Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Ramsay's Twenty Good Men must be working for Yara now.

I had to laugh at Euron's "where are my niece and nephew... let's go murder them" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Brann Brann Brann Brann...

Bronn?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i'm severely disappointed in the lack of bronn in this season

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Horrible Dorne
Horribledorne
Horridorne
Horrdorne
Horrdor
Hodor

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'll never forgive them for cutting out Victarion. He was the only thing that got me through the roughest parts of the books. There would be several chapters of Tyrion wondering where whores go, Cersei going crazy, and Jon moping at a glacial pace then there would be a Victarion chapter. Yara and Theon are cool and all but I don't see them sacrificing seven sex slaves by lighting their ship on fire for a sacrifice to every major religion at once and getting half their ships destroyed in a massive storm but arriving with a larger fleet than they left with due to sheer badassery.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

A bunch of bitter folk trying out comic book nerd each other, that's all. If it doesn't go exactly how they envisioned it, they hate it.
Even if they weren't mostly out of material to adapt the Kingsmoot was the last book thing I was curious to see on the screen (and they poo poo the bed with it). I don't even give a poo poo about the books anymore since I started reading Malazan after ADWD. At this point I'm mostly sticking with the show to see how they end it.

It's okay to make fun of a dumb show. It's also okay to like a dumb show. It's all just tits and balls and dragons.

Noctone posted:

i'm severely disappointed in the lack of bronn in this season
He'll go to the Riverlands with Jamie because reasons.

Gangringo posted:

I'll never forgive them for cutting out Victarion. He was the only thing that got me through the roughest parts of the books. There would be several chapters of Tyrion wondering where whores go, Cersei going crazy, and Jon moping at a glacial pace then there would be a Victarion chapter. Yara and Theon are cool and all but I don't see them sacrificing seven sex slaves by lighting their ship on fire for a sacrifice to every major religion at once and getting half their ships destroyed in a massive storm but arriving with a larger fleet than they left with due to sheer badassery.
Yeah, it sucks but that's a change I expected and with how Euron turned out I doubt we would've gotten Pure Undiluted Badass Victarion anyway. Either Theon or Yara better get a magic loving fire arm at some point though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Illinois Smith posted:

He'll go to the Riverlands with Jamie because reasons.

He'll go to Riverlands with Jaime because everybody loves the gently caress out of Bronn.

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, it sucks but that's a change I expected and with how Euron turned out I doubt we would've gotten Pure Undiluted Badass Victarion anyway. Either Theon or Yara better get a magic loving fire arm at some point though.

You know it's gonna be Jorah.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Lycus posted:

You know it's gonna be Jorah.
YES BUT IT WOULD LOOK MUCH MORE BADASS ON A PIRATE

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 23, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I missed some moments after Yara decided to boat the gently caress out of there. Did she mention where she was heading?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I missed some moments after Yara decided to boat the gently caress out of there. Did she mention where she was heading?

She's obviously going to Meereen, but I think it's supposed to be a mystery to viewers right now.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They were talking about the "dragon queen" moments before hand so

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I know people endlessly complain about this show in this thread, but I think even the angriest viewer would agree that casting The Actor Kevin Eldon as Ned Stark was pure loving genius.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The three slave cities will attack Meereen but Tyrion will be able to put up an adequate defense. Then Yara will show up and destroy their naval forces. Then Dany will show up and destroy their ground forces. Then Yara and Dany will kiss.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Good episode. I enjoy how accurate predictions here are, poor Hodor.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
On an unrelated note, the closed captions confirmed that the Drowned Priest is indeed named "Aeron." Since he's clearly older then Euron in this version I wonder if they kept the character but didn't make him a Greyjoy in order to keep things simple. Or maybe he is still a Greyjoy but being in the priesthood disqualifies him for inheriting the throne. But if it's the latter you think they'd address it, or have Theon or whoever address him as "uncle."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Next episode Walder Frey gonna show up wearing a direwolf cloak and go "Oh this? Just this direwolf I killed between seasons. No biggie".

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol seeing someone criticize how the ice walker shattered.... This is it. We've it peak thread.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

bbf2 posted:

On an unrelated note, the closed captions confirmed that the Drowned Priest is indeed named "Aeron." Since he's clearly older then Euron in this version
I looked them up for shits and giggles, Euron's actor is 35 years younger than both the guys who play his brothers. Balon & Euron were about the same age in the books and Aeron was their baby brother (who may or may not have been sexually abused by Euron as a kid).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Assuming that the drowned priest is truly "Aeron Greyjoy brother to Balon and Euron" just because someone decided to name him Aeron in the scripts and closed captions is a bit far fetched, If he was related to them the show would have made a reference to it, at the moment he's just "Drowned Priest Guy".

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, it sucks but that's a change I expected and with how Euron turned out I doubt we would've gotten Pure Undiluted Badass Victarion anyway.
I think we've had enough macho comic relief this season, what with the Brothraki and all? Besides, people are already complaining about killing off secondary characters. If they created not one, but two Greyjoy brothers to be fed to dragons, I could see how that could look redundant.

Anyhow, still enjoying the pace of the plot. 6 will probably focus on the showdown in King's Landing while 7 seems to be mainly book material? (Manderly, Riverrun and Septon Elderbald?) Fittingly for the latter, it's a Cogman episode, and he's much better at adapting than at writing original dialogue.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Well that was the first really good episode in a long while. I wanted to be annoyed at how casually they seemed to break the origin story for the Walkers, but it kind of felt appropriate by the end.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't remember exactly from season 4 but has the show even said "children of the forest". As far as I remember, they are just creepy wood elfs that showed up to throw fireballs and nobody ever questioned or explained who they are.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't remember exactly from season 4 but has the show even said "children of the forest". As far as I remember, they are just creepy wood elfs that showed up to throw fireballs and nobody ever questioned or explained who they are.

They definitely said "The Children" in Season 4.

edit: Apparently, Maester Luwin said "Children of the Forest" in Season 2.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Episode owned. gently caress the haters

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

quote:

Posted 20 Feb 2008
The poor guy is just asking someone to hold the door for him, since he's always carrying someone else around. After a while, "Hold the door" became "Hold the doorHold the doorHoldoorHodoor. Dammit! Hold the door!" His mind finally snapped, and now all he can say is Hodor.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/26325-what-does-hodor-mean/&page=2#comment-1236249

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
I have a big dick, let's go murder my niece and nephew. Trees

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Victarion was quite a stupid character and his chapters were not well-written. I understand he is actually supposed to be a bit of an oaf with more brawn than brains but because he's so dim and not really aware of much stuff going on around him that isn't related to fighting, I felt it was a bit of a waste of time to follow the Iron Island plot through his eyes. Asha was much more interesting as a character.

Also, good episode, one of the best in the season so far, and a few more dipshits ITT added to my ignore list. Seriously some of you are utterly joyless cunts who aren't half as smart as you think you are.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm down for bro and sis bonding on the high seas. Euron seems weak though. I thought they were building him up to be the big bad guy of S7, but I don't know anymore.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

the jizz taxi posted:

Also, good episode, one of the best in the season so far, and a few more dipshits ITT added to my ignore list. Seriously some of you are utterly joyless cunts who aren't half as smart as you think you are.

Thanks for the ignore list update, by all means please keep us posted on this very interesting subject.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of Victarion, for some reason I'm expecting them to recycle his Red God-glowing arm for Jorah. Maybe it's the cracked flesh similarity between that and the greyscale.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's either they do that or kill Jorah off, and they've officially foreshadowed that he's gonna be "cured" and return.

Who's gonna "cure" him? They gonna bring back Quaithe?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 23, 2016

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The hold the door bit was so loving cheesy.

The rest of the episode was pretty good though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Lycus posted:

They definitely said "The Children" in Season 4.

edit: Apparently, Maester Luwin said "Children of the Forest" in Season 2.

Do show watchers even know who they are though? I'm not sure that entire reveal worked for them.

Cephas posted:

Considering how the wall accommodates the people to the south of it while having lots of fortifications against the things to the north of it.... not really, no.

The Wall is just a big chunk of ice. It has no fortifications, no stairs or elevators, nothing. That's all man-made and could have been built after the fact.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Assuming that the drowned priest is truly "Aeron Greyjoy brother to Balon and Euron" just because someone decided to name him Aeron in the scripts and closed captions is a bit far fetched, If he was related to them the show would have made a reference to it, at the moment he's just "Drowned Priest Guy".

Actually, I assumed that the Drowned priest in those scenes was just a subtle nod to book readers. No, this character isn't important and we don't have time to go into all the backstory necessary to introduce Aeron Damphair, but that priest is obviously supposed to be him, and they don't name him or do anything to show that it's a different unrelated priest, so you can just assume that he's Damphair if you read the books, and if you haven't, he's just a nameless Ironborn priest presiding over the king's ceremony that isn't important enough to need a backstory.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I think the worst thing about this episode was when Brienne casually joked about Jon dying and coming back. That's how I took the 'Jon's kind of brooding but I guess that's understandable considering' line, and Sansa gives her this 'yeah girl i kno rite, so brooding' look. Westerosi people are so casual about the weirdest things in this show. Like I mean maybe Brienne meant it's okay to be broody b/c of the tragedy that is being a Stark the past few years but I doubt it.

This was a pretty solid episode though. Hold the door is def dumber on paper than the way they did it, though Summer jobbing out faster than the prisoners The Mountain chops up for funsies ruined a lot of the impact for me. That and Leaf suicide grenading when it seemed she could have just thrown it. Like if she needs to die come up with a way that makes more sense imho.

The scene with Varys, Tyrion and the priestess was fun. As R'hllor's number one fan I am down with this importing red priests to spread Dany propaganda. It will make Meereen bearable!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Richard E Grant, for those of you who were wondering where he was:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Captain Splendid posted:

Richard E Grant, for those of you who were wondering where he was:

He better be back because holy poo poo would that be a phenomenal waste-...

*looks at Max von Sydow and Ciaran Hines*

...hmm.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
So, Summer was killed off because the producers hate spending money on direwolf CGI? Yes?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

bbf2 posted:

So, Summer was killed off because the producers hate spending money on direwolf CGI? Yes?
Probably more so that Bran would not have a grownup direwolf to warg into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Thanks for the ignore list update, by all means please keep us posted on this very interesting subject.

My apologies.

• Locked thread