Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Are there any vlodimir walk mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Leinadi posted:

Haha, yeah... there are a few moments in the Witcher 1 that can kinda make you question your sanity. That part is probably one of the worst offenders. I think the cutscene at the start of Act 1 (where the girl and Alvin are getting chased by the dog) is another good one, at least when they get inside the barricades and the camera just cuts around to these various people reacting. It's so drat awkward.
Never tried playing with polish voices, maybe it's less awkward there?

Yeessssssss. The scene where Alvin and his mom or girlfriend are walking through the woods in the middle of the night for god knows what reason, and Alvin keeps calling her by her first name ("Caroline").

Then, Shani starts a conversation with Geralt in the perfect spot--Alvin's writhing around in the dirt behind her for the entire thing.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Witcher 1 does a good job of at least kind of establishing that Zoltan's an old friend, but I'm pretty sure it's a little shaky in how it introduces Dandelion. It's one of those things where you had to have read the books to know about the character, kind of like Yen in the third game.

Also that tangent just reminded me of the stupid grandma that guards Shanni who will always approach you with a completely loving random interaction, ranging from being nice to being forgetful to being a complete bastard. The only consistency is entering while drunk. And sometimes that happens directly after she challenges you to a drinking contest?!

"WHAAAAAAAT?! You're DRUNK!"

Definitely one of those moments.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bluhman posted:

Witcher 1 does a good job of at least kind of establishing that Zoltan's an old friend, but I'm pretty sure it's a little shaky in how it introduces Dandelion. It's one of those things where you had to have read the books to know about the character, kind of like Yen in the third game.

Also that tangent just reminded me of the stupid grandma that guards Shanni who will always approach you with a completely loving random interaction, ranging from being nice to being forgetful to being a complete bastard. The only consistency is entering while drunk. And sometimes that happens directly after she challenges you to a drinking contest?!

"WHAAAAAAAT?! You're DRUNK!"

Definitely one of those moments.

Yeah the game ambushes you with Dandelion and it doesn't help that he's got a stupid name and Shani's dialogue/voice-acting makes her seem really cagey about the whole introduction. It was kind of like the equivalent of somebody answering the door and trying to use their eyes to signal to you that the murderer is crouched behind the door holding them hostage.

I forgot to mention that the music doesn't change for Shani's party, so you have this really heavy, foreboding music playing in the background as four assholes stagger around and try to steal pickles and lard from the grandma.

"WHAAAAT?! You're DRUNK!" Grandma kicks Geralt out of the house, but he staggers back in as Zoltan runs interception, shouting, "Go for it!" and then promptly standing motionless.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

The base game has a solid 80-100 hours of content, I would say just go for it and start in.

Yeah, I got about 100 hours clocked in, with HoS done as well. I had finished all but one sidequests (missing having all Gwent cards, because I couldn't be bothered to track down which merchant in bumfuck nowhere I hadn't fought/bought cards from yet; I guess it's possible I missed some random quests though) and visited all ?, except the ones in Skelige because gently caress them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ta muchly for the advice everyone, I'll get started when I get some free time later.

Kind of glad I didn't have to wait to be honest. Been looking forward to playing this for a long while now.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Tower of the Swallow (book 4 in the saga) is finally out in English today :toot:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I bought this game at release but only started playing now. I'm past the Griffin and into the second area. Some questions, because I'm not reading 700 pages of thread:

1) the only difference between armor weight types seems to be the respective perks from the skill tree, correct? So I just look at the perk line I like and go with that?

2) money seems pretty tight right now. There're recipes and diagrams I could not afford in the first area, can I eventually go back to get them?

3) saddlebags and other horse equipment worth the money?

4) is there a more comfortable way to apply oils than to go in the inventory each time?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Heavier armour types give more armour but also make your stamina recharge slower, I believe.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also I think you can go back to White Orchard straight away. Go to a signpost and in the map interface there should be a button for zooming out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's no way to apply oils without opening the inventory. There's a 'trick' though that lets you apply oils during combat on PC (doesn't work on consoles) by dragging the oil onto the sword but maybe it has been patched.

You'll be tight on money during the beginning but some people experience this for an unnecessarily long period of time. Pick up absolutely everything that your enemies drop and sell it, don't forget to loot monster nests after destroying them, don't blow everything on every recipe and Gwent card that you see at first, find that banker in Novigrad and regularly exchange currency. You do all that and you'll enter the wealthy Geralt game phase soon.

Also upgrade all the horse equipment when you can afford it, it makes a difference. There's also a skill added with the HoS patch that makes your weight limit higher, use it.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Toiwat posted:

So I bought this game at release but only started playing now. I'm past the Griffin and into the second area. Some questions, because I'm not reading 700 pages of thread:

1) the only difference between armor weight types seems to be the respective perks from the skill tree, correct? So I just look at the perk line I like and go with that?

2) money seems pretty tight right now. There're recipes and diagrams I could not afford in the first area, can I eventually go back to get them?

4) is there a more comfortable way to apply oils than to go in the inventory each time?

Heavier armors slow stamina regeneration, but offer more damage resistances. A light build will focus a lot on well-timed signs and postpower attacks, while heavy will be all about hack-and-slash with normal light/heavy attacks, and lots of alchemy. Honestly medium armor is probably the easiest and most flexible to play. If only Griffin armor wasn't so golden. Also late-game I've found it much more beneficial to stick with only the main tree skills ( combat, magic, alchemy) because of how they augment mutagens.

Formula and over levelled gear should stay where it is in a shopkeeps stash. Witcher contacts are just the thing to build up that revenue.

The best saddlebags I found were from horse races and random dungeons. I'd strongly advise against buying saddlebags from stores.

Honestly wish oil hotkeys or shortcuts were a thing. If a quicker way to apply oil exists, I don't know it.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 23, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a good inventory mod that puts oils and potions on a quickbar.

E: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/365/

It's great, it does a bunch of other neat things too, though b/w will probably break it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Toiwat posted:

On my second play-through, I started using a mod to automatically apply oils based on what you're fighting. If you're playing on PC, it's a huge quality of life improvement: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/625/

For your other questions, you can always come back to get stuff, barring some points of no return near the end of the game but those are signposted pretty heavily. Saddlebags are important because they up your carry weight. Saddles are good so you can gallop longer. Blinders just help your horse not throw you when you get jumped by ghouls or whatever.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Right, thanks everyone! I'm having a blast with this. Kind of regret having put it off for so long.

On another note, one thing I've noticed about my play-through, after playing W1 and W2, is that I kind of gave up on having situations resolve in a good way and now I'm just kind of playing at guessing in which way Geralt's involvement will gently caress poo poo up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bluhman posted:

Heavier armors slow stamina regeneration, but offer more damage resistances. A light build will focus a lot on well-timed signs and post attacks, while heavy will be all about hack-and-slash with normal light/heavy attacks, and lots of alchemy. Honestly medium armor is probably the easiest and most flexible to play. If only Griffin armor wasn't so golden. Also late-game I've found it much more beneficial to stick with only the main tree skills ( combat, magic, alchemy) because of how they augment mutagens.

Maybe I'll go for a heavy build this time. I do love the look of the Ursine armor just all around, and I enjoy swords + alchemy builds. The only thing giving me pause is that I kind of want to work at least a little sign use in this time, ideally melting armor with Igni and maybe stronger Aard, but heavy armor will nuke my Stamina regeneration so I won't get to use signs that much.

Wait, isn't there a potion that increases Stamina regeneration? That might help.

Related question: is the Flood of Anger ability worth it? Dumping all three Adrenaline points right away seems like a big price to pay, but having occasional access to superpowered signs even with a pure red build sounds kind of fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Maybe I'll go for a heavy build this time. I do love the look of the Ursine armor just all around, and I enjoy swords + alchemy builds. The only thing giving me pause is that I kind of want to work at least a little sign use in this time, ideally melting armor with Igni and maybe stronger Aard, but heavy armor will nuke my Stamina regeneration so I won't get to use signs that much.

Wait, isn't there a potion that increases Stamina regeneration? That might help.

Related question: is the Flood of Anger ability worth it? Dumping all three Adrenaline points right away seems like a big price to pay, but having occasional access to superpowered signs even with a pure red build sounds kind of fun.

There is a potion that increases stamina regen, yes. Also, with a heavy armor build, get the talent that lets you cast signs off adrenaline points. It's how I beat the game the first time through.

Second time through I'm favoring Aard over Igni for the most part, especially against anything that's human sized. Knockdowns are kind of broken since you can instantly kill anything on the ground.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Am I better off using a controller for this? I started playing this last night for the first time and while it looks pretty, the controls seem a bit wonky to me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

whatspeakyou posted:

Am I better off using a controller for this? I started playing this last night for the first time and while it looks pretty, the controls seem a bit wonky to me.

Personally, yeah, I think it works better. You don't get as many hotkeys and that sort of thing, but it's also not like you need the pinpoint accuracy of a mouse and keyboard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

There is a potion that increases stamina regen, yes. Also, with a heavy armor build, get the talent that lets you cast signs off adrenaline points. It's how I beat the game the first time through.

Second time through I'm favoring Aard over Igni for the most part, especially against anything that's human sized. Knockdowns are kind of broken since you can instantly kill anything on the ground.

I'll probably try to grab both. I'm thinking a build with like 6 red skills (probably not going to get Whirl or Rend, if only because I tend to prefer the normal light/heavy attacks), 3 blue, and 3 green. It'll diffuse my mutagen bonuses a bit, but I hope the versatility makes up for it. The blue skills will probably be Melt Armor and then strong Aard skills.

Have you tried the skill that lets you dump all your Adrenaline points into a sign (Flood of Anger)? I imagine with heavy armor and a pile of red skills, Adrenaline builds up pretty quickly, and getting to blast off a fully-upgraded Aard for three points sounds kind of fun.

whatspeakyou posted:

I pretty strongly prefer a controller for this, yeah.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
You could always use ursine armour but get the olfieri runesmith to enchant it to be treated as light armour. It's a level three enchantment though so you need a bunch of cash to get it. Probably only viable in the late game

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

whatspeakyou posted:

I've got 180 hours in it using M&KB, works great for me!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

whatspeakyou posted:

Just a reminder that there's an alternative movement option in the settings that makes Geralt's movements less inertia-driven and more like in other third person games.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Welp, death march proved too much for me. I had to turn it down during the botchling/lubberkin part of the Baron's quest - those wraiths kept kicking my rear end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I frantically buy every potion recipie and gwent card I can find, but I don't understand why the game has six thousand armor recipes for poo poo that is almost always worse than whatever Witcher school gear that you can complete a five minute quest to get

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The major problem with M&KB is dodge on alt. If you have a button on the side of your mouse set it to that, and then I'd really recommend M&KB, otherwise controller.

I think that one keybinding is responsible for about a good 1/3 of the griping about the combat.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 23, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The major problem with M&KB is dodge on alt. If you have a button on the side of your mouse set it to that, and then I'd really recommend M&KB, otherwise controller.

I think that one keybinding is responsible for about a good 1/3 of the griping about the combat.

The first thing I tell anyone starting the game is to switch the dodge and roll keys, so dodge is on space and roll is on alt.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

I'll probably try to grab both. I'm thinking a build with like 6 red skills (probably not going to get Whirl or Rend, if only because I tend to prefer the normal light/heavy attacks), 3 blue, and 3 green. It'll diffuse my mutagen bonuses a bit, but I hope the versatility makes up for it. The blue skills will probably be Melt Armor and then strong Aard skills.

Have you tried the skill that lets you dump all your Adrenaline points into a sign (Flood of Anger)? I imagine with heavy armor and a pile of red skills, Adrenaline builds up pretty quickly, and getting to blast off a fully-upgraded Aard for three points sounds kind of fun.

I pretty strongly prefer a controller for this, yeah.

I've never tried Flood of Anger but I think I'm going to when my next slot opens. I Aarded a bandit so hard yesterday he went flying over the horizon. I can't replicate it again but that might help! :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I frantically buy every potion recipie and gwent card I can find, but I don't understand why the game has six thousand armor recipes for poo poo that is almost always worse than whatever Witcher school gear that you can complete a five minute quest to get

That's probably why they adjusted the level requirements of the early Witcher gear up a bit, so there's at least a short period of time where you might want to wear that Bounty Hunter's Gambeson or whatever.

All the equipment recipes do seem kind of odd to me. I wish they'd focused more on the Witcher gear--the stuff you're almost certainly going to wear anyway--and then taken some of the resources used to make dozens of other armor sets and swords and instead made more axes and maces that actually handle differently from swords. That would've been fun.

Levantine posted:

I've never tried Flood of Anger but I think I'm going to when my next slot opens. I Aarded a bandit so hard yesterday he went flying over the horizon. I can't replicate it again but that might help! :v:

gently caress yeah Aard.

Time to mess around in the skill calculator for a while and see what the best mix of swords, signs, and alchemy skills I can pull off is. :v: I wonder if Blood and Wine will have more Places of Power for me to grab.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So, is there any kind of cheat or mod out there that allows Geralt to float or fly? There are some places that you clearly can't get to via normal means but I really need to in order to fulfill some compulsion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just so you know - you can also dodge by double-tapping a direction.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, I guess it's for the few people that really enjoy customization and fashion witcher.

The armor of the sun is pretty baller looking.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Harrow posted:

All the equipment recipes do seem kind of odd to me. I wish they'd focused more on the Witcher gear--the stuff you're almost certainly going to wear anyway--and then taken some of the resources used to make dozens of other armor sets and swords and instead made more axes and maces that actually handle differently from swords. That would've been fun.

Those are in there for the people who don't bother doing treasure hunts for Witcher gear. Not everyone is a Hardcore Goon who mines every small thing in the game

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Palpek posted:

Just so you know - you can also dodge by double-tapping a direction.

Huh that's good at least. Does it tell you that in the tutorial? I switched it over to my mouse immediately, I knew I'd hate it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MikeC posted:

Those are in there for the people who don't bother doing treasure hunts for Witcher gear. Not everyone is a Hardcore Goon who mines every small thing in the game

I suppose so, but it's also not like the treasure hunts are difficult, or particularly obscure. And the Witcher gear also looks the coolest, so even from a casual point of view I feel encouraged to use it over everything else.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Huh that's good at least. Does it tell you that in the tutorial? I switched it over to my mouse immediately, I knew I'd hate it.

I think it's something you can toggle in the options, so I don't think it's ever mentioned in an ingame tutorial or anything.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

I'm a bit late to this, but in HoS there is a new merchant/enchanter guy that can make it so your armor counts as light/medium/heavy no matter what it originally was. I used that in my old sign build with Ursine chest and then random signboosting witcher gear in the other slots and i was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the sign power cap. Super expensive to build up that merchant to that point tho.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Toiwat posted:

Right, thanks everyone! I'm having a blast with this. Kind of regret having put it off for so long.

You're better off waiting another week for the new UI changes and other poo poo the new DLC will bring.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I'm a bit late to this, but in HoS there is a new merchant/enchanter guy that can make it so your armor counts as light/medium/heavy no matter what it originally was. I used that in my old sign build with Ursine chest and then random signboosting witcher gear in the other slots and i was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the sign power cap. Super expensive to build up that merchant to that point tho.

That does seem pretty cool. If I can get enough money together, an Ursine gear (lots of extra Adrenaline) changed to light armor with Cat School Techniques could be an amazing crit build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Remember that in a week we'll be able to color any outfit however we wish and Witcher gear is getting set bonuses depending on how many elements you wear. It'll be pretty sweet.