Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's only one problem with nayuta no kiseki itself, as a game, and it's that it ends before lyra can confess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lynkericious posted:

That's still about as long as it takes to play Final Fantasy 4 though.

Yeah, I know, but I really don't see a reason why any of this needed to force you to run a New Game+ though. It feels really tacked on to me, like if it were just the Master Quartz I wouldn't really mind. But if I want all of the character notes, then I have to replay the entire game, just because Falcom intentionally made it so you couldn't get at the very least, two of them on a fresh run by limiting your bonding events.

It's a really tiny and stupid complaint, but it still doesn't really sit right with me. Though I really am happy that they fixed the difficulty settings, I've only been Game Overed on Hard once, and outside of that there's been quite a few other close calls. It feels like Hard is a legitimate, but fair challenge.

You are not forced to run through the game a second time. You are doing it because you are being an obsessive compulsive that wants to do everything. I played through twice because I wanted to and I'm going to load my first clear save when the second game comes because I want the game to reference I picked Laura and not whoever I picked last for my second run. This will net me less stuff my second time but I am 100% fine with that.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

The Colonel posted:

it really isn't

you're going to be reading that for the entire duration of a 20 hour long action rpg

none of the original script's humor or personality survives

it's a fantastic game but the translation is only good as a guideline for progressing through it. the only thing that keeps it from being, like, wild arms 2-level is that it's still possible to understand what the dialog is attempting to communicate

I think it's because he was expecting Gagharv-tier translation. Though honestly, the linked translation appears to be barely a step above.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/photos/a.194670997224988.58487.125439827481439/1416537918371617/?type=3&theater

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

The Black Stones posted:

You are not forced to run through the game a second time. You are doing it because you are being an obsessive compulsive that wants to do everything. I played through twice because I wanted to and I'm going to load my first clear save when the second game comes because I want the game to reference I picked Laura and not whoever I picked last for my second run. This will net me less stuff my second time but I am 100% fine with that.

I'm aware, but playing Trails In The Sky FC & SC, I did it 100% all the way through, as well as filling out the map 100% in Memories Of Celceta, so at this point I've basically just made it a trend to 100% Falcom games. I wasn't trying to say it made Cold Steel bad or anything, I sincerely love this game way too much, I was just stating that it kind of irks me that a New Game+ is required just to 100% it.

Also, gently caress Sharon as the Blade Master. How many times am I going to have to play against her until I get a hand that's actually winnable? It feels like she always gets enough 6's and 7's, and Mirror's to make sure you can never actually beat her.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

You're actually doing this for your upcoming LP, aren't you?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Slur posted:

You're actually doing this for your upcoming LP, aren't you?

I haven't decided if I'm doing the Character Notes again. A lot of them have ridiculously short windows and I already have the trophy.

Because I'm insane.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You should talk to every NPC always anyway!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Decus posted:

You should talk to every NPC always anyway!

Sometimes you really just want to get on with it and/or sometimes they really have absolutely nothing interesting to say.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't decided if I'm doing the Character Notes again. A lot of them have ridiculously short windows and I already have the trophy.

Because I'm insane.

In all honesty, I don't think it's worth going through the trouble of doing all of that for the sake of LP completion, unless you're really trying to be that meticulous.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you and Ewie end out with.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My plan was basically to show off every bonding event (some of which I haven't seen), try to max out everyone's Link and show all the after party conversations.

Beyond that, Really Pants has asked that I show off as many broken combos as possible, so there will be a lot of that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays in Chapter 6 of Cold Steel, when you're walking around the awesome thing and talking to everyone?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Really Pants posted:

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays in Chapter 6 of Cold Steel, when you're walking around the awesome thing and talking to everyone?

This one?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9WUb9LxJE

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Right in between the two cutscenes that play this, there's a part where you get to explore for a bit. It's that song I'm looking for.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't remember that at all so im not just gonna randomly guess, but i will say falcom orders their soundtracks in around the same order songs first play in. so go into the playlist the one i posted is part of, and look at the songs that fall around the one i posted

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I found it, but they don't have the name which is what I was hoping for :saddowns:

And Falcom Music Channel doesn't seem to have it at all. Oh well.

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I found it, but they don't have the name which is what I was hoping for :saddowns:

And Falcom Music Channel doesn't seem to have it at all. Oh well.

The reason you're having trouble finding it may be because it seems like it originally came from Trails in the Sky the 3rd. That video has it titled "The Final Choice," but on Amazon it's "The Last Choice."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh man, that'd do it. Thanks.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I listened to the Trails in the Sky 3rd soundtrack before playing Cold Steel and I instantly recognized the music at that point in the game. I was like...Crap, is there a 3rd reference I'm missing in this part of the game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

some people put out a menu patch for ys vs sora

http://retro-type.com/heroesoflegend/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&p=2285&sid=176efb04cc4df820baf807964968357a#p2285

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

holy crap!!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Oh, cool. Maybe we'll see more in the future :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this patch is a loving godsend, i can actually understand the more subtle mechanics of the game and why i should have these things equipped now

e; oh, and some of the victory text is definitely translated, too!

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 22, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh god why does everyone have poison why is this so hard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

oh god why does everyone have poison why is this so hard

estelle has a pretty brutal story mode, i think adol is a bit better in combat. there's an accessory you can get that mitigates poison and paralysis, and remember to buy accessories and power-ups at the shop!!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i was just playing arcade mode! finally managed to win a round against adol with aisha, only to have adol come back for the next round even harder :qq:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
http://i.imgur.com/1Ih31Ij.webm

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Is a full English patch out for that game now?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

trails of cold steel is broken on twitch and never returns any search results for some reason

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

lets hang out posted:

trails of cold steel is broken on twitch and never returns any search results for some reason

Good thing I'll be putting my LP on YouTube then!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Ooh boy, I hope that patch goes further. It's been so long since I laid my hands on that game, but it'd be nice to actually know what's going on.

I think I just used a wiki to figure out what stuff did and went from there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EDIT: greetings from the past, time-traveler. this post was quite bad and i'm tired of looking at it whenever i wanna find old discussions. ok thanks

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 22, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since you're not accumulating element values to unlock your spells in Cold Steel, is there really a point to the lines in your ARCUS? Other than I guess it's cheaper to unlock the first slot of a new line than the second slot of a larger line?

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Since you're not accumulating element values to unlock your spells in Cold Steel, is there really a point to the lines in your ARCUS? Other than I guess it's cheaper to unlock the first slot of a new line than the second slot of a larger line?

The further away from the center a line is the more EP you get so it benefits casters. However, you can put one status effect quartz in the ARCUS in each line you have unlocked. That benefits your physical attackers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By status effects, you mean Poison/Seal/Mute/Impede? Are those more useful in Cold Steel because I never really used them in TitS except for characters who needed some kind of element in a certain slot and I'd run out of good stat boosters since you couldn't stack the boosts in that game.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Status effects are generally more useful in Cold Steel, yeah. Iirc status effect quartz also apply to your crafts in Cold Steel.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can also have one stat debuff quartz in each ARCUS line, in addition to a status effect. They're both pretty handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

XainZero posted:

Status effects are generally more useful in Cold Steel, yeah. Iirc status effect quartz also apply to your crafts in Cold Steel.

Status effect quartz also applying to your crafts was actually already the case in Sky, hence people's penchant for putting freeze or deathblow quartz on Tita and then unleashing Smoke Cannon on mobs.

What makes status ailments much more useful in Cold Steel is the combination of the following two things:

- Sky only allowed you to have a single status effect on your weapon, which typically hit with 10 or 20% accuracy. (if it worked) Steel allows you to put a status ailment quartz in each separate line. (ditto with debuffs) Couple this with some unique quartz that can inflict multiple status ailments and you have a pretty decent chance of SOMETHING landing on an enemy you strike. If you have three lines and you put a special double-ailment quartz in each line, your enemy will have a buffet with 6 ailments served each time your attacks/crafts connect. Even though each of those individual ailments only has 10% of connecting, this quickly adds up.

- In Sky, enemies either had full or no immunity to status ailments. If an enemy had no confuse immunity, Chaos Brand would confuse it 100% of the time, no further questions asked, and Zane's Smite craft would always confuse it 50% of the time. Cold Steel actually has partial resistences on enemies. Stronger enemies, for example, have 50% Freeze immunity, so a craft/art that has 50% to freeze an enemy will land the freeze ailment 1 out of 4 times. In Sky, bosses and most strong enemies were simply immune to all useful ailments. In Steel, the partial immunity system and the fact that the game's coded to automatically have ailments wear off on bosses after a single of their turn means that pretty much every boss can be hit with ailments to some degree. In fact, a boss having 0% in all ailments often simply means you're not meant to win that fight.

Some ailments got tweaked between the arcs. Being hit while petrified is no longer a 100% deathblow, but rather 30% or so. (it still sucks) Sleep and Faint are nastier since physical hits on a sleeping/fainted target are a guaranteed critical. Poison was weakened, but there's a new status called Burning that's taken its place as "high damage every turn"-ailment. There's also Nightmare, which is like Sleep except it slaps you with another status right after the initial ailment wears off/is broken. Impede quartz now adds a small AT-delay effect to your physical attacks, meaning it's quite a bit more useful now.

But yeah, ailments are quite a bit more useful now.

The tradeoff for not having many short lines is simply more EP. Which can still be useful because arts are a lot more expensive in Cold Steel.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 23, 2016