Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Yaaaaaaaaaaas Queen posted:

R-rust?

I haven't been keeping up with the development

yeah, it's one of the most sandbox games out there, it's server based so it might not technically be an 'mmo' but it's a real game unlike most of the things in this forum

you can't be a wizard, though. also, the game is stupid, but video games are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's easier to engage in pvp when you can pick a server that doesn't have many people on it, or switch servers the moment you're pked.

With sandbox MMOs, it's one server, so the guys spawn camping you will probably be there for an hour or two.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I've been beginning to think that the reason the genre hasn't come back is because of minecraft/dayz. Other genres have largely isolated the pieces of MMOs that worked best and implemented them. It's left mmos themselves with all their baggage and not much of an edge. You get your PvP and boss raids in Dark Souls, your crafting in survival games, large-scale combat in like battlefield or whatever. There's just less of a reason to subject yourself to an MMO these days.

A mmo needs to be pretty engaging for me these days. That thing about minecraft and arma 3 (gently caress day z sa) is me to a t.
I just dont have the time to spare these days for a sub standard mmo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's easier to engage in pvp when you can pick a server that doesn't have many people on it, or switch servers the moment you're pked.

With sandbox MMOs, it's one server, so the guys spawn camping you will probably be there for an hour or two.

that has a lot to do with establishment and time and money

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

yeah, it's one of the most sandbox games out there, it's server based so it might not technically be an 'mmo' but it's a real game unlike most of the things in this forum

you can't be a wizard, though. also, the game is stupid, but video games are stupid.

I'd have to agree

old rust was awesome until the hackers started flooding in and ruining everything

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Spawn camping is an issue caused by bad game design. I really like single server PVP-MMO's because its that persistence and constant looming threat that makes the pvp fun. Once you let people game the system by server hopping, a lot of that gets lost.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Pryce posted:

OH MAN. I worked on Jumpgate. Still have a sweet t-shirt and nothing else to show for it.

I'm sorry. It was fun while it lasted.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Tried to get on the test server during one of the allotted times, sat in a queue with 15 people waiting to hit a min threshold of 45... 10 minutes passed, nothing, logged off.

I was happy to help.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ugh

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
how can you still keep this up for over a year when the forums are dead because of this hugbox

its insane :psyduck:

petty even

the thread topic was "Guild Respect"

and the OP was asking about "What guild do you guys like and respect in this Playtest"

playtest

its a farce and a charade for something that's designed as a competitive pvp sandbox

just imagine if it goes live and people start melting down over items being stolen and Aunt Pann steps in and goes "cut it out, be nice."

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 20, 2016

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
People sure seem to give way too big a gently caress about lovely official forums for a non existent game. I don't get the problem. gently caress, I don't get why you'd want to use the forums anyways.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Yaaaaaaaaaaas Queen posted:

how can you still keep this up for over a year when the forums are dead because of this hugbox

its insane :psyduck:

petty even
*hugs u*

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also, there's always gonna be e-honor types.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
my honor is this big

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Zero posted:

my honor is this big

:eyepop:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

s-s-stop staring!!

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

malhavok posted:

People sure seem to give way too big a gently caress about lovely official forums for a non existent game.

From my understanding this actually exists in a form that is semi-playable.

Plus ya'll mother fuckers here lack perspective. What needs to be done is in-game with rub them with our hot sticky PvPenis then they come crying to the forums calling us naughty names, and then Mommy Pann will swoop in and punish the naughty pubbies causing further tears and bed-wetting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They intentionally courted the forumbane crowd to get them to pledge and once they got them they censored it because, oops it turns out a bunch of psychotic assholes are bad marketing for people who never experienced that flavor of crazy.

E: Also yeah, the game exists and is playable, but I'm not really sure how what they have now is going to turn into a video game that'll make for a compelling reason to log in for PvP on the regular.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 21, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well, let me let you in on a secret: It won't

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah probably.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Never preorder, never pay for an unfinished game. Wait for reviews that you trust once the game is finished and released. These are the lessons I learned in the last few years.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

Never preorder, never pay for an unfinished game. Wait for reviews that you trust once the game is finished and released. These are the lessons I learned in the last few years.

If you have enough disposable income there is something to gain from having a say in what kinds of games get made. As long as you realize you are simply making a statement and not buying an actual game though.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SweetBro posted:

Plus ya'll mother fuckers here lack perspective. What needs to be done is in-game with rub them with our hot sticky PvPenis then they come crying to the forums calling us naughty names, and then Mommy Pann will swoop in and punish the naughty pubbies causing further tears and bed-wetting.

I like this fanfic so far :frogon:

Kylra posted:

*hugs u*

bless you :kiddo:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Orv posted:

They intentionally courted the forumbane crowd to get them to pledge and once they got them they censored it because, oops it turns out a bunch of psychotic assholes are bad marketing for people who never experienced that flavor of crazy.

Thats exactly what happened

And there were a few crazies, let me tell ya...

I'm talking crazy on the level of naked muscular guy jacking off over mutilating your corpse continuously in a primal frenzy kind of pvp crazy

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 21, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

I'm talking crazy on the level of naked muscular guy jacking off over mutilating your corpse continuously in a primal frenzy kind of pvp crazy

Go on...

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

I'd rather take a gamble then let a bunch of venture capitalists or publishers with dollar signs in their eyes get involved. Every game I've crowdfunded, I've enjoyed. Hell, a couple of them were my GOTYs. That's more than I can say about literally any MMO that has released in the past 12 years since World of Warcraft became a thing. Sure, none of the MMOs I've funded have been released, but that's because the development cycle are pretty drat long but the builds I have access to are fun.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 22, 2016

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

whats a really good crowdfunded game besides PoE?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

whats a really good crowdfunded game besides PoE?

Had to look up a list but I've played these games and I enjoyed them.

Wasteland 2
Torment 2 (early access build)
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
Divinity Original Sin
Kingdom Come Deliverance (what I've played at least)
Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong
Satellite Reign
Grim Dawn
Xenonauts
Darkest Dungeon
Shovel Knight
Legend of Dungeon
Guns of Icarus Online
Gods Will Be Watching
Among the Sleep (first person horror game from the perspective of a toddler)
FTL
Superhot
Sunless Sea
Octodad Dadliest Catch
Sir You are Being Hunted
Contagion
Ravaged
Hard West
Lifeless Planet
Organ Trail
The Escapists
Frontiers
Insurgency (failed Kickstarter but got a build out in early access and funded development through that entirely)
The Banner Saga

Verdict is still out on Bard's Tale IV (backed it because they gave away Wasteland 2 with a cheap pledge) but I haven't really followed development. Shards Online seems alright so far and The Repopulation was cool until servers closed because the HeroEngine people couldn't guarantee them whether they'd be in business six months in the future so they're currently rebuilding on UE4.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 22, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
You forgot Untertale.

And you know I kickstarted some of those too man. But even in the kickstarter thread people will laugh at you for kickstarting an MMO. That's just how prone to failure MMOs are. And full disclosure, I've even given money to help fund a PvP sandbox mmo (Das Tal, I'm testing it this weekend even). But even though I've had a dev member personally discuss with me pretty much everything I could reasonably want in an MMO and how to get there, I'm still bracing for failure. That's just how MMOs are. They can go bad for all the reasons a normal game can plus a dozen others. That's why people will laugh for giving money them and really expecting things to come from it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

You forgot Untertale.

And you know I kickstarted some of those too man. But even in the kickstarter thread people will laugh at you for kickstarting an MMO. That's just how prone to failure MMOs are. And full disclosure, I've even given money to help fund a PvP sandbox mmo (Das Tal, I'm testing it this weekend even). But even though I've had a dev member personally discuss with me pretty much everything I could reasonably want in an MMO and how to get there, I'm still bracing for failure. That's just how MMOs are. They can go bad for all the reasons a normal game can plus a dozen others. That's why people will laugh for giving money them and really expecting things to come from it.

Undertale was crowdfunded? poo poo. That's one hell of a success story.... And yeah, Kickstarted MMOs are extremely risky so I generally only do $50 at most. Elyria/Shards/The Repopulation are the only exceptions where I've paid over $100. Generally I find that I've had a way better success rate with Kickstarted MMOs than the poo poo to come out since WoW

I did the $100 layaway for Crowfall but the pledge expires after release so I'll be able to watch and see whether I want to put more in, and I can receive my $26 down payment back at any time and just put it towards merch or a basic package.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 22, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
See though, $50 is the pricier end of what most people would spend on a game that already exists and they can hear people say was a good game. I mean maybe you just bleed money or something, in which case congrats, but can you see why we might think you look silly for being such an ardent defender of throwing money at the wind?

I spent 35 bux, testing on and off for a year and a half, and you're still free to chuckle at me.

Edit: On second thought, if you're in the wind-throwing business, toss some at Das Tal too it's probably up your alley.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 22, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'd rather take a gamble then let a bunch of venture capitalists or publishers with dollar signs in their eyes get involved. Every game I've crowdfunded, I've enjoyed. Hell, a couple of them were my GOTYs. That's more than I can say about literally any MMO that has released in the past 12 years since World of Warcraft became a thing. Sure, none of the MMOs I've funded have been released, but that's because the development cycle are pretty drat long but the builds I have access to are fun.

I'm incredibly drunk right now, but remind me tomorrow to explain why everything you love is wrong.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SweetBro posted:

I'm incredibly drunk right now, but remind me tomorrow to explain why everything you love is wrong.

Hey, FTL is good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The people who continually post never to pre-order and then contribute nothing else are infinitely worse than any bad game I've ever pre-ordered or Kickstarted.

That said, Kickstarting MMOs is analogous to burning money only in that the money no-longer exists. It's more like throwing your money into a black hole, doomed to an eternity of meaningless existence.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I see that the thread has restarted the cycle and we are back to complaining about kickstarters and forum mods. It's the Circle of Shitposting, and it moves us all (into the dumpster).

I suppose the next step is for me to make a big effortpost about something but I've been too busy with other games lately to pay much attention to Crowfall, so welp.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Pavlov posted:

See though, $50 is the pricier end of what most people would spend on a game that already exists and they can hear people say was a good game. I mean maybe you just bleed money or something, in which case congrats, but can you see why we might think you look silly for being such an ardent defender of throwing money at the wind?

I spent 35 bux, testing on and off for a year and a half, and you're still free to chuckle at me.

Edit: On second thought, if you're in the wind-throwing business, toss some at Das Tal too it's probably up your alley.

But you are not spending money on a game. You are spending money on having a say on what kinds of games get made. I backed this and camelot unchained (which looks a lot worse than this at this point) because I want someone to at least be trying to get games like that made.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Wasn't there a das tal thread somewhere? I am suddenly reminded to check on how that is coming along.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah it's here. Pretty dead though. I'm probably making a new one when it hits beta.

Edit: But to answer your question, slow but steady. It's an actual game now, just on a much smaller scale than a complete mmo.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 22, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

To keep my promise.

Sure, none of the MMOs I've funded have been released, but that's because the development cycle are pretty drat long but the builds I have access to are fun.
Okay let me explain the important part of an MMO. It's the first M, it stands for MASSIVE. Any chucklefuck can throw together a semi-persistent multiplayer game, the difficult part is making sure that poo poo scales past 100/300/etc. concurrent users. The reason why those builds show promise is because they don't have to deal with the reality of actually being an MMO and the moment they do, they will crumble apart like all of their crowd-funded progenitors.

I'd rather take a gamble then let a bunch of venture capitalists or publishers with dollar signs in their eyes get involved.

I think you misunderstand something. The reason why these games don't have publishers or VCs isn't because the developers chose to reject them, it's because no VC/Publisher would be loving retarded enough to invest so much money/effort into something that's historically been proven to fall flat on it's face. The moment something begins to show itself as being commercially viable I guarantee you at least one of them will get involved regardless of your desires.

Ignoring the fact that this is a year old. Half of these studios were working multiple projects at a time. And the massive difference in development efficiency between small vs large teams. Star Citizen still lacks in anything resembling a minimal viable product for the amount of time invested. Also ESO has an insane amount of content (which no one actually cares about because the game is dull as gently caress to play).

That being said, I'm actually excited for Crowfall because the developers seem to actually comprehend the challenges of scale and have answered the issue of a design level (the little sharded campaign poo poo which the name of escapes me right now) rather than making overblown impossible to fulfill "one big world" promises like every other Kickstarter mmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

SweetBro posted:

That being said, I'm actually excited for Crowfall because the developers seem to actually comprehend the challenges of scale and have answered the issue of a design level (the little sharded campaign poo poo which the name of escapes me right now) rather than making overblown impossible to fulfill "one big world" promises like every other Kickstarter mmo.

i was with you until this section. the cf devs still want massive worlds but they will be sharded. unless they recently scaled back from the 200+ per shard