Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Suck it mill, suck it Blue Tron haters, suck it Affinity.

I just sold Blue Tron on MTGO yesterday. I got tired of never actually drawing a spell in any of my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Sperglord Chapin on screen again

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Sperglord Chapin on screen again

Watch him touch the lands.....

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Watch him touch the lands.....

His ET like fingers bug me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am just going to point out, that these decklists shown on the GP stream is actually something the MTG production crew is doing better than SCG.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sickening posted:

I am just going to point out, that these decklists shown on the GP stream is actually something the MTG production crew is doing better than SCG.

Yeah, it's so much better. It just looks nicer and anyone watching who cares about that stuff would rather see it that way than just a list.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Where is this event being streamed at? Twitch doesn't show anything of note.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Molybdenum posted:

It's a west coast event, so it started at noonish. It should be on twitch now.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Paulo conceding the game instead of going to draw was too classy. Crazy.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

Paulo conceding the game instead of going to draw was too classy. Crazy.

Chain had him 4 times in 5 there, and he would had another turn if Paulo hadn't tanked a touch too long on CoCo. He clearly knew when he was beat.

Plus, unintentional draws are bad for your ties.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

You mean CFB production crew?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Suck it mill, suck it Blue Tron haters, suck it Affinity.

I just sold Blue Tron on MTGO yesterday. I got tired of never actually drawing a spell in any of my games.

Boy I bet you feel silly now!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Count Bleck posted:

Joe Lisette's luck is out-loving-standing in every single one of his games he's played.

Natural turn 3 tron, gets duressed, opp. sees nothing other than 2 ancient stirrings and a scrying.

Topdecks a Wurmcoil Engine

Topdecks a Thragtusk

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sestze posted:

Joe Lisette's luck is out-loving-standing in every single one of his games he's played.

Natural turn 3 tron, gets duressed, opp. sees nothing other than 2 ancient stirrings and a scrying.

Topdecks a Thragtusk

Pro players don't like to admit it but having the cards just kinda fall your way is a big part of winning that type of event

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah it's amazing, I get a little bit tilted just watching him topdeck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The coverage of this GP has been very good. Hardly any breaks. Actually interesting side bits. Lots of diverse matchups. Very strong.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The coverage of this GP has been very good. Hardly any breaks. Actually interesting side bits. Lots of diverse matchups. Very strong.

Probably the best coverage of it's kind, ever. Also, probably quite expensive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sestze posted:

Topdecks a Thragtusk

To be fair, Duress wouldn't have done anything if he'd had those card.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first one ive ever watched. P cool. Im excited to play in one now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Probably the best coverage of it's kind, ever. Also, probably quite expensive.

Why more expense than any other GP? A few better graphics? They always have 4 announcers....

Also, magic players are the worst:

Marshall Sutcliffe ‎@Marshall_LR
So my camera apparently got stolen from the booth at the GP. I use it for LR/vlogging and such. If anyone has any info on it hit me up :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Why more expense than any other GP? A few better graphics? They always have 4 announcers....

Thought it was usually 3 + a producer that sometimes casts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did that UB Mill guy ever get on camera again? Wanted to see more of how the deck worked, most everything he won that Tron match with is stuff I'm already using.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

stinkles1112 posted:

Pro players don't like to admit it but having the cards just kinda fall your way is a big part of winning that type of event

This is also just a general flaw in human psychology, too

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Did that UB Mill guy ever get on camera again? Wanted to see more of how the deck worked, most everything he won that Tron match with is stuff I'm already using.
He lost a narrow match to Jund first today. They did show his decklist yesterday, the really funny thing about it are the 4 Manic Scribes and maindeck Jace's Mindseekers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Also, magic players are the worst:

Marshall Sutcliffe ‎@Marshall_LR
So my camera apparently got stolen from the booth at the GP. I use it for LR/vlogging and such. If anyone has any info on it hit me up :(

GP's are a thief's paradise.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Eh. It was a pet deck I played for fun that wasn't actually fun anymore when 2/3 of my games never actually got played between drawing all or no lands and dying on turn 3 through a counter.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
These Ben Stark quotes are loving amazing.

Sickening posted:

Sad but true :smith:

Edit: So for all you guys that goes to multiple GPs, besides getting rest and having snacks/water with you, how else do you guys last the 9 sounds of magic? I ran into a wall in round 5 and I just nodded and made really bad plays and I barely remember anything from that round.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 23, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Yeah. It's pretty depressing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why is burn supposedly on a downturn?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

because abzan company, jund and uwr control are on the uptick i guess, among other things

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Decks with green in them usually do well against burn.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Rinkles posted:

Abzan Company, the most popular and maybe the best deck in the format, plays 4x Kitchen Finks. Lightning Helix is also all over the place now that the Twin decks have splintered natch and Jeskai colors are being run more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Makes sense. Thanks

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He lost a narrow match to Jund first today. They did show his decklist yesterday, the really funny thing about it are the 4 Manic Scribes and maindeck Jace's Mindseekers.

I did see his decklist yesterday during his Tron match, I just wanted to see how Bridge/Phantasm did on defense and how much work Scribe could do. I really question the need for both Bridge and Phantasm but I think Scribe could have a legit home in the deck especially with 4 Mesmeric Orbs. I was also hoping to see a Set Adrift->mill line for the world's rudest pseudo-Vindicate.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

It's best matchups were 3-color goodstuff decks, and now those decks run Kalitas and Shambling Vent (or permission spells). Also the bans opened up a lot of sideboard space and it's very easy to not lose to burn with a good sideboard plan.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 23, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just like others have said, today was the best Magic broadcast ever. It's not even close. If WOTC continues this for all GP/PT events, good things are coming. If I were SCG, I would be looking to steal a lot from this coverage.

Eldrazi seems to be good without being oppressive. Control is playable again. Hell, everything feels playable right now. Modern is amazing again and holy gently caress my balls are humming with righteous power right now.

MTGfinance is about to get silly again though. A lot showed up this weekend that wasn't on the radar and should be spiking pretty hard.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Turns out, Gaby and LSV make a pretty solid team, I'm glad to have caught it for myself. The whole production was great, even with the few technical issues, really hope that CFB can keep it up. Or that Magic coverage can get better.

Okay that last one is probably about as realistic as "Standard-legal reprint of Black Lotus at common", but it was a good weekend for watching some Magic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm glad to see Eldrazi is still good, modern could do with more archetypes. I look forward to Kaladesh breaking Affinity (again)

e: also banning Twin and unbanning Ancestral made Modern so much better, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
11-4 at GP Charlotte with junk midrange/goodstuff. Picked up my last loss and knocked out of top 64 in round 15 :( Day 2 went waaay smoother than day 1. Got to take Brad Nelson out of the tournament. Not bad for my first GP and still had a lot of fun.

• Locked thread