Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

"Here are some hard numbers that refute your point entirely"

"Go gently caress yourself"

Sounds like normal discourse when it comes to that topic.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
The word mansplaining is a great indicator that you're talking to a racist.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

FAROOQ posted:

The word mansplaining is a great indicator that you're talking to a racist.

Or a multi-billionaire giant of the gaming industry.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I like the complete lack of self awareness in getting upset over a derogatory term but calling someone a oval office.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I like the complete lack of self awareness in getting upset over a derogatory term but calling someone a oval office.

I loving hate the C-word. Most other words I'm fine with but that one I have no patience for.

gently caress Notch, and gently caress the fact that he's Swedish. We can do better as a people

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Gamers ruined gaming

Which is funny in light of the fact that so many people blame it on literally everybody else. It's like...OK, so you have this core group of customers who hate everything, can't ever be pleased, and expect to be handed everything for free.

That is...not a good target market.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

trapped mouse posted:

I forget if it was brought up in this thread or not, but somewhere on the internet they do a best game ever poll (I think GameFAQs), and it's pretty boring because basically every year Final Fantasy 7 or Ocarina of Time wins, because these people can't see past their own nostalgia. But last year, it came down between Ocarina of Time and Undertale. Surprise, Undertale wins! Cue massive amounts of nerdrage that the game that wins every year DIDN'T win this year and the implication that no new games should be allowed to win because things were just better in the past. And it basically seems like a lot of people vote for certain games not because it's what they actually personally prefer, but it's what they're told is the "right" answer, and when a lot of people choose the "wrong" answer, it confuses and irritates them to no end. I'd love to see the nerdrage myself, I'm just not sure where to find it.

It was talked about in this thread and others.

My favorite part was when it was beating Melee, and people cried foul enough for GameFAQs to actually look into the results. Their findings were that there was vote tampering through bots, but they were for Melee. And it still wasn't nearly enough to beat Undertale.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

trapped mouse posted:

I forget if it was brought up in this thread or not, but somewhere on the internet they do a best game ever poll (I think GameFAQs), and it's pretty boring because basically every year Final Fantasy 7 or Ocarina of Time wins, because these people can't see past their own nostalgia. But last year, it came down between Ocarina of Time and Undertale. Surprise, Undertale wins! Cue massive amounts of nerdrage that the game that wins every year DIDN'T win this year and the implication that no new games should be allowed to win because things were just better in the past. And it basically seems like a lot of people vote for certain games not because it's what they actually personally prefer, but it's what they're told is the "right" answer, and when a lot of people choose the "wrong" answer, it confuses and irritates them to no end. I'd love to see the nerdrage myself, I'm just not sure where to find it.

The best thing about this is that UT is basically 8-bit retro aesthetic: the game, which should be right up these people's alley, and still they screech.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

It was talked about in this thread and others.

My favorite part was when it was beating Melee, and people cried foul enough for GameFAQs to actually look into the results. Their findings were that there was vote tampering through bots, but they were for Melee. And it still wasn't nearly enough to beat Undertale.

Breetai posted:

The best thing about this is that UT is basically 8-bit retro aesthetic: the game, which should be right up these people's alley, and still they screech.

So I followed the link RareAcumen posted and oh my god

---

quote:

Undertale is an obvious ripoff (Yes, RIPOFF, Inspired is just a poor man's excuse to copy off of someone elses work) of Mother/Earthbound.It's combat is dull and barely interactive, it's story is forced as if it's trying to create sad moments and shoves it randomly in the players face, and the jokes are just.. SO corny that it hurts.

It's sad that undertale fans are trying so hard to upvote this game on the polls, that they're resorting to advertising on other sites and botting. Undertale's going to be forgotten in 3-4 months, just like alot of other indie games that received massive praise such as FNAF and Shovel Knight. OoT however, has stood firmly in the hearts and minds of gamers worldwide for decades, and it'll always be with us.

quote:

In no way is Undertale better than OoT, in literally no way. This contest is dumb.

quote:

So tell me, how many bots did you guys spam the polls with then?

quote:

just another example that Gamefaqs is being trolled by a younger generation who are grossly misinformed. This is like comparing Braveheart to The Hunger Games and saying "Uh... it's more modern...it's better , my generation"

I hope for another gaming market crash. Whole industry needs to hit the reset button

No irony at all. God, such a pro-click.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everything got deleted but apparently twitter parody account KattWillFerrell got hacked by ISIS lmao

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nuebot posted:

Uh, he's doing that on purpose. Come on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Breetai posted:

The game encourages not just murdering everything in your path. Of course they hate it; the game wants you to be nice to things.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Breetai posted:

I haven't been this happy to have missed out on a controversy since gamergate. Each of the few rants I've seen has been just inscrutable.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Friend posts this:

And like clockwork:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you're worried about being labeled a creep when you talk to women, you probably are a creep.

I love this list. this says "I was in high school in the late 90s/early 2000s, and therefor everything I liked then is the best'. It's also a list of the games that every annoying nerd loves, which makes sense because most annoying nerds are about that age.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
These things that these people are getting so upset about are video games, right? Those electronic entertainment things you enjoy occasionally during your downtime away from actually experiencing the world?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

There 's no Total Annihilation on that list. Not a true gamer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

These things that these people are getting so upset about are video games, right? Those electronic entertainment things you enjoy occasionally during your downtime away from actually experiencing the world?

What, you still think video games are just a thing that you mess around when you want to have fun doing things? Wow, how old are you, grandpa, how's life back in the 1920's?

Bideo games are serious business and that's why everyone* who says anything bad about them must be destroyed.

*female

Same Undertale thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741724&pagenumber=473&perpage=40#post453077527

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BigglesSWE posted:

There 's no Total Annihilation on that list. Not a true gamer.

Or civilization, or any GTAs, or Day of the Tentacle, or a zillion other games. The instant you start insisting only X is a real thing, then you reveal yourself to be a fanatic.

I like how none of those women actually have any power but opinions, but we must rape and murder them because they say "maybe video games should be inclusive..." and "hey rape isn't funny".

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 03:11 on May 23, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm almost certainly going to regret asking, but what the gently caress is a sheeky forum?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2006 is such a weird cutoff point. Did something happen then?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I completely missed this but normally these articles tend to be "He never ate GMOs or got vaccinated, so therefor we all should do that!"

Byzantine posted:

A sonic game was released that was so bad even the sonic fetishists had to admit it was bad. (Sonic has never been good)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm almost certainly going to regret asking, but what the gently caress is a sheeky forum?

I have no idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Googling shows http://sheekyforums.com/ which looks less like an actual site than the kind you put up with your domain squating.

Also it seems like it had something to do with memes and 4chan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Byzantine posted:

That was the year the PS3/360/Wii generation launched, wasn't it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

kirbysuperstar posted:

twistedmentat posted:

Googling shows http://sheekyforums.com/ which looks less like an actual site than the kind you put up with your domain squating.

Also it seems like it had something to do with memes and 4chan.

Yeah, it's apparently a "scraper site" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scraper_site

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm pretty sure Undertale is not the sort of game I'd particularly enjoy, but all the people who hate it make me really want to play it anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure Undertale is not the sort of game I'd particularly enjoy, but all the people who hate it make me really want to play it anyway.

It's not worth the ten bucks but if you can get it cheap it's not a bad way to waste a few hours. You might be surprised. Or you might not :shrug: I thought it was okay and never played it more than once.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think the main criterion for whether one should play Undertale is "Do you suck at bullet hell games?"

If yes, don't bother, maybe watch one of the myriad let's plays. If no, sure, give it a try. It's cute and endearing.and you get to date a skeleton at one point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's not a hard bullet hell either, really. I've been finding Enter the Gungeon way harder than even the hardest Undertale bosses, and I haven't even gotten all that far in.

Well, okay. The genocide final boss is a trial, but he's meant to be.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

trapped mouse posted:

So I followed the link RareAcumen posted and oh my god

No irony at all. God, such a pro-click.

One thing I wonder is how anyone can think that Final Fantasy VII, the "best game of all time" is a straight, sword and sorcery RPG. Final Fantasy VII was itself a deconstruction where the hero is revealed to be someone he doesn't think he is, he has to dress up as a girl, and then we get forty hours of discussion of deep ecology, existentialism and qabala. Its only not an agenda because no one can understand it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FFVII (that's short for final fantasy VII) was the best game ever back in 1997 and it's the best game ever in 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Even when I was 12 I didn't care this much about video games. As someone who was in high school from 2000-2004, I feel like a missed a cue.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

FFVII, a game where various game mechanics just straight up don't work and never did (same as all the other early FFs as well), is truly the best game ever of all time because of gameplay. The game where you can basically mash attack to win unless you feel like breaking the game over your knee because of how hilariously unbalanced and broken the systems are. Truly something Undertale could never aspire to.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

One thing I wonder is how anyone can think that Final Fantasy VII, the "best game of all time" is a straight, sword and sorcery RPG. Final Fantasy VII was itself a deconstruction where the hero is revealed to be someone he doesn't think he is, he has to dress up as a girl, and then we get forty hours of discussion of deep ecology, existentialism and qabala. Its only not an agenda because no one can understand it.

most people who played final fantasy 7 don't actually remember a drat thing about final fantasy 7, is what i've found. which is too bad, because it's actually got a legitimately interesting story to tell, it's just not the one the fanboys (or... anything in its extended universe/sequels, what the hell happened there?) think it is. :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well Imgur loves him and that's all that matters.

http://imgur.com/gallery/8CBmG

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

RareAcumen posted:

Not gonna lie, calling mansplaining ''dicktating'' is pretty funny imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god, I can't believe my filters actually worked and prevented me from seeing this stupid garbage. I'm all verklempt that the filters worked.

But yeah I gotta say, "dicktating" is a really good word and I like it more than mansplaining. I might switch.