Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

72 hours for a day is absolutely fine 72 hours for night is not

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I still think 72 hours is too long for day.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
72 hours for a day is for Super Serious Hardcore players who are all super invested in calling one another idiots and/or scum.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I've played more than one game on other websites without deadlines. One of them lasted 6 full months and I was alive for all of it. It was terrible.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I could see 72 working for a large game, maybe, but basically every game I've run has had 48 hour days, and even those drag. Tempted to run a small game with 24 hour days and 12 hour nights, just to force something to happen.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Honestly a 72 hour day would just likely end before that when someone was hammered

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Either that or there'd be no talking at all for 48 hours then it'd be a 24 hour deadline anyway.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think Day 1 is where you feel the pain of the time limit the most. It feels like everyone shitposts for a while and then rushes to find someone to lunch at the last minute, no matter how long or short the day is. After that, there's info to go off of so things move a little faster.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

I could see 72 working for a large game, maybe, but basically every game I've run has had 48 hour days, and even those drag. Tempted to run a small game with 24 hour days and 12 hour nights, just to force something to happen.

This is (roughly) what I do for my games, and it works very well IMO. 24-36h days, 12-24h nights depending on when hammer drops.

Asiina posted:

Either that or there'd be no talking at all for 48 hours then it'd be a 24 hour deadline anyway.

Exactly this, with a 72 hour deadline people just won't post. Shorter deadlines (preferably plus some kind of anti-lurker mechanism) force people to play the game they signed up for.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

My setup is a 24" tube TV in here for consoles because my focus with those is generally the older the better (really, it's mostly for my NES, a lot of the other stuff is too much effort for too little enjoyment), my PC, which has two 21" LCDs on the desk next to it. The TV will often have ESPN or VH1 Classic on because I am old and like sports and music videos while I game or internet or whatever on the PC. Out in the main room where the bookcases, drums, amps, etc are, there's also my stereo setup: it's a lower-range Stanton turntable that I'll probably replace at some point, a mid-80s Realistic receiver that needs the pots cleaned up or replaced---sounds great as long as you don't have to turn a knob, and the most recent acquisition, a pair of Cerwin-Vega speakers that scream I AM LISTENING TO VAN HALEN CIRCA 1987 but sound loving great. We also have an ancient 15" 4:3 LCD TV in the kitchen with a DVD player that we got in a box of Omaha Steaks (??!!) hooked up to it for if I absolutely positively have to put on Depeche Mode while I'm cooking (this happens way more often than you think)

In all seriousness Allen, you sound pretty cool and fun to hang out with.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I also like shorter deadlines. I made it long because there were so many powers that I felt like people would need more time, but now that I think it about it, it's all in parallel so it doesn't matter.
I think I'll do 36 hour Days and 24 hour Nights though. I like to give a bit more than a day, especially with timezones and things, but maybe 36 hours would be too much for Nights.
I'm usually bored while commuting, so I'm always in the thread. But occasionally there's people claiming to have lives or something that "don't get a chance to post."

Also, I responded to some comments. Thanks, guys! :D

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 22, 2016

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Confirmed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I try. And, yeah, DHD is local to here, and we hang at times.

e: if anything, I am way better off the internet than on it

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2016

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh KB! I started Pandemic Legacy with my friends - we've played through February (won January, won February with two diseases eradicated) and holy crap the game is fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm running a large game atm, that has players in way too many timezones, and 72 hour days is nuts. 48 hour days, 24 hour nights seems perfect to me.

Would only consider that length if you were to include multiple day actions or mod events.

Like you run the risk of people burning out because the game is so 'slow'

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

I'm running a large game atm, that has players in way too many timezones, and 72 hour days is nuts. 48 hour days, 24 hour nights seems perfect to me.

Would only consider that length if you were to include multiple day actions or mod events.

Like you run the risk of people burning out because the game is so 'slow'

Have you looked at the doc? There's no shortage of Day or Night actions. ;D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If I were to run an Auspol only game in the future, I'd do 24 hour days and 12 hour nights.

Quick games a good game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Have you looked at the doc? There's no shortage of Day or Night actions. ;D

~No Comment on current games~

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

~No Comment on current games~

It's not a current game it's an open setup he posted for feedback ya dingus

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I just woke up and I'm phone posting from bed. :v:

I shall have a look in a bit.

If it's 72 hour days with multiple day actions, then that's cool and good, but I'd only keep it that length for the first day or 2

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
72 hours makes sense for a weekend start, but tbh the ~correct approach~ is to post your typical day/night timeframes in the thread op and let people sign up or not based on that

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That said if anyone ever has a 6 month day one they should leave. Forever.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have been running around my apartment packing, so I turned my music on quite loud so I could hear it everywhere. Except I also have my balcony door open so the cats can enjoy a nice day relaxing outside.

I just came out into the living room to see a couple standing on the sidewalk below just watching my apartment listening to my music.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

Oh KB! I started Pandemic Legacy with my friends - we've played through February (won January, won February with two diseases eradicated) and holy crap the game is fun.

Yeah. It's such a good game. We are at November now. So next time we play in a few weeks we will probably finish.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

DuckHuntDog posted:

I almost feel like 55" is too small for 4K at any reasonable sitting distance, but maybe as there is more content and if you don't mind sitting really close it will be fine.

I agree that most of the time in the living room the resolution will be indifferent, but I sit close to the TV when I play my videogames and, also, the 4K TV is just a better TV. It's got a better panel and also has HDR, which will be nice. If the 4k Blu-ray players come down in price I'll be set, and it won't feel like a futureproofing TV

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

That said if anyone ever has a 6 month day one they should leave. Forever.

That wasn't day one, it was the entire game.

It's the small mercies that leave you thankful.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Mafia chat, I'm looking for a new Netflix tv show to have on in the background while I do stuff, and I don't want to watch Lost again unless I have to. I generally like sci-fi and horror stuff, but I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Meinberg posted:

Mafia chat, I'm looking for a new Netflix tv show to have on in the background while I do stuff, and I don't want to watch Lost again unless I have to. I generally like sci-fi and horror stuff, but I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.

theres anime on netflix

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Tommunist posted:

theres anime on netflix

I think I've watched all the dubbed stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Meinberg posted:

Supernatural

Doctor Who

Stargate Atlantis

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Meinberg posted:

I pretty much have Psych on repeat constantly.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Meinberg posted:

I am banning you from all my games going forward based on this post.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CCKeane posted:

I pretty much have Psych on repeat constantly.

The contract is signed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

God drat it Meinberg

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

jon joe posted:

God drat it Meinberg

anime is blood

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
dub? DUB??? DUBUD?L>!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

dub? DUB??? DUBUD?L>!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

dub? DUB??? DUBUD?L>!

I can't watch subs in the background while doing other things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

I can't watch subs in the background while doing other things.

You can't actually watch anything without looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

You can't actually watch anything without looking at it.

Oh, sweet summer child