Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Determination is a poo poo stat for blm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Spell/skill speed is generally a meh stat because it will run you the gently caress out of your resource real goddamn fast. BLM does not have this problem because it effectively has infinite MP! Additionally, casting faster means you can squeeze in more casts within enochian/astral fire without having to refresh stuff, which also gives you extra time to, say, run/teleport out of AoEs and such.

Spell speed is the god stat for BLMs, with crit following after. (Generally you want to go in hard on one or the other, because of the way they both scale, but as a Non-Raiding Casual I just try to get as many pieces with both as possible, prioritizing spell speed.)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

Determination is a poo poo stat for blm

Getting your relic weapon fills u w determination
i just meemd

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Kinda disappointed in the way this patch is looking unless the trailer really blows me away, I know the dragons are central to the Ishgard/Heavensward plot but killing the same ones in the same places over and over while making little to no progress in the story is getting tiresome. Watch them kill off another character or do another depressing end to the quests, too, they seem to be channeling Game of Thrones for the last few patches.

They should read some different fantasy, as long as it's not Wheel of Time.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

My hyper-casual butt finally did it. The sick deeps will soon be mine (in 3.3 when I can put spell speed on it (seriously gently caress whoever decided a BLM relic shouldn't have spell speed))

"Hyper casual"!

*has completed a relic weapon*

I mean, good job, but that's a lot of work to be willing to put into a game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Bobfly posted:

I mean, good job, but that's a lot of time to be willing to put into a game.

ftfy

I play FFXIV super casually by playing all toptier content months late when it has already been nerfed to oblivion and high end gear is readily available at discount token prices and even I could've made a relic already.

3.3 might make me resub if only for the story. :effort:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
A small group of friends and I are getting into this game for the very first time, so I hope you don't mind if I ask some really stupid questions. I tried to Google all of this, but I'm not clear on a few things.

1. It looks like the game is designed around multi-classing. So you can just take the same character to max level in all classes, and switch between them at will? Can you take multiple jobs and switch between those? The divide between classes and jobs is confusing to me.

2. I can't find solid information on group size. I've seen info that says 4, other info that says 8, and one site was talking about how you can do anything in-between. Our current group is 5 people, and a couple of others are interested in playing with us. Is there always going to be an odd-man-out situation?

3. How hard is it for lower-level characters to meet up in the world? In WoW there are usually multiple zones with high-level, very aggressive monsters between all the starting zones, but at least you can get a Mage portal to meet up.

Everything else makes sense so far. It's a very pretty game compared to WoW -- kind of hard to believe how old it is now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The new 24 man has what appears to be actually good looking tank armor this time around:

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

WhiteHowler posted:

1. It looks like the game is designed around multi-classing. So you can just take the same character to max level in all classes, and switch between them at will? Can you take multiple jobs and switch between those? The divide between classes and jobs is confusing to me.
Yes and yes. Jobs are just upgraded classes, but the divide between classes and jobs is basically legacy stuff at this point; none of the new jobs added in Heavensward even have base classes. Once you have your job stone, there's no reason to ever go back to a bare class.

WhiteHowler posted:

2. I can't find solid information on group size. I've seen info that says 4, other info that says 8, and one site was talking about how you can do anything in-between. Our current group is 5 people, and a couple of others are interested in playing with us. Is there always going to be an odd-man-out situation?
It depends! The leveling dungeons are all designed for (and capped at) 4 players (1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS classes; called a "light party"), but there are trials and raids later on that take eight players (a "full party", which is pretty much just two light parties), and raids that require 24 players (three full parties).

WhiteHowler posted:

3. How hard is it for lower-level characters to meet up in the world? In WoW there are usually multiple zones with high-level, very aggressive monsters between all the starting zones, but at least you can get a Mage portal to meet up.
The story quest gives you an easy way to travel to all of the starting cities at level 15.

Bonfire Lit fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 23, 2016

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

WhiteHowler posted:

A small group of friends and I are getting into this game for the very first time, so I hope you don't mind if I ask some really stupid questions. I tried to Google all of this, but I'm not clear on a few things.

Everything else makes sense so far. It's a very pretty game compared to WoW -- kind of hard to believe how old it is now.

To answer your questions:

1. Jobs are just an advanced version of a basic class that requires being level 15 in another class as well, you'll want to unlock these for any class you've taken to 30 and can have all of them.

2. Basic dungeons have a group size of four people, with some dungeons have group sizes of eight. There's also some raids like the Crystal Tower and Void Ark that allow three groups of eight people in them.

3. Once you get to level 15 the MSQ sends you to the other city states and you'll be able to teleport freely between them, beforehand it's difficult to meet up but it's only a couple hours or so before that point.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
1. Changing jobs is as simple as changing weapons. Each job corresponds to an unique weapon type. For example, warriors use axes and paladins use one handed swords. If you have unlocked the job then equipping that job's weapon changes you to that job. This can be done any time out of combat in the overworld (i.e. not in the middle of a dungeon or raid).

3. Playing together with your friends is great when you're doing dungeons, less so when you're just doing main story/job/whatever quests. A lot of story content is solo instanced which means you can't be in a party to do that. My advice is to get everyone on voice chat and shoot the poo poo while everyone unlocks the next story dungeon to play together. There's very little reason to party up for any other reason than queueing to dungeons except than running public quests aka FATEs where partying up makes earning contribution towards the quest really easy.

As for traveling, the game uses a teleport system that costs pittance to use. Each map has at least one aetheryte crystal that can be teleported to globally once you have synced up to it. Cities have one major aetheryte crystaland a number of small ones that can be transported to from any of the other smaller ones. Once you have unlocked access (i.e. physically traveled to a location) it is very simple and easy to move around.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vilgan posted:

I now have full 200+ iLvl gear, what should I be doing with esoterics next?

If you plan on getting your relic, buy Unidentified items with your spare eso

Otherwise, buy gear for any other level 60 classes you have.

If nether of those are true, buy eso crafting mats and sell them for cash.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 23, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I saw a Vinegaroon in real life yesterday.

It is much, much more terrifying than a goofy-looking dinosaur.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Whoever in this thread said that FF14 was best played alongside other games got it exactly. I've been playing other games and turning to FF14 when I'm bored. I just hit level 15 in my first Class (THM, I guess?) and so far it's pretty standard mmo fetch-quest and bear-rear end-collecting fare. I saw some of the dungeon fights and they looked fun though so hopefully I'll see some of that soon? I don't know? Regardless for the first time in a long time I'm in no particular hurry to max level.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Melchior posted:

Whoever in this thread said that FF14 was best played alongside other games got it exactly. I've been playing other games and turning to FF14 when I'm bored. I just hit level 15 in my first Class (THM, I guess?) and so far it's pretty standard mmo fetch-quest and bear-rear end-collecting fare. I saw some of the dungeon fights and they looked fun though so hopefully I'll see some of that soon? I don't know? Regardless for the first time in a long time I'm in no particular hurry to max level.

Yeah, I think you get a dungeon at 16, 17, and 18 (or was it 17, 18, and 19? I can't remember). You then get a new dungeon roughly every 3 levels afterwards. Except 50 opens up like 20 or 30 and 60 opens up over 10.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yea you're basically right on the cusp of the first dungeons. the really cool poo poo imo though is the trials and the first one of those is at 20

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Melchior posted:

Sort of but the first dungeons are pretty boring, levels 1-30 are pretty much the tutorial. Haukke Manor (level 28) is first really cool dungeon, and imo at around level 40 story and dungeons really pick up. You've probably seen level 50 fights, that's when you got to start learning the dance moves. Not rushing is the best way to play.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Trying to do the level 30 quest for weaver and I need a silver I got but they don't sell them so might as well be a miner but then I hear about cross class crafting skills and god why must I continue on this path

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Trying to do the level 30 quest for weaver and I need a silver I got but they don't sell them so might as well be a miner but then I hear about cross class crafting skills and god why must I continue on this path

You can't just do one crafting job if you don't want to pay for a ton of poo poo. Pretty much every crafting job relies on another job to help make stuff and in cases like weaver they also heavily rely on gathering as well.

It's all downhill.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How expensive are the mats for the 51 (50? 52?) crafter gear? Now that Moogle quests are going to be a thing, I guess I'm gonna take my crafts to 60 after all - but they're all naked because I got to 50 entirely off leves and have been going further only by GC turnin.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How expensive are the mats for the 51 (50? 52?) crafter gear? Now that Moogle quests are going to be a thing, I guess I'm gonna take my crafts to 60 after all - but they're all naked because I got to 50 entirely off leves and have been going further only by GC turnin.

Honestly if it's anything like the Ixal quests I wouldn't bother buying any gear at all until you hit 60. It'll most likely be cheaper to just buy the turn-in items while keeping your guy naked except for the appropriate mainhand.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

mallamp posted:

Sort of but the first dungeons are pretty boring, levels 1-30 are pretty much the tutorial. Haukke Manor (level 28) is first really cool dungeon, and imo at around level 40 story and dungeons really pick up. You've probably seen level 50 fights, that's when you got to start learning the dance moves. Not rushing is the best way to play.

I would agree. I just turned 38 SMN and the Manor and Qarn is really cool. It's intense and hectic and really forces you to pay attention to everything. I just unlocked the Longstop and I'm looking forward to it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Edit: nvm need to pay attention to page numbers lol.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Honestly if it's anything like the Ixal quests I wouldn't bother buying any gear at all until you hit 60. It'll most likely be cheaper to just buy the turn-in items while keeping your guy naked except for the appropriate mainhand.
Every Ixal quest except the daily turnin one required me to actually craft, so I'm assuming I'll need some stats!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
goons what is this

https://twitter.com/Vergiliaux/status/734309651475369984

what is this

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Magical

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that's the new trial silly

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pigs are flying! Does that mean Alliances and alliance chat are finally being implemented?!?!!!?!?!?!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kibner posted:

Pigs are flying! Does that mean Alliances and alliance chat are finally being implemented?!?!!!?!?!?!

something something PS3 limitations

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Every Ixal quest except the daily turnin one required me to actually craft, so I'm assuming I'll need some stats!

I thought only the reputation-level up quests required you to actually craft stuff? 99% of the XP from the Ixal came from purchased turn-ins for me at least.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

I thought only the reputation-level up quests required you to actually craft stuff? 99% of the XP from the Ixal came from purchased turn-ins for me at least.

That is literally only one of the 19 quests available per day that they have, all of the others which require you to craft one or more items and HQ them for anything but the lowest level ones.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wonder what the benefit of moogle quests will be if you have all your crafting jobs maxed to 60. Probably lore similar to Vath, or maybe they'll have an Ixali oaknot equivalent for crafting too.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bobfly posted:

"Hyper casual"!

*has completed a relic weapon*

I mean, good job, but that's a lot of work to be willing to put into a game.
Considering it took me five months and change of gathering tokens while the poopsockers had theirs in like weeks from release, I'd say it's still a pretty casual achievement :v: I had the i230 step completed just through weekly crystal tower well before I was anywhere near done the i210 step.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, straight from the preview on the lodestone there'll be furnishings, minions, and mounts (not sure all of those should be individually pluralized but whatever), much like other beast tribes have. Their vendor will probably also offer a more-convenient-than-previous source of one or another item, much like the Vath made most chocobo food accessible without gardening.

Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if there were an Ehcatl Sealant equivalent for making the new crafting gear, and if supply and demand for that are suitably balanced, selling those could be a decent source of income even for people who aren't interested in high-end class-agnostic crafting gear for themselves.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vil posted:

Well, straight from the preview on the lodestone there'll be furnishings, minions, and mounts (not sure all of those should be individually pluralized but whatever), much like other beast tribes have. Their vendor will probably also offer a more-convenient-than-previous source of one or another item, much like the Vath made most chocobo food accessible without gardening.

Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if there were an Ehcatl Sealant equivalent for making the new crafting gear, and if supply and demand for that are suitably balanced, selling those could be a decent source of income even for people who aren't interested in high-end class-agnostic crafting gear for themselves.

Yeah if they repeat that then the first week the new sealant item becomes available will be really profitable for non crafters who took the effort of maxing them out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eopia posted:

That is literally only one of the 19 quests available per day that they have, all of the others which require you to craft one or more items and HQ them for anything but the lowest level ones.

I guess I'm wrong then, but I took CRP from like 10-50 and I can't remember buying any gear for that job at all. Is actually crafting the item on one job and turning it in as another a thing? Maybe that's how I got around it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I guess I'm wrong then, but I took CRP from like 10-50 and I can't remember buying any gear for that job at all. Is actually crafting the item on one job and turning it in as another a thing? Maybe that's how I got around it.

For Ixal yeah you could do that.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Eopia posted:

This makes it sound scary, but getting the HQs isn't terribly difficult. Ixal quests were definitely made with the people who don't know the big specifics about crafting in mind. You might need to retry sometimes, but the only thing you're losing out on are some shards for failures. As long as you keep your gear current, not even HQ gear or melded(though it helps,) you won't have any issues with leveling through Ixal quests. I managed it, and I was/am a poo poo rear end crafter.

And yes, you can do the crafting part of the quests on a geared out crafting class and complete the quest itself on another class to level that way. It's how I got all my crafts to 50 back before HW.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Skaw posted:

This makes it sound scary, but getting the HQs isn't terribly difficult. Ixal quests were definitely made with the people who don't know the big specifics about crafting in mind. You might need to retry sometimes, but the only thing you're losing out on are some shards for failures. As long as you keep your gear current, not even HQ gear or melded, you won't have any issues with leveling through Ixal quests. I managed it, and I was/am a poo poo rear end crafter.

Yeah, the only real pitfall is if you take on multiple high-level dailies at once, since IIRC they each give you a specific debuff and they all stack, so you end up trying to craft HQ stuff with 2 or 3 major crafting debuffs and it becomes a pain in the rear end. Now that I remember how they worked, even as a well-geared crafter, those debuffs can be brutal.

I guess I should restate my original opinion as "don't bother buying gear for levelling a crafter through Moogle dailies if you already have at least 1 crafting job at 60, and if the Moogle dailies work the same way as the Ixal." (Admittedly 2 pretty big "ifs")

• Locked thread