Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So I've stuck with this show until now and have enjoyed it, but holy hell was this season finale terrible.

I can't tell if it was terribly edited or if they tried (and failed) to evoke some kind of dreamy/nightmare "apocalypse now" feeling in the compound. It just felt choppy. Its like they were trying so hard to be meaningful but it came out like some some junior high kid's latest creative writing assignment. A zombie survival tv show can be about surviving zombies, it doesn't have to be some lovely critique on human nature. Yeah it helps if its done well, but it doesn't need to be done.

When Travis suddenly couldn't walk I thought my DVR had skipped, why were his feet hosed up from walking a day? Were his boots filled with glass? Why did the Salvidad suddenly go completely insane within a day? Why did the junkie suddenly convert to a batshit religion within 3 short conversations and a bowl of soup? Why does anyone care what happens to Travis's dead eyed psychopathic son? How can a fire in a wine cellar burn down the entire compound within minutes?

Why am I so mad about an episode I am posting on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It feels like they cut out an episode because they were overcompensating for criticisms of The Walking Dead spending too long on the farm in Season 2. They've pulled the hallucinating plot three times in this show and The Walking Dead, because they don't know how else to put internal monologue on screen.

With an intermittent episode, they could've focused more on Nick starting to act like Celia's henchman and had more scenes between El Salvidad and Ophelia. If Strand or El Salvidad warned the rest of the group were warned about Celia's poison, Madison could've told Nick about it and used that she kills people to try to bring him back to their side. Then, Madison would have had more reason to kill her. They could've shown Travis on the road hiding from a horde and cutting his foot while going off the road in a brief scene near the end of the between-episode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This was the finale?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

BigRoman posted:

So I've stuck with this show until now and have enjoyed it, but holy hell was this season finale terrible.

I can't tell if it was terribly edited or if they tried (and failed) to evoke some kind of dreamy/nightmare "apocalypse now" feeling in the compound. It just felt choppy. Its like they were trying so hard to be meaningful but it came out like some some junior high kid's latest creative writing assignment. A zombie survival tv show can be about surviving zombies, it doesn't have to be some lovely critique on human nature. Yeah it helps if its done well, but it doesn't need to be done.

When Travis suddenly couldn't walk I thought my DVR had skipped, why were his feet hosed up from walking a day? Were his boots filled with glass? Why did the Salvidad suddenly go completely insane within a day? Why did the junkie suddenly convert to a batshit religion within 3 short conversations and a bowl of soup? Why does anyone care what happens to Travis's dead eyed psychopathic son? How can a fire in a wine cellar burn down the entire compound within minutes?

its because the writers are trying to tear apart the el salvidad-strand-nick trifecta

Tenzarin posted:

This was the finale?

1/2 season finale

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
e: doube post

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigRoman posted:

I spent the whole time going what the gently caress.

I had honestly believed that El Salivdad was poisoned by the woman because she recognized him as a war criminal, explaining his sudden "absolute loss of all his poo poo." Then I thoguht his 'wife' was actually an interrogator.

No? I guess he just flipped out? Also the way the death (?) scene with the woman of the house went down.. and Chris's madness..

The whole thing felt like a lovely attempt at a head trip and it was dumb as hell. I don't even know who lived and who died because it was shot like such poo poo. For a season that had been pulling up, this was a nose dive.

ED: Everyone watching tonight went "What the gently caress happened to his feet?" and nobody could figure it out. I still can't.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Strand should keep his shirt off for the entirety of the next half season.

BigRoman posted:

It just felt choppy.

That's been the show since like day one.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah, I've got no desire to watch this anymore.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That felt like they were trying to stuff in 4 or 5 more episodes of story developments into one hour. Holy poo poo was that a disjointed mess.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So why was NJD okay with painting himself with the blood and viscera of his newly found out "changed" people if he still thinks they're people/not zombies or whatever? Like, was he calling them by name while disemboweling them and smearing their guts all over himself?

How long of a "mid-season break" do we get?

Also goddamnit I seriously wanted Travis or Psychopath Son to die this episode, what the gently caress. Now we'll have three groups, two of which will probably be awful and hopefully one will be dope af(El Salvidad and NJD!) How is breaking off from the safety of numbers going to help the dumbass son? Like seriously you obviously were struggling with the kid pre-apocalypse, what makes you think now that he's literally murked zombies AND a living person(or two? I forget...) you can suddenly steer him on the right path? Especially leaving the only "trained" person who could deal with that, Bad Dumb Mom, even though she's been shown to be almost comically inept at handling the youth in the show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

If I'm being completely honest I'm not really responding to the popular characters like some are, and I'm not finding Madison particularly annoying either, they're all just... middling is the best word I can think of to describe their affect on me. The original series, for all it's lovely writing failures that are getting repeated here, at least has characters I really like and some I really don't but Fear doesn't have either.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

How long of a "mid-season break" do we get?

2-3 months. It starts back up sometime in August.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
and thusly did they not go out with a bang, but with a wet baby jizz rope, hanging loosely against the side of the tub as it slowly rolls to it's final resting place.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So was Celia in the zombie house still when salvidad roasted it with fuel of a thousand suns? And did he actually get out?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

moist turtleneck posted:

So was Celia in the zombie house still when salvidad roasted it with fuel of a thousand suns? And did he actually get out?

they both 100% lived, did you see a body?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
True that

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How was that house evil again?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

a loving caring mother kept something that no one understood yet in a safe and thoughtful manner and wasn't hurting anyone along with welcoming people to her home and feeding them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Salvidad should have just helped Strand plant the body somewhere else, or offer to burn it

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

They did go ahead and kill that church full of people and were starting some bizarre cult based around Dia de Los Muertos.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Grinning Goblin posted:

They did go ahead and kill that church full of people and were starting some bizarre cult based around Dia de Los Muertos.

Yeah, what the hell was that about anyway? Why would Celia have killed a bunch of people in the church? She was portrayed as tough in the house hold but certainly not genocidal. Maybe because they refused to believe whatever weird thing she was starting up, but even then, were that the case why did she kill people she presumably knew, and let the main cast survive? Wouldn't she have poisoned them too during the first dinner?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

So why was NJD okay with painting himself with the blood and viscera of his newly found out "changed" people if he still thinks they're people/not zombies or whatever? Like, was he calling them by name while disemboweling them and smearing their guts all over himself?

I was wondering this too. "They're not dead! You are a good boy!"

"I wiped your son's stomach over my face, we cool?"

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

a loving caring mother kept something that no one understood yet in a safe and thoughtful manner and wasn't hurting anyone along with welcoming people to her home and feeding them.

El Salivdad knew they were feeding zombies puppies.

Random puppy will be avenged!

ED: Great mark of a clusterfuck - I don't know if the woman is dead (or simply ghosted out of them like Nicholas) or if El Salivdad is dead because they jump cut from the fire starting to "raging inferno."

This episode made no Goddamn sense.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 23, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone make the assumption that salvidad is dead so we can have an angry discourse until the next half season is out

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Can someone make the assumption that salvidad is dead so we can have an angry discourse until the next half season is out

The woman of the house is another one. We never saw her die, and while locked in a cage full of zombies, she seems to understand Nick's "get them to ignore you" stuff and the way it was shot, I honestly have no loving idea if she was supposed to die or not.

In fact the whole episode felt like the kind of fever dream you'd get after eating some bad Taco Bell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah, what the hell was that about anyway? Why would Celia have killed a bunch of people in the church? She was portrayed as tough in the house hold but certainly not genocidal. Maybe because they refused to believe whatever weird thing she was starting up, but even then, were that the case why did she kill people she presumably knew, and let the main cast survive? Wouldn't she have poisoned them too during the first dinner?

Because in her broken logic, she didn't kill them, she transformed them so they wouldn't hurt more people.

Why she wanted Strand to take the poison, so her son and him could "live together" in the cell, "alive."

..... yes, her motivations are the same as a mentally ill 12 year old on TWD proper who held similar beliefs.

moist turtleneck posted:

Fortunately he found a handy dumpster just outside of the jail, and the fires burned around him safely.

ED: In all seriousness I think they wanted to imply the fire set off the alcohol in the cellar, and that's where the was a tiny ADR "Boom" in the background after cutting away; couldn't afford to show an explosion.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 23, 2016

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That place went up quicker than a Dothraki Khalhut!

Also Chris and Ophelia look the same in low light.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
By the way am I the only one to have thought El Salivdad was poisoned or drugged?

He literally was never insane before and she immediately told him he was dying, so... uh.. slow acting poison maybe was it?

I have no idea in hell.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

moist turtleneck posted:

Tenzarin posted:

So is El Savidad dead now?

Done and done.

Riot.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Blazing Ownager posted:

I spent the whole time going what the gently caress.

I had honestly believed that El Salivdad was poisoned by the woman because she recognized him as a war criminal, explaining his sudden "absolute loss of all his poo poo." Then I thoguht his 'wife' was actually an interrogator.

No? I guess he just flipped out? Also the way the death (?) scene with the woman of the house went down.. and Chris's madness..

The whole thing felt like a lovely attempt at a head trip and it was dumb as hell. I don't even know who lived and who died because it was shot like such poo poo. For a season that had been pulling up, this was a nose dive.

ED: Everyone watching tonight went "What the gently caress happened to his feet?" and nobody could figure it out. I still can't.

Like a dumbass Travis never put shoes on before running off into the night after his son. He was only wearing socks and the ground has lots of sharp rocks and broken glass and stuff.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hollylolly posted:

Like a dumbass Travis never put shoes on before running off into the night after his son. He was only wearing socks and the ground has lots of sharp rocks and broken glass and stuff.

Wow that is so stupid I can't comprehend it for a few reasons. Aside from the fact they picked socks that look a ton like shoes.

Mostly because, I don't know, if I was running around in the wild in socks to the point my feet were turning bloodsoaked I think I'd try to cushion them a bit more or solve the problem or something. I mean for gently caress's sake.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wow that is so stupid I can't comprehend it for a few reasons. Aside from the fact they picked socks that look a ton like shoes.

Mostly because, I don't know, if I was running around in the wild in socks to the point my feet were turning bloodsoaked I think I'd try to cushion them a bit more or solve the problem or something. I mean for gently caress's sake.

It's even more baffling from a writing decision standpoint because the episode would have lost nothing at all if his sore feet hadn't even been a thing that happened.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had assumed there was a really good reason why he wasn't wearing shoes that I must have not seen other than he's just a loving idiot. It's amazing the blanks you let mind fill in for the writers when you want a show to be good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The bloody feet were meant to distract us from talking about the real problem with the plot on that episode.

Everything

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

They knew about what she was doing and the priest was ginning them up to go up to the Abigail vineyard with torches and pitchforks to put a stop to her zombie hording ways. She found out, and arraigned the poison. Thomas discoverd this, and even though by that point he was a prisoner in his own home and no longer in charge of the estate, escaped in his truck to warn them. But it was too late.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe we all have it wrong. The characters did not all intentionally go insane that episode.

Maybe this was an experiment of writing a script on an LSD+Mescaline+Cocaine trip and the writer thought every single thing they did was rational.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

The people in the church were arming up to go and wipe out Celia's death cult.

For anyone who is watching the show to enjoy it, here's the first couple of paragraphs of an interesitng review of the episode:

quote:

Fear the Walking Dead Explores the Positive Side of the Zombie Apocalypse

Sunday’s episode of Fear the Walking Dead was the mid-season finale, leaving viewers with a few cliffhangers as the show goes away until August. It’s been a mostly monotonous, occasionally interesting, season but this episode finally put gave us some meat on the bone (so to speak)

In the episode titled “Shiva,” Celia (Marlene Forte) presents a very unique perspective on the zombie apocalypse. You see Celia, the matriarch of the Mexican home the group has ended up at, keeps her dead alive. The basement is filled with the zombies of her loved ones. And when Strand (Colman Domingo) shoots his boyfriend/her son Thomas (Dougray Scott) in the head, she’s furious. This kind of finality cannot stand, and she banishes him.

Here’s where things get interesting. Celia doesn’t see the zombie apocalypse as an “apocalypse,” she sees it as the “beginning of eternal life.” Now, as long as you don’t destroy someone’s head, they cannot die.

Whoa. That’s... kind of true, right? I mean, obviously, the zombie versions of people have no morality or consciousness and will blindly kill anyone in their path. When Madison tries to kill Celia and Daniel burns her house down, you understand their disgust at this idea. Years and years of zombie movies and TV shows have led us to a universal truth that these creatures aren’t human.

But I applaud Fear the Walking Dead for providing a flipside to the argument. This early in the zombie outbreak (I mean, we’re probably only like a month into it at this point, right?) it makes sense people would have different interpretations. What makes less sense are Madison and Daniel’s instant and violent rejection of this more optimistic view, but that’s another story.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
That review managed to be more ignorant and poorly written than the episode, so congrats?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hahaha wow Gizmodo is trash

What if this show did something, something that another show with almost the same did a couple seasons ago? How awe inspiring

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Wow can't imagine why they would instantly and violently reject that view when the undead keep eating family members and will relentlessly pursue the living. Two sides to every story guess the truth is in the middle equal time for opposing views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I must be one of the few FWD lovers on here and praise it constantly. But what the gently caress happened in that last episode? IT. MADE. NO. loving. SENSE. AT. ALL.

Every single one of the main characters personality and motivations changed completely. What a bizarre episode.

• Locked thread