Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TwoStepBoog posted:

Out of curiosity, is it possible for more seats to be made on a board? If only to get Russ back.

It is, but it'd be very unnecessary until the company goes public or they take on another round of funding as right now the only investor is Raviga. I'd love to see Russ make a cameo somehow too, though.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bighead probably can't join pied piper without forfeiting his contract with Hooli.

Since they bought him out I think he'd be in the clear, really all he had was an NDA stating he couldn't talk about anything he did or disparage Hooli, so as long as Pied Piper doesn't build a potato cannon they're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hooli is more of a caricature of Silicon Valley tech companies in general than a shot at any one of them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GobiasIndustries posted:

It is, but it'd be very unnecessary until the company goes public or they take on another round of funding as right now the only investor is Raviga. I'd love to see Russ make a cameo somehow too, though.

Since they bought him out I think he'd be in the clear, really all he had was an NDA stating he couldn't talk about anything he did or disparage Hooli, so as long as Pied Piper doesn't build a potato cannon they're set.

I'm not sure i remember correctly but wasn't he specifically forbidden from doing anything compression\middle-out related?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Avasculous posted:

A counterexample for angry drunks that I thought was good writing: Gavin and his sycophants not recognizing any of the people he employed for 7 years and fired a week ago was totally unbelievable and totally great because it perfectly suited him.

Eh, I can believe it for a Google-sized company. It's not like he works with them day to day, after all, they're just a few of the tens of thousands of people working for him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not sure i remember correctly but wasn't he specifically forbidden from doing anything compression\middle-out related?

Nope! Just don't talk poo poo about the company and don't talk about what you 'did' at the company.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nope! Just don't talk poo poo about the company and don't talk about what you 'did' at the company.
Which is perfect because him saying "i did nothing of note" is both what he actually did and what they want to hear.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ten_twentyfour posted:

Quoting for when you're wrong.

Just wanted to say, "gently caress you!" :cheeky:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Dave posted:

I do think that's possible, but I also think Erlich might bankrupt him, since he's basically taking control over Big Head's 20m and Big Head doesn't say no to anything.

There's no way. Now they have a combined wealth of Twenty Million and Thirty Six thousand dollars.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

Although I believe having Gilfoyle as some sort of interim CEO would make for some good comedy, even if it doesn't make much sense. He's been shown as the most realistic and most capable of the bunch.

Capable yes, but realistic? He quit because his work wasn't idealistic enough for him. His central conceit is that he doesn't give a gently caress.

EDIT: Hooli to me is like a combination of HP and AOL

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bighead probably can't join pied piper without forfeiting his contract with Hooli.

However unrealistic, Gavin will see it as a power move and let him keep it all as some sort of parry. Bighead will always fail upwards.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I hope that actor gets paid bank to play such a minor/major roll.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TwoStepBoog posted:

Although I believe having Gilfoyle as some sort of interim CEO would make for some good comedy, even if it doesn't make much sense. He's been shown as the most realistic and most capable of the bunch.

"I hereby decree that Dinesh be forced to wear his horrible gold chain every day so that I may mock him relentlessly."

"You can't force me to wear it."

"I will pay you a thousand dollars per burn levied."

"...can I get that in writing?"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hooli is a representative of the companies that exist to make the world a better place.

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's no way. Now they have a combined wealth of Twenty Million and Thirty Six thousand dollars.

Yeah, Big Head received $20 million, bought a house for $X million, and still has $20 million.

I really don't understand this sort of SV middle-out finance. Also, from the website:

quote:

A Middle-Out Compression Solution
Making Data Storage Problems Smaller

That's such a terrible tag line for a company. 'We won't solve your problems but might make some of them smaller' :gerty:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah, Big Head received $20 million, bought a house for $X million, and still has $20 million.

I really don't understand this sort of SV middle-out finance.

Hooli was dumping money by the truckload on him even back in season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He received 20 million as a severance package. We don't know what they paid as his salary.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Cojawfee posted:

He received 20 million as a severance package. We don't know what they paid as his salary.

It was enough for a boat and a boat guy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Non-competes are generally illegal/unenforceable in California. Besides, Gavin probably didn't care about that since he knew that Bighead is incompetent.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cicero posted:

Non-competes are generally illegal/unenforceable in California.

Actually, this is going way back, but that was something that confused me a little from the end of season 2.

So Jared, Richard, and 20% of Hooli's employees have an illegal non-compete clause in their employment contract. Would that really invalidate the entire contract?

I thought that when that kind of thing happened, only the unenforceable bit got thrown out, plus possible penalties for whatever time/cost enforcing it caused.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Avasculous posted:

Actually, this is going way back, but that was something that confused me a little from the end of season 2.

So Jared, Richard, and 20% of Hooli's employees have an illegal non-compete clause in their employment contract. Would that really invalidate the entire contract?

I thought that when that kind of thing happened, only the unenforceable bit got thrown out, plus possible penalties for whatever time/cost enforcing it caused.

Not usually. In contract law generally only the illegal clause is unenforceable. I'm sure that there are some exceptions, but employment law likely isn't one of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Avasculous posted:

This will likely depend on California specific law - as has been said, non-competes are generally unenforceable in California except in very limited, well defined circumstances. Whether or not that would invalidated the entire contract would probably depend on how the overall contract is structured and the specific verbiage used. IANAL but I do contract review as part of my job, and I could easily see the contract being structured in such a way that one clause would make the entire terms of employment unenforceable. Of course then you could make the argument that a company the size of Hooli wouldn't use such poorly written standard employment contracts, etc. etc.

Regardless, it's a believable deus ex machina unless you're pretty well educated on contract/employment law specific to California.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bring back old gbs posted:

However unrealistic, Gavin will see it as a power move and let him keep it all as some sort of parry. Bighead will always fail upwards.

Yes, and I hope it keeps going that way. He's such a genuinely likeable guy and his dumb luck is constantly hilarious. Erlich could bankrupt him with his scheming and he'd be like "Oh, that stinks. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted." and walk away to get a slurpee only to have the next big tech company see him walking and beg him to come head up their R&D division.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The only thing is, Erlich is trying to cut himself in on that Incubator action and taking a percentage of these other ideas is still a better plan than killing the business model.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Medullah posted:

Yes, and I hope it keeps going that way. He's such a genuinely likeable guy and his dumb luck is constantly hilarious. Erlich could bankrupt him with his scheming and he'd be like "Oh, that stinks. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted." and walk away to get a slurpee only to have the next big tech company see him walking and beg him to come head up their R&D division.

Gavin would see him bankrupting his incubator as some sort of power move and re-hire bighead back,

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Deference and social awkwardness can often be mistaken for confidence and gamesmanship by insecure people in leadership positions.

Also I've recently spent a bunch of time with designers and front end developers and that Dang interaction gave me chills.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a bit of legal boilerplate called a severability clause that basically says "if any part of this contract is invalidated, the rest stands"'. They exist to prevent the season 2 finale from happening.

(Also if you're the party with more power in the negotiation you can pull stuff like sticking blatantly illegal and unenforceable clauses in your contacts without endangering the contract itself when one of your, say, tenants gets wise and sues your rear end.)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My firm got bought, and one of the divisions on the chopping block had meetings with "workflow experts" from the new owners and now they have to fill out "audit reports" accounting for their time, and it's like Mike Judge wrote "Office Space" just for them. Everyone was calling the guys the two Bobs before they got here, and now all the workers are doing TPS reports.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I hate Richard Hendricks more and more each and every episode.

Watching him be a massive baby every episode really drags down a great show.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I don't know if anyone else has caught this but code/rag has a real fake website.

http://www.coderag.com

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

T.J. Miller got a case of Pliny the Elder for this episode, because of course he did.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 23, 2016

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
"Have you ever seen a naked dead person?"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Did Big Head violate his NDA by going to the press? He's going to lose the 20mil isn't he?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I hate Richard Hendricks more and more each and every episode.

Watching him be a massive baby every episode really drags down a great show.
I dunno, I like it when his whining (or, in this case, nonsensical ranting) gets him into hot water. Too bad it got resolved in 30 seconds.

Jared once again gave the best/saddest lines. "I found my biological father in a militia in the Ozarks."

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

gohmak posted:

Did Big Head violate his NDA by going to the press? He's going to lose the 20mil isn't he?

Probably. And he probably won't care but Erlich will go nuts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gohmak posted:

Yes, but depending on how the new company is structured and whether or not the papers hold up, he may have transferred all of his assets and Hooli/Gavin can only go after him, not Bachmanity.

Which of course still means he'd have to sell his incubator and move in with Erlich, given that they're a partnership.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Jared still has the best jokes and Laurie is still a comedy black hole. Holy poo poo she's bad.

Love the maritime tirade and Bachman Capital: "I bring the Bachman he brings the capital".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bighead will fail upwards somehow from this slip up. Literally nothing bad can happen to Bighead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gohmak posted:

If she's a journalist as she claims to be, she can hide her sources. As long as Bighead's identity as the source remains a secret, there's nothing Gavin can do. Trying to stop it or find the source will end up in the Streissand effect and just make it a bigger story. Either that or Gavin tries to get Bighead's money like Shooting Blanks said but all he has left is maybe the house.

This episode was like a roller coaster but it somehow brought everything back to being good again.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cojawfee posted:

If she's a journalist as she claims to be, she can hide her sources. As long as Bighead's identity as the source remains a secret, there's nothing Gavin can do. Trying to stop it or find the source will end up in the Streissand effect and just make it a bigger story. Either that or Gavin tries to get Bighead's money like Shooting Blanks said but all he has left is maybe the house.

This episode was like a roller coaster but it somehow brought everything back to being good again.

Eh, I think that it's too big a thread to let dangle. I don't remember how the conversation went specifically, but the reporter asked Bighead when it happened - if he gave her a too precise an answer (on or off screen) Gavin might be able to figure it out. What he does about it is a different story though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I love these episodes but I can't stop rooting for Bignead. He is honestly the best character in this show. He is only surpassed by Blayne's SWOT board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Journalist? Cmon, you're a tech blogger.

• Locked thread