Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The dragon's tooth has like a handle on it now and doesn't look like a tooth.

It's always looked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I beat the twin princes and picked Lorian's greatsword, on a whim.

I heard the NK is a bitch and a half, so I'd rather skip the archdragon peak. Where do I go once I've killed the princes?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Domattee posted:

It's always looked like that.

You're right but this still seems like an oversight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Million Ghosts posted:

i think it's sorta unfair to compare near-release DS3 to 1 or 2. 1 was a loving trainwreck for a lot of it's life and 2 wasn't even good until all the DLCs and Scholar and such.

Its not unfair to criticize DS3 for ditching a bunch of the game mechanics in 2 when those aren't likely to come back in DLC. There's no reason for DS3 to have taken a bunch of steps back when it comes to stuff like split damage, infusions, and weapon hit boxes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no shield life is the only life worth living

lite_sleepr posted:

I beat the twin princes and picked Lorian's greatsword, on a whim.

I heard the NK is a bitch and a half, so I'd rather skip the archdragon peak. Where do I go once I've killed the princes?

you can do archdragon peak without killing nameless king, so you should just go do that. that said, once you've killed the princes you go to firelink, place all of the cinders on their thrones, then kneel by the bonfire

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm fine with them ditching agility but I think things need to be tweaked a little bit. Like, 5% stamina cost increase and 1 or 2 fewer frames of invincibility tweaked. Nothing major, just a touch. Right now rolling is way too effective.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I invaded a guy one time who had no weapons/armor on and I'm assuming he had the bloodring as well and just spammed roll the entire time I tried to fight him. After a minute or two of getting literally no hits in I finally just gave up and crystaled out.

It probably doesn't help that I'm godawful at PVP, but that was the loving worst.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZZsdIvck0

basically this

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
If you care about fair pvp or a meta at all, just lol.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Manatee Cannon posted:

no shield life is the only life worth living

you can do archdragon peak without killing nameless king, so you should just go do that. that said, once you've killed the princes you go to firelink, place all of the cinders on their thrones, then kneel by the bonfire

I don't see anywhere where I can put Lothric's ashes. I walked up to the only empty throne and nothing.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Hahahaha, you get a sunlight medal if you invade alongside a Warrior of Sunlight invader. I guess co-op is co-op, regardless of how it takes place.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Section Z posted:

While DS2 does do a lot right, I never got this claim.

You can fully ditch your shield right out the door in DS1 and DS3. It's perfectly functional immediately.

But in DS2, you have to stop and level up your agility, especially if you picked Warrior or Bandit with only 5 I frames. And just saying "Well just don't pick those classes then :rolleyes:" is just ignoring the problem even if you did stop to read a wiki before playing to know that. As well as 9 I frames being the best possible starting dodge.

Bad starting shields may have made a lot more people turn to dodging in DS2. But dodging is still incredibly practical in the other games, without an entry fee for your dodge frames.

I dunno, I tried it in 1 and found dodging to be too fiddly. For starters you can only roll in 4 directions when locked on, and there seems to be a delay before the dodge happened. Either way, 2 is where it clicked, and I never have more fun in a souls game than when I've got a non-lovely spell in one hand and a non-lovely weapon in the other. Sucks that in 3 you need to invest so much more for that to happen. I really miss the infusion/enchantment system in 2, it was so good. Current version is poo poo. Bloodbourne's system would have been better, gently caress split damage.

Maybe I'm just burnt out on souls games? It feels like 3 doesn't bring anything new to the table, most of the fun weapons and spells are the same fun weapons and spells from the past games, except now combinations of the two require massive stat investment or some major gimping somewhere in your build. I'm sure the dlc will help a lot, but I doubt they're going to fix the poo poo that I'm complaining about, would require too much rebalancing.

Also, what's up with lightning? At some point during 2's life, it seems like they decided lightning is actually meant to be poo poo so they made all its spells take longer to cast, do less damage AND cost more stamina. Why From? Why do you hate fun?

Seriously, I'd really like to know the logic behind their balancing decisions, cause why waste time adding this poo poo into the game if it's not worth using? Is it a meta commentary on disparity? Is this whole thing a part of the light/dark life/death good/poo poo theme they've got going?

edit: what set this off is the Murakumo. In 2, with base stats, and infused Murakumo did great damage. I just chaos infused one at 30/30 int/faith and an enchanted raw rear end outdamages it. So there goes that idea. This happens most times I try something new in the game. 2 felt like a branching tree full of build possibilities, while 3 is a dead stump. Makes me sad.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 23, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I want to see a kirk roll "Gank Squad", but they are all fat rolling.

Then, as the enemy is confused at all these kirks uselessly flopping around him, they all pull out a bunch of Dragonslayer axes or whatever and go hog wild.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't see anywhere where I can put Lothric's ashes. I walked up to the only empty throne and nothing.

should be the one at the very top. if you read the back of the thrones, they tell you which cinders to place where

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Anyone using SweetFX/ReShade presets? Recommendations?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

lite_sleepr posted:

Make sure you're on the ground in front of the throne and not on the first tier of it. I made that mistake my first time and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't place.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How viable are magic-oriented builds in this game? I'm planning on playing this after I finish DS2 and I've heard that magic isn't as good as previous games, is this true?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't stop invading. Help, I have a problem.

I like to collect videos whenever I win a 2vs1 or a 3vs1 (haven't done a 4vs1), like some kind of sick serial killer.

Does anyone know if you black crystal out when a blue sentinel is around, they don't get the concord? I do this often, if I already know there's a host and a phantom as well as two blues, and they're pretty close to the boss. I really want to believe it sends the blues home with absolutely nothing, which is the goal, if I can't kill and piss off the host, the next best thing is to piss off those blues.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blue phantoms have had the worst of it since at least dark souls 2. you just sit there for ages waiting for maybe one summon if you're lucky

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

How viable are magic-oriented builds in this game? I'm planning on playing this after I finish DS2 and I've heard that magic isn't as good as previous games, is this true?

You need to invest a lot of stats for magic to be competitive, but hidden body and great/great heavy soul arrow are good at lower levels. I'd recommend you start as a pyro, then get the Astora straight sword and infuse with raw. That weapon will see you through the whole game and it has really low requirements, freeing you up to put all your points in int, which you need to get to 60. Pyromancy is good too, but unfortunately you won't get much out of a miracle build and even less from a hex build. In fact, does anyone even use hexes?

edit: another way 3 has poo poo on build variety - no more spices.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 23, 2016

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Killed a host, a guy he summoned three times, and a blue. I guess it helped that engaged the adds but still, this was pretty satisfying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvaNg7aShkA

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Scary Owl posted:

Pyromancy is quite viable as a damage dealer and has some nice support spells too. Sorcery has a couple very good support spells but the damage spells have an absolutely bizarre power curve, they're frustratingly weak for about 90% of the game and take a huge stat investment to improve, but by the very end are not much worse than full-INT builds in DS1. Miracles are a bit poo poo overall, but can do okay damage if you get right up in enemies' faces to cast.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Hey I beat the game!

I didn't want to link the flame :mad:

Anything I should do before I start new game?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Big Scary Owl posted:

I just finished a pure pyromancy run and had a blast. The early game was significantly easier than with my quality melee build, the midgame was harder since I had less room for mistakes, and the endgame was about the same but was a bit more fun with the pyro (rapport and iron flesh and sacred flame are all sooooo funn).

As a pyro I didn't go in expecting to kill everything with spells, I probably did 60%+ of my killing with my Raw uchigatana, but having access to spells really opened up my options and made certain enemies much easier. Later on I could solely rely on spells if I wanted.

If you want to play the early game as a 100% pure caster I would say go with sorceries, although I wouldn't recommend it in general, I think it's best in DS to always have a reliable melee weapon (raw weapons + buffs are really solid in this). Offensive miracles seem to require a lot of investment and specific setups (although the heals and buffs are super good from the get go).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

lite_sleepr posted:

Hey I beat the game!

You're in luck, there are ways to not do that! (Some of them aren't even that involved!)

I'd say basic stuff applies before new game - buy up all the stuff you want to take to NG+ because store stocks reset, kill everyone whose armor you want for fashion souls because sins/NPC kills also don't carry over, etc. Aside from that you can go basically whenever you're ready.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I can't stop invading. Help, I have a problem.

I like to collect videos whenever I win a 2vs1 or a 3vs1 (haven't done a 4vs1), like some kind of sick serial killer.

Does anyone know if you black crystal out when a blue sentinel is around, they don't get the concord? I do this often, if I already know there's a host and a phantom as well as two blues, and they're pretty close to the boss. I really want to believe it sends the blues home with absolutely nothing, which is the goal, if I can't kill and piss off the host, the next best thing is to piss off those blues.

I want to know this too cause gently caress blues. If I can't win NOBODY wins :unsmigghh:

It's still fun to black crystal out of ganksquads or after giving the host the runaround for 15 minutes, just to deny them the catharsis of actually getting to kill you. Or to make them waste a seed if they try and get clever and use the enemies to finish you off.

e: on the same note, is there anything sweeter than fighting the host to a standstill, black crystal-ing out, and then warping back in to the same world fully restocked with them still injured/out of estus?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 23, 2016

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

Hey I beat the game!

Most important thing: make sure you got all the slabs.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I never really got the dodge claims for DS1 either. My dex/int build from DS1 rolled everywhere and I rarely used shields outside of particular encounters/boss fights. Mainly stuck to parrying dagger/buckler and poked people into oblivion.

As for builds and splitting the damage, perhaps this was done in DS3 to try and make people commit to builds more? Prevent people from checking off too many boxes at once? I almost think that's why infusions reverted to DS1's take on the system. Maybe they found how enchanting an infused weapon worked in DS2 to be too powerful? In SotS, I found myself dealing more damage up close with dark sword + dark varangian sword than on a quality build with a straight sword. 30 STR, 20 or so DEX and then 30 and 30, if I recall correctly. (With this character, I also was able to use the vanquisher's seal ring and tear through phantoms, so balance in 2 was definitely wonky).

Overall, though, things like phantom weapon reach, the blue covenants being spotty at best, and the wonky poise make DS3 pretty rough around the edges. I think a lot of its issues are more noticeable in PvP though.

As an aside, it seems like pyromancy is the new dark magic. It would've been interesting to see it scale with some other stat rather than int, faith, or both. (Not sure what though. Luck?)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

That's because enchanting in general was stupid good damage increase.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So this weekend I went through the rest of the game. Archdragon Peak, Grand Archives and finishing up. Managed to solo both NK and SoC after too many tries.

Is it weird that I found SoC phase 2 easier than phase 1 sometimes? Phase 2 has giant tells on literally every attack and every attack is manageable unless you get caught in the juggle because you miss him winding up for a golf swing.
Meanwhile phase 1 has one easy mode (lance form), one medium mode (magic form) where you're mostly fine as long as you don't mess up your positioning, and then I never properly learned the animations for sword and flippy. Sword I kind of got down, but flippy I had no idea WTF I was doing other than "don't stand in purple".
And on my final attempt I even got that wrong and still managed to win, since poison does like no damage.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Alabaster White posted:

I want to know this too cause gently caress blues. If I can't win NOBODY wins :unsmigghh:

It's still fun to black crystal out of ganksquads or after giving the host the runaround for 15 minutes, just to deny them the catharsis of actually getting to kill you. Or to make them waste a seed if they try and get clever and use the enemies to finish you off.

e: on the same note, is there anything sweeter than fighting the host to a standstill, black crystal-ing out, and then warping back in to the same world fully restocked with them still injured/out of estus?

I'm gonna ask around. I want to say yes but only because of hatred for them.

Seriously if there's a host/phantom and then a blue sentinel comes in, and I don't have a lot of traps or mobs to use on them then yes I'm gonna take the cheap rear end in a top hat victory on the blue phantom than risk trying to fight possibly all of them at once.

Will report back soon on what situations that a blue will or will not get their Concord.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all blues should be murdered in protest of sin not being a thing in this game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fire Barrel posted:

I never really got the dodge claims for DS1 either. My dex/int build from DS1 rolled everywhere and I rarely used shields outside of particular encounters/boss fights. Mainly stuck to parrying dagger/buckler and poked people into oblivion.

I get the impression most of the fond memories outside of DS2's "But now I can roll directions while still locked on!", are people replacing knowing how Agility works and getting 15 I frames in heavy armor in their minds with attacks in the early game still hitting you while you are naked flipping. ESPECIALLY before you know about the whole agility thing.

Merely even knowing I had half the I frames of a fat roll let me finally beat the Pursuer, because up until then I was taking peoples word for it when they told me "LOL, just learn to dodge better!" when I asked why dodging seemed so much worse than DS1, which I had finally beaten during DS2 launch. "Oh, wait. My dodges really ARE that poo poo? Better dodge earlier to compensate then."

That mindset is probably what let me beat the dancer on the second try, to be fair. Because the hammered in lesson to dodge early to make up for poo poo dodges, meant I was always so far from the Dancer when she started doing the turbo blender I could reapply weapon buffs in peace.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Double posting with an update. Seems like if you disconnect, the blue will not get an Concord. Confirmed by a friend. Now trying to see if anyone even got a Concord if the invader black crystals out.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i don't approve of pulling the plug in order to prevent blues from getting their ears, but i do think that hosts should not help them ever. Earn Your Ear

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So is there a way to cure hollowing without loving up the hollowing questline entirely? I grow tired of looking like jerky.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Purging stone or untrue hollow ring.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
It's easy to re-invade, but it's rough to get summoned as a bluecop. So much petty spite. Personally, they have my sympathy, even when I'm invading.

Speaking of bluecopping, today I got summoned into a world with a phantom named "Ganking is Sad". ...Then the host immediately summoned a sun sign as well right after I showed up. At this point I felt bad and collapsed before then proceeding to spam the "I'm Sorry" stone. I almost managed to make a frowny face with prism stones before the invader finally bit the dust.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

So is there a way to cure hollowing without loving up the hollowing questline entirely? I grow tired of looking like jerky.

you can buy an item to reset your hollow level back to 0 from Yuria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If those londor dicks want you to sacrifice your looks for them then they aren't worth your time anyway. Kill yuria, cure the dark sigil and bask in your majestic aura of good fashion.

e: or do that