Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've been rebuilding my dashboard today.

Behind the now-empty clock hole is my new brake fluid reservoir, which I can fill with a funnel (it used to have a remote reservoir on an expensive master cylinder. Now it has a normal cheap landrover larger bore combined unit!)

I want to make an easily removable cover for the hole. any good ideas on how to do it?

I was wondering if i could make it from steel and then use some magnets to keep it on there (the rest of the dash is ally, so i'd have to attach them behind it and make them strong)

Once I've worked out how to cover it, I want to mount a couple of gauges to the cover (just on a long wire). I've got a small LED strip fuel gauge and a flat digital Air/fuel gauge - so its got to be solid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Puppy update: little guy is doing pretty well all considered. He'll probably be at the emergency vet for another day and then I'm going to look into moving him somewhere cheaper.

This is a very expensive month :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

Behind the now-empty clock hole is my new brake fluid reservoir, which I can fill with a funnel (it used to have a remote reservoir on an expensive master cylinder. Now it has a normal cheap landrover larger bore combined unit!)

I want to make an easily removable cover for the hole. any good ideas on how to do it?

I was wondering if i could make it from steel and then use some magnets to keep it on there (the rest of the dash is ally, so i'd have to attach them behind it and make them strong)

Once I've worked out how to cover it, I want to mount a couple of gauges to the cover (just on a long wire). I've got a small LED strip fuel gauge and a flat digital Air/fuel gauge - so its got to be solid!

Is this the 101? I have to come see this at some point. I'd try to make a bayonet/screw fitting plug but I don't know how hard it'd be to mount something behind the hole that's bigger than the hole.

Yeah, maybe magnets.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Wrar posted:

Puppy update: little guy is doing pretty well all considered. He'll probably be at the emergency vet for another day and then I'm going to look into moving him somewhere cheaper.

This is a very expensive month :(

I love pets - I adore all my families dogs past and present, I'm good buddies with my GF'S cat and love her family dog. My best friend had an amazing dachshund years ago that I still miss.

All that being said, unless I become significantly rich someday I'm avoiding getting a pet I have to support on my own dime - holy poo poo the amount of money I've watched people dump into sick/dying pets becomes borderline crazy. And I totally understand it; no one wants to see their little buddy go away especially without an answer. But goddamn, pets rival cars in expense and nowadays you can't even grab a mutt from the pound without $$$ and mandatory inspectors coming to see if your yard is properly fenced (yeah this happened to my mom).

Still, dogges :3:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Was going through some boxes and found all the parts I had purchased for modding my Nerf blaster so I decided to actually start the project. Got all the new motors fitted and most of the body modifications done today. Just need to buy a LiPo battery and actually wire the gun up. Should be able to shoot like 105+FPS easily after that. I really want to get the new Nerf Rival Zeus. It uses new Nerf balls instead of darts and the thing rips. You can mod it to be full auto and rewire it and dump all 12 balls in about a second. Some dude even made a bunch of parts for it with a 3D printer so you can use a paintball gun hopper to dump all the balls into so you don't have to reload constantly.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm a dad.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Congrats bro! One of my best friends and ex-roommate who I have known for the past 15+ years told me today him and his GF are having a baby. Super pumped.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Congrats, and watch out for the Mustard Facial when changing!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Is this the 101? I have to come see this at some point. I'd try to make a bayonet/screw fitting plug but I don't know how hard it'd be to mount something behind the hole that's bigger than the hole.

Yeah, maybe magnets.

Give me a couple of weeks and it might run again! (or atleast turn over and backfire a bit while I swear at the LPG vaporiser!). Do you have any experience of using oxy-acetylene? (I need to re-bend my gear linkage)

We should meet up for a pint sometime. I'm getting tempted to take the roof off my series 2 this summer (i've had the hardtop on for the last 3 or 4 years and I miss going topless), and as soon as I do that I need people to meet in the pub when its warm and dry!

I'm think I might buy a pack of these - ebay adhesive magnets and stick some onto the back side of the dash and use them to hold a mild steel plate that is bigger than the hole. I can just mount things to it and leave a long wire.

A screw fitting plug would be impractical for having things mounted on it (and wired in). Bayonet would be good but I'm just not sure how well i could build something that would work nicelt (I guess I could file 2 'keys' into the hole and use them to lock a cover in place...)

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Grats dad.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Congrats man! poo poo is crazy for the first few months. Good luck.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
IOC and CSB approved.

Last night, cursedshitbox's wifey David was hit by a car that ran a red light while walking in a crosswalk. Very few details are confirmed but his left arm is shattered, he has facial lacerations, and some road rash. I have set up a GoFundMe to help with medical expenses, as they are going to be enormous. We do not know at this time if the driver stopped or if anyone saw it. Thank you all in advance!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iForge posted:

IOC and CSB approved.

Last night, cursedshitbox's wifey David was hit by a car that ran a red light while walking in a crosswalk. Very few details are confirmed but his left arm is shattered, he has facial lacerations, and some road rash. I have set up a GoFundMe to help with medical expenses, as they are going to be enormous. We do not know at this time if the driver stopped or if anyone saw it. Thank you all in advance!

holy poo poo :ohdear:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

iForge posted:

IOC and CSB approved.

I'm broke as poo poo right now, but that's so hosed. I'll throw what I can their way later on this week after I get paid. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have some poo poo on ebay ending next Friday, I'll toss a few bucks that way when I get paid from them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tomarse posted:

Sounds like the perfect candidate for nutserts and small bolts. It's not like you'll be putting in brake fluid daily right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T shirt rant: This is 2016, is it unreasonable to think that all cotton T shirts should be pre shrunk by now? I just took a brand new Medium T out of the wash that is now smaller than a small, probably a youth size now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

T shirt rant: This is 2016, is it unreasonable to think that all cotton T shirts should be pre shrunk by now? I just took a brand new Medium T out of the wash that is now smaller than a small, probably a youth size now.

Maybe you got fat overnight?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a high metabolism and girlish figure :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I have a high metabolism and girlish figure :colbert:

Your wife is just being nice.

My money is on fat.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Every once in a while I remember to check out what Japanese Classics has in stock, and I wasn't prepared for this one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How to somehow make a 4WD L300 even worse than it already is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My money is on fat.

Fat guy in a little shirt :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iForge posted:

IOC and CSB approved.

Fuckballs. :smith:

I'll toss something their way when I get paid. Goddamn that's loving terrible.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If its still up after my next paycheck, I'll throw some money his way. In the mean time I'm broke enough I just made a belt out of a plastic clip off of a backpack, a tie down strap and some fishing line because my only properly fitting belt decided tonight was a good time to break.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

If its still up after my next paycheck, I'll throw some money his way. In the mean time I'm broke enough I just made a belt out of a plastic clip off of a backpack, a tie down strap and some fishing line because my only properly fitting belt decided tonight was a good time to break.

Same, except I just threw $50 at the Great Nebraska Field-Tetanus Road Trip, and my belt is an extension cord.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Haha I've snapped together dog collars that use plastic buckles to make a belt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slavvy posted:

How to somehow make a 4WD L300 even worse than it already is.

How is that in any way worse than the original? It's completely stupid in an completely awesome way

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

iForge posted:

IOC and CSB approved.

gently caress :(

I'm not the richest fucker in the world, but it's not like I have to DIY hack belts together from zip-ties or anything, and payday's coming up soon. I threw some money in the pot, I hope they get enough to cover the expenses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iForge posted:

IOC and CSB approved.

Wait how the crikey gently caress did I miss this. That is goddamn terrible what the gently caress.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How is that in any way worse than the original? It's completely stupid in an completely awesome way

Cause they're terrible useless vehicles for both on and off-road driving and are awful to work on even 100% stock. It's like a normal L300 but slower, half as practical, heavier, thirstier, six times more complicated and less reliable. In exchange you get a lovely sub-hilux/terrano level 4wd chassis and a fragile auto.

Then we come to this particular example which builds on that by turning it into a mudder truck thingy and making it even more roll-over prone.

Maybe it's just me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slavvy posted:

Then we come to this particular example which builds on that by turning it into a mudder truck thingy and making it even more roll-over prone.

Maybe it's just me.

No one is saying the stock L300 nd derivities arent turds, but in this case it is just you because this contraptionthat has been built is just so idiotic it's gone around the clock back to awesome

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That van looks like hilarious fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm just not sure who'd be brave enough to take that absurdly top-heavy bastard off-road. I'd be terrified to so much as cross a ditch in it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It is said that you can only truly experience life for all it has to offer when you have a brush with death. This van gets you to the good bit pretty quickly.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The vet called and said I can take the puppy home! Unfortunately I'm really tied up at work, so I'll just leave early and work from home for a bit.

Hooray!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
This morning I noticed a patch of missing paint the size of my palm on the side of my bumper :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Broke dudes with belts: Go to the HVAC aisle of Home Depot and buy some of the 3-4 foot long zip ties they have there. They're used to put insulation on ducts and poo poo and make excellent emergency belts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Broke dudes with belts: Go to the HVAC aisle of Home Depot and buy some of the 3-4 foot long zip ties they have there. They're used to put insulation on ducts and poo poo and make excellent emergency belts.

Ken continues his uninterrupted reign as Welfare MacGyver.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Wouldn't a cheap belt from a Goodwill or something be cheaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Wouldn't a cheap belt from a Goodwill or something be cheaper?

Goons gonna goon

• Locked thread