Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Getsuya posted:

The real bizarre thing about Umineko is that if you strip away all the BS red-herring stuff that didn't actually happen the actual real story is just about a girl whose family dies and then she goes around trying to find proof that the tabloids are wrong and they were good people and then when she can't actually find proof she decides to just believe they were good people for herself and ignore what the world says about them. That's the whole plot.

Um, I think you'll find that that summary of the plot does not mention top-tier Gay Kidz Will and Lion, who are very important and real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

apparently the end of the VN teases it, but MG announced proper that they'll be releasing the other fata morgana thing (MG tumblr calls it a prequel, twitter a fandisc. i dunno)

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 21, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Motto posted:

apparently the end of the VN teases it, but MG announced proper that they'll be releasing the other fata morgana thing (MG tumblr calls it a prequel, twitter a fandisc. i dunno)

VNDB also calls it a fandisc, so I'm going to guess that it is a fandisc that is set before the original VN.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Are there any good VNs available on iOS? It seems like a good format for them but all I know of is the comic book version of 999 and foreign language versions of S;G.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ryoshi posted:

Are there any good VNs available on iOS? It seems like a good format for them but all I know of is the comic book version of 999 and foreign language versions of S;G.

Banshee's Cry has an iOS port, it's once of the earliest VN's from when they were known as 'sound novels' and didn't have much in the way of graphics, it's pretty good though.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
So, the first four episodes of Umineko will be out on Steam in early July. I've heard good things about it, but is it worth reading just the first half and waiting for the rest?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

absolutely

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tatarigoroshi on June 24th, by the way.

All 4 umineko questions arcs out on apparently the same day, huh, but Higurashi...

To be fair, they seem to be using Witch Hunt's already-existing more than suitable fan translation as a base so that's not really fair. It'll be interesting to compare the changes in the official release of Umineko.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The first half are the "Question" arcs. The mystery isn't explained in these chapters, you're just left to wonder :wtc: is going on. I'd say its well worth it, having made it halfway through Chapter 3 before suddenly being busy and not keeping up with it.

Also, I'm through the first day of the Before route in Root Double and am not really feeling it. The ages of the characters are all sorts of wonky, I thought that Louise would be at least 17 or 18 judging by her combat proficiency with that fire axe that a grown man might struggle to handle, let alone a 13 year old kid. Still, the atmosphere's pretty nice and relaxing after the tension of the After route.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also unless the Steam screenshots are cockteasing me, it looks like Umineko might come with the Old Sprites, New Sprites, and the PS3 sprites. That's pretty nice and I did not expect that at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Can someone give me a spoiler free idea of how Umineko and Higurashi are related?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko was sortof targeted at a group of readers who would discuss each game between releases. Having a break to think about things and discuss your ideas with other players between 4 and 5 may give you a better experience overall. And if the answers arc is delayed forever you can just go and dig out the original version.

I guess there's gonna be no voices though which sucks because the voice cast was really good.

Ryoshi posted:

Can someone give me a spoiler free idea of how Umineko and Higurashi are related?
The link is mostly thematic. There are nods, references and some character overlap but nothing explicit.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Umineko was sortof targeted at a group of readers who would discuss each game between releases. Having a break to think about things and discuss your ideas with other players between 4 and 5 may give you a better experience overall. And if the answers arc is delayed forever you can just go and dig out the original version.

I guess there's gonna be no voices though which sucks because the voice cast was really good.
The link is mostly thematic. There are nods, references and some character overlap but nothing explicit.

So, my experience in reading Umineko won't be harmed by having only read the first 3 chapters of Higurashi (by the time it comes out), right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It won't really harm your experience with Umineko but it might reach backwards and spoil some parts of Higurashi for you.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
There are a few ways in which Umineko works better if you play it after Higurashi, but they're pretty minor. I played Umineko first and never felt like I was missing out on anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are absolutely no story bits that relate to each other in such a way that one will spoil the other, however going Higurashi->Umineko will make the way certain plot twists play out in the latter have their own little flair that are interesting/amusing.

Glad to hear about Tatarigoroshi, and that presumably Umineko coming out the way it is means that series isn't a big timesink for them either in delaying more Higurashi chapters.

voltcatfish posted:

To be fair, they seem to be using Witch Hunt's already-existing more than suitable fan translation as a base so that's not really fair. It'll be interesting to compare the changes in the official release of Umineko.
I don't see any PS3 sprites on the Steam page myself, unless I'm forgetting how some of them looked. Also gently caress the updated sprites are bad, I'd 100% say go with the originals in this case.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 22, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

One thing I can say about Umineko before even reading it is that it has an absolutely fantastic soundtrack. I'd buy it just to get a hold of the OST.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The updated ones are bad, but arent as bad as the originals. Wait for a PS3 and voice mod.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The updated ones are bad, but arent as bad as the originals. Wait for a PS3 and voice mod.

Erm, can someone explain to me why the updated sprites are bad? I know I've heard people say the same about the Higurashi ones, but I don't see it for either. To me, both the PS3 ones and the updated ones look fine. Am I really aesthetically blind, or is there something I'm missing?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

They're fine, people are weird.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MegaZeroX posted:

Erm, can someone explain to me why the updated sprites are bad? I know I've heard people say the same about the Higurashi ones, but I don't see it for either. To me, both the PS3 ones and the updated ones look fine. Am I really aesthetically blind, or is there something I'm missing?
There's nothing to "explain", if you don't think they look like garbage that's fine because all of this is subjective. To me the proportions are incredibly wonky and alien, with facial expressions that just don't mesh well at all especially the eyes. While they were still an improvement over the originals in Higurashi they seem to have gotten worse in Umineko. Alchemist's PS2/PS3 sprites are not amazing but they at least seem to tick the right checkboxes for just making something that's inoffensive, at worse you could call them generic I suppose.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Heavy neutrino posted:

So, the first four episodes of Umineko will be out on Steam in early July. I've heard good things about it, but is it worth reading just the first half and waiting for the rest?

If you want to be REALLY pro, read the first four chapters, then solve the mystery yourself and never touch the last four.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Heh... real OGs only need the first chapter...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

I personally really like the PS3 sprites for Umineko. They are detailed nicely, and are drawn and colored in just the right way befitting of Umineko's overall tone. The sprites being used for the Steam release are taken from some Pachinko game apparently, and they look about as low-rent to me as that sounds. I just don't dig the more angular faces, and the coloring work specifically looks real bad to me. I'm also willing to bet that there are going to be way fewer poses and variations, and the expressions just don't do it for me as much as the PS3 sprites did.

Also it's releasing July 8th, not June 24th like someone said.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
...i actually did have the correct culprit by episode 2's end but if you can guess who, how, and whydunnit by that point you're a lunatic. umineko is good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I never could shake the feeling of ryukishi thinking you're a massive loving idiot if you can't guess the culprit by at least episode 4

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i mean, for good reason, by that point it's really obvious

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was still completely clueless by the end of Episode 4 :smith:

Most people I talked to were, actually.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
well

yeah that's fair

hindsight is 20/20 after all

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
but compared to the way in which the culprit is foreshadowed in the first episode or the second, the fourth episode is relatively pounding it into your head with a hammer, so from the perspective of ryukishi, who knew it all from the get go, i can speak from experience that it is half hilarious, half infuriating to have people just not be able to pick up what you're putting down

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I actually noticed some of that foreshadowing early on... then I forgot it until like episode 5. At least the "ahah" moment was pretty cool when I finally put everything together.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

To be honest though, there's so much junk going on in Umineko that it feels like theorycrafting is pointless because the next episode will just one-up the next anyways. I think just hanging on for the ride was more fun than overthinking it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There was a translated letter or something by Ryukishi, where he said that he specifically put in a scene of of Battler going "Ah, now I understand everything" into ep. 05 because many readers were like

psy_wombats posted:

To be honest though, there's so much junk going on in Umineko that it feels like theorycrafting is pointless because the next episode will just one-up the next anyways. I think just hanging on for the ride was more fun than overthinking it.

That scene was there specifically to signal "You have enough information to solve everything".

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I feel really bad for anyone who didn't legit try to solve the mystery of Umineko. It's stellar.

Relatedly, I also feel bad for anyone who has only watched the anime.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
There's only one good thing about the Umineko Anime, and that's YAMI WO KIRISAKU OH DESIRE

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not too difficult to ascertain a pretty good idea at who the culprit is before the end of EP4, if not earlier. A lot of it is arguably just circumstantial or process of elimination but the evidence is there. The actual mechanics as to how it all went down and especially the motive(s) involved is an entirely different story, to say nothing about the epitaph which solving ahead of time is insane to me.

Sifting through the red/blue text trying to figure out each step of the story in every EP was so much god drat fun, and it's something you really did need a couple of weeks/months in between to do. Immediately moving on to the next EP after finishing a given chapter just can't be as good/fun IMO, but sadly that's a ship that has likely permanently passed. Arguably it could be a lot of fun in a LP with people who have never read it before but doing a LP of Umineko would be for crazy people; did that one here ever start back up or did it stay forever stalled?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Arguably it could be a lot of fun in a LP with people who have never read it before

Stuff like that never works because you always end up with the following types of people in the thread:
- People who actually haven't played it
- People who played it and who post spoilers as "speculation" just because they're assholes
- People who played it and don't *want* to spoil anything, but do so anyway by steering the discussion into certain directions because they know what's relevant and what isn't.

Eventually, someone in group 1 guesses a few right answers, then someone in group 3 accuses them of belonging to group 2, thus confirming that it's true and spoiling everyone.

The first Dangan Ronpa LP worked because it was totally unknown in the west before the LP, which wasn't true anymore for the second game. Another example would be the Rokka no Yuusha thread for the anime that aired last year.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've seen vn lps work on other sites but maybe it's too much for goons

I'd be happy just to see more blind streams, as long as they aren't reading every line out loud

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 23, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really see the point of LPing what basically amounts to a book with music and sprites. I guess it's basically like a book club.

alcharagia posted:

...i actually did have the correct culprit by episode 2's end but if you can guess who, how, and whydunnit by that point you're a lunatic. umineko is good
It's legitimately great how painfully obvious everything seems when you re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

That's all interesting re: Umineko. I'm usually the sort of completely clueless reader who just sits back and enjoys the ride, but I'll try to actually use my brain with this one.