Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

too thick of oil if it's sticky. Get that sucker super hot then start again.
Could be, though I thought having them upside down would take care of that through dripping. Guess I'll scrub them well and redo.

SubG posted:

It sounds like either a) your grill wasn't actually hitting 400 F, or b) your shortening has a smoke point higher than 400 F. Generic veg shortening usually has a smoke point around 375 F (give or take depending on composition), but many common veg oils have smoke points at or above 400 F (like canola).

If you're planning on doing a bunch of seasoning, 500 F is a safer bet, unless you happen to know the smoke point of the oil you're using is much lower.
Used vegetable shortening which Google says has a smoke point of ~360F. Guess the grill wasn't that high then? Is there a drawback, other than energy waste, if it goes well above the smoking point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

rgocs posted:

Could be, though I thought having them upside down would take care of that through dripping. Guess I'll scrub them well and redo.

Used vegetable shortening which Google says has a smoke point of ~360F. Guess the grill wasn't that high then? Is there a drawback, other than energy waste, if it goes well above the smoking point?

You want it high enough to burn and carbonize the oil to the pan but not hot enough that the carbon burns off. A bit like spilling poo poo in your oven and it bakes on at regular oven temps up to around 550. But put on the cleaning cycle and the oven goes to 8-900 and all the poo poo burns off.

But a temp around 550 is high enough to carbonize the oil but just barely and allows a nice even heating of the pan and the oil. I would worry about a grill heating evenly enough to get a decent base coat of seasoning on a cast iron pan.

Edit: looks like my previous reply ended up on the last page while you were typing. You might want to flip back.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shortening is all I season with. Just have the pan warmed up a little and it's easy to apply a super thin coat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

rgocs posted:

There's a fair amount of variability in vegetable shortening because different vegetable oils are used to produce it, so you can find veg shortenings with smoke points from around 325F to around 400F, depending on what's in them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Shortening is all I season with. Just have the pan warmed up a little and it's easy to apply a super thin coat.
Using a rag/towel/something you don't mind getting gooier than Pr0k's Mom after Fleet Week/whatever to spread the seasoning oil around a little after it's gotten warmed up is pretty much always a good idea. I usually wipe the pan down with a light coat of oil---just enough to make it look slick---then heat it, wipe it down again, heat until it smokes, keep heating until the smoke starts to tail off, then wipe the surface down again with the oily rag/towel/whatever, and then let that smoke until it's done. And call that `one coat' or whatever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KillHour posted:

Gonna make all the potatoes. :v:

Seriously, though. I'm debating whether to donate the pot to the city mission or use it as an excuse to finally start homebrewing.

Or you could house a refugee family.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

you ate my cat posted:

This reminds me of the time that I bought an 18" potato masher without thinking about size. You want it? That pot might be the right size for it.

Or the time I was buying a mortar and pestle and the "large" was on sale for few bucks extra, so I impulse bought it and discovered it was a large twenty-pound hunk of granite that I couldn't fit into my kitchen.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks to everyone who chimed in regarding cast iron seasoning.

Pubic Lair posted:

I have used shortening in the past and it is very difficult to apply in a thin coat. Anywhere that is thick is going to stay gummy. Supposedly it will run off when hot but in my experience some parts will still be thick enough to get gummy.

Ideally you should use flax oil (which is food grade linseed) heat the pan to 200F or so. Wipe on a thin coat of oil and then wipe excess off. Then put in a 550F oven for an hour and let cool for 2 hours then repeat 3-7 times.
I might have overdone the shortening assuming it would just drip off. I'll try again with it though, since I won't use it otherwise. Is the letting cool step between coats a requirement? Or just so you can split the process in several days?

Pubic Lair posted:

But a temp around 550 is high enough to carbonize the oil but just barely and allows a nice even heating of the pan and the oil. I would worry about a grill heating evenly enough to get a decent base coat of seasoning on a cast iron pan.
Point taken. How much smoke does it actually produce? As I mentioned before, I read it was a lot, so using the grill had the benefit of not smoking out our 6 month old daughter.

SubG posted:

There's a fair amount of variability in vegetable shortening because different vegetable oils are used to produce it, so you can find veg shortenings with smoke points from around 325F to around 400F, depending on what's in them.

Using a rag/towel/something you don't mind getting gooier than Pr0k's Mom after Fleet Week/whatever to spread the seasoning oil around a little after it's gotten warmed up is pretty much always a good idea. I usually wipe the pan down with a light coat of oil---just enough to make it look slick---then heat it, wipe it down again, heat until it smokes, keep heating until the smoke starts to tail off, then wipe the surface down again with the oily rag/towel/whatever, and then let that smoke until it's done. And call that `one coat' or whatever.
Right. Googled some more and, found someone saying Crisco told them their smoke point was actually 440F :sigh: Will try with higher heat anyway. I'll try the seasoning again when I find some time to babysit the operation.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

rgocs posted:

I might have overdone the shortening assuming it would just drip off. I'll try again with it though, since I won't use it otherwise. Is the letting cool step between coats a requirement? Or just so you can split the process in several days?

I think the cooling helps the seasoning set better and avoids the chance of getting gummy seasoning. It's also much safer from a burn hazard perspective. I don't always wait the full period between coats I will sometimes just wait 1/2 hour or so with the oven off by which point the pan will be back around 200 degrees and I will re oil and rebake. I usually skip a full cooldown when I'm impatient and have occasionally had stickiness issues especially when using less ideal coatings like shortening.

rgocs posted:

Point taken. How much smoke does it actually produce? As I mentioned before, I read it was a lot, so using the grill had the benefit of not smoking out our 6 month old daughter.

That depends on the oil, Flax isn't terribly smoky but it has a weird fish odor when it smokes. Turning on your vent hood or opening a few windows and it's not a huge deal.

rgocs posted:

Right. Googled some more and, found someone saying Crisco told them their smoke point was actually 440F :sigh: Will try with higher heat anyway. I'll try the seasoning again when I find some time to babysit the operation.

As I said crisco is pretty crappy compared to something liquid that you can wipe on and off to get a thin coat. I have used sunflower and even olive oil and had much better results than crisco. Traditionally people used bacon fat but supposedly modern feeding practices have changed the makeup of pigfat leading to less ALA.

Rather than keep typing I'll link this article that explains everything you need to know

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I think 7 layers is a bit of overkill myself but Flax really does make the slickest, most durable seasoning and is worth the effort to find. I've started going through my collection and stripping old pans that I seasoned using lesser oils and shortening and reseasoning with flax.

If you can't find flax sunflower is the next best oil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_value

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 14, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Is there any consensus on carbon steel skillets? Lodge 'good enough' or is it worth upgrading to something pricier? I've only ever used carbon steel for woks but it worked well enough that a skillet seems like it would be nice. I'm currently using tri-ply stainless and cast iron.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Is there any consensus on carbon steel skillets? Lodge 'good enough' or is it worth upgrading to something pricier? I've only ever used carbon steel for woks but it worked well enough that a skillet seems like it would be nice. I'm currently using tri-ply stainless and cast iron.

Whatever you can find at a restaurant store or Matfer Bourgeat.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
In this order: Matfer, Vollrath, Lodge.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does Thermoworks normally have Father's Day sales? They've got a 15% off deal going right now for everything on their site, but I'm wondering if they'll be offering ThermaPens any cheaper than that come Father's Day time.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Does Thermoworks normally have Father's Day sales? They've got a 15% off deal going right now for everything on their site, but I'm wondering if they'll be offering ThermaPens any cheaper than that come Father's Day time.

Hmm. I don't know, sorry!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm not sure, but even if they do, I doubt it'll be any better than 15% off a Thermapen. I'd bite before that sale ends (if it hasn't already).

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Looking at my old email, last year for Father's Day they had "save up to 30% on select items". Doesn't look like ThermaPens were one of the select items.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Got the Lavatools Javelin basic model since Serious Eats ran a promo for 18% off. It just arrived today so I can't speak to how well it holds up over time but the thing's a little beast. They advertise 4 second read times but that's talking about tenths of degrees. For whole degrees it's effectively instant. The magnet in it isn't very strong but it sticks to a knife block no problem. Also it's sexy. After discount and shipping it was like $26 which is ridiculous. So yeah I recommend that, so what

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I shall wait on the ThermaPens to go back on sale, thank you. :colbert:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Are there any temperature monitors that have a probe that goes inside the oven with long-ish leads that extend to a monitor outside the oven? Jabbing a ThermaPen into a wad of meat around the time you think things might be done is all cool and good, but having a continuous monitor that could maybe beep at you when the center of your wad of meat first hits some pre-set temperature would be ideal.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

Are there any temperature monitors that have a probe that goes inside the oven with long-ish leads that extend to a monitor outside the oven? Jabbing a ThermaPen into a wad of meat around the time you think things might be done is all cool and good, but having a continuous monitor that could maybe beep at you when the center of your wad of meat first hits some pre-set temperature would be ideal.

Yes. I have a couple of these and like them.

Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-StqxbQS0TJBA

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

On the topic of matfer bourgeat, Amazon restocked sometime in the last month. Prices are back down the the $30-$50 range for the various sizes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

PDP-1 posted:

Cooks Illustrated recommends either of these.

http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IKT0002P5-Kitchen-Thermometer/dp/B00IJ1SQV2

I have the idevices bluetooth one. Works great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PDP-1 posted:

I have the DOT, which doesn't have all the extra poo poo that the ChefAlarm has that you will probably never use. But it's hard to go wrong with anything from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I have the DOT, which doesn't have all the extra poo poo that the ChefAlarm has that you will probably never use. But it's hard to go wrong with anything from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

I think you and I had the same problem where our cheap-o ones kept fluttering back and forth between F and C. Was that your replacement and you dig it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I think you and I had the same problem where our cheap-o ones kept fluttering back and forth between F and C. Was that your replacement and you dig it?

Edit: Yeah this replaced that crappy thing. Should have done it way sooner.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Thanks goons!

After considering the info in this thread I decided to head down to the local restaurant supply in town instead of ordering online or buying something at a big box store.

I absolutely love the Update International pans and pots I picked up. It's nice being able to replace a couple pans at a time with what I really need.

So thanks again!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Super good deal Amazon has the Waring Pro WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker on sale for $55.99 with free shipping. http://amzn.com/B0034JU9T6

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Super good deal Amazon has the Waring Pro WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker on sale for $55.99 with free shipping. http://amzn.com/B0034JU9T6

Said it before, but for my money, this is the holy grail of waffle makers.

Edit: I didn't have enough baking powder this weekend so I subbed in buttermilk for some of the milk and added some baking soda. I also forgot the egg because I was too busy improvising with buttermilk. Kids said they were the best waffles they've ever had. Go figure.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Goddamn, I wish that would work on a 220v outlet :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Croatoan posted:

gently caress, now I'm sad I already got the single version. :(

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I mean. I like waffles, but am I responsible enough to have such a thing and not immediately start putting everything into it? Hmm.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that is exactly why I got it. I haven't had a waffle in like 6 years but I will make waffle shaped everything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

I mean. I like waffles, but am I responsible enough to have such a thing and not immediately start putting everything into it? Hmm.

My two favorite non waffle waffles are waffle brownies (needs lots of nonstick spray in my experience) and cornbread waffles (ridiculously good).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm betrothed to waffle-reheated pizza and waffle grilled cheese.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to picture what a waffle reheated pizza would look like

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I'm trying to picture what a waffle reheated pizza would look like

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2014/01/leftover-pizza-waffle-iron-delicious-crispy-gooey-cheese-stuffed-snack.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want to buy it but I can't decide if I should.

I'm waffling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I need to make more instant breads and a waffle seems to be king of that.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Guys. Wafalafel. Make it happen. Let me live vicariously through you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

Guys. Wafalafel. Make it happen. Let me live vicariously through you.

You could probably build a successful mall food court chain based on that name alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh my lord. :syoon: