and concerned about the quality of a show aimed at children designed to sell toys

It's not concern, just a statement of fact.

And if I was a parent I'd be allowed to be concerned cuz I'd be stuck watching those shows with my kids.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I didn't notice this at first, but there are subtle differences – aside from the normal stuff like the above – between the various uniforms that give each a bit individuality.

Take the Yellow Ranger, for example. The texture on her suit is the most fur-like of the bunch, which makes sense given that her zord is a sabertooth tiger.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Travis343 posted:

I actually forgot all about that theme entirely because their helmets manage to be so busy you can't really notice any differences but the slightly different visors. It's a lot more effective when they have the teeth edging to convey that it's supposed to be an animal head.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ghostlight posted:

I actually forgot all about that theme entirely because their helmets manage to be so busy you can't really notice any differences but the slightly different visors. It's a lot more effective when they have the teeth edging to convey that it's supposed to be an animal head.

The worst thing about these new costumes has to be the helmets. There's just nothing to them that even gives you a hint of motif and they all blend together. I love how distinct each of the original helmets were, and yes I'm the guy that doesn't mind the lips.

It's a shame they went with that pseudo Iron Man look when they should have been ripping off Deadpool instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seems less Iron Man and more Guyver to me.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I feel like the proportions of the power ranger suit are integral to their visual identity. Throughout redesign after redesign, the sentai have always had a lean body and a big bike helmet. Giving them chunky muscular armor makes them not look like power rangers anymore.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's clear they're doing whatever the gently caress they want and hoping it works out like Michael bay's transformers.
Which is fine.
The costumes are just really loving terrible on their own merits.

Bay's transformers didn't look like anything but they weren't the audience appeal characters, more like giant talking disasters or something. And they didn't have glowing plastic boobs either.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God, just imagine how ugly the zords are gonna be.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
pink and yellow zords will also have heels and boobs, to show they belong to girls

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe those ARE the zords, and the pilots will all be talking animals

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Ashcans posted:

This would be the best possible spin on this whole thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ashcans posted:

I'm sold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I feel like the proportions of the power ranger suit are integral to their visual identity. Throughout redesign after redesign, the sentai have always had a lean body and a big bike helmet. Giving them chunky muscular armor makes them not look like power rangers anymore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Bay's transformers didn't look like anything but they weren't the audience appeal characters, more like giant talking disasters or something. And they didn't have glowing plastic boobs either.

The problem with that sort of costume/character design is that it generally is really awesome to look at in stills (at least when done well):

... but not so much when it's animated, your brain has no time to get a grip on what it's seeing so you have a gigantic clusterfuck of visual gibberish.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is why the Bay movie Transformer toys don't look as bad as the films themselves, because as static pieces (well, and things that have to obey physics and actually change from one thing to another without being taken apart), the designs are able to be visually parsed.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ignite Memories posted:

This is something that really came across in the toys. America and Japan both have almost opposite ideas of what a hero looks like so you would get slim, athletic Sentai toys and ripped, strong Ranger toys.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shoehead posted:

This is something that really came across in the toys. America and Japan both have almost opposite ideas of what a hero looks like so you would get slim, athletic Sentai toys and ripped, strong Ranger toys.

I have no idea what you're talking about

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman's new protegee, Duke gets his not-Robin costume revealed in Batman Rebirth #1

Which is a bit of a shame, cause I really liked his improvised Robin costume from the last year.

Also, are we doing bat-head knees again? C'mon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did Ed Boon design that?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Can we call him Duke of Bats or what. I do hope nobody tries to get Batboy going.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I like the robin jacket.

Bright yellow thing is ugly and dumb, why yellow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

I like the robin jacket.

Because red, green, purple and blue are all already taken.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

I like the robin jacket.

Gives the criminals a target to shoot at :v:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yellow is the color of fear and Batman uses fear!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Can we call him Duke of Bats or what. I do hope nobody tries to get Batboy going.

All signs point to "Lark"
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/01/duke-thomas-is-not-a-robin-in-batman-rebirth-1-so-what-is-he-new-costume-reveal/

It looks like Declan Shalvey designed the new suit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Because red, green, purple and blue are all already taken.

Wait, is this going to end with Terrifying Sentai Batranger?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Acne Rain posted:

I like the robin jacket.

Because Wu-Tang Bat ain't nothin to gently caress wit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

I like the robin jacket.

Bruce Lee is always cooler

• Locked thread