Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Guy Axlerod posted:

So many people smoking. What do you do on your breaks? I smoke.

Need to use a computer? Head on over to the designated computer area and use one of the shared computers.

You wonder how many of them picked up smoking after taking that job just to deal with the 90-hour weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still always remember that one game where the alien villain absorbed knowledge from someone or something and the only thing he could pull out was "The area of a circle is pi R squared!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wait, 2+3=6?! :raise:

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, 2+3=6?! :raise:

I think it's a 5; it just looks like a 6 because of some pixel bleeding in the GIF

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember my parents buying that edition and another edition of Math Blaster to help my sister with math. I don't know if it actually helped her or not.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Handsome Ralph posted:

Someone found a training video for Sega of America game Testers. It's 90's as gently caress.

https://vimeo.com/166472288

I feel so bad for the guy who wasted 188 hours of his life (in 2 weeks) working on Eternal Champions.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Handsome Ralph posted:

Someone found a training video for Sega of America game Testers. It's 90's as gently caress.

God drat clothes in the 90s were dumpy as gently caress

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Trainumentary is such perfect corporate bullshit speak, especially for that time.

All that time spent on making games that weirdo nerds will heavily sexualize 20 years later. Though thinking about them saying "We're making games better" and showing poo poo like the 32x and the SegaCD, it makes me laugh. Yes they had a handful of good games, but overall they're some of the worst addons ever.

I can't imagine they played Ground Zero Texas or Night Trap and went "oh yea, this is loving AWESOME".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

dumb. posted:

I'm sure professional video game testers of today are way more stylish.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Professor Wayne posted:

They are men with class, unlike those boys who merely have swag.

M`lady

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Hey! Dollar store Brad Pitt was rocking that permed blond mullet.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

dumb. posted:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Haven't American box suits been a thing for a long time?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It just took a while for David Byrne's big suit technology to catch on in the mainstream.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm imagining Brian skateboarding down the sidewalk, only for his shirt to catch on a hedge and yank him off his board.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Professor Wayne posted:

Way more lovely tattoos on testers now.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A whole bunch of them, I think. Dougie was their advertising mascot for a while.
Yeah he was around for a while.
Found another featuring Tim Shaw who was well known for starring in infomercials with the "but wait there's more..." catchphrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPobhSvXtDQ
Tim now does after dinner speeches.

They tried to revive him in 2002.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz8RcOVB8j8

And this cropped up in my head for some reason. It was a one hit wonder in Oz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YAfAWwkpSI

And this show..featuring CGI by SEGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnegoBBebyk

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

WebDog posted:

I had not heard "goes like stink" before, and I think I'll adopt that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

twistedmentat posted:

Trainumentary is such perfect corporate bullshit speak, especially for that time.

I know what you're thinking, but go watch the intro to Spinal Tap.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Edit: aw gently caress, didn't see it linked earlier. Oh well, have it as an embed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We didn't have Nickelodeon in Canada, we have YTV. I was too old to really watch much of it, but I do remember seeing some things and it was a low budget, and Canadian as 90s as gently caress.

They had progam jockeys, they called PJs that did stuff between shows, and another goon posted this on Facebook, so you can get a feeling of what it was like
http://torontoist.com/2015/12/the-oral-history-of-1990s-ytv/

That reminds me, when we'd go on family vacations to the US during the 90s, me and my sister would watch MTV, because obviously we didn't have it in Canada, we had Muchmusic (which was massively better, as it was based more on a radio format, with long sets of videos interspaced with VJ praddle but the videos would vary, and you'd rarely see the same one within the space of a few hours, even if it was huge). Anyways, there was a bunch of stuff i always noticed about MTV, first off, they had no concept of scheduling, as you'd get "here is a world Premier NIN video!" and it would play, and then the next show would come on and open with "world premier NIN video!". Like what? Do your programming directors not pay attention? Though when you consider they had only a handful of videos at a time to show, so you'd see the same video 3 or 4 times in the space of an hour. This is probably more to do with US vs Canadian tastes, but there was always way more rap and hip hop on MTV than we were used to, maybe because Canada tends to be more of a rock country. Not really a concern, but it was just odd to us seeing videos by people we had never heard of being played in heavy rotation along side stuff we were more familiar with. Related to that, the weirdest thing is all the white Vjs on MTV dressed like someone that was super into Nirvana and Soundgarden, but talked like someone trying to make fun of a white guy trying to act black. I remember laughing at this dude in a flannel shirt, beanie and leather bracelets going "Yo, up next we got a fresh new video from my homies, Dru Hill". What the gently caress? I swear to this day I must have seen some comedy show or whatnot, becuase no one could be that awkward on tv.

It's funny, when MTV went and made over its self in the early 2000s, it straight up took how Much Music's style, having things more minimalist and stripped down, TRL was a very Americanized version of how Much Music would do interviews and performances. Man that was amazing, going down there when some band was going to be there, hoping you could get a spot, and if not, standing on Queen Street trying to look into the window so you could just barely make out Jarvis Cocker or whoever they had in there.

At their HQ they had a thing called Speakers Corner, where for a buck you could talk to the Camera and for a minute or so, you could record whatever you wanted. If you wanted ot know what average people on Toronto's streets looked like in the early 90s, behold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ0jnIh5iRs

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

twistedmentat posted:

We didn't have Nickelodeon in Canada, we have YTV. I was too old to really watch much of it, but I do remember seeing some things and it was a low budget, and Canadian as 90s as gently caress.

They had progam jockeys, they called PJs that did stuff between shows, and another goon posted this on Facebook, so you can get a feeling of what it was like

That reminds me, when we'd go on family vacations to the US during the 90s, me and my sister would watch MTV, because obviously we didn't have it in Canada, we had Muchmusic (which was massively better, as it was based more on a radio format, with long sets of videos interspaced with VJ praddle but the videos would vary, and you'd rarely see the same one within the space of a few hours, even if it was huge). Anyways, there was a bunch of stuff i always noticed about MTV, first off, they had no concept of scheduling, as you'd get "here is a world Premier NIN video!" and it would play, and then the next show would come on and open with "world premier NIN video!". Like what? Do your programming directors not pay attention? Though when you consider they had only a handful of videos at a time to show, so you'd see the same video 3 or 4 times in the space of an hour. This is probably more to do with US vs Canadian tastes, but there was always way more rap and hip hop on MTV than we were used to, maybe because Canada tends to be more of a rock country. Not really a concern, but it was just odd to us seeing videos by people we had never heard of being played in heavy rotation along side stuff we were more familiar with. Related to that, the weirdest thing is all the white Vjs on MTV dressed like someone that was super into Nirvana and Soundgarden, but talked like someone trying to make fun of a white guy trying to act black. I remember laughing at this dude in a flannel shirt, beanie and leather bracelets going "Yo, up next we got a fresh new video from my homies, Dru Hill". What the gently caress? I swear to this day I must have seen some comedy show or whatnot, becuase no one could be that awkward on tv.

It's funny, when MTV went and made over its self in the early 2000s, it straight up took how Much Music's style, having things more minimalist and stripped down, TRL was a very Americanized version of how Much Music would do interviews and performances. Man that was amazing, going down there when some band was going to be there, hoping you could get a spot, and if not, standing on Queen Street trying to look into the window so you could just barely make out Jarvis Cocker or whoever they had in there.

At their HQ they had a thing called Speakers Corner, where for a buck you could talk to the Camera and for a minute or so, you could record whatever you wanted. If you wanted ot know what average people on Toronto's streets looked like in the early 90s, behold

Holy poo poo that Torontoist article punched me in the gut with a giant fist of nostalgia. And also made me realize what a massive crush I had on 90% of the YTV ladies.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I really do miss early 90's MTV. Actual music videos. Funny and weird animated shows. The reality shows were pretty much just the real world and road rules, which were new and fun at the time. It actually was a pretty big part.of.my.life at the time and I hate the poo poo show it became.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The only drawback to my DVD boxset of Beavis and Butthead is no music videos because of licensing issues :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WebDog posted:

You're going to show Return to Jupiter and not Escape from Jupiter first? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sQvZYLyXE4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NonzeroCircle posted:

The only drawback to my DVD boxset of Beavis and Butthead is no music videos because of licensing issues :argh:

Daria and MIssion Hill suffer from the same problems.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

NonzeroCircle posted:

The complete episodes can be found online if you dig around enough, some of them aren't great quality but at least they have the music videos.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I haven't watched Mission Hill in probably over a decade but this joke has always stuck in my mind because it's possibly the single funniest word I've ever heard

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

twistedmentat posted:

:canada:

Speaker's Corner was great. As stated for a dollar you would sit in a booth with a camera for a minute and talk, joke, sing whatever you liked. It was really popular to the point that it had it's own half hour segment where they would just play what people had recorded. There were a few guys who called themselves the Devil's Advocates, wear plastic devil horns and smoke cigars while doing a pisstake of the big news stories, there was a few marriage proposals (with a few refusals being aired too), and unless i'm mistaken the Barenaked Ladies got their big break from it as well.

MuchMusic was a beautiful creature in the 90's and early 00's. No movies, I think the only show they played was S Club 7 because it was popular at the time and relatively music related. They had their own little segments though, Every week they would do the countdown of the top 30 videos, they had Much Versus where they would pit 2 popular music videos together for an hour with numbers to call for who you wanted to win while they played related videos to the contenders (at one point Korn's Freak on a Leash went undefeated for something like 13 weeks so they officially disqualified it and hung the tape from the rafters for a short while), as well as Loud (for metal and rock), the punk show, the Wedge (for the indie/weird alt stuff), RapCity, and the Electric Circus which was for all the dance and electronica on friday nights. During Electric Circus they would turn the studio into a dance club and just roam the camera and host through the crowd.

I also remember some specials they did called MuchTalks, where they would get a host to sit with a musician and a therapist or psychologist to discuss issues like sexual abuse, body image, and suicide that teens would be dealing with and have members of the audience weigh in and add to the conversation that gave it a very real and sincere opening into the culture of the time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Heath posted:

I haven't watched Mission Hill in probably over a decade but this joke has always stuck in my mind because it's possibly the single funniest word I've ever heard

Here's the gag I always remember:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Heath posted:

Are you sure that's dog food?
It's got a picture of a dog on it doesn't it?

Zortzico posted:

:canada:

Speaker's Corner was great. As stated for a dollar you would sit in a booth with a camera for a minute and talk, joke, sing whatever you liked. It was really popular to the point that it had it's own half hour segment where they would just play what people had recorded. There were a few guys who called themselves the Devil's Advocates, wear plastic devil horns and smoke cigars while doing a pisstake of the big news stories, there was a few marriage proposals (with a few refusals being aired too), and unless i'm mistaken the Barenaked Ladies got their big break from it as well.

MuchMusic was a beautiful creature in the 90's and early 00's. No movies, I think the only show they played was S Club 7 because it was popular at the time and relatively music related. They had their own little segments though, Every week they would do the countdown of the top 30 videos, they had Much Versus where they would pit 2 popular music videos together for an hour with numbers to call for who you wanted to win while they played related videos to the contenders (at one point Korn's Freak on a Leash went undefeated for something like 13 weeks so they officially disqualified it and hung the tape from the rafters for a short while), as well as Loud (for metal and rock), the punk show, the Wedge (for the indie/weird alt stuff), RapCity, and the Electric Circus which was for all the dance and electronica on friday nights. During Electric Circus they would turn the studio into a dance club and just roam the camera and host through the crowd.

I also remember some specials they did called MuchTalks, where they would get a host to sit with a musician and a therapist or psychologist to discuss issues like sexual abuse, body image, and suicide that teens would be dealing with and have members of the audience weigh in and add to the conversation that gave it a very real and sincere opening into the culture of the time.

Yep. I was sad though seeing The Wedge go from being something that ran for 2 hours late afternoon (prime kid watching time) at one point to being shuttered off to midnight for a half hour on fridays. Though its prominent position on the schedule showed how important indie and alt rock was during that period in Canada among youth.

A show I always enjoyed was 2much4much, where they'd play late night videos that were too much for regular airplay, like ones that had nudity or violence or whatever in them. The cool thing is they'd discuss why they were denied play and look into the issues surrounding it.

This is a good example of how MuchMusic would do things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEjGcpI7Cw

Those streetcars are still running to this day.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

twistedmentat posted:

This is a good example of how MuchMusic would do things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEjGcpI7Cw

Those streetcars are still running to this day.

Oh man, I forgot about Intimate and Interactive.

Jesus, I look back on it now and it's amazing to see just how connected Much was with it's audience.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

part.of.my.life

PYF 2010's thing: loving spacebar while phoneposting is too small so I wind up hitting .,b or n instead of space

(i actually do this all the time when texting and phone posting and am not making fun of you, but relating. I had to edit out 5 commas during this post alone.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zortzico posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Intimate and Interactive.

Jesus, I look back on it now and it's amazing to see just how connected Much was with it's audience.

Yep. It was amazing. I managed to get in a few times, I didn't make it into that foo fighters show though. The best thing was when Rick the Temp had me and some other randos test Orbits on the street. That drink, I was on the Ralp Benmurgi show (now there's a crazy 90s Toronto reference) talking about them too. I remember him saying "This is like corn, you're going to see them again" on air.

What are Orbitz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gc6hxTn06w

The last gasp of Muchmusic was like 2 years ago when they had the MMVAs and Serena Ryder was doing her rehearsal performance literally right outside the store I was working in at the time.

But yea, that kind of direct participation is pretty much dead with social media. It's a lot cheaper to scroll tweets across the bottom during a show, and if they have something with an actual audience, they're screened and pre selected, but only after the people who have an in get in.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

om nom nom posted:

PYF 2010's thing: loving spacebar while phoneposting is too small so I wind up hitting .,b or n instead of space

(i actually do this all the time when texting and phone posting and am not making fun of you, but relating. I had to edit out 5 commas during this post alone.)

I have giant meat hands which exacerbates the problem. I hate when it happens with all the periods the most. In my head it reads like somebody doing that karate chop the palm of your other hand thing to punctuate each word dramatically.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

twistedmentat posted:

Daria and MIssion Hill suffer from the same problems.

I think I'm the only person on earth that isn't upset about it because I was ten when Daria started airing and would not have been able to identify any of the music then.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I cannot imagine being a video game tester unless you were trying to get yourself to quit playing video games forever.

Also, I'll keep watching MTV as long as they keep making The Challenge, the only show not aimed at dumbass tweens.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

twistedmentat posted:

Yep. It was amazing. I managed to get in a few times, I didn't make it into that foo fighters show though. The best thing was when Rick the Temp had me and some other randos test Orbits on the street. That drink, I was on the Ralp Benmurgi show (now there's a crazy 90s Toronto reference) talking about them too. I remember him saying "This is like corn, you're going to see them again" on air.

What are Orbitz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gc6hxTn06w

The last gasp of Muchmusic was like 2 years ago when they had the MMVAs and Serena Ryder was doing her rehearsal performance literally right outside the store I was working in at the time.

But yea, that kind of direct participation is pretty much dead with social media. It's a lot cheaper to scroll tweets across the bottom during a show, and if they have something with an actual audience, they're screened and pre selected, but only after the people who have an in get in.

I met Serena Ryder back in '09 and again in '13 through work. She was super normal. Like just a completely, almost boringly normal person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Star Man posted:

Haven't American box suits been a thing for a long time?
Sure, but that changed into skinnier suits a while back.