Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

It worked surprisingly well for Limitless.

Show literally got cancelled.

I mean ep 9-forward owned but no viewer saw that apparently. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xoidanor posted:

Show literally got cancelled.

I mean ep 9-forward owned but no viewer saw that apparently. :sigh:

I said it was a good show, not that the network didn't take it out back and put a bullet in its head. :(

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Xelkelvos posted:

Easiest way they bring Snart back is they say that the explosion blasted him through time and space and he didn't die because [Doctor Who-esque explanation]

The Impossible Snart. Scattered all over the crew's timeline, helping them be less awful.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Duke posted:

I really don't get why Rip was all "There's nothing we can do" when they could just go back to that Russian nuke auction and take him out there. Laurel wouldn't even be born yet (?), seems pretty fool proof to me.

Rip Hunter is the least competent time traveller ever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume Snart will be back in the CW-verse sooner or later. Because its a comic book and they always come back. If its not some time travel mumbo jumbo on Legends there will be an alternate earth version on Flash or Supergirl or something. As soon as he died I was certain we'd see him again.

That was a great ending to a pretty mediocre season. Cutting the Hawks is a great choice. I was kind of hoping Firestorm would gently caress off too (and it would have made sense since Stein and Jax have family they could have stayed behind for) but its ok. And oh yeah... MOTHERFUCKING JSA!?!?!

So yeah. I saw Hourman and he said "Justice Society" so I'm now in and wondering when we find out Jesse Quick is jumping over or there's an alternate/real Jay Garrick or whatever else because drat, I'm hooked.

So am I right in assuming that Time Travel Vandal Savage is still out there on his spaceship? I was surprised they didn't show it to us which is why I'm doubt it but the three Savages they killed were just the guys' in Savage's timeline, right? So the fourth Savage who set the whole plan into motion is still out there? Or was the Savage the Hawks/Rip killed Time Travel Vandal? In which case is there still a living Savage in his timeline until he gets kidnapped in Rip's time or did killing Savage in 75 or 55 kill him or why could they kill Savage in 77 if they killed him in 55? gently caress...

loving time travel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

All these questions are resolved with two simple answers. Vandal Savage is immortal, so they killed past versions of him in 58 and 75 and this didn't disrupt the timestream since he recovered some time later. When they killed the future one it was the time travelling Savage from 2166, and he really died.

So they didn't change history, except for 2166 onward.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

So am I right in assuming that Time Travel Vandal Savage is still out there on his spaceship? I was surprised they didn't show it to us which is why I'm doubt it but the three Savages they killed were just the guys' in Savage's timeline, right? So the fourth Savage who set the whole plan into motion is still out there? Or was the Savage the Hawks/Rip killed Time Travel Vandal? In which case is there still a living Savage in his timeline until he gets kidnapped in Rip's time or did killing Savage in 75 or 55 kill him or why could they kill Savage in 77 if they killed him in 55? gently caress...

loving time travel.

The Savage in 21-whatever was the Time Traveling Savage

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I was honestly cheering for Savage to shank Hawkman for a third time before ultimately biting it in the final episode.

Despite not getting my wish, I still thought that was a shockingly good finale.

Rip Hunter still loving sucks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hermetic posted:

The Impossible Snart. Scattered all over the crew's timeline, helping them be less awful.
Rip time skips to the millisecond before the snartbomb goes off, and instead drops the Rock of Thanagarr in the Oculus room to explode because

s2Spoilersz The Oculus was made out of Thanagrokk

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Y'all are kidding yourselves if you don't think the Hawkpeople won't come back if Thanagar is the big threat for next season.

On the plus side, entire episodes will be devoted to beating the poo poo out of Hawkpeople.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

I was kind of hoping Firestorm would gently caress off too (and it would have made sense since Stein and Jax have family they could have stayed behind for) but its ok.
I was wondering why no one suggested Stein bring his wife along. It's not like she'd be in any more danger than staying in Central City.

STAC Goat posted:

No no, they had to kill him at three different times at the same time because that way he'd be properly dead somehow but Rip's family stay dead for some reason and none of this makes any sense at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Tiggum posted:

I was wondering why no one suggested Stein bring his wife along. It's not like she'd be in any more danger than staying in Central City.

She'll be fine in Central City. I mean, yes, there's a speedster running around slaughtering people...

...But she's not a metahuman, so I think she's safe from Barry. :haw:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So what did they actually accomplish?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hermetic posted:

She'll be fine in Central City. I mean, yes, there's a speedster running around slaughtering people...

...But she's not a metahuman, so I think she's safe from Barry. :haw:

:golfclap:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nooneofconsequence posted:

It took them several months (or years depending on the character) to figure out that if they dogpile one guy someone can stab him.

In the end instead something something radiation and we got to see Mick use the flamethrower the way it was meant to be used.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love Ray watching Mick stone cold murder a dude without comment and being all "hey buddy let me help you escape the police real quick!"

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

I love Ray watching Mick stone cold murder a dude without comment and being all "hey buddy let me help you escape the police real quick!"

Because Mick Rory is the best character on the show. You'd help him get away with murder too.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Unless I misunderstand, what they accomplished is killing Savage just after he had conquered the world and done all of the things Rip hated him for, but just before the part where Savage saves the Earth from aliens.

So, in theory, even in victory over Savage, Rip still made things much worse for the entire human race, while also not accomplishing his actual goal.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Robot Hobo posted:

Unless I misunderstand, what they accomplished is killing Savage just after he had conquered the world and done all of the things Rip hated him for, but just before the part where Savage saves the Earth from aliens.

So, in theory, even in victory Rip still made things much worse for the entire human race.

Well logically they killed past Savage so all the Savage's should have disappeared according what previous episodes established, but then they still had to kill them all and-

Because seriously, no matter how much you think about it, it will never make any sense.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Savage being triple-dead is good enough for me. Time travel as a main plot point will never make logical sense. (is there a show where time travel actually makes sense?)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stargate?

Time travel really lends itself better to movies.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
If only they knew Vandal Savage had a weakness to blue kryptonite all this time they could've shaved off a ton of unnecessary filler episodes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sometimes quests are worth doing just to level up, even if you fail the quest itself.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

Savage being triple-dead is good enough for me. Time travel as a main plot point will never make logical sense. (is there a show where time travel actually makes sense?)

The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Continuum
12 Monkeys

or shows with good writers who lay out rules for time travel and follow them instead of just making poo poo up as they go.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How was Continuum not making poo poo up as it went along?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like 12 Monkeys but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it makes sense.

Tiggum posted:

No no, they had to kill him at three different times at the same time because that way he'd be properly dead somehow but Rip's family stay dead for some reason and none of this makes any sense at all.

I interpreted it as the same old plan of a Hawk had to kill Savage with a Thanagarian charged weapon, which is what happened in 2166 or whenever. But Mick and Sara went and killed old Savages in the process of stopping the meteor because it was more satisfying and effective than tying him up in the corner. It was after all the two "killers" on the team who did it. If Ray and Firestorm had been teamed up they probably would have hemmed and hawed about it.

What I was confused about was whether 2166 Savage was Time Travel Savage or a 4th version, but I guess everyone agrees it was Time Travel Savage so I guess he's dead for now. Which I'm totally fine with.

The destroyed the whole Time Master setup that was apparently manipulating time and history to control things. That's something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I kinda feel like once they discovered that there's no free will, the future is decided by evil Time Travel Tyrants, that should've become the main plot.

Instead they just take care of it in one episode and go back to killing the creepy generically foreign guy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xoidanor posted:

Well logically they killed past Savage so all the Savage's should have disappeared according what previous episodes established, but then they still had to kill them all and-

Because seriously, no matter how much you think about it, it will never make any sense.

This one actually does make sense since the two past Savages they killed were not killed the special way that's required to actually kill them so they would just regenerate after a short time. The Savage they did kill for good was the one from 2160, in the year 2016.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xoidanor posted:

How was Continuum not making poo poo up as it went along?

It still followed rules it laid down about time travel.

boom boom boom posted:

I kinda feel like once they discovered that there's no free will, the future is decided by evil Time Travel Tyrants, that should've become the main plot.

How were they evil?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How were they evil?

Once you're using a machine called THE OCULUS to bend time to your will, the onus of proving you're not evil is on you.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

Once you're using a machine called THE OCULUS to bend time to your will, the onus of proving you're not evil is on you.

Don't kinkshame :mad:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

But Mick and Sara went and killed old Savages in the process of stopping the meteor because it was more satisfying and effective than tying him up in the corner.
Pretty sure killing him in all three times was a required part of the plan. :shrug:

STAC Goat posted:

The destroyed the whole Time Master setup that was apparently manipulating time and history to control things. That's something.
Yes. It's one of the many ways they made things worse.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

Nice meltdown.

It... it was me! This is entire time, I was the one melting down!

It was meeeeeeeee :negative:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Robot Hobo posted:

So, in theory, even in victory over Savage, Rip still made things much worse for the entire human race, while also not accomplishing his actual goal.

If the rest of the Thanagarians suck as badly as Connor and Kendra, then I don't think the human race has much to worry about.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

EricFate posted:

If the rest of the Thanagarians suck as badly as Connor and Kendra...
I'm trying to imagine what that would even look like. Forget conquering Earth, they'd start by trying to conquer a very stubborn lid on a jar of peanut butter so they could make a sandwich, and by the end their entire civilization would be nothing but ash and cinder, with a single unopened jar sitting atop the ruins.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Hawk people couldn't kill Savage permanently because only an item from the room they were in when the magic happened could do that? But over thousands of years and hundred of lifetimes, it never occurred to them to just, like, throw Savage's body in some concrete. Or down a well. Or chain him to an anvil and toss him in the ocean.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

greatn posted:

This one actually does make sense since the two past Savages they killed were not killed the special way that's required to actually kill them so they would just regenerate after a short time. The Savage they did kill for good was the one from 2160, in the year 2016.

Except that due to time space meteor bullshit they weren't immortal at this time. There were multiple lines of dialogue to this fact and Rory even quipped about it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

The Hawk people couldn't kill Savage permanently because only an item from the room they were in when the magic happened could do that? But over thousands of years and hundred of lifetimes, it never occurred to them to just, like, throw Savage's body in some concrete. Or down a well. Or chain him to an anvil and toss him in the ocean.

The mechanism behind his resurrection is unclear, which means anything is possible. So for all we know, his dead body might be dematerializing and then rematerializing in a random location on Earth.

He is immortal, but can clearly die. He just comes back to life somehow. So even if they lock him up in an underground jail and throw away the key, he'd just die and resurrect elsewhere. Same with all the other methods mentioned, including throwing him into a volcano or the Sun.

In other words, you're thinking about it way too much. It's comic book logic... the type you're supposed to turn off your brain while consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Here's another question I have; Savage got him immortality powers from killing the Hawk people, right? I'm pretty sure they say that and you see him absorb energy from their bodies in the undone timeline where he killed them on The Flash.

So over the thousands of years and hundreds of lifetimes this has been going on, the Hawk people never once died before Savage could get there? They lived to adulthood every time? That seems far-fetched. And did they ever try suicide? I mean, their reincarnation is guaranteed, so you'd think they'd try it at least once. Or, just every time. If they killed themselves every life cycle for like, 500 years, either Savage's immortality would've worn off, or clearly, he doesn't actually need to kill them every time.

• Locked thread