Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So what I've learned from SovCits, is that if you bark the words Liberty, Constitution, and Tyranny long and loud enough, your problems are supposed to disappear in a puff of red white and blue smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PST posted:

I found the 'Eternal Patriot' piece of art and it's definitely something

Needs more tarp.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If any American symbol could represent LaVoy, a man who was definitely not down with immigration, it would be a torch.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
:ghost: :ghost:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PST posted:

I found the 'Eternal Patriot' piece of art and it's definitely something

The gofundme description (because of course there is) definitely described tarpman in an entirely accurate way:

this is a gold fringed statue and as such is only fit as a naval memorial

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sovcit movements are on a front page deep dive on the washington post. I'll read it shortly, but it looks really well done.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
gently caress that's long

they mention the couple that killed the cops in Nevada after a stay at the Bundy Ranch but to be fair weren't they kicked out for being too crazy even for them?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Murderion posted:

"Tarpman, the Eternal Patriot is flashing!"

"Morse code! The refuge must need help! Hurry, Flagboy, get this down!"

"... . -. -.. / ... -. .- -.-. -.- ..."

"My God... it's worse than we feared."

:golfclap: This didn't go unnoticed.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Geostomp posted:

He's probably got the only firm telling them something other than the only smart advice for their situation: "Shut up, and take a deal!"

Like they'd listen to anything else. I doubt this firm was picked for it's legal ability in actual court rather than because they'd be willing to take on the batshit fight

Lord of Pie posted:

If there's one thing the modern art scene definitely needed more of it was penises made out of poo poo from the sale bin at hobby lobby

Kinda what I thought too. Looks like someone hit up the local Family Dollar and bought a bunch of random poo poo for $5.99
And a can of lovely spray paint from behind the woodshed out back

Discendo Vox posted:

Sovcit movements are on a front page deep dive on the washington post. I'll read it shortly, but it looks really well done.

Basically, if you needed evidence that sovcits are made up of retards, that article has it all

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 12:39 on May 22, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It's not really the same thing but I watched Green Room and it was a pretty good depiction of fringe types in Oregon. Granted yoi actually knew who the nazis were for the most part

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

It's not really the same thing but I watched Green Room and it was a pretty good depiction of fringe types in Oregon. Granted yoi actually knew who the nazis were for the most part

That movie was really good but painful to watch

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress that's long

they mention the couple that killed the cops in Nevada after a stay at the Bundy Ranch but to be fair weren't they kicked out for being too crazy even for them?

That was the claim the Bundy's made after those two kamikazed, certainly.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

SocketWrench posted:

Basically, if you needed evidence that sovcits are made up of retards, that article has it all

Just have a look at their "emergency supplies." If the worst were to happen, they will have all the essential condiments.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rebel Blob posted:

Just have a look at their "emergency supplies." If the worst were to happen, they will have all the essential condiments.

...aren't you supposed to refrigerate a lot of those after opening? Mayo and mustard, surely.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 22:00 on May 22, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rebel Blob posted:

You laugh, but when the mutant burger men come knocking, they'll be ready.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Rebel Blob posted:

I am Jack's fully stocked prepper shelter.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Discendo Vox posted:

...aren't you supposed to refrigerate a lot of those after opening? Mayo and mustard, surely.

The mayonnaise is likely pasteurized and sealed so as long as you don't open it it should be shelf stable indefinitely - not to mention you don't technically need to refrigerate it short term because it has enough acid in it to keep most bacteria and fungus at bay.

Mustard is predominantly vinegar and salt so it also isn't likely to go bad if kept sealed at room temperature.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

This reminds of a story about some militia group and they showed off their "survival rations", which was a giant 20oz can of Dinty Moore beef stew, package of crackers, and a juice box in a plastic bag.

Discendo Vox posted:

Not just that, but because of the eggs used in it's manufacture, mayonnaise tends to spoil very quickly. I believe that mayonnaise has a shelf life of 2-3 months unopened and unrefrigerated. Mayonnaise substitutes that don't use eggs like Just Mayo have longer shelf-lifes. Once it's opened, you have probably about a 1 week unrefrigerated before it goes bad enough that it gets hazardous. However, you could probably eat a 30z jar of mayonnaise by itself and get 3 days worth of calories. You'll hate yourself for doing it, but it will at least keep you alive.

Of course, the best improvised survival rations are alcohol. People used to live off the stuff during the early colonial days, as you could get enough sustenance from rum as with food. 750ml bottle of 80 proof rum and vodka has something like 1600 calories, 100 proof spirits have something like 2000 calories, and Bacardi 151 is something like 121 calories per fluid ounce, making it have something like 3,000 for a .75 liter bottle.

Advantageous
Apr 8, 2012

Just do actually remember to keep some food in your diet, so you don't wind up with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernicke%E2%80%93Korsakoff_syndrome . However, the associated psychosis may be difficult to separate from their normal behavior.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

This reminds of a story about some militia group and they showed off their "survival rations", which was a giant 20oz can of Dinty Moore beef stew, package of crackers, and a juice box in a plastic bag.

Not just that, but because of the eggs used in it's manufacture, mayonnaise tends to spoil very quickly. I believe that mayonnaise has a shelf life of 2-3 months unopened and unrefrigerated. Mayonnaise substitutes that don't use eggs like Just Mayo have longer shelf-lifes. Once it's opened, you have probably about a 1 week unrefrigerated before it goes bad enough that it gets hazardous. However, you could probably eat a 30z jar of mayonnaise by itself and get 3 days worth of calories. You'll hate yourself for doing it, but it will at least keep you alive.

Of course, the best improvised survival rations are alcohol. People used to live off the stuff during the early colonial days, as you could get enough sustenance from rum as with food. 750ml bottle of 80 proof rum and vodka has something like 1600 calories, 100 proof spirits have something like 2000 calories, and Bacardi 151 is something like 121 calories per fluid ounce, making it have something like 3,000 for a .75 liter bottle.

I'm glad I never got a taste for mayo as a kid and it's just kinda gross and oily to me now because it sure is a disgusting product conceptually :barf:

I mean I realize a lot of sauces use it as a base so it's not like I'm not consuming it but I am happy to say that I have never owned a giant tub of gelatinous fat besides my own rear end :rimshot:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I use it with tuna, and that's it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Basically, just have a bunch of water, alcohol and vitamins and you'll be good?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I consider mayonnaise to be essential, but also consider Miracle Whip to be the devil.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mayo on fries, that is all.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rebel Blob posted:

That just makes me think of those moron "super couponers" that buy a shitton of useless bullshit like 30 lifetimes worth of toothpaste or a hundred bottles of mustard. But when it comes down to actual food and perishables there's not a damned thing in their fifty carts.
Congrats on hoarding a thousand bucks of useless poo poo you'll never use for $1.99, I guess

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'm glad I never got a taste for mayo as a kid and it's just kinda gross and oily to me now because it sure is a disgusting product conceptually :barf:

I mean I realize a lot of sauces use it as a base so it's not like I'm not consuming it but I am happy to say that I have never owned a giant tub of gelatinous fat besides my own rear end :rimshot:

i like mayo, but not enough to eat that poo poo alone by the spoonful. Enough to flavor works for me. Can't even stand it when subway slathers that poo poo on like it's going out of style.

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 00:41 on May 23, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mayo on fries, that is all.

Get this French gently caress out of the freedom zone

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Alan Smithee posted:

Get this French gently caress out of the freedom zone

Ameri-mayo on Freedom fries, if you prefer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I will say poutine is surprisingly good and I'm amazed Americans didn't beat these quasi French knockoffs to the gravy-on-everything-including-fries thing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

That just makes me think of those moron "super couponers" that buy a shitton of useless bullshit like 30 lifetimes worth of toothpaste or a hundred bottles of mustard. But when it comes down to actual food and perishables there's not a damned thing in their fifty carts.
Congrats on hoarding a thousand bucks of useless poo poo you'll never use for $1.99, I guess
I ended up in line behind a couple of those fuckers one time. Had to wait behind them for half an hour before being rung up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I use mayo on a bunch of stuff recipe-wise and it doesn't go bad nearly as fast as you nancies worry provided you keep it at fridge temp. It's when it's been out in the sun all day that it becomes the Church Picnic Killer

Living off just alcohol (especially near pure stuff like B151) is a really bad idea. Beer is workable for longer because it has calories from things other than alcohol in it and whatever. Back when cholera used to be a common thing from communal water supplies, brewers who typically drank nothing but beer were the only ones safe from it because the process of brewing kills waterborne microbes.

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 02:34 on May 23, 2016

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I use mayo on a bunch of stuff recipe-wise and it doesn't go bad nearly as fast as you nancies worry provided you keep it at fridge temp. It's when it's been out in the sun all day that it becomes the Church Picnic Killer

Well yes, but keeping it at fridge temp isn't so easy when you're living out of a bomb shelter. Hence, a dubious choice for doomsday preppers who don't intend to eat the entire jug in short order.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

McNerd posted:

Well yes, but keeping it at fridge temp isn't so easy when you're living out of a bomb shelter. Hence, a dubious choice for doomsday preppers who don't intend to eat the entire jug in short order.

Oh it's a dumbass choice for them with no real redeeming feature. A bad choice among many. Even if they huddled down in a cave it still wouldn't be cool enough. I just felt the need to defend the honor of a noble and versatile foodstuff

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

McNerd posted:

Hence, a dubious choice for doomsday preppers who don't intend to eat the entire jug in short order.

Have you seen doomsday preppers? Of course they plan to eat the whole jug.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel deeply, deeply sorry for the people who have to share an enclosed space with them days into eating nothing but TVP and canned chili and (if they're of a certain mindset, as the previous comment was spot on) Everclear and bottled water

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Proper forethought is not the forte of the prepper/patriot/idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Living off just alcohol (especially near pure stuff like B151) is a really bad idea. Beer is workable for longer because it has calories from things other than alcohol in it and whatever. Back when cholera used to be a common thing from communal water supplies, brewers who typically drank nothing but beer were the only ones safe from it because the process of brewing kills waterborne microbes.

Also depending on the type beer also has different types of vitamins

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I feel deeply, deeply sorry for the people who have to share an enclosed space with them days into eating nothing but TVP and canned chili and (if they're of a certain mindset, as the previous comment was spot on) Everclear and bottled water

I thought that I had posted a comment about this but didn't realized that I hadn't hit submit. Anyway, what I was going to post was this:

Alcohol also has the added benefit of passing the time. If you're stuck in a bunker for 3-4 months, waiting radioactive fallout to drop off to background radiation or lying low from the NWO, you're going to want something to keep you from going stir crazy.

Of course, I have to amend that, since that's if you were by yourself. With other people, it would likely result in a close-quarters battle where all the participants would be bleeding out in a small room.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

etalian posted:

Also depending on the type beer also has different types of vitamins

This is true, in addition to the fact that the thick and <5% alcoholic beer that people used to drink by the gallon would be unappealing to people nowadays. Monks were famous for being fat drunks with legendary breweries.

That's not to say people haven't tried to live on basically just spirits though. Back in the day the Appalachians used to be an impassable hurdle, taking so long to skirt that any crop would be half rotten by the time it got to the coast. The obvious solution? Distill the corn into whisky and sell that! It keeps forever. Also was the case with apples, and why Johnny Appleseed was much adored.

It used to be standard in Colonial America to have 3 drinks in before 10am. Someone (a lightweight, admittedly) tried to match this and failed

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

red19fire posted:

Proper forethought is not the forte of the prepper/patriot/idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

This show was so good. My favorite one was probably the preppers who were afraid that Pittsburgh was gonna be seized by terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

The article leads to the Southern Poverty Law Center's hand guide of whack jobs by state, so I bit the bullet and checked out my local loonies. I clicked on the first thing that was for sale and wound up on a poorly laid out site that sold survival gear. By Survival gear I mean knives, lots of knife. Like six categories of knives.

Oh and fire starters.

Damascus Thors' Hammer Fire Striker With Ferro Toggle on a black Paracord Lanyard.

I couldn't figure out how to buy anything, but I did find this couple randomly placed in the catalog among all the knives for sale.